Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SkipWoes
    • By SkipWoes 5th Sep 17, 3:16 PM
    • 13Posts
    • 16Thanks
    SkipWoes
    Skip left on my property
    • 5th Sep 17, 3:16 PM
    Skip left on my property 5th Sep 17 at 3:16 PM
    Looking for advice.
    I had some trouble with my builders and had to get rid of them. They left a skip they hired on my property and filled it with rubbish from other jobs. They wont remove it and the skip hire company wont remove it unless the builder pays them (although i think they are mates and in it together anyway).

How can i get rid of this skip ????

I've already written to the builder and informed them ill be charging day rent, but they dont care. There must be some way to force them to remove it!!???
Page 5
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 8th Sep 17, 11:32 AM
    • 2,125 Posts
    • 3,119 Thanks
    EachPenny
    Thanks, i have reported them for Fly tipping and i do have video footage of it ;-)
    Originally posted by SkipWoes
    Looked into this; they dont have a waste carriers licence in there company name. They do have one in a company name that does not exist, but even that is the wrong type of licence to allow them to transport building/construction waste. I also have video footage of them doing it.
    As Doozergirl suggests, don't expect the company to get 'done' for flytipping (the issue is more about unlawful transport and 'storage' of waste) but the involvement of the council (and/or EA) might be sufficient for the builder and/or skip company to decide it would be sensible to remove the skip asap.

Hope the council are able to offer you some kind of help.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 8th Sep 17, 11:41 AM
    • 2,125 Posts
    • 3,119 Thanks
    EachPenny
    When you say "you", there is nothing to say that it wasn't the owner of the skip who placed the skip where it is.

Whoever it is that reports the skip being on the road to the council will only be able to say they see a skip with a company name on the side.

Nothing to do with the OP, especially if it's empty.
    Originally posted by pimento
    The person who commissioned the skip to be placed on the road would be the one held liable if the skip caused some kind of accident (which do happen on a relatively frequent basis).

If the council and/or police investigated how the skip came to be on the road the owning skip company would be able to identify the OP's builder as the hirer, and the OP as the person on whose property the skip was originally positioned. It wouldn't be rocket science to work out the OP was the one who arranged for the skip to be relocated.

A reputable skip company are not going to get themselves involved in taking a skip from private property and 'dumping' it on the public highway. They would value their own waste carriers licence too highly to risk doing something which could result in a criminal prosecution.

The OP is following the correct route. Involve the council/EA in trying to get the skip removed, and if that fails to then go down a legal route of having the skip removed and recovering the costs from the builder.
    • david1951
    • By david1951 8th Sep 17, 12:22 PM
    • 359 Posts
    • 410 Thanks
    david1951
    The OP is following the correct route. Involve the council/EA in trying to get the skip removed, and if that fails to then go down a legal route of having the skip removed and recovering the costs from the builder.
    Originally posted by EachPenny
    I agree. The 'creative' suggestions on here will, at best, involve loads of unnecessary hassle, and at worst cause more problems than they solve.

Dragging a skip? Come on...
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 8th Sep 17, 12:31 PM
    • 2,125 Posts
    • 3,119 Thanks
    EachPenny
    Dragging a skip? Come on...
    Originally posted by david1951
    It is obvious some of the suggestions involve either levity or levitation... not always clear which
    • pimento
    • By pimento 8th Sep 17, 12:35 PM
    • 5,186 Posts
    • 6,737 Thanks
    pimento
    I agree the legal route is better but me and my dad dragged a six yard skip into position (about 10 feet) on my drive. It was empty but it didn't take much effort and I'm a girl.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
    • SkipWoes
    • By SkipWoes 8th Sep 17, 1:18 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    SkipWoes
    Lol, thanks everyone. I really did not expect to get so many responses!.
    I originally tried telling the builder id charge him storage fees, but hes ignored me.

Ive tried pressuring the builder with threats of reporting him as he does not have a waste carriers licence. Thats failed so ive reported him the the EA. Ill see if they decide to do something.

The next thing im trying is sending a letter to the skip company giving them 10 days to remove it, after which i will use the statutory rights and powers of sale (as exists under Torts Act 1977, s.12 of the Act) to sell the skip.

Ill update the thread on progress to let future readers know how i got on, when they come here with similar problems.

Again, thanks everyone!

PS: Anyone want to buy a skip ?
    • Wookey
    • By Wookey 8th Sep 17, 1:28 PM
    • 795 Posts
    • 398 Thanks
    Wookey

PS: Anyone want to buy a skip ?
    Lol, only if you deliver....
    Norn Iron Club member No 353
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 8th Sep 17, 1:59 PM
    • 229 Posts
    • 115 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    When you say "you", there is nothing to say that it wasn't the owner of the skip who placed the skip where it is.

