Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SkipWoes
    • By SkipWoes 5th Sep 17, 3:16 PM
    • 13Posts
    • 18Thanks
    SkipWoes
    Skip left on my property
    • 5th Sep 17, 3:16 PM
    Skip left on my property 5th Sep 17 at 3:16 PM
    Looking for advice.
    I had some trouble with my builders and had to get rid of them. They left a skip they hired on my property and filled it with rubbish from other jobs. They wont remove it and the skip hire company wont remove it unless the builder pays them (although i think they are mates and in it together anyway).

How can i get rid of this skip ????

I've already written to the builder and informed them ill be charging day rent, but they dont care. There must be some way to force them to remove it!!???
Page 4
    • kaya
    • By kaya 7th Sep 17, 3:30 PM
    • 2,346 Posts
    • 2,725 Thanks
    kaya
    tell the skip company you have spoken to a friend who runs another skip company who have offered to remove it for free for you if its still there in a week, skips cost money and they won't want to risk loosing it
    Don't put it in writing just phone them, your not stealing it or selling it and there is no contract between you and the company it belongs to as your builder hired it not you so you are not responsible for it, that's what I did about 6 months ago and they turned up the next day and removed it. Most skip companies are run by dubious "gentle travelling irish folk" and they are more than happy to weld over the old companies name or give it a quick paint job, remember you didn't ask them to put it there or agree any terms your builder did so if it goes missing its his problem not yours
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 7th Sep 17, 3:58 PM
    • 600 Posts
    • 309 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    tell the skip company you have spoken to a friend who runs another skip company who have offered to remove it for free for you if its still there in a week, skips cost money and they won't want to risk loosing it
    Don't put it in writing just phone them, your not stealing it or selling it and there is no contract between you and the company it belongs to as your builder hired it not you so you are not responsible for it, that's what I did about 6 months ago and they turned up the next day and removed it. Most skip companies are run by dubious "gentle travelling irish folk" and they are more than happy to weld over the old companies name or give it a quick paint job, remember you didn't ask them to put it there or agree any terms your builder did so if it goes missing its his problem not yours
    Originally posted by kaya
    Technically it would be theft.
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 7th Sep 17, 4:01 PM
    • 600 Posts
    • 309 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    I wonder just how much a skip is worth if you sold it?
    Originally posted by bertiewhite
    There's one about to go on eBay for £200. 182750315079
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 7th Sep 17, 4:12 PM
    • 711 Posts
    • 749 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    Technically it would be theft.
    Originally posted by Warwick Hunt
    Only if they fail to put everything in writing - - "If a trader has left property behind, you may be allowed to keep them, sell them or get rid of them as the trader is in breach of contact if goods were not collected by an agreed date"
    • decbel
    • By decbel 7th Sep 17, 4:21 PM
    • 1,494 Posts
    • 1,616 Thanks
    decbel
    There's one about to go on eBay for £200. 182750315079
    £205 now.

Nice skip.

One with the pull down flap.

Be interesting to see what it goes for.

A possible avenue for the OP.

i'M amazed really that the existing skip company won't pick it up.
    Last edited by decbel; 07-09-2017 at 4:25 PM.
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 7th Sep 17, 4:23 PM
    • 711 Posts
    • 749 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    £205 now.

Nice skip.

One with the pull down flap.
    Originally posted by decbel
    OP -I'll give you £100 for yours, collect tomorrow - no questions asked, ok?
    • stator
    • By stator 7th Sep 17, 4:28 PM
    • 5,894 Posts
    • 3,877 Thanks
    stator
    It'll cost more than that to dispose of the waste in it.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
    • decbel
    • By decbel 7th Sep 17, 4:30 PM
    • 1,494 Posts
    • 1,616 Thanks
    decbel
    Originally posted by stator
    There lies the conundrum.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 7th Sep 17, 5:28 PM
    • 30,302 Posts
    • 18,118 Thanks
    getmore4less
    Originally posted by stator
    There lies the conundrum.
    Originally posted by decbel
    they just leave the contents on the drive.
    • decbel
    • By decbel 7th Sep 17, 5:33 PM
    • 1,494 Posts
    • 1,616 Thanks
    decbel
    For the hell of it I've trying been to find out how much a brand new 8 yard skip would cost.

Can't find one.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 7th Sep 17, 5:56 PM
    • 23,564 Posts
    • 89,423 Thanks
    Davesnave
    I once got rid of a skip very quickly, without payment.

Came home from work to find the skip I'd requested stuck right in my gateway blocking it, instead of on the drive, where there would have been space to walk around it. Worse than that, the drop-down part faced the road, where I couldn't access it.

'Phoned the company and explained my dilemma, adding, "and your idiot driver put it around the wrong way!"

"I am the idiot driver!" said the voice on the other end, adding a string of expletives and questioning whether my parents had ever married.

About half an hour later, the skip was loaded and the lorry roared off.

As someone said, "Gentle..... folk."
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 7th Sep 17, 6:14 PM
    • 522 Posts
    • 419 Thanks
    scd3scd4
    Get the local rag involved with you standing beside it with a sad face. maybe a couple of kids and a dog would also help. The rag will hopefully name the company or get a picture with the name in the picture. Most don't want publicity or bad press.
    • Litchielou
    • By Litchielou 7th Sep 17, 7:40 PM
    • 114 Posts
    • 609 Thanks
    Litchielou
    Get local newspaper involved, spread all trueful information on any review sites for both companies, Facebook and Twitter also a good place to start.
    This will hopefully hit there reputation.
    • baldelectrician
    • By baldelectrician 8th Sep 17, 12:23 AM
    • 2,124 Posts
    • 1,322 Thanks
    baldelectrician
    Do the skip company belong to a trade organisation?

You could complain to that.

Have you called trading standards?

I would suggest you organise your own skip to dispose of the waste and ask them to deliver the skip on site to the rightful owner.
    baldly going on...
    • SkipWoes
    • By SkipWoes 8th Sep 17, 9:06 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    SkipWoes
    The OP says that the builders rented the skip, so if they are now using it to place waste from other jobs on the OP's land, it is fly-tipping, which is a criminal, not a civil offence.

I think this avenue is worth exploring, but much depends on how pro-active the council's staff are and how easy it will be to prove. Video evidence, possibly.
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    Thanks, i have reported them for Fly tipping and i do have video footage of it ;-)
    • SkipWoes
    • By SkipWoes 8th Sep 17, 9:16 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    SkipWoes
    You need to call the council first for a permit and don't forget to buy some lights and cones.
    Well, i have a front area i can place another skip alongside to offload the contents, so that is ok.
    Then there is a driveway that is public land and then the road which is only wide enough for 1 car (and i live in the entrance to a cul-de-sac) so i cannot really move it onto that.

Maybe i could pay the skip company to move the skip onto another nearby wide road ? Would i need a permit for that as i have not hired the skip myself ? Surely my sociopathic ex-builder would be responsible for that ?
    • SkipWoes
    • By SkipWoes 8th Sep 17, 9:19 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    SkipWoes
    Only if they fail to put everything in writing - - "If a trader has left property behind, you may be allowed to keep them, sell them or get rid of them as the trader is in breach of contact if goods were not collected by an agreed date"
    In fact, that was something i thought of. I could send a letter to the skip owner and tell them that if they dont remove there skip from my property within X days, i will consider them to no longer want it and dispose of it...
    • SkipWoes
    • By SkipWoes 8th Sep 17, 9:23 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    SkipWoes
    I think it might be worth exploring the legality of this. The builder is taking business waste from one site and depositing it in a skip at another site (not his depot).

I don't know the rules that well, but I understand he would need a waste carriers licence. There is also an obligation on him to dispose of his waste appropriately. Dumping it in a skip on private land owned by a third party - arguably without permission - doesn't sound like it would comply with the obligations he has.

It might be useful to explore the Environment Agency website to get a better idea of the law.

It shouldn't need saying, but for the benefit of anyone reading the thread in future and thinking the suggestion of dumping the waste in the road is a good one, then don't. You would be committing a criminal offence and making yourself liable to severe penalties. It would also not be difficult for the enforcement authorities to put 2 and 2 together to realise the flytipped waste had come from the skip on your property. ...Assuming that is your neighbours weren't the ones who already reported you for antisocial and illegal behaviour.
    Originally posted by EachPenny
    Looked into this; they dont have a waste carriers licence in there company name. They do have one in a company name that does not exist, but even that is the wrong type of licence to allow them to transport building/construction waste. I also have video footage of them doing it.

I told them to remove the skip by today or i would report them. The builder ignored me and the skip is still there. He is like something out of Rouge Traders & Watchdog!
    Last edited by SkipWoes; 08-09-2017 at 9:31 AM. Reason: Update
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 8th Sep 17, 9:58 AM
    • 600 Posts
    • 309 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    Well, i have a front area i can place another skip alongside to offload the contents, so that is ok.
    Then there is a driveway that is public land and then the road which is only wide enough for 1 car (and i live in the entrance to a cul-de-sac) so i cannot really move it onto that.

Maybe i could pay the skip company to move the skip onto another nearby wide road ? Would i need a permit for that as i have not hired the skip myself ? Surely my sociopathic ex-builder would be responsible for that ?
    Originally posted by SkipWoes
    You need a permit to place a skip on the road.
    • pimento
    • By pimento 8th Sep 17, 11:20 AM
    • 5,235 Posts
    • 6,782 Thanks
    pimento
    When you say "you", there is nothing to say that it wasn't the owner of the skip who placed the skip where it is.

Whoever it is that reports the skip being on the road to the council will only be able to say they see a skip with a company name on the side.

Nothing to do with the OP, especially if it's empty.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

888Posts Today

6,609Users online

Martin's Twitter