Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cloud_dog
    • By cloud_dog 5th Sep 17, 9:58 AM
    • 3,256Posts
    • 1,819Thanks
    cloud_dog
    Network Discovery Won't Stay Turned On
    • 5th Sep 17, 9:58 AM
    Network Discovery Won't Stay Turned On 5th Sep 17 at 9:58 AM
    Hi

I have had a search of the forum and Google but am still struggling with my NAS.

The problem is that the connections to my mapped drives on the NAS appears to be intermittent. I'm sure it has got worse more recently. Sometimes in the main Windows Explorer window the mapped drives have a big red X on them. If I double click I will get a error (unable to connect, although the error can vary). Sometimes even with the red X, if I expand the networked folders in the left hand panel I can navigate the folders / files ok.

Anyway, long/short.... 'Network Discovery' is turned off.

I have Googled the problem and mostly I get the information to ensure the below services are running:

DNS Client
    Function Discovery Resource Publication
    SSDP Discovery
    UPnP Device Host

....and they are all running.

I've also come across information relating to checking/changing the firewall option of 'Allow an app or feature through Windows Firewall' but have been unable to identify what to do/add. Feel that if I resolve the Network Discovery to be on then the problem should go away.

I'm not sure what else to try to do. Any help, anyone?
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
Page 3
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 7th Sep 17, 8:50 AM
    • 3,498 Posts
    • 3,553 Thanks
    DoaM
    If you're already behind a NAT router then anything on top of Windows firewall is pointless really. Windows firewall since W7 has been fine - no need for any additional firewall protection.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 7th Sep 17, 9:05 AM
    • 2,913 Posts
    • 1,990 Thanks
    AndyPix
    Glad you got sorted.
    When we start digging that deep to fix an issue, it always ends up being something obvious that we missed !

You DONT need 2 firewalls.

As DoaM says above, there is no need whatsoever for a 3rd party firewall.
    The windows one works just fine unless you need to start doing some real funky stuff - which you dont.

Andy
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • cloud_dog
    • By cloud_dog 7th Sep 17, 9:36 AM
    • 3,256 Posts
    • 1,819 Thanks
    cloud_dog
    Many thanks for your help, and my apologies leading you down the garden path.
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

285Posts Today

1,467Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin