Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mr Omi
    • By Mr Omi 5th Sep 17, 5:11 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Mr Omi
    0 WOW
    Help needed challenging Budget Car Hire damage charges
    • 5th Sep 17, 5:11 PM
    0 WOW
    Help needed challenging Budget Car Hire damage charges 5th Sep 17 at 5:11 PM
    Hi all, and apologies if this is in the wrong place. As far as I can tell though, this does appear to be the correct forum, so here goes.

I visited Barcelona for the weekend in March, and booked a rental car through Budget via Ryanair. To cut a long story short, we arrived towards the end of the day, the wait was interminably long (nearly 2 hours) to collect, and I personally found the staff both rude and unhelpful. In the end, I was finally given my key and sent on my way to find my car. I have rented cars several times previously, and would normally have insisted on a receipt to highlight and agree on any damages before driving away, but at this point I completely overlooked it. I DID inspect the car though, and as nothing obvious stood out I went on my way.

When returning the car two days later, the office was again busy, and the staff were again unhelpful and asked me to just hand over the keys. Knowing I hadn't damaged the car in any way (I am EXTREMELY careful when driving abroad), and not wanting to have my time wasted again, I handed them over and made my way to catch my flight. I must confess that I would ordinarily have insisted on a signed receipt confirming everything was in order, but again this was overlooked.

Fast forward to a couple of months ago, I found my credit card had been billed for £347, which obviously came as a surprise to me. When I raised it with my CC company, they informed me Budget had billed me, and I requested them to investigate it as to my knowledge this should not have occurred. It has now (finally) been investigated, and Budget have told them I damaged the car and broken down the charges incurred. They claim I damaged the bumper, and sent a photo of said bumper a short while after I returned the car, but I know for a certainty this was nothing to do with me

I obviously intend to fight this, but before I do I would like to know if I have a leg to stand on at all without a signed receipt? Is there not a responsibility on them to prove the alleged damage happened while the car was in my position rather than theirs? Can someone please give me some advice on how I can challenge this?

Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • Mr Omi
    • By Mr Omi 5th Sep 17, 5:43 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Mr Omi
    • 5th Sep 17, 5:43 PM
    • 5th Sep 17, 5:43 PM
    thanks for your reply. I didn't take one out.
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 5th Sep 17, 6:01 PM
    • 711 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    WAYT
    • 5th Sep 17, 6:01 PM
    • 5th Sep 17, 6:01 PM
    If you took pictures or/and a video beforehand, you'll have two legs on which to stand.
    With whom is your car hire excess policy?
    If no insurance, you clearly decided to self insure and this is the result.
    You can write to head office and insist, but with no proof you will rely on good will.

Have you tried calling Ryanair? +442038135880

If no go, try the email in your PM inbox.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

253Posts Today

1,307Users online

Martin's Twitter