Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AsaBlade
    • By AsaBlade 5th Sep 17, 3:43 PM
    • 12Posts
    • 2Thanks
    AsaBlade
    Mobile Camera Speeding Offence "Rolling Footage"
    • 5th Sep 17, 3:43 PM
    Mobile Camera Speeding Offence "Rolling Footage" 5th Sep 17 at 3:43 PM
    Hi all.

Any advice is most welcome.

I have today received a Notice of Intended Prosecution for an alleged speeding offence of travelling at 36mph in a 30mph zone.

I have reviewed the photographic evidence provided it suggests that I was doing 29mph at the time of the alleged offence. I also have tracking information on the vehicle which suggests that I was doing 29mph too (and certainly at no point did I exceed 30mph).

I decided to contact the Camera Partnership to confirm the time lapse between the two photos that they provided me with in order to decide whether to challenge the case in court. However, the representative at the Camera Partnership informed me that the evidence wasn't obtained through time lapse shots (as a Gatso camera would at 0.5s or 0.7s intervals), but rather, they said the evidence was of "rolling footage". They went on to say that the rolling footage shows me doing 36mph and then slowing to around 21mph as I passed the speed van.

My questions are:

1. Has anyone had any encounters with these types of speed cameras - that use rolling footage rather than time lapse shots?

2. How do they work to calculate your speed from ONE frame (as was suggested)?

3. Are they reliable?

4. Has anyone successfully appealed a NIP that used this type of camera?

I wouldn't usually go to these lengths to challenge something like this (although this is my 1st alleged speeding offence after 21 years of driving in excess of 40,000 miles a year) but I remember the day as clearly as it were yesterday. I actually had my vehicle on cruise control set at 30mph around 500 yards or so prior to the van being sighted (or the van being able to spot me). I then cancelled the cruise control as I approached the van as traffic was slowing in front of me (hence the speed registering around 21mph as I passed the van).

Now if I was speeding then hands up - I accept my punishment and take it on the chin. However, my recollection of the event, coupled with the tracking data (which shows me doing 42mph in a 40mph zone a few miles prior and highlights this on my print out) and with the photographic evidence they have supplied makes me really want to challenge the NIP but I'm unsure as to how these types of cameras work.

I just don't see how it could have registered 36mph when I was set on CC at 30mph.

NB - The road is dead flat - no chance of vehicle runaway while on CC.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

AD.
Page 4
    • Alter ego
    • By Alter ego 13th Sep 17, 3:23 PM
    • 2,077 Posts
    • 1,987 Thanks
    Alter ego
    Don't forget old wooden rules have an extra eighth of an inch each end
    Ignore me if you like, it's not the real me anyway.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 13th Sep 17, 3:33 PM
    • 15,099 Posts
    • 13,415 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Originally posted by Alter ego
    What's an "inch", Grandad?
    • wgl2014
    • By wgl2014 13th Sep 17, 4:19 PM
    • 278 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    wgl2014
    Originally posted by Alter ego
    Sometimes an extra eighth of an inch is all you need!

It is getting colder this time of year.
    • Manxman in exile
    • By Manxman in exile 13th Sep 17, 5:10 PM
    • 821 Posts
    • 542 Thanks
    Manxman in exile
    Let's face it - we're all marking time waiting for the OP to come back with the "evidence".
    • facade
    • By facade 13th Sep 17, 7:02 PM
    • 2,838 Posts
    • 1,442 Thanks
    facade
    Presumably you mean 98% accuracy? If not, that's a pretty poor surveyor's wheel. I'd get more accuracy from a hammer.
    Originally posted by Aylesbury Duck
    Not if you tried to measure out 1/4 mile by turning the hammer over end to end

The trundle wheel needs to have no slippage and driven exactly over the distance (no meandering from side to side, skidding over potholes or going up and down speedhumps) as well as being made so the circumference is accurately known in the first place.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • Manxman in exile
    • By Manxman in exile 13th Sep 17, 7:37 PM
    • 821 Posts
    • 542 Thanks
    Manxman in exile
    What's an "inch", Grandad?
    Originally posted by AdrianC

But you know what an eighth is, yoof?
    • Manxman in exile
    • By Manxman in exile 13th Sep 17, 11:21 PM
    • 821 Posts
    • 542 Thanks
    Manxman in exile

Once I've received the further evidence from the Camera Partnership I'll post back.
    Originally posted by AsaBlade

That was a week ago. Have you received anything and, if so, what does it show? If it shows you weren't speeding (because of the technology) it really needs to be broadcast as wide as possible so that other innocent drivers are not prosecuted.

So does the"evidence" (I presume you've received by now) show that a car with your reg no was captured speeding or not?

I hope you come back (as promised) OP, because it helps other posters in a similar predicament. If you have found a problem with speed measurement (I doubt it) please tell us. Otherwise it's a bit disingenuous to ask for advice on this forum.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 14th Sep 17, 7:44 AM
    • 15,099 Posts
    • 13,415 Thanks
    AdrianC
    But you know what an eighth is, yoof?
    Originally posted by Manxman in exile
    Half of a quarter...? 0.125x?

As for "yoof"... Well, I probably seem it - I was born (just) post-decimalisation...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,676Posts Today

6,647Users online

Martin's Twitter