Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bootcutboy
    • By bootcutboy 4th Sep 17, 2:49 PM
    • 159Posts
    • 10Thanks
    bootcutboy
    0 WOW
    Please Please Please help me find last minute holiday!!!
    • 4th Sep 17, 2:49 PM
    0 WOW
    Please Please Please help me find last minute holiday!!! 4th Sep 17 at 2:49 PM
    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help me find a last minute holiday!

We are wanting to jet off for a week to the Canaries, Greek Islands, Cyprus, Italy or somewhere similar (not egypt or Dubai) for my 40th Bday and can only fly this Saturday or Sunday due to my wife's work commitments.

We have been trawling the internet every day on Holiday Pirates, Onthebeach, Thomas Cook, Thomson, First Choice, Travel supermarket etc... but cannot find anything that fits our requirements as below, we are getting really worried now that we won't find anything in time so if anyone can help then please get back to me asap!

We can fly from Newcastle, Leeds or Manchester

We would like 5* if All Inclusive and max budget would be £850

We would want 4* Min for Self Catering and would only really like to pay £350 tops so we have enough spends for the week.

Adults only would be a big plus for us.

Any help would be really really appreciated thank you!
    Last edited by bootcutboy; 04-09-2017 at 2:51 PM. Reason: Added Info
Page 1
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 4th Sep 17, 3:00 PM
    • 538 Posts
    • 883 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    • 4th Sep 17, 3:00 PM
    • 4th Sep 17, 3:00 PM
    Look at 4* all inclusive and you'll get lots more options. Some 4* hotels are as good as 5*, some are far better. Don't rely solely on the star rating.

Jet2 fly from all three of those airports. They do have 5* options but you'd need to increase your budget.
    Last edited by BorisThomson; 04-09-2017 at 3:03 PM.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 4th Sep 17, 3:17 PM
    • 18,310 Posts
    • 7,581 Thanks
    richardw
    • 4th Sep 17, 3:17 PM
    • 4th Sep 17, 3:17 PM
    You've got to put the time in to search yourself, there are some evening flights on Friday so include that day.

Look at Monarch.

Jet2 have some cheap flights to Lanzarote from Manchester and there's accommodation available, just do a diy holiday.
    Last edited by richardw; 04-09-2017 at 5:12 PM.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • Westin
    • By Westin 4th Sep 17, 8:12 PM
    • 1,192 Posts
    • 863 Thanks
    Westin
    • 4th Sep 17, 8:12 PM
    • 4th Sep 17, 8:12 PM
    Presumably those budget figures are per person.

Have you looked at Thomas Cook for 5*AI in Turkey? Those seem to be around the £600-£700 mark pp.
    • dawyldthing
    • By dawyldthing 4th Sep 17, 8:58 PM
    • 2,621 Posts
    • 2,067 Thanks
    dawyldthing
    • 4th Sep 17, 8:58 PM
    • 4th Sep 17, 8:58 PM
    Sky scanner for flights (select your airport and 'I'll go anywhere' to find your cheapest destinations)

Trivago for hotels/ apartments

Resort hoppa for transfers

Travel republic if you want them to do the work for you.

It's rather late so £350 self catering might be pushing it but you won't be far off now the kids are back
    My targets to end 2018:
    1) To get down to 11 stone 7lbs then treat to a safari. At start 17 stone 7 lbs *43lbs lost* *41lbs to go*
    Started SW16st13lbs 11/7/17 - 19 weeks in -35lbs
    3/9 to NYE 12lbs down / 4lbs to go
    2) to find new challenges
    • bootcutboy
    • By bootcutboy 5th Sep 17, 11:06 AM
    • 159 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    bootcutboy
    • 5th Sep 17, 11:06 AM
    • 5th Sep 17, 11:06 AM
    Hi all, yes the prices I mentioned are per person so we should really be able to find something for our budget.

Yes I keep seeing the Turkey 5* All Inc deals but it's just not somewhere we wish to go again, same with Egypt, not our kind of place even if the resorts are supposedly 5*.

I will have a look at booking hotel and flight separately, I just think the missus would prefer the security of a package deal with. Travel company.

Please get back to me if you see ANY deals for the destinations I mentioned.

Thanks again all, getting desperate and worried now!!!
    • richardw
    • By richardw 5th Sep 17, 11:11 AM
    • 18,310 Posts
    • 7,581 Thanks
    richardw
    • 5th Sep 17, 11:11 AM
    • 5th Sep 17, 11:11 AM
    Thomson have MAN to Lanzarote flights £59 return excl add ons.

...I will have a look at booking hotel and flight separately, I just think the missus would prefer the security of a package deal....
    Originally posted by bootcutboy
    A much cheaper diy flight and hotel trip to Lanzarote may be worth taking the risk.
    Last edited by richardw; 05-09-2017 at 11:16 AM.
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 5th Sep 17, 11:20 AM
    • 4,588 Posts
    • 6,017 Thanks
    spadoosh
    • 5th Sep 17, 11:20 AM
    • 5th Sep 17, 11:20 AM
    Hi all, yes the prices I mentioned are per person so we should really be able to find something for our budget.

Yes I keep seeing the Turkey 5* All Inc deals but it's just not somewhere we wish to go again, same with Egypt, not our kind of place even if the resorts are supposedly 5*.

I will have a look at booking hotel and flight separately, I just think the missus would prefer the security of a package deal with. Travel company.

Please get back to me if you see ANY deals for the destinations I mentioned.

Thanks again all, getting desperate and worried now!!!
    Dont think youre quite that far, if it was youd be willing to be more flexible.

If youre not flexible you normally pay more. Ok saying you should be able to get a deal for that price, but if youre not finding any then i would guess either your budget needs to flex or your requirement from the hotel/destination needs to flex. Yes they might have holidays for that price but a week before if you think its a good deal lots of other holiday makers who checked first mightve thought it was a good deal too and theyve now sold out.

Out of curiousity why would you fancy cyprus but not turkey? Think its a bit like saying Hebrides is ok but not scotland.
    Don't be angry!
    • bootcutboy
    • By bootcutboy 5th Sep 17, 11:22 AM
    • 159 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    bootcutboy
    • 5th Sep 17, 11:22 AM
    • 5th Sep 17, 11:22 AM
    Thomson have MAN to Lanzarote flights £59 return excl add ons.

A much cheaper diy flight and hotel trip to Lanzarote may be worth taking the risk.
    Originally posted by richardw
    Ok I will take a look at doing the flight and hotel separately, the main problem I have is that I dont really know lanzarote at all so I am basically looking blind at hotels and don't know the regions and stuff.
    • bootcutboy
    • By bootcutboy 5th Sep 17, 11:35 AM
    • 159 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    bootcutboy

If youre not flexible you normally pay more. Ok saying you should be able to get a deal for that price, but if youre not finding any then i would guess either your budget needs to flex or your requirement from the hotel/destination needs to flex. Yes they might have holidays for that price but a week before if you think its a good deal lots of other holiday makers who checked first mightve thought it was a good deal too and theyve now sold out.

Out of curiousity why would you fancy cyprus but not turkey? Think its a bit like saying Hebrides is ok but not scotland.
    Originally posted by spadoosh
    Yes I know what you mean about the Cyprus/Turkey issue, I actually put Cyprus by mistake sorry all, just not somewhere we are interested in going.

I think the main problem is actually that I personally am used to holidaying further afield Cuba, Mexico etc.. where you generally get really good standard for your buck, because of this for this holiday we have been looking at 5* hotels in Europe, so yes the prices are a couple hundred quid more than we expect to pay, so I will start looking at 4* however we are looking for peace and quiet, relaxation and recouperation and we would hate to end up in a raucous hotel full of drunken chavs and screaming kids.

I've also never ever waited for a last minute deal before so I think this is making me anxious and panic that there is nothing out there.

I really appreciate all the input chaps!
    • loobs40
    • By loobs40 5th Sep 17, 11:35 AM
    • 1,202 Posts
    • 3,434 Thanks
    loobs40
    Trip Advisor can be your friend

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotels-g187477-Lanzarote_Canary_Islands-Hotels.html

• bootcutboy
    • By bootcutboy 5th Sep 17, 11:36 AM
    • 159 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    bootcutboy
    Also just looking at the cheap Thomson flights, they are only cheap if you don't want to take any luggage with you, the price soon jumps up then.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 5th Sep 17, 12:43 PM
    • 18,310 Posts
    • 7,581 Thanks
    richardw
    But they ain't £300 return which is how high they can get at peak times.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 5th Sep 17, 12:53 PM
    • 18,310 Posts
    • 7,581 Thanks
    richardw
    Also just looking at the cheap Thomson flights, they are only cheap if you don't want to take any luggage with you, the price soon jumps up then.
    Do an all-in comparison with Jet2 and others.
    • pattycake
    • By pattycake 5th Sep 17, 1:42 PM
    • 1,178 Posts
    • 982 Thanks
    pattycake
    You've got to put the work in. Find hotels which meet your criteria and budget then trawl through the reviews on Trip Advisor. That's what I always do and we holiday at least four or five times a year. I don't do last minute though as I like to weigh up all the options. It takes persistence to find the best deal and a resort/hotel which suits you. What I like will not necessarily be your choice.
    • mattyprice4004
    • By mattyprice4004 10th Sep 17, 7:43 PM
    • 3,505 Posts
    • 2,933 Thanks
    mattyprice4004
    If you're surprised by this, you mustn't travel much within the EU. It's pretty standard.

It's a 4 hour each way return flight for £59, paying another £30 per bag each way isn't the end of the world.
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 10th Sep 17, 8:47 PM
    • 711 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    WAYT

Originally posted by spadoosh
    I don't get the comparison at all. Is Cyprus Turkey in your eyes?? I think they would disagree quite strongly.
    Also one needs a visa for Turkey. You don't for Cyprus.
    Personally I think Cyprus would have been a good choice.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

722Posts Today

6,140Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin