Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Turvey
    • By Turvey 4th Sep 17, 10:14 PM
    • 40Posts
    • 27Thanks
    Turvey
    3 Year Old TV From Currys
    • 4th Sep 17, 10:14 PM
    3 Year Old TV From Currys 4th Sep 17 at 10:14 PM
    We bought a Samsung UE46F6400 TV from the Inverness branch of Currys in May 2014 for £598.98. Paid for in full on a credit card.

Yesterday it developed a fault whereby there is a dark opaque section on the screen about a third of the way up.

Is it reasonable to ask Currys to look at it and repair it? Or do we just cut our loses and buy a new TV?

Things could be complicated by our location because AFAIK Currys service branch(Knowhow) don't come up here (the main reason we didn't take out an extended warranty)
Page 1
    • stuartJo1989
    • By stuartJo1989 4th Sep 17, 10:34 PM
    • 242 Posts
    • 206 Thanks
    stuartJo1989
    • 4th Sep 17, 10:34 PM
    • 4th Sep 17, 10:34 PM
    Well, I would ask the question to both Currys and the manufacturer. See what both say and what you'd need to do.

Your legal rights are against Currys, so you'd have to pursue it against them, but it doesn't harm to speak to the manufacturer in case they can offer you something alternative as well (ie a fairly cheap repair or a refurbished replacement).
    • Manxman in exile
    • By Manxman in exile 4th Sep 17, 10:40 PM
    • 1,017 Posts
    • 697 Thanks
    Manxman in exile
    • 4th Sep 17, 10:40 PM
    • 4th Sep 17, 10:40 PM
    Following a lot of the recent threads on this board, I think Samsung have done well to produce a TV that lasted longer than 3 years.

No help - I know - just an observation about the apparent short life of current TVs.
    • Leo2020
    • By Leo2020 5th Sep 17, 9:32 AM
    • 886 Posts
    • 651 Thanks
    Leo2020
    • 5th Sep 17, 9:32 AM
    • 5th Sep 17, 9:32 AM
    Had this happen to a Samsung TV after about 5/6 years. Decided to buy a new one and boxed old one up to give to my sister. Her TV was broke but a lot worse than mine - loads of libes across it. Anyway by the time she got the TV the blob had dissappeared. For whatever reason leaving it unpowered for a time cleared the problem.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 5th Sep 17, 9:42 AM
    • 9,859 Posts
    • 4,058 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 5th Sep 17, 9:42 AM
    • 5th Sep 17, 9:42 AM
    [QUOTE=Turvey;73080027]

Is it reasonable to ask Currys to look at it and repair it? Or do we just cut our loses and buy a new TV?

You can certainly ask but they will more than likely want an engineers report to proof a problem under Sale Of Goods Act .If its not repairable then any refund will be pro rata based upon age .
    • martinsurrey
    • By martinsurrey 5th Sep 17, 10:22 AM
    • 3,188 Posts
    • 3,878 Thanks
    martinsurrey
    • 5th Sep 17, 10:22 AM
    • 5th Sep 17, 10:22 AM

If its not repairable then any refund will be pro rata based upon age .
    Originally posted by JJ Egan
    and thats where this getts painful.

a £600 TV was at the cheaper end of the 46inch TV range, and its expected life will reflect that.

so, assume a 5 year replacement, that's 2/5ths replacement, or £240, IF the op proves its an inherent manufacturing fault.

if not you are £80 down on the report.

If it was me, I'd be replacing.
    • SouthUKMan
    • By SouthUKMan 6th Sep 17, 12:40 AM
    • 371 Posts
    • 296 Thanks
    SouthUKMan
    • 6th Sep 17, 12:40 AM
    • 6th Sep 17, 12:40 AM
    There is no harm in trying with Currys. After all, goods have to be fit for purpose, last a reasonable amount of time based on the price paid, etc.

Legally you have a right to pursue this if you believe that it is unreasonable for a £600 TV to develop a fault after three years.

You might find the store manager is reasonable and wants to keep you happy, and therefore makes you an offer. Or you might find he or she simply dismisses you... in which case I would personally probably just accept it as one of those things. Three years isn't that old for a TV but proving your case can be time consuming and cost you a bit of money if you have to pay for a report, etc
    • Shaka_Zulu
    • By Shaka_Zulu 6th Sep 17, 7:18 AM
    • 1,147 Posts
    • 2,631 Thanks
    Shaka_Zulu
    • 6th Sep 17, 7:18 AM
    • 6th Sep 17, 7:18 AM
    OP I don't think the other responders are aware of the difficulty you will have returning the TV to Currys. Do you not have an engineer on Orkney who can have a quick look?

Buy from John Lewis or somewhere that offers a five year warranty next time? (Still doesn't help with the logistics though)
    The best government is the government that governs least
    • Turvey
    • By Turvey 6th Sep 17, 9:17 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    Turvey
    • 6th Sep 17, 9:17 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 9:17 PM
    Thank you for all your replies.

£600 may be at the cheaper end for a TV but surely any TV whatever the price should last a reasonable time? I've read reports where anything from 50,000 hours to 100,000 hours have been quoted. If a TV was on 24/7 for 4 years that's only 35,000 hours. By my (very) rough maths, I reckon the TV has less than 10,000 hours on the clock!

As Shaka_Zulu points out returning a TV to Currys won't be easy given our location. Yes we do have TV engineers here but they are attached to the local TV shop and probably won't be too keen to look at a TV they didn't sell, and I don't really blame them.

I think I'll get a letter written over the weekend and fire it off to Currys head office and maybe one to Samsung as well. If I hear anything back I'll let you know.

Thank you.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 7th Sep 17, 9:37 AM
    • 9,859 Posts
    • 4,058 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    <£600 may be at the cheaper end for a TV but surely any TV whatever the price should last a reasonable time?>

YES but its up to you to prove this .
    You have local TV guys then you pay them for a report indicating the fault how and why .
    If your case is proven you get this fee back .
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,969Posts Today

8,729Users online

Martin's Twitter