Whoever it is that reports the skip being on the road to the council will only be able to say they see a skip with a company name on the side.

Nothing to do with the OP, especially if it's empty.
    It is if he's placing it on the road, which he would be doing.
    • decbel
    • By decbel 8th Sep 17, 5:10 PM
    • 1,399 Posts
    • 1,496 Thanks
    decbel
    I agree the legal route is better but me and my dad dragged a six yard skip into position (about 10 feet) on my drive. It was empty but it didn't take much effort and I'm a girl.

yes.

You can move an empty skip but you have to be careful how you position it.

This happened to me.

I had a skip delivered into which I deposited loads of stone.

I asked the driver if he was happy with how he positioned the 8 yard skip on my drive. I never moved it.

The problem was he put it too far back. The skip lorry that picks the full ones up are larger than the ones that deliver he empty ones. The arm on the heavier lorry wouldn't reach. It's shorter as the weight is heavier.

So with chains they had to drag it. It marked my drive. I never did anything about it (probably should have) but the scrapes with rain have gone.
    • decbel
    • By decbel 10th Sep 17, 11:49 AM
    • 1,399 Posts
    • 1,496 Thanks
    decbel
    8 yard skip on ebay now up to £255 with free delivery.
    • firely2327
    • By firely2327 10th Sep 17, 9:00 PM
    • 125 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    firely2327
    Lots of silly advice

I suggest writing a letter to the skip hire company. Then if they fail to do so, take them to court.

Do you have legal cover on your home insurance?
    Originally posted by stator

A sensible answer! Though I am partial to the readymix idea too....
    • bris
    • By bris 10th Sep 17, 11:16 PM
    • 6,828 Posts
    • 5,855 Thanks
    bris
    Decant it into another skip and get it taken away, then grind out all the companies markings, stick it on freecycle and have it taken away.

When they come back tell them its gone and you thought they took it away.

For the legal way google "Involuntary bailee" a lot of Landlord stuff comes up but it's all the same and the process you must go through to get the job done legally.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 11th Sep 17, 8:00 AM
    • 13,434 Posts
    • 36,609 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    tell the skip company you have spoken to a friend who runs another skip company who have offered to remove it for free for you if its still there in a week, skips cost money and they won't want to risk loosing it
    Don't put it in writing just phone them, your not stealing it or selling it and there is no contract between you and the company it belongs to as your builder hired it not you so you are not responsible for it, that's what I did about 6 months ago and they turned up the next day and removed it. Most skip companies are run by dubious "gentle travelling irish folk" and they are more than happy to weld over the old companies name or give it a quick paint job, remember you didn't ask them to put it there or agree any terms your builder did so if it goes missing its his problem not yours
    Originally posted by kaya
    Duh! That was the sound of "penny just dropping" - and drawing the connection as to why "illicit caravan parking" by a group of caravans so often results in a load of rubbish being left for us Council taxpayers to pay to clear up.

I hadnt realised that....
    If there's "4 tendencies" type of people (Gretchen Rubin) = yep....Questioner type here
    - Meets an expectation only if they believe it's justified and resists anything arbitrary or ineffective
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 11th Sep 17, 9:54 AM
    • 23,743 Posts
    • 66,088 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    Duh! That was the sound of "penny just dropping" - and drawing the connection as to why "illicit caravan parking" by a group of caravans so often results in a load of rubbish being left for us Council taxpayers to pay to clear up.

I hadnt realised that....
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    Utter rubbish. The comment you reply to makes sweeping generalisations

Skip companies are legitimate businesses with premises and proper waste carrying permits from the Environment Agency. I can't think I've ever even encountered a 'gentle Irish' skip lorry driver. Businesses couldn't reasonably be run whilst travelling.

Any travellers leaving rubbish behind them is because they have no respect and it has nothing to do with running Waste removal businesses.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 18th Sep 17, 8:34 AM
    • 540 Posts
    • 501 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    Any update on this?
    • SkipWoes
    • By SkipWoes 18th Sep 17, 9:22 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    SkipWoes
    Update
    Not much really to update. Have sent a recorded letter to tell them i will take common law possession of the skip in 10 days using the statutory rights and powers of sale (as exists under Torts Act 1977, s.12 of the Act) by acting as the baliee.
    No response as of yet.

However, my new builders seem to also know the skip company owner and have said they will speak to him and put an offer to pay for the one skip to remove it (ill be forking out £300 though!).
    The old builder owes them for 4 skips though (which im not paying for!), so let see.

Will update when/if anything happens.
    • SkipWoes
    • By SkipWoes 19th Sep 17, 4:35 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    SkipWoes
    Update
    So my new builder spoke to the skip company owner and agreed to remove skip if i paid for it. Not ideal, but at least its gone.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

738Posts Today

5,949Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin