Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Garethgtt
    • By Garethgtt 5th Sep 17, 4:15 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Garethgtt
    Company Car
    • 5th Sep 17, 4:15 PM
    Company Car 5th Sep 17 at 4:15 PM
    I've worked for a company for 1 year and I had the option of a company car, which I took.

Last month I had my payslip and my tax code was changed and I had paid an extra £400 in tax, I called HMRC and they told me my employer never informed them I was a company car user and I owed them about £2000 in tax.
    Speaking to my employer they basically said they didn't have a requirement to inform HMRC and it was my responsibility.

As you can imagine I was really angry, firstly because I've had numerous jobs with company cars and never
    Have I had to inform HMRC myself I had a company car.
    This extra £400 a month it enough to put me in debt everymonth, I have a wife and child to support.

Can anyone offer any advice as to whether I have any legal recourse regarding this?
Page 1
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 5th Sep 17, 4:23 PM
    • 10,843 Posts
    • 7,075 Thanks
    Caz3121
    • 5th Sep 17, 4:23 PM
    • 5th Sep 17, 4:23 PM
    some of this can depend on dates - your employer will issue a P11D around May time which will show your BIK for the previous tax period that the tax office can see but this could, as in your case, be long after the effect so checking and notifying them yourself is advisable (to avoid underpayment)
    this can be done online https://www.gov.uk/update-company-car-details
    Tax office will also issue an annual coding notice - did you notice the car benefit was missing from that?
    • Garethgtt
    • By Garethgtt 5th Sep 17, 4:32 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Garethgtt
    • 5th Sep 17, 4:32 PM
    • 5th Sep 17, 4:32 PM
    I started working for them in Sept last year so look to have fallen in between those dates.
    I never checked myself because naively assumed I didn't need to be aware of it or didn't know what I was supposed to see.
    Do HMRC allow you to pay the extra owed by credit card? As I'd rather just pay it all off at once
    • purdyoaten2
    • By purdyoaten2 5th Sep 17, 4:49 PM
    • 709 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    purdyoaten2
    • 5th Sep 17, 4:49 PM
    • 5th Sep 17, 4:49 PM
    Speaking to my employer they basically said they didn't have a requirement to inform HMRC and it was my responsibility.
    Originally posted by Garethgtt
    Really?

https://www.gov.uk/tell-hmrc-company-car

Looks like your employer needs a refresher course - 2 November 2016 looks like the deadline.

You can pay by credit card (small surcharge) but wait for the bill!
    Last edited by purdyoaten2; 05-09-2017 at 4:51 PM.
    purdyoaten lost his password
    • Garethgtt
    • By Garethgtt 6th Sep 17, 5:50 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Garethgtt
    • 6th Sep 17, 5:50 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 5:50 PM
    As I am leaving this job this month, how do you think I can approach this issue or do I just need to chalk it to experience at working for an inept company and just pay it?
    • ghostfinder
    • By ghostfinder 6th Sep 17, 6:33 PM
    • 174 Posts
    • 128 Thanks
    ghostfinder
    • 6th Sep 17, 6:33 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 6:33 PM
    chalk it up.

Had this many years ago, ended up paying £250 a month for a year to the tax man.

I call the IR the same day my car is changed now, makes life easier
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

186Posts Today

1,287Users online

Martin's Twitter