Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Nathaniel Essex
    • By Nathaniel Essex 5th Sep 17, 5:20 PM
    • 55Posts
    • 33Thanks
    Nathaniel Essex
    Do you have trouble hiring tradesman?
    • 5th Sep 17, 5:20 PM
    Do you have trouble hiring tradesman? 5th Sep 17 at 5:20 PM
    When I moved into my new property, I started using sites like Checkatrade and Rated People to find tradesman. On a number of occasions I have people show up to quote and when I message back to get the work started they don't come back to me. It's amazing how often this happens.

Most recent example was hiring a guy to do some landscaping which included installing a pump and filter. When I had my initial call, I asked him for advice about which pump I should get to which is rudely replied "is it for me to do the work or what?" Not too sure what he meant by that, but invite him around to take a look. He came in, I told him what I wanted done and again asked the question about the pump to which he kept dodging the question until I pressed him one last time. He again responded the same to which he done on our call but added that "he will sort it all out".

I now realise must have been under the impression I was trying to get some free advice or something. I simply asked him as the expert what pump I should buy. Long story short, it's been 3 weeks and have no heard from him since. Also wanted to get artificial grass installed, went through a company called Nam Grass, someone came over, quoted but when it came to the day of doing the work no a peep.
Page 1
    • SuzieSue
    • By SuzieSue 5th Sep 17, 5:36 PM
    • 3,679 Posts
    • 3,977 Thanks
    SuzieSue
    • 5th Sep 17, 5:36 PM
    • 5th Sep 17, 5:36 PM
    Yes, it is a problem. The good tradesmen are booked up for months and the bad ones are immediately available.

We have a leak from our shower and are trying to find someone decent to look at it but the decent bathroom fitters are booked up for months.

It looks like we will have to use a plumber or handyman but we have no idea if he will do it properly.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 5th Sep 17, 8:25 PM
    • 23,965 Posts
    • 66,528 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 5th Sep 17, 8:25 PM
    • 5th Sep 17, 8:25 PM
    That guy wasn't an expert at all. If he'd have known, he'd have just told you.

Why are you trying to get him to come back!
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • Kiran
    • By Kiran 6th Sep 17, 7:33 AM
    • 1,125 Posts
    • 498 Thanks
    Kiran
    • 6th Sep 17, 7:33 AM
    • 6th Sep 17, 7:33 AM
    That guy wasn't an expert at all. If he'd have known, he'd have just told you.

Why are you trying to get him to come back!
    Originally posted by Doozergirl
    Exactly right. If you ask someone who knows what they are talking about a question like yours, then you should have been given a couple of possibilities the "fiat or Ferrari" options. The recommendation costs him/her nothing and helps them gauge what you are really looking for. It would be a different matter had you asked them to undertake an inspection or calculations.
    Some people don't exaggerate........... They just remember big!
    • Furts
    • By Furts 6th Sep 17, 7:41 AM
    • 3,561 Posts
    • 2,227 Thanks
    Furts
    • 6th Sep 17, 7:41 AM
    • 6th Sep 17, 7:41 AM
    Perhaps a reality check is needed here. To give two examples. a bricklayer, or plasterer is a skilled building trades person. Such trades are in demand and can earn a decent living. OP wanted a landscaper - not a typical time served apprenticeship skill. Instead this is an industry with copious folks who cut lawns. So what did OP really expect when making the enquiry?

Then take the company undertaking artificial grass installation. This is today's must have, yet five years back it was almost unheard of. It is introduced as a "home improvement" and consequently dubious folks come out of the woodwork claiming to be artificial grass "experts".
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 6th Sep 17, 9:27 AM
    • 23,556 Posts
    • 89,410 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 6th Sep 17, 9:27 AM
    • 6th Sep 17, 9:27 AM
    I will give you a third scenario; a skilled person who knows their limitations and doesn't give you BS.

My plasterer is like that. He builds at least one house a year, but his true love is farming, which is a funny old mix! He works on building and animal husbandry 7 days a week, from dawn to after dusk. It's obvious that he enjoys both more than being at home or in the pub.

He's fine, so long as what's required is just plain old plastering and rendering, but ask for coving or something fancy and he'll soon tell you where to go!

Maybe your landscaper is similarly limited, so water, outdoor electrics, filter systems + all the parephenalia that go with them aren't in his suit of skills.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • david1951
    • By david1951 6th Sep 17, 9:41 AM
    • 365 Posts
    • 413 Thanks
    david1951
    • 6th Sep 17, 9:41 AM
    • 6th Sep 17, 9:41 AM
    I sympathise, but think you fell at the first hurdle. As soon as a tradesperson is rude or you get a bad feeling (before the job...), thank them and move on. You may never know why they didn't want the work but there is no point trying to find out. It will only get worse as the job progresses.

Competent consumers attract competent tradespeople. Be polite, promise to pay on time and offer tea & biscuits when they come round. Use recommendations and try to see examples before you go ahead.

I agree that it can be very difficult, especially for small jobs. Friends of friends are a good starting point here I think.
    • C_Mababejive
    • By C_Mababejive 6th Sep 17, 10:32 AM
    • 10,295 Posts
    • 9,340 Thanks
    C_Mababejive
    • 6th Sep 17, 10:32 AM
    • 6th Sep 17, 10:32 AM
    Shall i let you into a trade secret? Mostly the good guys who are professionals in their filed do not advertise on sites such as checkatrade or rated people. They have full order books and people come to them. They dont need to entice trade.

Such websites are set up by people/organisations for the purposes of trying to cheapen what are skilled professions.

Do you ever see any dentists,lawyers,estate agents, or anything similar advertised on there? No? why not?

I have nearly 40 years in my particular area of expertise and i wouldnt touch such sites with a barge pole.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
    • giraffe69
    • By giraffe69 6th Sep 17, 11:12 AM
    • 2,206 Posts
    • 1,940 Thanks
    giraffe69
    • 6th Sep 17, 11:12 AM
    • 6th Sep 17, 11:12 AM
    I find the Parish Magazine a good source of cheap reliable tradesmen.
    • JEN22
    • By JEN22 6th Sep 17, 11:14 AM
    • 341 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    JEN22
    Where have all the timed served tradesmen gone??????????
    • stator
    • By stator 6th Sep 17, 11:17 AM
    • 5,891 Posts
    • 3,874 Thanks
    stator
    Where have all the timed served tradesmen gone??????????
    Originally posted by JEN22
    Costa del Sol
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
    • stator
    • By stator 6th Sep 17, 11:21 AM
    • 5,891 Posts
    • 3,874 Thanks
    stator
    I am having the same problem as the OP although I haven't been using websites, I've been using google and yell reviews etc.

If someone isn't interested in the work I wish they would just say so. Ignoring someone is so petty and unprofessional.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
    • C_Mababejive
    • By C_Mababejive 6th Sep 17, 11:32 AM
    • 10,295 Posts
    • 9,340 Thanks
    C_Mababejive
    Costa del Sol
    Originally posted by stator

Where have all the so called polish plumbers gone that we were told were so good, so hard working and so reliable? Answer, they were largely a media myth and those who did hire them did so because they were cheap. Most of them actually blagged it that they were qualified. I was speaking to a builder only last week who told me a homeowner had practically begged im to come and fix his house as he had had so called polish builders in on the cheap, they had aborted it, and he had had to fire them.

On the other side of the coin i know a couple who have waited all year for a certain builder to start their extension. hey knew at the start o the year it would start in october but were prepared to wait because he has that most valuable of assets,a great reputation for being competent and doing a great job.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 6th Sep 17, 12:42 PM
    • 23,965 Posts
    • 66,528 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    If you walk down any street in Central London at the moment, there seem to be at least three building sites on each one.

That's where all the tradespeople are. Working for larger companies.

Working small jobs for homeowners is a thankless task. No one wants to do it, especially when you can earn your day rate regularly subcontracting on long, ongoing jobs with virtually guaranteed payment from people you know.

One plasterer I know is a paramedic now. He got fed up trying to get paid for jobs he'd done.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • tori.k
    • By tori.k 6th Sep 17, 4:22 PM
    • 2,890 Posts
    • 6,532 Thanks
    tori.k
    Don't discount the idea of a decent handyman.We found ourselves a decent general builder/ handyman from word of mouth, he is a true gift, as even when there has been jobs outside of his skill set, he's put us in touch with the right people to get a job done. I guess because he can vouch for us we've never found issue with getting jobs done professionally and quickly even if it's had to be done in an evening after normal working hours.
    Debit to Credit (stage 1) 3652.34 completed 15/10/16
    Debit to Credit (stage 2) 6299.09 completed 25/06/17
    Last Castle 150,000/ 25300
    • C_Mababejive
    • By C_Mababejive 7th Sep 17, 11:07 AM
    • 10,295 Posts
    • 9,340 Thanks
    C_Mababejive
    If you walk down any street in Central London at the moment, there seem to be at least three building sites on each one.

That's where all the tradespeople are. Working for larger companies.

Working small jobs for homeowners is a thankless task. No one wants to do it, especially when you can earn your day rate regularly subcontracting on long, ongoing jobs with virtually guaranteed payment from people you know.

One plasterer I know is a paramedic now. He got fed up trying to get paid for jobs he'd done.
    Originally posted by Doozergirl
    This is troue. People get fed up with day to day punters/householders. They have been fed a media diet of carp from Dom Littlewood and the likes that paints the whole profession of home services as rip off bodgers. Everyone wants it tomorrow,they want it cheap and they want the best. After a while you just blank them and walk away. Let them go get it cheap.
    • owitemisermusa
    • By owitemisermusa 7th Sep 17, 12:17 PM
    • 934 Posts
    • 278 Thanks
    owitemisermusa
    I sympathise, but think you fell at the first hurdle. As soon as a tradesperson is rude or you get a bad feeling (before the job...), thank them and move on. You may never know why they didn't want the work but there is no point trying to find out. It will only get worse as the job progresses.

Competent consumers attract competent tradespeople. Be polite, promise to pay on time and offer tea & biscuits when they come round. Use recommendations and try to see examples before you go ahead.

I agree that it can be very difficult, especially for small jobs. Friends of friends are a good starting point here I think.
    Originally posted by david1951
    QFT!!!!!!
    I'm regretting hiring a builder after the initial meeting was not exactly pleasant. Had an argument over my needs and I am wondering why I was so stupid in using him.
    Lesson learned.
    Tough times never last longer than tough people.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

179Posts Today

1,761Users online

Martin's Twitter