Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cloud_dog
    • By cloud_dog 5th Sep 17, 9:58 AM
    • 3,254Posts
    • 1,816Thanks
    cloud_dog
    Network Discovery Won't Stay Turned On
    • 5th Sep 17, 9:58 AM
    Network Discovery Won't Stay Turned On 5th Sep 17 at 9:58 AM
    Hi

I have had a search of the forum and Google but am still struggling with my NAS.

The problem is that the connections to my mapped drives on the NAS appears to be intermittent. I'm sure it has got worse more recently. Sometimes in the main Windows Explorer window the mapped drives have a big red X on them. If I double click I will get a error (unable to connect, although the error can vary). Sometimes even with the red X, if I expand the networked folders in the left hand panel I can navigate the folders / files ok.

Anyway, long/short.... 'Network Discovery' is turned off.

I have Googled the problem and mostly I get the information to ensure the below services are running:

DNS Client
    Function Discovery Resource Publication
    SSDP Discovery
    UPnP Device Host

....and they are all running.

I've also come across information relating to checking/changing the firewall option of 'Allow an app or feature through Windows Firewall' but have been unable to identify what to do/add. Feel that if I resolve the Network Discovery to be on then the problem should go away.

I'm not sure what else to try to do. Any help, anyone?
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
Page 2
    • cloud_dog
    • By cloud_dog 5th Sep 17, 5:16 PM
    • 3,254 Posts
    • 1,816 Thanks
    cloud_dog
    and if you run to \\192.168.0.101 , (without the \media) do you see a list of shares atall ?

When i say "run to" i mean type that in the search bar at bottom left of screen and press enter
    Originally posted by AndyPix
    Sorry, was a little unclear what you meant by this? (Windows / Search???)

And, as a test, replace the ip address with the address of another machine on your network, does it give a blank explorer window, or do you get the error ?
    Same error. I can ping the m/c.

Also, if you open internet explorer, and type http://192.168.0.101 and press enter
    Do you get the web interface ?
    Prompts me to log in. Logged in using my re-created (NAS) user details (same as PC) and shares displayed ok.

• cloud_dog
    • By cloud_dog 5th Sep 17, 5:17 PM
    • 3,254 Posts
    • 1,816 Thanks
    cloud_dog
    Another thought , A recent update might have disable SMBv1 .. or V2
    So, open an elevated command prompt and type the following to re-enable it ..

sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb10/mrxsmb20/nsi
    sc.exe config mrxsmb10 start= auto

sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb10/mrxsmb20/nsi
    sc.exe config mrxsmb20 start= auto

Then reboot

note : SmbV1 is the attack vector for spreading the most recent malware through your network, so ideally you dont really want legacy kit that relies on this
    Did this....no joy.

• cloud_dog
    • By cloud_dog 5th Sep 17, 5:25 PM
    • 3,254 Posts
    • 1,816 Thanks
    cloud_dog
    Annoyingly, in Windows Explorer both the Logitech Media Server and the ReadNAS show up under the 'Network Locations' but, then that is probably using a different protocol to CIFS/SMB.

• esuhl
    • By esuhl 5th Sep 17, 7:23 PM
    • 7,725 Posts
    • 5,512 Thanks
    esuhl
    I've skim-read this and I'm drunk, but...

When using Windows (SMB) shares across multiple computers, I'm pretty sure you need to make sure that you have set up the same Windows username/password on both devices.

If you are sitting at computer A and try to access computer B, your login details from A will be used to log in to B. So you may need to add a new user on B with the same username/password as you use on A in order to be granted access.

I've never used Windows HomeGroups or UPnP, so maybe it's different with them enabled...

Also, I've always found (Unix-based) NFS more reliable than (Windows) SMB. You can install NFS drivers in Windows if you want to try NFS shares instead.
    Last edited by esuhl; 05-09-2017 at 7:25 PM.
    • cloud_dog
    • By cloud_dog 5th Sep 17, 8:21 PM
    • 3,254 Posts
    • 1,816 Thanks
    cloud_dog
    I've skim-read this and I'm drunk, but...

When using Windows (SMB) shares across multiple computers, I'm pretty sure you need to make sure that you have set up the same Windows username/password on both devices.

If you are sitting at computer A and try to access computer B, your login details from A will be used to log in to B. So you may need to add a new user on B with the same username/password as you use on A in order to be granted access.

I've never used Windows HomeGroups or UPnP, so maybe it's different with them enabled...

Also, I've always found (Unix-based) NFS more reliable than (Windows) SMB. You can install NFS drivers in Windows if you want to try NFS shares instead.
    Originally posted by esuhl
    Hi

I'm trying to access a share on the NAS (life used to be straightforward but now....not). My PC user name/password is also set up on the NAS. For the share/mapped folder I was trying to access it has guest read-only configured with my user configured for updates (add/delete).

I can access the share quite happily from another laptop but not from my PC (access used to be hit n miss recently but now it just seems unable to connect to it no matter what.

I am unable to browse to the share or indeed across the home network from this PC as Network Discovery is turned off (am unable to turn it on or for it to stay on).

Thought Network Discovery (being off) was the problem but proved that the other laptop can access the share with it turned off also.

Thought it may be user ID/password related so have re-created all that.

Will try NFS (am open to anything). If I install the drivers I am unsure how I connect via NFS or SMB from the PC. I know I've set up the share with equal access rights for both CIFs and NFS but (as stated) unsure how to utilise NFS rather than CIFS?

EDIT: Ok, I see from Google, I might need a utility and / or mount the shares
    Last edited by cloud_dog; 05-09-2017 at 8:26 PM.

• debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 5th Sep 17, 8:45 PM
    • 8,268 Posts
    • 6,227 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    Try deleting your adaptor or search for changing a network from public to private...its microsofts way to make you love them...just about every second update causes problems like this in 10.
    Maybe here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5551314&highlight=tenforums
    Last edited by debitcardmayhem; 05-09-2017 at 8:49 PM.
    • cloud_dog
    • By cloud_dog 6th Sep 17, 11:41 AM
    • 3,254 Posts
    • 1,816 Thanks
    cloud_dog
    Try deleting your adaptor or search for changing a network from public to private...its microsofts way to make you love them...just about every second update causes problems like this in 10.
    Maybe here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5551314&highlight=tenforums
    Originally posted by debitcardmayhem
    Hi

Network & Sharing Centre show the network as 'Private'.

• AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 6th Sep 17, 11:45 AM
    • 2,895 Posts
    • 1,971 Thanks
    AndyPix
    Try resetting tcpip stack and winsock ..

Open elevated command prompt

netsh int ip reset
    netsh winsock reset

reboot and try again..

We will get there in then end
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • cloud_dog
    • By cloud_dog 6th Sep 17, 11:48 AM
    • 3,254 Posts
    • 1,816 Thanks
    cloud_dog
    I'm sure (without having any actual knowledge of this) that the inability to 'browse' to network locations/devices and or add a 'Network Location' just have to be related.

If, when mapping the drivce, I click on 'Browse' I get the error 'Network Discovery' is not turned on. If I try to add a Network Location (all in Windows Explorer), I get the pop-up window which shows 'Network' but then there isn'y anything else listed and I cannot expand anything or navigate (double click etc).

• AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 6th Sep 17, 12:02 PM
    • 2,895 Posts
    • 1,971 Thanks
    AndyPix
    Ok, more things to try (Just keep going till its fixed)

type services.msc into search bar and press enter.
    Make sure "workstation" is running and set to start automatically ..

Next thing to try :

Go into system, then , next to "computer name" click "change settings"

You will see "to rename ... etc etc" - next to this, click change.
    You wil then see "member of" and it will likely be a workgroup called "WORKGROUP"

Change that to something else , eg TEST

Reboot computer once this is acknowledged

Go back into system and change "TEST" back to "WORKGROUP"

Reboot and try again

let us know
    • cloud_dog
    • By cloud_dog 6th Sep 17, 12:19 PM
    • 3,254 Posts
    • 1,816 Thanks
    cloud_dog

Open elevated command prompt

netsh int ip reset
    netsh winsock reset

reboot and try again..

We will get there in then end
    You're very persistent.

Just giving it a go.

• cloud_dog
    • By cloud_dog 6th Sep 17, 12:35 PM
    • 3,254 Posts
    • 1,816 Thanks
    cloud_dog
    Our survey says......Nope.

• cloud_dog
    • By cloud_dog 6th Sep 17, 12:50 PM
    • 3,254 Posts
    • 1,816 Thanks
    cloud_dog
    Ok, more things to try (Just keep going till its fixed)

type services.msc into search bar and press enter.
    Make sure "workstation" is running and set to start automatically ..
    Set as expected (running / automatic).

Go into system, then , next to "computer name" click "change settings"

You will see "to rename ... etc etc" - next to this, click change.
    You wil then see "member of" and it will likely be a workgroup called "WORKGROUP"

Change that to something else , eg TEST

Reboot computer once this is acknowledged

Go back into system and change "TEST" back to "WORKGROUP"

Reboot and try again

let us know
    Ummmm, nope.

One thing, when I was going through the process for changing the WORKGROUP I clicked on 'Network ID' button (wasn't sure which one allowed me to change the workgroup) and it had two radio buttons with the network identified as 'Business'. I clicked the 'Home network' option but it did not save the change.

This inability to save a change (Network Discovery service / this) seems to point to something not quite correct (privileges etc??? although my user is an administrator).

• AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 6th Sep 17, 1:17 PM
    • 2,895 Posts
    • 1,971 Thanks
    AndyPix
    Ok next .

Are you running microsoft security essentials ?
    This has a "network inspection" feature that can interfere with this stuff.

This can be turned off under settings=>real time protection

I presume you have already tried disabling the firewall and testing with it turned off ?

Make sure ALL these services are running ..

Computer Browser
    DHCP Client
    DNS Client
    Network Connections
    Network Location Awareness
    Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
    Server
    TCP/IP Netbios helper
    Workstation
    Last edited by AndyPix; 06-09-2017 at 1:20 PM.
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 6th Sep 17, 1:23 PM
    • 2,895 Posts
    • 1,971 Thanks
    AndyPix
    Hi

Network & Sharing Centre show the network as 'Private'.
    Originally posted by cloud_dog

Iv just noticed this ..
    Are you using home or pro version of windows ..?
    • cloud_dog
    • By cloud_dog 6th Sep 17, 2:11 PM
    • 3,254 Posts
    • 1,816 Thanks
    cloud_dog
    Iv just noticed this ..
    Are you using home or pro version of windows ..?
    Yes, Windows 10 Pro.

• AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 6th Sep 17, 2:22 PM
    • 2,895 Posts
    • 1,971 Thanks
    AndyPix
    Ok, once you have tried the above,
    presuming you are on wired rather that wireless, go to netowrk and sharing centre
    you will see "access type - internet , connections - ethernet"

Click on ethernet, then go to properties, untick ipv6, ensure everything else is ticked apart from "Microsoft network adapter multiplexor protocol"

click ok and try again.

We are slowly running out of options now and i suspect a reinstall would have fixed this and been quicker

Once you have tried post #34 and this one, we are going to have to start messing around in
    HKLM/software/microsoft/windows NT/current version/network list/profiles/UID and I dont really have the time to guide you through that in forum unfortunately (I have a day job )

At that point i would suggest it would be quicker to reinstall
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 6th Sep 17, 2:48 PM
    • 7,725 Posts
    • 5,512 Thanks
    esuhl
    I've skimmed the thread again, and suspect you have tried the suggestions at the links below, but maybe worth a quick look:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/2722035/you-cannot-turn-on-network-discovery-in-network-and-sharing-center-in
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-networking/network-discovery-and-file-sharing-will-not-turn/640771bf-ea90-4ac0-aabd-37442c531fe4?auth=1

I'd also try disabling the Windows Firewalls on the devices temporarily, to see if that's what's blocking the traffic.
    • cloud_dog
    • By cloud_dog 6th Sep 17, 10:37 PM
    • 3,254 Posts
    • 1,816 Thanks
    cloud_dog
    Hi Guys, sorry I went quiet... had some stuff to do. I will try out the outstanding suggested actions from both and report back tomorrow.

Thanks for the input.

EDIT: esuhl, I hadn't come across the second link so will work through that as well tomorrow.

• cloud_dog
    • By cloud_dog 6th Sep 17, 11:05 PM
    • 3,254 Posts
    • 1,816 Thanks
    cloud_dog
    Ok, sooooo (this is going to be embarrassing).....

Was just checking out the links / suggestions etc and thought I'd go back to basics (as suggested) and it turns out it is related to the firewall.

So, I run Windows Firewall together with TinyWall (research suggested that it was thought of as a good 'add on' to the Windows firewall), and it is TinyWall that is the culprit.

(I'm sure I tested with the firewall(s) switched off before I started this thread but...)

I can only think that TinyWall must lose its settings, that it has 'learnt' etc from connection behaviour, and this probably links in with the intermittent behaviour of the connections I was seeing previously until, finally I couldn't achieve any connections. (unsure why software would 'magically' lose config/data/settings)

One of the reasons I went with TinyWall was because it is quite unobtrusive in its operation, although in this case the odd intrusion would have been very helpful.

Thank you all for your perseverance, especially AndyPix, and I apologise for not going back over the basics (again) before commencing this.

Am a little unsure if I am more peeved with TinyWall or myself but, the question I now have is (from you knowledgeable people)...... Is there a better (free) option for W10, or now I know what seems to be happening is Windows Firewall plus TinyWall as good a (free) solution as you may get?

EDIT: Ok so, I have looked at the TinyWall logs and checked out the blocked processes. As you would expect with networking there is not just a single process/connection, and they all fall under the process name of 'system(x)' (very helpful). TinyWall gives me the option to unblock a process and allows me to unblock for all corresponding processes (linked to the process in question). I have done this and it seems to be operating ok, i.e. allowing me to create a mapped drive and access existing/new mappings.

Why the mapped drives have worked for ages and then the connectivity slowly degraded over the recent past is beyond me.
    Last edited by cloud_dog; 06-09-2017 at 11:32 PM.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,564Posts Today

8,155Users online

Martin's Twitter