Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Beenie
    • By Beenie 4th Sep 17, 7:37 PM
    • 1,061Posts
    • 1,129Thanks
    Beenie
    Using 'foils' for home hair highlights
    • 4th Sep 17, 7:37 PM
    Using 'foils' for home hair highlights 4th Sep 17 at 7:37 PM
    I used to use a cap and a highlighting kit from Boots to do my hair. The cap is really painful now, and I know that in a hairdressing salon 'foils' are used instead.

Has anyone done this at home themselves? Is it easy? And where did you buy the foils?
Page 1
    • BOBS
    • By BOBS 4th Sep 17, 7:40 PM
    • 2,714 Posts
    • 2,054 Thanks
    BOBS
    • 4th Sep 17, 7:40 PM
    • 4th Sep 17, 7:40 PM
    I have had foils done in a salon - cant imagine this would be easy to achieve on yourself. They take small sections and then weave through and lift part on top of the foil before painting on the dye/bleach etc, and then repeating. A professional took an hour to do my head - cant imagine trying myself.
    Sorry not more helpful/
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 5th Sep 17, 11:39 AM
    • 1,901 Posts
    • 6,349 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    • 5th Sep 17, 11:39 AM
    • 5th Sep 17, 11:39 AM
    if you have a Sallys shop near you they sell foils, plus all the other gear. I think it would be difficult to do on yourself but I do my daughter's holiday colours with foils - maybe find a friend to help.
    I used to do the cap and hook thing myself when I was an impoverished student - foils would be a lot harder and would involve lots of mirrors!
    • donnac2558
    • By donnac2558 5th Sep 17, 12:46 PM
    • 2,319 Posts
    • 1,932 Thanks
    donnac2558
    • 5th Sep 17, 12:46 PM
    • 5th Sep 17, 12:46 PM
    I used to do a friend's hair and used normal tin fold cut up. I am not a hairdresser but it was fine. Couldn't see how you can do it on your own?
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 5th Sep 17, 7:20 PM
    • 8,219 Posts
    • 4,891 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 5th Sep 17, 7:20 PM
    • 5th Sep 17, 7:20 PM
    I can't imagine doing it myself, as I can't even see the foils at the back, so it would be very difficult to balance the colours.

My hairdresser only charges £28-£35 (depending on how she feels ?) for a cut, foils and blow dry, so not worth the effort/risk of diy.
    • Beenie
    • By Beenie 6th Sep 17, 10:52 AM
    • 1,061 Posts
    • 1,129 Thanks
    Beenie
    • 6th Sep 17, 10:52 AM
    • 6th Sep 17, 10:52 AM
    Teddysmum, that is an absolute bargain.

Where I live, a cut&blow alone is £30++ and if you go for highlights the cost is nearer £90.(I'm in the south-east btw).
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 6th Sep 17, 10:56 AM
    • 1,901 Posts
    • 6,349 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    • 6th Sep 17, 10:56 AM
    • 6th Sep 17, 10:56 AM
    Same for me Beenie - I think the c&b would be more but I never go for that. They charged £35 to 'dip dye' my daughter's hair pink last year and it only lasted a couple of weeks so that is why I taught myself to do it.
    • BOBS
    • By BOBS 6th Sep 17, 12:31 PM
    • 2,714 Posts
    • 2,054 Thanks
    BOBS
    • 6th Sep 17, 12:31 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 12:31 PM

Where I live, a cut&blow alone is £30++ and if you go for highlights the cost is nearer £90.(I'm in the south-east btw).
    Originally posted by Beenie
    beanie it would be worth a drive further north - I pay £15 for wash cut and blow dry
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 6th Sep 17, 4:41 PM
    • 8,219 Posts
    • 4,891 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 6th Sep 17, 4:41 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 4:41 PM

Originally posted by Beenie
    I'm in Staffordshire and after mentioning being dissatisfied with a line of hairdressers was recommended this salon by a yoga group member.

The price started at £25 about 7 years ago then crept up to over £30,but dropped again the other week to £28.

There are only two hairdressers, the owner and an employee in her thirties. It's the latter who does my hair, then asks the owner how much. She always has to think, then comes up with a price.

They are cheap, compared to other locals, but the penalty for low costs is a long wait, as they are so popular (but will fit you in ,if you need to have an urgent makeover.)
    • StaffieTerrier
    • By StaffieTerrier 7th Sep 17, 8:48 AM
    • 279 Posts
    • 469 Thanks
    StaffieTerrier
    I use a mobile hairdresser. She charges £30 for a full head of foils (I have 2 colours), plus £10 for a cut and blowdry. She works in a salon one day a week. I know if I go to the salon the same thing would cost me £120. While she's at my house, waiting for my colour to take, she cuts my partner's hair for £5. It's worth asking around to see if anyone can recommend a mobile hairdresser.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 7th Sep 17, 3:59 PM
    • 8,219 Posts
    • 4,891 Thanks
    teddysmum
    I use a mobile hairdresser. She charges £30 for a full head of foils (I have 2 colours), plus £10 for a cut and blowdry. She works in a salon one day a week. I know if I go to the salon the same thing would cost me £120. While she's at my house, waiting for my colour to take, she cuts my partner's hair for £5. It's worth asking around to see if anyone can recommend a mobile hairdresser.
    Originally posted by StaffieTerrier

I would hate having my hair backwashed in a normal sink. I wash my own hair facing forwards ,but can avoid water trickling across my face , but the mobile hairdresser I used (in her home though) caused a lot of trickles across my face ,soaking my towel.
    • StaffieTerrier
    • By StaffieTerrier 8th Sep 17, 8:25 AM
    • 279 Posts
    • 469 Thanks
    StaffieTerrier
    I would hate having my hair backwashed in a normal sink. I wash my own hair facing forwards ,but can avoid water trickling across my face , but the mobile hairdresser I used (in her home though) caused a lot of trickles across my face ,soaking my towel.
    Originally posted by teddysmum
    One of the reasons I use a mobile hairdresser is I don't like people touching me, plus I have sensitive patches on my scalp due to scarring. I avoid salons because of the way they wash your hair, far to aggressively for me.

My hairdresser lets me wash my own hair (in my house or in her's). I've been using her for 9 years now so she's used to my quirks, plus I trust her
    • rae123
    • By rae123 14th Sep 17, 11:54 AM
    • 31 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    rae123
    I can't imagine doing it myself, as I can't even see the foils at the back, so it would be very difficult to balance the colours.

My hairdresser only charges £28-£35 (depending on how she feels ?) for a cut, foils and blow dry, so not worth the effort/risk of diy.
    Originally posted by teddysmum
    That's crazy!! I live in the North West and you'd pay £70-£90 for a full head cut and blow dry!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,084Posts Today

6,619Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin