Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CardinalWolsey
    • By CardinalWolsey 5th Sep 17, 1:48 PM
    • 85Posts
    • 77Thanks
    CardinalWolsey
    Standard servicing costs
    • 5th Sep 17, 1:48 PM
    Standard servicing costs 5th Sep 17 at 1:48 PM
    My daughter announced yesterday that her popular small "Italian" car needs its 2 year service. She phoned the dealership it was bought from, and booked it in. I asked her how much was it going to be, and it was £340 ish. After picking myself up off the floor, I thought I'd find out how much it would be from the next nearest dealership - £290 (both including VAT).

Is this usual for there to be wide variances in standard servicing costs between different main dealers? I would have expected them to have been the same cost for the same service.
Page 1
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 5th Sep 17, 2:18 PM
    • 2,221 Posts
    • 1,419 Thanks
    Car 54
    • 5th Sep 17, 2:18 PM
    • 5th Sep 17, 2:18 PM
    It would be illegal under the Competition Act for the dealers to agree uniform prices, or for the manufacturer to impose them.

Isn't competition a good thing? Would you be happier if they both quoted £340?
    Last edited by Car 54; 05-09-2017 at 2:19 PM. Reason: splng chck
    • Nobbie1967
    • By Nobbie1967 5th Sep 17, 2:19 PM
    • 632 Posts
    • 735 Thanks
    Nobbie1967
    • 5th Sep 17, 2:19 PM
    • 5th Sep 17, 2:19 PM
    Many dealers are just franchises and are free to set their own servicing prices. Standard pricing across the U.K. wouldn't make sense anyway as costs of running a garage vary so much between say London and Bradford.
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 5th Sep 17, 6:04 PM
    • 7,038 Posts
    • 5,407 Thanks
    daveyjp
    • 5th Sep 17, 6:04 PM
    • 5th Sep 17, 6:04 PM
    Do all Tescos charge the same for all products?

Shop around. Mercedes have a system to get quotes on line. The system knows which service the car needs so prices can be compared.

For the same service I have been quoted over £500 and actually paid £190 just by changing the dealer I want to service the car. I then use the lowest price and get my local dealer to price match!
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 5th Sep 17, 8:55 PM
    • 9,917 Posts
    • 6,334 Thanks
    bigadaj
    • 5th Sep 17, 8:55 PM
    • 5th Sep 17, 8:55 PM
    You can haggle most things, including servicing at a main dealer.
    • facade
    • By facade 5th Sep 17, 10:16 PM
    • 2,831 Posts
    • 1,434 Thanks
    facade
    • 5th Sep 17, 10:16 PM
    • 5th Sep 17, 10:16 PM
    Originally posted by daveyjp
    I thought they did, as you can check the grocery prices online at tesco dot com, and that isn't regional. The petrol might vary I suppose, as you can't see the fuel prices online.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 5th Sep 17, 11:12 PM
    • 15,054 Posts
    • 13,375 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 5th Sep 17, 11:12 PM
    • 5th Sep 17, 11:12 PM
    Originally posted by daveyjp
    All Tesco stores are the same company.
    Not all <brand> dealers are the same company. Very few are actually owned/run by <brand>'s manufacturer/importer.

The manufacturer/importer will have a standard book time for each specific job, and a standard price for each specific part. Individual dealers set their hourly labour rate, and may offer a discount on the parts prices.
    • thescouselander
    • By thescouselander 5th Sep 17, 11:15 PM
    • 5,208 Posts
    • 4,708 Thanks
    thescouselander
    • 5th Sep 17, 11:15 PM
    • 5th Sep 17, 11:15 PM
    Yes! It pays to shop around. I recently had my Mazda 6 put through its 2nd service and the nearest dealer wanted £390!!!

The next nearest dealer wanted a lot less at £260 although I still think this is very expensive for what amounts to an oil change and a wipe over with an oily rag.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 6th Sep 17, 2:03 AM
    • 1,148 Posts
    • 793 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 6th Sep 17, 2:03 AM
    • 6th Sep 17, 2:03 AM
    I thought they did, as you can check the grocery prices online at tesco dot com, and that isn't regional. The petrol might vary I suppose, as you can't see the fuel prices online.
    Originally posted by facade
    They are not the same at each Tesco store. Different stores will have different promotions on at different times for example. Tesco.com doesn't change because it is a nationally available website and trying to filter to each location for every user would be impossible but I can guarantee there will be prices on there different from your local store.
    • fred246
    • By fred246 6th Sep 17, 3:52 AM
    • 845 Posts
    • 458 Thanks
    fred246
    What amazes me is the gap between DIY and dealer servicing. With DIY you know that everything is done properly and you'd never spend more than £50ish even on the most major service. With dealer servicing they do whatever they feel like doing on the day - and then charge astronomical prices. When you see £340 you think "yes that's with a cambelt and then you realise it probably isn't". So all that money is going on labour. So a mobile mechanic could do 2 services a day. £600 a day. £3K a week. £150K a year.
    • Nodding Donkey
    • By Nodding Donkey 6th Sep 17, 7:59 AM
    • 2,432 Posts
    • 2,053 Thanks
    Nodding Donkey
    £50 on a major service

For some cars that would buy you the engine oil.

Then you might need:

Diff oil
    Gearbox oil
    Air filters
    Cabin filters
    Spark plugs
    Brake Fluid
    Coolant

Good luck with that
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 6th Sep 17, 8:21 AM
    • 12,695 Posts
    • 16,889 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    £50 on a major service

For some cars that would buy you the engine oil.
    Originally posted by Nodding Donkey
    I get my car serviced by a main dealer. I supply my own oil.

It saves me £80.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • mcpitman
    • By mcpitman 6th Sep 17, 8:36 AM
    • 522 Posts
    • 359 Thanks
    mcpitman
    What amazes me is the gap between DIY and dealer servicing. With DIY you know that everything is done properly and you'd never spend more than £50ish even on the most major service. With dealer servicing they do whatever they feel like doing on the day - and then charge astronomical prices. When you see £340 you think "yes that's with a cambelt and then you realise it probably isn't". So all that money is going on labour. So a mobile mechanic could do 2 services a day. £600 a day. £3K a week. £150K a year.
    Originally posted by fred246

Please inform me of what you include in your "major" service for £50.

It's also only £150k p/a without any parts to buy or running costs/consumables.
    Life isn't about the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away. Like choking....
    • wgl2014
    • By wgl2014 6th Sep 17, 8:40 AM
    • 269 Posts
    • 145 Thanks
    wgl2014
    DIY servicing is fine if you are competent and have the tools, time and space to do it.
    On an older car that's out of warranty it can make sense.
    You can also do a lot of damage to either yourself or you car if you make a mistake.
    Bear in mind the overheads that go into running a garage and their mark up doesn't look so outrageous (some premium franchises excepted!)
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 6th Sep 17, 10:13 AM
    • 1,355 Posts
    • 896 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    Originally posted by fred246
    How much do you pay to service your sweeping brushes you use to make your many sweeping statements on this forum?

Do you clean them with hogwash? Because they do leave a bit of a residue on many of your posts.
    • C_Mababejive
    • By C_Mababejive 6th Sep 17, 10:17 AM
    • 10,249 Posts
    • 9,309 Thanks
    C_Mababejive
    The major and most important part of a "service" is an oil and filter change. I do my own with high quality oil and manufs filter for about £48 per year
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 6th Sep 17, 10:22 AM
    • 1,355 Posts
    • 896 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    The major and most important part of a "service" is an oil and filter change. I do my own with high quality oil and manufs filter for about £48 per year
    Originally posted by C_Mababejive
    But a major service involves much more than a simple oil change. If I bought a car from you and you said that it was fully serviced and you did what you describe, I would consider it mis-sold. There's a lot more to a major service than simply a change of oil and filter changes.
    • C_Mababejive
    • By C_Mababejive 6th Sep 17, 11:08 AM
    • 10,249 Posts
    • 9,309 Thanks
    C_Mababejive
    But a major service involves much more than a simple oil change. If I bought a car from you and you said that it was fully serviced and you did what you describe, I would consider it mis-sold. There's a lot more to a major service than simply a change of oil and filter changes.
    Originally posted by Mercdriver
    But i would'nt be selling it with FSH and a stamped book. I'd be selling it with what i had to hand, i.e the car and a stack of invoices for parts purchased and work done. As an example, i recently had rear disc and pads done. I couldnt be bothered doing it myself due to the lovely summer we are currently enjoying so i got a garage to do it.

There are differences in minor and major services. As you will know Mercs have this A and B service thing.

Minor services are generally just an oil and filter plus a check list.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 6th Sep 17, 11:16 AM
    • 483 Posts
    • 184 Thanks
    sevenhills
    My daughter announced yesterday that her popular small "Italian" car needs its 2 year service. She phoned the dealership it was bought from, and booked it in. I asked her how much was it going to be, and it was £340 ish. After picking myself up off the floor, I thought I'd find out how much it would be from the next nearest dealership - £290 (both including VAT).
    Originally posted by CardinalWolsey
    A 2 yearly service, in which the car has done around 20,000 miles should be expensive. Has anything been done in the previous 2 years?

• Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 6th Sep 17, 11:51 AM
    • 1,355 Posts
    • 896 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    But i would'nt be selling it with FSH and a stamped book. I'd be selling it with what i had to hand, i.e the car and a stack of invoices for parts purchased and work done. As an example, i recently had rear disc and pads done. I couldnt be bothered doing it myself due to the lovely summer we are currently enjoying so i got a garage to do it.

There are differences in minor and major services. As you will know Mercs have this A and B service thing.

Minor services are generally just an oil and filter plus a check list.
    Originally posted by C_Mababejive
    Yes, I traded mine in before I had the more expensive service done
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

184Posts Today

1,977Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin