Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PhylPho
    • By PhylPho 4th Sep 17, 7:59 PM
    • 1,247Posts
    • 2,723Thanks
    PhylPho
    0 WOW
    ** UK Weekend Away Insurance Cover **
    • 4th Sep 17, 7:59 PM
    0 WOW
    ** UK Weekend Away Insurance Cover ** 4th Sep 17 at 7:59 PM
    Being sound of body, if not necessarily sound of mind, Mrs P and I travel far and wide. It's what happens when you retire. Or, well, it should do.

We have annual travel insurance for Europe and the USA and it's excellent. However . . . no annual travel insurance policy of which we're aware covers stays of less than 3 days in the UK.

Once upon a time, fifty quid got you a week in Benidorm (should you ever have wanted such) from Clarkson's Holidays. Nowadays -- looking at our current weekend-away-in-a-British-city plan -- fifty quid doesn't even cover the train fare.

So. We're shortly to go to Birmingham, jewel of the British Isles. Or perhaps that's over-stating it. Anyway. Train fare for us from where we are is over £150 and one night's accomm, another £100. Nowadays, £250 may seem, to some, to be insignificant. To us, it ain't.

As everything booked in advance at an advance tariff is always but always non-refundable, then that's £250 just placed in hazard. Does anyone know of an insurer offering cover for stays of less than 3 days within the UK? Appreciated. Thanks.
Page 1
    • HogMan
    • By HogMan 5th Sep 17, 12:34 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    HogMan
    • 5th Sep 17, 12:34 PM
    • 5th Sep 17, 12:34 PM
    no annual travel insurance policy of which we're aware covers stays of less than 3 days in the UK.
    The one I have through work underwritten by Lloyds does, provided you have a flight and/or pre booked accomodation
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 5th Sep 17, 12:41 PM
    • 35,657 Posts
    • 45,905 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 5th Sep 17, 12:41 PM
    • 5th Sep 17, 12:41 PM
    We dont bother with any insurance if we are in the Uk .
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent
    • lika_86
    • By lika_86 5th Sep 17, 3:10 PM
    • 1,184 Posts
    • 4,222 Thanks
    lika_86
    • 5th Sep 17, 3:10 PM
    • 5th Sep 17, 3:10 PM
    Try American Express
    • PhylPho
    • By PhylPho 6th Sep 17, 9:30 AM
    • 1,247 Posts
    • 2,723 Thanks
    PhylPho
    • 6th Sep 17, 9:30 AM
    • 6th Sep 17, 9:30 AM
    Thanks everyone.

I'm still looking. I looked at one website because it said it issues cover for UK trips, providing at least one night's accommodation is pre-booked. I asked for a quote for 3 days' duration, although we're only way for 2. It quoted £48.00 for cover up to £5 million. It also stipulated a £50 per insured excess. The math doesn't strike me as enticing.

I checked out American Express. It seems no different to most other travel insurance providers, offering single, annual, and student insurance. Nothing specific to UK travel. The minimum it offered (for 3 days' UK cover) was 7 days cover including Egypt. Quote for two people: £98. As we're going to Birmingham, not Cairo, £98 seemed rather steep.

Our interest in insurance cover stems from the fact that we've never bothered with it before when holidaying in the UK because we've never seen the need.

But friends of ours recently had to forego a booked-and-paid-for 2-night London Theatre break including theatre tickets, hotel accommodation and rail fares because husband came down with a tummy bug on the eve of departure and wasn't fit to travel anywhere.

They, too, never saw the point of having insurance cover for a few days away in the UK. Now they have an irrecoverable loss of £512. might just as well have chucked it down the drain.

When sums of money at risk are to be measured in the £100s, it seems to me that the days when it was possible to say: foreign holiday = travel insurance, UK short break = don't bother with travel insurance, are over.
    • martindow
    • By martindow 6th Sep 17, 12:01 PM
    • 7,266 Posts
    • 4,053 Thanks
    martindow
    • 6th Sep 17, 12:01 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 12:01 PM
    The main reason for me buying travel insurance for going abroad is the medical cover for potential huge bills which could bankrupt me. For UK holidays I am happy to self insure accepting that there could be an odd occasion where I could lose out.

The OP's friends have probably had dozens of trips within the UK before the £512 they have lost. If they had insured for all of their trips they probably would have paid more than that.

I wonder, though, whether some annual policies provide cover in Britain as well as abroad.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 7th Sep 17, 2:16 PM
    • 3,875 Posts
    • 2,884 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 7th Sep 17, 2:16 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 2:16 PM
    A Google search for "weekend breaks UK insurance " brought up several sites .

One was https://www.direct-travel.co.uk/uk-day-break/

but there are others
    • Ferretwins1
    • By Ferretwins1 7th Sep 17, 3:42 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Ferretwins1
    • 7th Sep 17, 3:42 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 3:42 PM
    I think some banks cover you although mine is only only for abroad. cancellationplan has UK cover rather cheap although you won't need medical insurance because you have NHS cover anyway :-)
    • ManAtHome
    • By ManAtHome 7th Sep 17, 4:27 PM
    • 8,168 Posts
    • 5,300 Thanks
    ManAtHome
    • 7th Sep 17, 4:27 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 4:27 PM
    Nationwide Building Society insurance covers UK if 2 or more nights booked, underwriters are UK Insurance Ltd.(RBS/Direct Line?)
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 7th Sep 17, 5:33 PM
    • 11,248 Posts
    • 7,529 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    If insurance is seeming elusive and when found the rates unacceptable, the easiest solution is to book your accommodation/fares to those which are cancellable. In effect, probably the same cost against the non cancellable with the 'risk'.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

410Posts Today

3,393Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin