Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • marleybones
    • By marleybones 5th Sep 17, 6:44 PM
    • 55Posts
    • 35Thanks
    marleybones
    Pre-employment credit check
    • 5th Sep 17, 6:44 PM
    Pre-employment credit check 5th Sep 17 at 6:44 PM
    Hi All,

I am in the process of gaining employment with Homeserve UK. I found out today that if successful I will be subject to a pre-employment credit check. I have a pretty poor credit history with a couple of CCJ's and Bankruptcy ( due to fall off my file April 2018 ). I have advised them of this but like me they are unsure if I would fail the checks and not be able to be employed. My application is frozen until I can gather a bit more info.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Page 1
    • Potbellypig
    • By Potbellypig 5th Sep 17, 7:05 PM
    • 119 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    Potbellypig
    • 5th Sep 17, 7:05 PM
    • 5th Sep 17, 7:05 PM
    Not sure what advice you're looking for.

I assume that this is a job which means you are dealing with money, in one way or another. If so, it's not uncommon for them to make sure you're financially savvy.
    • marleybones
    • By marleybones 5th Sep 17, 7:14 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    marleybones
    • 5th Sep 17, 7:14 PM
    • 5th Sep 17, 7:14 PM
    Not handling money specifically, it is a company dealing with home insurance so they are regulated by the FCA. I guess I am wondering what shows up on there version of a credit check. Would it show the same detail as if I were to apply for a credit card for example.
    • Potbellypig
    • By Potbellypig 5th Sep 17, 7:34 PM
    • 119 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    Potbellypig
    • 5th Sep 17, 7:34 PM
    • 5th Sep 17, 7:34 PM
    Not handling money specifically, it is a company dealing with home insurance so they are regulated by the FCA. I guess I am wondering what shows up on there version of a credit check. Would it show the same detail as if I were to apply for a credit card for example.
    Originally posted by marleybones
    Different to a regular check in that they can't see the specific details of your credit agreements, but they can see if you've had CCJ's or been bankrupt in the last 6 years.
    • marleybones
    • By marleybones 5th Sep 17, 8:07 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    marleybones
    • 5th Sep 17, 8:07 PM
    • 5th Sep 17, 8:07 PM
    Would the bankruptcy stop me being offered the role? Even though its discharged? Or is that company discretion?
    • Potbellypig
    • By Potbellypig 5th Sep 17, 8:33 PM
    • 119 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    Potbellypig
    • 5th Sep 17, 8:33 PM
    • 5th Sep 17, 8:33 PM
    Would the bankruptcy stop me being offered the role? Even though its discharged? Or is that company discretion?
    Potentially, yes. It's not a legal requirement not to employ someone who's previously been bankrupt though. Like you say, company/manager discretion.
    • ThisIsMe
    • By ThisIsMe 5th Sep 17, 9:45 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    ThisIsMe
    • 5th Sep 17, 9:45 PM
    • 5th Sep 17, 9:45 PM
    I work in retail and was looking at moving jobs last month. I applied to a company called McColl's and on the last page said if i was offered a job that would do a credit check.

Worked in retail all my life, since i was 16 and this was new to me. Hope it's not a sign of things to come.
    • marleybones
    • By marleybones 5th Sep 17, 10:52 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    marleybones
    • 5th Sep 17, 10:52 PM
    • 5th Sep 17, 10:52 PM
    It just shows that past mistakes can come back to haunt you.
    • Potbellypig
    • By Potbellypig 6th Sep 17, 9:18 AM
    • 119 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    Potbellypig
    • 6th Sep 17, 9:18 AM
    • 6th Sep 17, 9:18 AM
    It just shows that past mistakes can come back to haunt you.
    If you're offering people advice on monetary matters, or selling them a financial product, then being able to manage your own finances has got to be part of the job qualifications, in my opinion.

I'm not judging here, I went bankrupt too, by the way.

Just try to remember if it doesn't go your way, then it wasn't meant to be. Just keep trying and something else will come around eventually.
    • MEM62
    • By MEM62 6th Sep 17, 9:41 AM
    • 1,329 Posts
    • 949 Thanks
    MEM62
    It depends on the policies of the company to which you are applying for employment. Their concerns would be that, if you are financially stressed, you may present a higher risk of being likely to be susceptible to corruption or to commit fraud.
    • Gazzafatcityboy
    • By Gazzafatcityboy 6th Sep 17, 12:56 PM
    • 68 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    Gazzafatcityboy
    Hi there,

As other people have mentioned then if the company is FCA regulated then there is a high possibility that they will credit check you. I know for my credit checks for banks previously, if there was a CCJ, bankruptcy or any account in default I would fail the credit check. fingers crossed for you, let us know what happens.

Gaz
    • keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • By keepcalmandstayoutofdebt 7th Sep 17, 2:30 AM
    • 2,830 Posts
    • 1,478 Thanks
    keepcalmandstayoutofdebt

My application is frozen until I can gather a bit more info.

Any advice would be appreciated.
    What jokers. But I do wish for a change in the system. All the maybe's and clock and dagger rubbish of these so called screens needs to be a lot more transparent.

The last time this loomed over me knowingly and I only got wind of it by the offer letter, the company then put the following in writing what would happen once I asked.

Here's reply I got "It's just an identity and basic criminal record check And an Adverse Financial check as you will be working in xxxx and have access to customer data.

It doesn't leave a mark on your credit file and isn't looking for small things!"

The company concerned said that they understood some people may have had difficulties in the past, overall they were still up for me to start with a trial period - whilst I had come clean at the right time for a job paying little more then the NMW, I couldn't shake of the more awful feeling as if my 5 year DRO was just another wild of the imagination excuse not to work. you won't believe what I done next...

More recently having got another job on the rebound where I wouldn't have to discuss my dirty and somewhat old laundry with all and sundry, I'd gone with an offer of just a DBS check with a company that has nothing to do with the FCA (rumors has it now or someone has done a good job of winding me up, it also sneakily includes a financial check without ever making it clear) and the response I noted back from that particular screening company was "under current legislation xxxx is not able to discuss details of the screening with you, these conversations must be between you and the employer" so if nothing else I don't think it is entirely falls on you to find out your chances. They should know.
    "If you are caught in a rainstorm, once you accept that you'll receive a soaking, the only thing left to do is enjoy the walk"
    • cjv
    • By cjv 9th Sep 17, 8:47 PM
    • 87 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    cjv
    We have the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act to help people find employment and move on from their past mistakes.

There really should be some sort of Rehabilitation of Credit act too, so people do not have to wait the full 6 years to be confident a CCJ will not affect their future prospects!

Good luck and I hope you get the job
    • charmed1318
    • By charmed1318 9th Sep 17, 9:43 PM
    • 171 Posts
    • 27,991 Thanks
    charmed1318
    I work in retail and was looking at moving jobs last month. I applied to a company called McColl's and on the last page said if i was offered a job that would do a credit check.

Worked in retail all my life, since i was 16 and this was new to me. Hope it's not a sign of things to come.
    Originally posted by ThisIsMe
    I started working with McC0lls when I was 16, it was when I was promoted that the credit checks started. To my knowledge it's only a red flag of there are CCJ's and/or Bankruptcies as you are dealing with money.
    I have also applied to banks in recent years and the same applied.

It's funny how this seems to be an subject for discussion , as when I worked for an Insurance Brokers, we'd ask the question about being credit checked for monthly p/ments - I think - and no one said anything lol

• moxter
    • By moxter 11th Sep 17, 9:12 AM
    • 95 Posts
    • 92 Thanks
    moxter
    Credit checks for employment are unlikely to be a test of how financially savvy you are. It's more likely to be a check of how much debt, if any, you are in - and thus how much of a risk you are to things like bribery.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,401Posts Today

8,053Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin