Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • powercuttroubles
    • By powercuttroubles 4th Sep 17, 1:05 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    powercuttroubles
    Power cut and boiler damage
    • 4th Sep 17, 1:05 PM
    Power cut and boiler damage 4th Sep 17 at 1:05 PM
    Hi all - Just posting for advice if anyone can help. Our area had a power cut last week. When power was restored our boiler no longer worked. We have had a tradesman and electrician out who have repaired it and feel the damage was caused by a "power surge". I am waiting for them to send an invoice with notes explaining specifically what damage was caused. I have called the national grid on several occasions who initially said to claim it from home insurance and then said the damage to the power lines was caused by a third party so they are not liable. I w as wondering if anyone knows whether they are likely to be liable and whether there is an ombudsman that regulates them (I have googled but unsuccessfully!).
    Thank you
Page 1
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 4th Sep 17, 8:20 PM
    • 4,191 Posts
    • 2,436 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 4th Sep 17, 8:20 PM
    • 4th Sep 17, 8:20 PM
    Hi all - Just posting for advice if anyone can help. Our area had a power cut last week. When power was restored our boiler no longer worked. We have had a tradesman and electrician out who have repaired it and feel the damage was caused by a "power surge". I am waiting for them to send an invoice with notes explaining specifically what damage was caused. I have called the national grid on several occasions who initially said to claim it from home insurance and then said the damage to the power lines was caused by a third party so they are not liable. I w as wondering if anyone knows whether they are likely to be liable and whether there is an ombudsman that regulates them (I have googled but unsuccessfully!).
    Thank you
    Originally posted by powercuttroubles
    Having dealt with a similar situation for my late Mother, the key to getting the power provider to accept a claim (Western Power in my region) was to provide them with evidence that this was not an isolated incident. Power surges tend to affect a number of properties: if there have been other similar incidents then the burden of proof switches from the customer to the power provider. They are unlikely to respond to an isolated incident or accept liability for it.
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 4th Sep 17, 11:52 PM
    • 26,811 Posts
    • 12,994 Thanks
    Cardew
    • 4th Sep 17, 11:52 PM
    • 4th Sep 17, 11:52 PM
    Agree with the above, an isolated case is unlikely to succeed.
    • JC_Derby
    • By JC_Derby 7th Sep 17, 10:37 PM
    • 602 Posts
    • 199 Thanks
    JC_Derby
    • 7th Sep 17, 10:37 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 10:37 PM
    Hi all - Just posting for advice if anyone can help. Our area had a power cut last week. When power was restored our boiler no longer worked. We have had a tradesman and electrician out who have repaired it and feel the damage was caused by a "power surge". I am waiting for them to send an invoice with notes explaining specifically what damage was caused. I have called the national grid on several occasions who initially said to claim it from home insurance and then said the damage to the power lines was caused by a third party so they are not liable. I was wondering if anyone knows whether they are likely to be liable and whether there is an ombudsman that regulates them (I have googled but unsuccessfully!).
    Thank you
    Originally posted by powercuttroubles
    Seems to be an easy cop out response for tradesmen a lot of the time..
    National grid are not your local electrical distributor, It is that company you need to contact, feel free to post their name on here.
    Secondly when you do contact your Distributor, ask them for some details on the fault - what it was, an incident number o r reference number. DO tell them that your boiler wasn't working after the power came back on and ask them if you can claim off them.

What precisely did you google to not get an answer???
    My simple "who regulates electricity companies" bought up the answer correctly straight away.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

404Posts Today

3,528Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin