Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SkipWoes
    • By SkipWoes 5th Sep 17, 3:16 PM
    • 12Posts
    • 9Thanks
    SkipWoes
    Skip left on my property
    • 5th Sep 17, 3:16 PM
    Skip left on my property 5th Sep 17 at 3:16 PM
    Looking for advice.
    I had some trouble with my builders and had to get rid of them. They left a skip they hired on my property and filled it with rubbish from other jobs. They wont remove it and the skip hire company wont remove it unless the builder pays them (although i think they are mates and in it together anyway).

How can i get rid of this skip ????

I've already written to the builder and informed them ill be charging day rent, but they dont care. There must be some way to force them to remove it!!???
Page 2
    • stator
    • By stator 6th Sep 17, 12:47 AM
    • 5,799 Posts
    • 3,785 Thanks
    stator
    Careful empty the skip and then move skip to the highway then refill.

Or empty into another skip get that carted away then sell the empty skip to cover your costs.
    Originally posted by MX5huggy
    Enough silly ideas on this thread already
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
    • J B
    • By J B 6th Sep 17, 6:28 AM
    • 2,265 Posts
    • 725 Thanks
    J B
    I think that all legal/official avenues are going to tale a long time to resolve if, as you think, the skip owner is in cahoots with the builder.

Maybe an illegal way would bring a faster resolution, but of course you wouldn't do that, would you!!!
    • lush walrus
    • By lush walrus 6th Sep 17, 6:38 AM
    • 1,904 Posts
    • 1,570 Thanks
    lush walrus
    Pay another skip company to empty and deliver the skip back to the original company.
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 6th Sep 17, 8:40 AM
    • 540 Posts
    • 501 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    Do you know where the builder's work/home premises are?

Perhaps you could "return" the rubbish to its rightful owner?
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 6th Sep 17, 9:24 AM
    • 210 Posts
    • 106 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    Careful empty the skip and then move skip to the highway then refill.

Or empty into another skip get that carted away then sell the empty skip to cover your costs.
    Originally posted by MX5huggy
    How do you suggests he moves it?

He'll need to get a permit, cones and lights for it to be on the road.
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 6th Sep 17, 9:26 AM
    • 210 Posts
    • 106 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    The OP may well be able to get the council to pursue it as a case of fly tipping if waste is being dumped from another site. Certainly one avenue worth exploring.
    Originally posted by FreeBear
    It's not fly tipping he was the own who rented the skip.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 6th Sep 17, 9:36 AM
    • 23,099 Posts
    • 88,410 Thanks
    Davesnave
    It's not fly tipping he was the own who rented the skip.
    Originally posted by Warwick Hunt
    The OP says that the builders rented the skip, so if they are now using it to place waste from other jobs on the OP's land, it is fly-tipping, which is a criminal, not a civil offence.

I think this avenue is worth exploring, but much depends on how pro-active the council's staff are and how easy it will be to prove. Video evidence, possibly.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • jack_pott
    • By jack_pott 6th Sep 17, 11:39 AM
    • 4,003 Posts
    • 5,069 Thanks
    jack_pott
    Trouble is, ive used the small claims court before to try and recover money. And even though the court ruled in my favor and bailiffs were appointed, nothing happened and ive never seen any money back (including the SCC fees!). So i really dont want to go down that route.
    Originally posted by SkipWoes
    I have an information pack about the SCC from Trading Standards somewhere, and the bit I recall is where it says that the SCC have no powers of enforcement. So if a trader ignores their ruling your only recourse is to go to the County Court, thereby incurring all the costs that the SCC is supposed to be avoiding. Presumably most rogue traders worth their salt will know that the SCC is a toothless watchdog.
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 6th Sep 17, 11:41 AM
    • 2,047 Posts
    • 2,807 Thanks
    EachPenny
    I think this avenue is worth exploring, but much depends on how pro-active the council's staff are and how easy it will be to prove. Video evidence, possibly.
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    Which is why I only tentatively suggested the idea

To further respond to the point Warwick Hunt makes, if the builder hired the skip and kept it on his premises for the purpose of disposing of waste from multiple sites then yes, it is 'his' skip to dump waste in and it wouldn't be flytipping. But transporting waste from one worksite and dumping it in a skip at another worksite enters into a grey area. Given the OP has not authorised the use of the skip on his land as a place for the builder to deposit waste from other sites then it seems fairly clear that a case of flytipping could be established.

The council may take an interest regardless of evidence (although the contents of the skip may be evidence enough). If the builder is not complying with the requirements to handle his waste correctly, then it is entirely possible that on other jobs his disposal method is to tip his truck in quiet country lanes.

Depending on the 'attitude' of the builder it might be sufficient to just mention to him in passing that unless the skip vanishes pronto contact will be made with the authorities regarding unauthorised disposal of construction waste. Obviously only the OP knowing the builder in person will know whether that kind of approach would work, or if it would just aggravate the situation.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 6th Sep 17, 2:19 PM
    • 210 Posts
    • 106 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    The OP says that the builders rented the skip, so if they are now using it to place waste from other jobs on the OP's land, it is fly-tipping, which is a criminal, not a civil offence.

It's not, they are placing it in a skip they hired and are trespassing to do so.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 6th Sep 17, 3:09 PM
    • 23,099 Posts
    • 88,410 Thanks
    Davesnave
    It's not, they are placing it in a skip they hired and are trespassing to do so.
    Originally posted by Warwick Hunt
    Surely it depends if the skip has been hired.

If no payment has been made, then the builders are at fault for not arranging to dispose of controlled waste correctly, especially if it comes from a number of jobs.

If payment has been made, then the skip company are in probably in breach of the regulations covering their business, so could face having their licence revoked for a continued offence.

This is why it's important for he council to pin both of them down over what's happening. Ultimately, I suspect the skip company have most to lose here.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 6th Sep 17, 3:35 PM
    • 210 Posts
    • 106 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    Surely it depends if the skip has been hired.

If no payment has been made, then the builders are at fault for not arranging to dispose of controlled waste correctly, especially if it comes from a number of jobs.

If payment has been made, then the skip company are in probably in breach of the regulations covering their business, so could face having their licence revoked for a continued offence.

This is why it's important for he council to pin both of them down over what's happening. Ultimately, I suspect the skip company have most to lose here.
    That would depend on the business to business contract they have in place. Until you know that together with what's stated on the builders waste carrying certificate it's far from a clear case of fly tipping.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 6th Sep 17, 4:49 PM
    • 23,730 Posts
    • 66,028 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    Wouldn't hold out too much hope of getting them done for flytipping.

I hope this isn't the OP!

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/horror-handsworth-house-turned-tip-13577855
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • Nathaniel Essex
    • By Nathaniel Essex 6th Sep 17, 9:34 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    Nathaniel Essex
    I was thinking. Could you drop them an email or give them a call asking what it will take to get the skip removed? Save the email or record the call and when they demand money, bring it to the police accusing them of ransom.
    • stator
    • By stator 7th Sep 17, 12:39 AM
    • 5,799 Posts
    • 3,785 Thanks
    stator
    Another silly suggestion
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
    • tonyh66
    • By tonyh66 7th Sep 17, 7:13 AM
    • 979 Posts
    • 718 Thanks
    tonyh66
    I was thinking. Could you drop them an email or give them a call asking what it will take to get the skip removed? Save the email or record the call and when they demand money, bring it to the police accusing them of ransom.
    Originally posted by Nathaniel Essex
    I think it is probably classed as extortion rather than ransom.
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 7th Sep 17, 7:35 AM
    • 210 Posts
    • 106 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    I think it is probably classed as extortion rather than ransom.
    Originally posted by tonyh66
    And even then he'll be told it's a civil dispute.
    • pimento
    • By pimento 7th Sep 17, 9:02 AM
    • 5,185 Posts
    • 6,734 Thanks
    pimento
    Pay another skip company to empty and deliver the skip back to the original company.
    Originally posted by lush walrus
    .... drag the empty skip out into the road. Sit back and wait.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 7th Sep 17, 9:10 AM
    • 210 Posts
    • 106 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    .... drag the empty skip out into the road. Sit back and wait.
    Originally posted by pimento
    How do you suggest he does that?
    • pimento
    • By pimento 7th Sep 17, 9:43 AM
    • 5,185 Posts
    • 6,734 Thanks
    pimento
    An empty skip is easily dragged. Might take two people but that's often how they get the skip into position when it's left.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,312Posts Today

8,165Users online

Martin's Twitter