Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Nathaniel Essex
    • By Nathaniel Essex 5th Sep 17, 5:32 PM
    • 55Posts
    • 33Thanks
    Nathaniel Essex
    Have you ever been robbed or burgled?
    • 5th Sep 17, 5:32 PM
    Have you ever been robbed or burgled? 5th Sep 17 at 5:32 PM
    Woke up this morning, went into the garden and noticed a little area in the corner was a lot neater than I usually have it. Turns out someone got into my garden and took my lawnmower, leaf blower and battery hedge cutter. The door to my garden is very flimsy and the majority of my neighbors don't even have gates. We live on a dead end and can literally walk into most of the neighbors gardens. I am thinking it was probably a delivery man (Amazon or a junk mail person) or one of the numerous tradesmen I have had come in recently to quote on various jobs as no one else, apart from the neighbors, walks past our house to even know it was there.

I was initially annoyed and felt slightly violated, but I guess it's better them taking £200 worth of gardening equipment and me putting up a proper gate than it being someone else who felt opportunistic on that day and instead broke into my home.
Page 1
    • I have spoken
    • By I have spoken 5th Sep 17, 5:44 PM
    • 4,963 Posts
    • 9,656 Thanks
    I have spoken
    • 5th Sep 17, 5:44 PM
    • 5th Sep 17, 5:44 PM
    This is definitely the time to improve your home security.

Unfortunately 'repeat victimisation' happens and your risk of burglary increases after after each incident after word gets around you were 'done'
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 5th Sep 17, 6:12 PM
    • 11,248 Posts
    • 7,522 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 5th Sep 17, 6:12 PM
    • 5th Sep 17, 6:12 PM
    Robbery and burglary are not the same thing.

Some forces class a theft from shed as exactly that, a theft and not even a burglary.

You need to secure your property better, as per the post above and ensure you have serial numbers of all items in the shed. It won't stop a theft/burglary but it may help if property is ever recovered.
    • Wassa123
    • By Wassa123 6th Sep 17, 11:13 AM
    • 267 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    Wassa123
    • 6th Sep 17, 11:13 AM
    • 6th Sep 17, 11:13 AM
    Add better security.
    - Better Gate
    - Lockable Gate
    - Potential real/fake cctv

A burglar can still get in whatever you do, you just need to make your place it look harder/more risky than the neighbours.
    • macman
    • By macman 6th Sep 17, 11:57 AM
    • 41,351 Posts
    • 17,001 Thanks
    macman
    • 6th Sep 17, 11:57 AM
    • 6th Sep 17, 11:57 AM
    If I read the OP's post correctly, they weren't in a shed, but on open display in the garden?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • Wassa123
    • By Wassa123 6th Sep 17, 12:22 PM
    • 267 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    Wassa123
    • 6th Sep 17, 12:22 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 12:22 PM
    I also don't get why they made it look neater!
    • jack_pott
    • By jack_pott 6th Sep 17, 12:43 PM
    • 4,263 Posts
    • 5,481 Thanks
    jack_pott
    • 6th Sep 17, 12:43 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 12:43 PM
    I've never been robbed or had the house burgled, but I've had stuff stolen from my dad's car, had my car stolen, and had stalkers at the house.

My cousin moved out of Bramley in Leeds after she was burgled 9 times in 10 years. Bramley has the highest burglary rate in the country.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 6th Sep 17, 1:55 PM
    • 11,248 Posts
    • 7,522 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 6th Sep 17, 1:55 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 1:55 PM
    If I read the OP's post correctly, they weren't in a shed, but on open display in the garden?
    Originally posted by macman
    My shed comment was an example that theft from something in the garden may end up being classed as a theft rather than a burglary. I never read the OP as having stuff stolen from a shed either.
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 6th Sep 17, 2:09 PM
    • 604 Posts
    • 311 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    • 6th Sep 17, 2:09 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 2:09 PM
    Robbery and burglary are not the same thing.

Some forces class a theft from shed as exactly that, a theft and not even a burglary.

You need to secure your property better, as per the post above and ensure you have serial numbers of all items in the shed. It won't stop a theft/burglary but it may help if property is ever recovered.
    Originally posted by theonlywayisup
    Not for recording purposes they don't, it will still be recorded as a burglary. The difference is it will be recorded over the phone and they will not attend the premises.
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 6th Sep 17, 2:10 PM
    • 604 Posts
    • 311 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    My shed comment was an example that theft from something in the garden may end up being classed as a theft rather than a burglary. I never read the OP as having stuff stolen from a shed either.
    Originally posted by theonlywayisup
    And was incorrect.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,413Posts Today

7,323Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin