Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 5th Sep 17, 10:11 AM
    • 21,319Posts
    • 10,243Thanks
    lisyloo
    Visa chargeback scheme
    • 5th Sep 17, 10:11 AM
    Visa chargeback scheme 5th Sep 17 at 10:11 AM
    Hello,

I had to give up a "comfort" seat that I'd paid for on a flight when we were moved to a smaller aircraft.
    I have a hand-written offer of compensation plus full refund.
    I'm not getting any joy with EasyJet.
    I've taken this up with my bank as I paid via visa debit card.

I am expecting them to be able to deal with the refund issue as we simply didn't get what we paid for.

Does anyone know whether they'll deal with compensation if I have the offer in writing.
    I'm asking as it will affect the way I proceed.

I have already sent 3 online complaints (1 of which I have chat transcript to show it was received) and 1 letter (signed for), but no response so far.

Thankyou
    Last edited by lisyloo; 05-09-2017 at 10:16 AM.
Page 3
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 6th Sep 17, 8:53 AM
    • 3,591 Posts
    • 3,634 Thanks
    DoaM
    but it doesn't change the fact that obelise obese, disabled or musical instruments don't really have any alternative.
    Originally posted by lisyloo
    A callous person might suggest that the highlighted category does have an option, albeit a long-term one.

Musical instruments can be stored in flight-safe packaging/cases and be put in the hold?
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 6th Sep 17, 9:23 AM
    • 21,319 Posts
    • 10,243 Thanks
    lisyloo
    Yes the filing fee using MCOL is £35 for claims between £300 and £500. The hearing fee for claims of the same value (£300-£500) would be £55. If they didn't pay up (unlikely imo but sometimes they surprise you), you'd then potentially have enforcement fees on top.

It's just occurred to me that I can pay £10 for a subject access request under the data protection act to ask for the transcript of the phone call.
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 6th Sep 17, 9:41 AM
    • 21,319 Posts
    • 10,243 Thanks
    lisyloo
    A callous person might suggest that the highlighted category does have an option, albeit a long-term one.
    Originally posted by DoaM

Not callous at all.
    I believe obesity is largely a choice.
    As this frequently affects my life including sometimes physical pain you're pushing at a open door.

My travelling partner has lost 2 stone this year, but as you say for some people it's very long term.

The problem still exists though for everyone (a 30 stone person flying round the cabin or blocking the cabin is a problem for everyone).
    I would like to see airlines deal with it better.
    If there was bigger seating available we'd pay - but as you know there is no guarantee of getting it.
    Perhaps at a point they should ban people?

Doesn't affect the legality or morality of honouring an offer than was made by authorised staff.
    • p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 6th Sep 17, 9:43 AM
    • 5,791 Posts
    • 5,591 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    Musical instruments can be stored in flight-safe packaging/cases and be put in the hold?
    Originally posted by DoaM
    I think it depends on the instument - my understanding is that the variation in pressure in the hold would wreck a Stradivarius.

I believe Julian Lloyd Webber always had an additional seat for his cello when flying.
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 6th Sep 17, 9:50 AM
    • 21,319 Posts
    • 10,243 Thanks
    lisyloo
    I think it depends on the instument - my understanding is that the variation in pressure in the hold would wreck a Stradivarius.
    Originally posted by p00hsticks

Not to mention EasyJet baggage handling.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 6th Sep 17, 10:11 AM
    • 9,621 Posts
    • 10,779 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    My personal experience so far is that companies do not prioritise appealing relatively small amounts. Companies are pragmatic and not emotional.
    This may well be true of businesses is some lines of work but it's often far from being the case with airlines.
    If a shop or other retail business has a problem that may require a smallish payout to someone, it will generally only be applicable to that one person.
    However, if an airline also has a problem that may require a payout (such as for a delay), the payout will be due to everyone on board the aircraft and this could potentially be hundreds of people.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 6th Sep 17, 10:15 AM
    • 9,621 Posts
    • 10,779 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    Originally posted by p00hsticks
    The baggage holds on all modern airliners are fully pressurised to the same degree as the cabin area.
    They are not always directly heated but as they are pressurised with the same airflow as the cabin, they receive some heat from this air.
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 6th Sep 17, 10:16 AM
    • 2,220 Posts
    • 1,130 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    Board guides on this sub-forum are Chickabiddybex, Dizzy Ditzy
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 6th Sep 17, 12:16 PM
    • 3,591 Posts
    • 3,634 Thanks
    DoaM
    Not to mention EasyJet baggage handling.
    Easyjet don't do the baggage handling ... it's typically a common baggage handling company for all airlines at any given airport, so all airlines will have the same issues not just Easyjet.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 6th Sep 17, 12:36 PM
    • 4,788 Posts
    • 3,147 Thanks
    KeithP
    Be helpful old chap and tell me how to delete it.
    A veteran of fourteen years and over 20,000 posts and you need to ask that?
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 6th Sep 17, 12:59 PM
    • 21,319 Posts
    • 10,243 Thanks
    lisyloo
    This may well be true of businesses is some lines of work but it's often far from being the case with airlines.
    If a shop or other retail business has a problem that may require a smallish payout to someone, it will generally only be applicable to that one person.
    However, if an airline also has a problem that may require a payout (such as for a delay), the payout will be due to everyone on board the aircraft and this could potentially be hundreds of people.
    Originally posted by shaun from Africa

In this in case I believe this particular offer only applies to us.

Out of interest - what do you think of my chances?
    I have a written offer on branded paper in my possession made by people authorised to make it and the time of the phone call which I'm assured would be recorded.
    Do you think that's enough to sway a judge working on the balance of probabilities.
    If not why do you think the claim might fail?

EasyJet being unhappy about it means it might be difficult/expensive but it doesn't mean I'll lose just because they don't like it.
    As they haven't stated a position there is also a possibility that they are just being administratively incompetent and/or slow.
    Last edited by lisyloo; 06-09-2017 at 1:19 PM.
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 6th Sep 17, 2:29 PM
    • 21,319 Posts
    • 10,243 Thanks
    lisyloo
    Board guides on this sub-forum are Chickabiddybex, Dizzy Ditzy
    Originally posted by Le_Kirk

Thankyou I've requested a merge.

A veteran of fourteen years and over 20,000 posts and you need to ask that?

I was running late (and as a consequence took me an hour to do 3 miles in London on the bus) and thought one of you who was SO upset about this might be willing to help.

Reply and you'll keep brining the thread to the top so sshhhh..............
    • foxtrotoscar
    • By foxtrotoscar 6th Sep 17, 2:52 PM
    • 1,031 Posts
    • 1,520 Thanks
    foxtrotoscar
    The trick is not to start two threads in the same place on the same topic in the first place...perhaps the Board Guide who is inconvenienced could claim compensation from you?
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 6th Sep 17, 4:47 PM
    • 21,319 Posts
    • 10,243 Thanks
    lisyloo
    The trick is not to start two threads in the same place on the same topic in the first place...perhaps the Board Guide who is inconvenienced could claim compensation from you?
    Originally posted by foxtrotoscar

Agreed. As I've made apologies (#3) and agreed to my mistake then would it not be better to let it go?
    It's only annoying other people (not me) and I'm sure that's not your intention.

I don't spend 24/7 on here and only come here occasionally so I'm not that familiar with board etiquette.

Again I am sorry if I've inconvenienced or upset anyone which was never my intention.

I wont answer any more replies seeking to teach me a lesson I've admitted I've already learnt as it's illogical to stir things up if you object to the thread.
    If you are genuinely minded to help please be kind enough to use the other thread.
    Last edited by lisyloo; 06-09-2017 at 5:33 PM.
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 11th Oct 17, 12:40 PM
    • 21,319 Posts
    • 10,243 Thanks
    lisyloo
    UPDATE: EasyJet have agreed to my request on 9/10 for the lost seat issue on 15/7.

As some suggested they made attempts not to pay and to reduce the offer. I've been trying to keep emotion out of it but I think this is disgusting considering we co-operated AND saved them money compared with the alternative of offloading passengers. I appreciate it's some people's job to reduce these payments.
    They did not deal with the issue at all for 10 weeks. I'm not sure whether the letter before action prompted that or whether they were just slow, but it co-incided with the deadline on the LBA.
    They then said the offer was not authorised (which it was).
    I told them to check the phone recording (I had all details of who, when, where) or if not available then talk to the captain/cabin manager and if they did not then the judge would ask why not in court.
    They checked the recording and agreed it was authorised.
    They then offered me a £100 flight voucher !!!
    I said no and I wanted what was offered (£102 refund plus 250E compensation).
    They said fine.

I have not yet heard anything at all from Nat West yet regarding the chargeback which is dissapointing as it's a clear case of paid for something and didn't get it.

I will consider paying for flights on credit card in future despite the charges, although it's difficult to do the £1 on a credit card trick with on-line flights.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

495Posts Today

3,675Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin