Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • VeronicaMars
    • By VeronicaMars 5th Sep 17, 7:42 AM
    • 169Posts
    • 600Thanks
    VeronicaMars
    Would they have refunded the full PPI amount voluntarily?
    • 5th Sep 17, 7:42 AM
    Would they have refunded the full PPI amount voluntarily? 5th Sep 17 at 7:42 AM
    Hi everyone,

There is something that has been lurking in my mind and I want to check.

My mother and father took a mortgage out with XXXX (not sure if i'm allowed to say name - buy hey, too late!) they were both unemployed and nearing retirement, my father can't work due to disability (various serious health issues). My older brother went guarantor on the mortgage.

They were sold PPI at the time and then years ago when this all came out big they were given c.£800/£900 refund voluntarily by the bank, some quick research at the time told us that bank were going through their own records and voluntarily refunding the people that they know should never have been sold the product.

My question is would they have refunded the full amount? Or should we still open a claim to check? My mother isn't the most organised individual and couldn't find the documentation for me to check and cost up what was paid versus the actual refund and I couldn't see it from the mortgage statements she had.

They don't like change or hassle and I would never hear the end of it if they ended up having to "deal" with anything (i.e speak to a human being about it ) - I try to stay out of things for this reason but i also can't stop thinking about how they were totally scammed them when they are the last people who should have been sold PPI!

ALL advice (even if it's "stay out of it") is appreciated!
    Last edited by VeronicaMars; 06-09-2017 at 8:12 AM. Reason: took bank name out!

Mortgage July 2016 - £175,295.00
    Mortgage sept 2017 - £168,400.00

Officially debt free 27th November 2014
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 5th Sep 17, 8:01 AM
    • 13,144 Posts
    • 13,442 Thanks
    zx81
    • 5th Sep 17, 8:01 AM
    • 5th Sep 17, 8:01 AM
    Refunds are calculated according to a strictly defined process.
    • amersall
    • By amersall 5th Sep 17, 8:10 AM
    • 16,674 Posts
    • 18,717 Thanks
    amersall
    • 5th Sep 17, 8:10 AM
    • 5th Sep 17, 8:10 AM
    MPPI would have been a separate monthly payment.

The refund would have been PPI actually paid, did they pay it to the end of the Mortgage, or was the redress part way through the Mortgage? as this would affect the amount received.

It is possible the PPI was a small amount each month, without you knowing what the monthly payment was, you have to accept the redress.

PPI is a defined refund as zx81 stated.

If this was not too long ago, you could ask the Mortgage company for the details again so you know it was the full redress.

• Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 5th Sep 17, 11:31 AM
    • 19,243 Posts
    • 9,361 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 5th Sep 17, 11:31 AM
    • 5th Sep 17, 11:31 AM
    My question is would they have refunded the full amount? Or should we still open a claim to check?
    Originally posted by VeronicaMars
    You don't "open a claim" in order to check, since you have no claim or complaint to lodge!

What you may do is politely ask for a breakdown of the original redress. It's your parents who will have to do this, of course, since it's their finance.

Expect the Bank to simply confirm that the original figures are correct.
    • VeronicaMars
    • By VeronicaMars 6th Sep 17, 8:09 AM
    • 169 Posts
    • 600 Thanks
    VeronicaMars
    • 6th Sep 17, 8:09 AM
    • 6th Sep 17, 8:09 AM
    Many thanks for taking the time to respond! I greatly appreciate it and you have put my mind at ease - I guess I clearly have trust issues !

Amersall, it was paid mid way through the mortgage, they currently still have the mortgage.

Moneyeptitude, I was meaning by that comment, that we know they paid PPI but should there be a chance it wasn't all refunded then still proceed with claiming the remainder. If it's all been refunded then as you stated there is obviously no claim, unless my parents have paid it on something else but that's unlikely since they are extremely debt adverse and I don't think they have ever had any debt other than their mortgage! I know my parents would be the ones to action anything, that was what I meant with "we". Really meaning them and hence why I didn't want to create any hassle for them.

It seems it's unanimous that they would have refunded the correct amount, again I was just slight untrusting of the situation but you have all put my mind at ease and we will likely leave the situation as it is - thank you all very much for the help!

• takman
    • By takman 6th Sep 17, 10:34 PM
    • 2,611 Posts
    • 2,164 Thanks
    takman
    • 6th Sep 17, 10:34 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 10:34 PM
    Why did you remove the name of the bank?. There is no reason why you can't say which bank it was.

You've been here over 3 years so you should know the only bank you can't mention is Bank of Sc**land; if you mention them you get banned even if you edit it out...
    • VeronicaMars
    • By VeronicaMars 7th Sep 17, 7:09 PM
    • 169 Posts
    • 600 Thanks
    VeronicaMars
    • 7th Sep 17, 7:09 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 7:09 PM
    Why did you remove the name of the bank?. There is no reason why you can't say which bank it was.

You've been here over 3 years so you should know the only bank you can't mention is Bank of Sc**land; if you mention them you get banned even if you edit it out...
    Originally posted by takman
    Ohhh no!!! I knew it!!! Can I delete the thread so I can pretend it never happened and hope they don't notice?!

I had the fear that the MSE team would give me into trouble! Veronica Mars is a good girl

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

166Posts Today

1,292Users online

Martin's Twitter