Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ratrace
    • By ratrace 4th Sep 17, 5:58 PM
    • 452Posts
    • 308Thanks
    ratrace
    Wear Contact lenses + Glasses
    • 4th Sep 17, 5:58 PM
    Wear Contact lenses + Glasses 4th Sep 17 at 5:58 PM
    Hi all

I have a very high prescription for my glasses +12 in the right eye and +12.75 in the left
    im sick of having thick lenses for my glasses even after I have paid for high index lenses they still seem thickish

after a lot of reading it seems that I could buy some contact lenses say at +10 power and wear glasses on top of +2 power so it will make the overall appearance a lot better and a well needed confidence boost

has anybody on here or you know of done this before or is anybody on here that has a high prescription if so how do you cope

thanks
    People are caught up in an egotistic artificial rat race to display a false image to society. We want the biggest house, fanciest car, and we don't mind paying the sky high mortgage to put up that show. We sacrifice our biggest assets our health and time, We feel happy when we see people look up to us and see how successful we are”

Rat Race
Page 1
    • donkichotis
    • By donkichotis 5th Sep 17, 10:30 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    donkichotis
    • 5th Sep 17, 10:30 AM
    • 5th Sep 17, 10:30 AM
    Hey, is there a specific reason that you don't use just contact lenses with your prescription (+12)?
    Why would you want the contacts and glasses on top?

Cheers
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 5th Sep 17, 11:20 AM
    • 6,228 Posts
    • 11,233 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    • 5th Sep 17, 11:20 AM
    • 5th Sep 17, 11:20 AM
    Back in the day when someone came in over +10 I would just refuse the fit, faffing about with fitting a contact lens only to have to over fit glasses wasn't worth my time and the flack from higher ups with regard to sales generated by the time spent on the opticians chair.

Towards the end of my community practice I started using the biofinity XR range for high plus fits after speaking to a desperate mum of a +14 school girl. The lenses go to +16 and were a good lens. There are other XR lenses on the market now, you're much more likely to get fitted with an XR lens than to have a combo prescription.

Do bear in mind that putting in lenses will be really difficult for you and you won't get them home until you've managed it a few times without needing help or coaching. It's just the nature of your prescription, you won't see the lens.
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT
    (unless it's on offer and can get my loyalty points)
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 5th Sep 17, 11:22 AM
    • 6,228 Posts
    • 11,233 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    • 5th Sep 17, 11:22 AM
    • 5th Sep 17, 11:22 AM
    Hey, is there a specific reason that you don't use just contact lenses with your prescription (+12)?

Cheers
    Originally posted by donkichotis
    Probably because most commercial lenses don't come in high plus prescriptions and before the ones that do came onto the market you'd either be fitted with a hard gas permeable lens or have to buy a custom soft lens that cost hundreds of pounds.
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT
    • ratrace
    • By ratrace 5th Sep 17, 11:51 AM
    • 452 Posts
    • 308 Thanks
    ratrace
    • 5th Sep 17, 11:51 AM
    • 5th Sep 17, 11:51 AM

Cheers
    hi thanks for your reply

yes the main reason is that i have a lazy left eye and fairly small eyes so if i just wear contact then the eye would be noticeable more than glasses im fairly self conscious about it
    People are caught up in an egotistic artificial rat race to display a false image to society. We want the biggest house, fanciest car, and we don't mind paying the sky high mortgage to put up that show. We sacrifice our biggest assets our health and time, We feel happy when we see people look up to us and see how successful we are”

Rat Race
    • donkichotis
    • By donkichotis 5th Sep 17, 11:54 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    donkichotis
    • 5th Sep 17, 11:54 AM
    • 5th Sep 17, 11:54 AM
    I have to disagree because that is not completely true.

There are lenses from CooperVision that go from +20 to -20.
    And you can find these powers in multifocal contacts as well.

Can I post the link or is it not allowed?
    - What I love about me is that I am always right
    • ratrace
    • By ratrace 5th Sep 17, 11:58 AM
    • 452 Posts
    • 308 Thanks
    ratrace
    • 5th Sep 17, 11:58 AM
    • 5th Sep 17, 11:58 AM
    Back in the day when someone came in over +10 I would just refuse the fit, faffing about with fitting a contact lens only to have to over fit glasses wasn't worth my time and the flack from higher ups with regard to sales generated by the time spent on the opticians chair.

Towards the end of my community practice I started using the biofinity XR range for high plus fits after speaking to a desperate mum of a +14 school girl. The lenses go to +16 and were a good lens. There are other XR lenses on the market now, you're much more likely to get fitted with an XR lens than to have a combo prescription.

Do bear in mind that putting in lenses will be really difficult for you and you won't get them home until you've managed it a few times without needing help or coaching. It's just the nature of your prescription, you won't see the lens.
    Originally posted by GlasweJen
    Thanks, but fortunately the technology has come on leaps and bounds in the last few years ive seen some contact lenses go upto +20 which is quite good as they only went upto +8 when i first was thinking about them many years ago

Rat Race
    • ratrace
    • By ratrace 5th Sep 17, 12:02 PM
    • 452 Posts
    • 308 Thanks
    ratrace
    • 5th Sep 17, 12:02 PM
    • 5th Sep 17, 12:02 PM
    I have to disagree because that is not completely true.

There are lenses from CooperVision that go from +20 to -20.
    And you can find these powers in multifocal contacts as well.

Can I post the link or is it not allowed?
    Ill check the website out

Rat Race
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 5th Sep 17, 12:36 PM
    • 6,228 Posts
    • 11,233 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    • 5th Sep 17, 12:36 PM
    • 5th Sep 17, 12:36 PM
    hi thanks for your reply

yes the main reason is that i have a lazy left eye and fairly small eyes so if i just wear contact then the eye would be noticeable more than glasses im fairly self conscious about it
    Originally posted by ratrace
    Does your lazy left eye "drift" I.e do you have a squint? It's possible to superficially "fix" a squint with well fitted contact lenses. Both my cousin and a work colleague successfully suppressed their squints with contacts though both will drift off if they get tired or over wear the lens.

NOT BUYING IT
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 5th Sep 17, 12:37 PM
    • 6,228 Posts
    • 11,233 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    Thanks, but fortunately the technology has come on leaps and bounds in the last few years ive seen some contact lenses go upto +20 which is quite good as they only went upto +8 when i first was thinking about them many years ago
    I only fit hard lenses for kerratoconus now so I'm so far out of the softies game that it's unreal.

NOT BUYING IT
    • kirtondm
    • By kirtondm 5th Sep 17, 5:15 PM
    • 139 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    kirtondm
    For someone with small eyes I would certainly considerthe RGP option
    I fitteda +14 girl not so long ago

Control of the squint may be more of a problem
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 5th Sep 17, 9:52 PM
    • 6,228 Posts
    • 11,233 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    For someone with small eyes I would certainly considerthe RGP option
    I fitteda +14 girl not so long ago

Control of the squint may be more of a problem
    Originally posted by kirtondm
    I agree, I love RGPs but I think I only fitted 4 in my life as a community optom and 2 of those were during my pre-reg.

NOT BUYING IT
    • kirtondm
    • By kirtondm 6th Sep 17, 2:53 PM
    • 139 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    kirtondm
    I did a HES pre-reg so probably more keen than most my age for doing it + an ex RGP wearer myself

Probably fit 2 x per year in commuinity.
    • pollyanna24
    • By pollyanna24 19th Sep 17, 2:03 PM
    • 3,667 Posts
    • 4,345 Thanks
    pollyanna24
    My glasses are about +13 I think, but my contacts slightly less (something to do with the lens closer to the eye?).

Having said that, they might be worse now as having had a test in a while. I buy my contacts online which are bog standard lens, but they highest strength they have is +12.
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    House Worth (approx) - £400,000
    Mortgages (2nd July 2017) - £183,377.40
    Equity - £216,522.60
    • ratrace
    • By ratrace 19th Sep 17, 4:52 PM
    • 452 Posts
    • 308 Thanks
    ratrace
    My glasses are about +13 I think, but my contacts slightly less (something to do with the lens closer to the eye?).

Having said that, they might be worse now as having had a test in a while. I buy my contacts online which are bog standard lens, but they highest strength they have is +12.
    Originally posted by pollyanna24
    hi thanks for this, do you wear contact lenses as well as glasses or just the contacts

do you have a link to the contacts you buy i want to see the price range thanks

Rat Race
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 19th Sep 17, 6:43 PM
    • 8,217 Posts
    • 4,891 Thanks
    teddysmum
    hi thanks for your reply

Were you not given exercises as a child ?

When I was little (1950s) lots of schoolchildren had a plaster patch on one lens.I don't really remember having one for long but did enjoy the exercise games where you had to get the chicken on its nest, wheels on a car...all in colour.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 19th Sep 17, 6:51 PM
    • 8,217 Posts
    • 4,891 Thanks
    teddysmum
    I wish I could wear contacts. I did well with the trail wear , but hated inserting them (lard lenses as soft were very very expensive then),as my eyes are very sensitive and even hate water with applying eyeliner to the left one very uncomfortable.

Mine cost over £100 a long time ago, but a cold which affected my eyes was enough to take a break, then a week of holiday where I didn't want to mess about ,so I gave up.

I envied my sister whose sight is wore than mine, but in the last few years her tolerance of contacts has greatly decreased so she's back to mainly glasses.

There's no point in me trying again at 68,when my sister doesn't tolerate them at just 60.
    • ratrace
    • By ratrace 20th Sep 17, 11:36 AM
    • 452 Posts
    • 308 Thanks
    ratrace
    I wish I could wear contacts. I did well with the trail wear , but hated inserting them (lard lenses as soft were very very expensive then),as my eyes are very sensitive and even hate water with applying eyeliner to the left one very uncomfortable.

Mine cost over £100 a long time ago, but a cold which affected my eyes was enough to take a break, then a week of holiday where I didn't want to mess about ,so I gave up.

I envied my sister whose sight is wore than mine, but in the last few years her tolerance of contacts has greatly decreased so she's back to mainly glasses.

There's no point in me trying again at 68,when my sister doesn't tolerate them at just 60.
    Originally posted by teddysmum
    Yeah i was given a patch to cover the good eye but no game, just told to wear it as much as possible but it was not a nice experience im 29,i think contacts have come a long way ive seen some that are +20 which im +12 so there is hope, also i would love to wear sunglasses as driving in the summer time can be a pain when the sun is beaming down lol

Rat Race
    • ashishverma011
    • By ashishverma011 20th Sep 17, 2:00 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ashishverma011
    I don't think there will be much difference in the thickness afterall. Consult your doctor and do whatever he/she suggests. That would be a better and safe option.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,237Posts Today

8,192Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin