Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • leebow55
    • By leebow55 4th Sep 17, 9:51 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 1Thanks
    leebow55
    Refund from Debt Collection Agency - Unknown Bus Lan Fine
    • 4th Sep 17, 9:51 PM
    Refund from Debt Collection Agency - Unknown Bus Lan Fine 4th Sep 17 at 9:51 PM
    Hello,sorry first time poster.

I had an out of blue phone call from mobile last week, it was a Debt Collection Agency named 'Collect Services'. Basically he was following up for payment for 2x unknown Bus Lane fines at the end of 2016. I had NO correspondence from Reading Borough Council and I know the reason for this I because after I had purchased my car earlier that year I never received the V5. I was initially able to tax the vehicle with the buyers slip and didn't think of the logbook until the following year when tax had expired and I needed to retax.

The DCA gave few details, but highlighted Court Cases and then being passed to them. He mentioned that we went to my old address and obviously I was not there. I know the current owners and they have confirmed that they did not receive the numerous letters that would have been the original fines. At the time of the Fine the car was still registered to the previous owner (they sold the car to a trader via auction) I am unsure how or why he went to that address, as it was never on the V5? When I submitted for the V5 I used my current address. Due to balliff visits and the overwhelming details they had on me, in pure blind panic I paid the requested amount (£581)

After the event I got an email with a photo picture of a hand written receipt. I have since got the Bus Lane reference numbers from Reading Borough Council.

Is there anything that I can do now, after the event?
Page 1
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 4th Sep 17, 10:06 PM
    • 14,601 Posts
    • 22,958 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 4th Sep 17, 10:06 PM
    • 4th Sep 17, 10:06 PM
    This isn't the forum to help on either council tickets or bailiff issues. So you need to do the following.

Council Tickets

As we tend to major on private parking tickets here, PePiPoo will be your best bet for council tickets. Register there (but please note that a hotmail address won't work) and post a new thread; here's your link:

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?act=SF&s=&f=30

Have a read through some of the other threads there before you post your own to get the hang of what information they need from you in your opening post - but as a minimum you will need to post redacted photos/scans of all correspondence you've received from the council (both sides, if appropriate) as they need to see all the small print.

Bailiff Issues

You will be best served in dealing with bailiffs by making contact with 'Bailiff Advice Online', who provides this excellent service, has an extremely good reputation for assisting people with bailiff issues.

(Text removed by MSE Forum Team)

Calls and the email enquiry service are free.

Here's your link:

http://bailiffadviceonline.co.uk

(Text removed by MSE Forum Team)

HTH
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam5; 05-09-2017 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Personal details
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • leebow55
    • By leebow55 4th Sep 17, 10:09 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    leebow55
    • 4th Sep 17, 10:09 PM
    • 4th Sep 17, 10:09 PM
    Thank you for response. Sorry this was first place to think of after advising on PCN's.

I had zero correspondence at all, so nothing to submit just a single phone call and instant panic. will follow suggestions
    • Marktheshark
    • By Marktheshark 4th Sep 17, 10:14 PM
    • 5,612 Posts
    • 7,038 Thanks
    Marktheshark
    • 4th Sep 17, 10:14 PM
    • 4th Sep 17, 10:14 PM
    Payment is admission of guilt.
    The case is closed and over.
    Brexit will become whatever they invent it to be.
    • Herbie21
    • By Herbie21 5th Sep 17, 8:04 AM
    • 759 Posts
    • 977 Thanks
    Herbie21
    • 5th Sep 17, 8:04 AM
    • 5th Sep 17, 8:04 AM

I had an out of blue phone call from mobile last week, it was a Debt Collection Agency named 'Collect Services'. Basically he was following up for payment for 2x unknown Bus Lane fines at the end of 2016. I had NO correspondence from Reading Borough Council and I know the reason for this I because after I had purchased my car earlier that year I never received the V5. I was initially able to tax the vehicle with the buyers slip and didn't think of the logbook until the following year when tax had expired and I needed to retax.

He mentioned that we went to my old address and obviously I was not there.

I know the current owners and they have confirmed that they did not receive the numerous letters that would have been the original fines.

At the time of the Fine the car was still registered to the previous owner (they sold the car to a trader via auction) I am unsure how or why he went to that address, as it was never on the V5?

When I submitted for the V5 I used my current address. Due to balliff visits and the overwhelming details they had on me, in pure blind panic I paid the requested amount (£581)
    Originally posted by leebow55
    Instead of contacting me via my website (www.Bailiffadviceonline.co.uk) it may help others as well if I respond here on the forum.

Where there has been wrongdoing (and I'm afraid that it happens all of the time) is that when a new address is identified, the council would KNOW that you had not received any of the previous notices and accordingly, a new Notice to Owner should be issued. This is not happening.

The government also permit a warrant to be 'resealed' when a new address is identified. However, this provision is only applicable in very rare cases and yours is not one of them.

It would seem to me that all the documentation and subsequent warrant had actually been issued to the previous owner. This would be the case because that person's name featured on DVLA records on the day of the contravention. What you must do is speak to Reading Council and ask them to confirm the name and address on all their notices. Next you need to ask whether a request had been made to 'reseal' the warrant and if you when.

There is a remedy available to you and that is to submit an Out of Witness Statement to the Traffic Enforcement Centre. It makes no difference that you paid the debt (that is why the application is called 'Out of Time'....ie; late).

The following page outlines what Out of Time witness statements are. Please do not rush to submit an application without first obtaining the information from Reading Borough Council. Once you have done so, please post back.

http://bailiffadviceonline.co.uk/index/traffic-enforcement-centre-tec/out-of-time-witness-statement
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 5th Sep 17, 5:09 PM
    • 50,119 Posts
    • 63,499 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 5th Sep 17, 5:09 PM
    • 5th Sep 17, 5:09 PM
    There is a remedy available to you and that is to submit an Out of Witness Statement to the Traffic Enforcement Centre. It makes no difference that you paid the debt (that is why the application is called 'Out of Time'....ie; late).

The following page outlines what Out of Time witness statements are. Please do not rush to submit an application without first obtaining the information from Reading Borough Council. Once you have done so, please post back.
    That's very interesting, Herbie21. I didn't know that.

The OP should follow your advice.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• leebow55
    • By leebow55 11th Sep 17, 11:38 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    leebow55
    • 11th Sep 17, 11:38 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 11:38 PM
    Hello, apologies for delay in reply. I needed to do more investigations for more and also went on holiday. I have since confirmed that the Bus Lane PCNs were issued to a car registered to me (not previous owner as first thought), and that the V5 had an out of date address. Hence no NTKs or other correspondence.

I am willing to complete the OOT form if suitable.

So to confirm some details in a summary timeline

August 2015 - Purchased car. Registered at Address A
    Sept 2015 - Moved House to Address B. I did not update logbook
    Sept 2016 - Bus Lane PCN sent to Address A
    Oct 2016 - Bus Lane PCN sent to Address A
    April 2017 - Sold car
    Sept 2017 - Collect Services phone me demanding the money for the 2 above PCNs. Panicked as would have paid Council PCNs immediately if aware and paid the £560 fine.

I have confirmed with the council that NTKs where sent to Address A. However the helpdesk have no information other than my Vehicle Details, registered owner details, PCN number etc and status of PCN. If there is a tiny possibility of a case using the OOT form I am more than willing to complete and gather as much detail in writing/email from TEC/Council/receipts of house move/car purchase
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 12th Sep 17, 1:29 AM
    • 50,119 Posts
    • 63,499 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 12th Sep 17, 1:29 AM
    • 12th Sep 17, 1:29 AM
    If there is a tiny possibility of a case using the OOT form I am more than willing to complete and gather as much detail in writing/email from TEC/Council/receipts of house move/car purchase
    Yes, there is a case. Herbie21 may be back to see this update.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,614Posts Today

8,745Users online

Martin's Twitter