Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sacha28
    • By sacha28 4th Sep 17, 12:14 PM
    • 748Posts
    • 1,138Thanks
    sacha28
    Would you contact a potential employer?
    • 4th Sep 17, 12:14 PM
    Would you contact a potential employer? 4th Sep 17 at 12:14 PM
    My partner has applied for a job with a large national company. There have so far been 3 stages of application and a week ago he was emailed stating he had been successful in reaching the assessment benchmark and would hear 'shortly' an update regarding his application. At all other stages he has been contacted within 3 days so he is feeling a little nervous about this next stage as he hasn't heard anything.

The last communication from them provided a contact number for recruitment and he is considering giving them a call to see if there is any update. Would this be considered inappropriate? He doesn't want to put them off by appearing too eager but, at the same time, is keen to know if he has reached the next stage.

Would you phone, or leave it??
Page 1
    • mickeymouse303
    • By mickeymouse303 4th Sep 17, 2:51 PM
    • 154 Posts
    • 711 Thanks
    mickeymouse303
    • 4th Sep 17, 2:51 PM
    • 4th Sep 17, 2:51 PM
    If they've given you contact details I think it's fine to get in contact. I doubt that someone would be turned down for a job for seeming too eager!
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 4th Sep 17, 2:56 PM
    • 2,000 Posts
    • 2,919 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    • 4th Sep 17, 2:56 PM
    • 4th Sep 17, 2:56 PM
    I'd leave it another week or so if I were you: the person dealing with it could be on holiday or sick, as could the person or people who actually make the decision. Furthermore, the previous stages might be simple pass/fail type scenarios, whereas now they're actually having to choose between candidates, which takes also longer. Leave it until next Tuesday lunchtime, then get on the phone in the afternoon.
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 4th Sep 17, 3:04 PM
    • 5,873 Posts
    • 7,624 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    • 4th Sep 17, 3:04 PM
    • 4th Sep 17, 3:04 PM
    3 days is very quick to hear back.

I would leave it to the end of this week. A week is not very long for this sort of thing.

Obviously I don't know the nature of the application / assessment process but I would expect, as it goes higher, to be more about personal judgment of the employer and less about the basics of checking he meets the criteria, so there is more likelihood that the decision may involve discussions between members of the selection panel, comparing him with other applications (who may have been interviewed later).

I think after 10 days or so he can call and just as if they have an update about when he may hear back, without it coming across badly.
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 4th Sep 17, 11:56 PM
    • 4,100 Posts
    • 1,254 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    • 4th Sep 17, 11:56 PM
    • 4th Sep 17, 11:56 PM
    After a few days, there is no harm sending a polite chaser e-mail to the manager (or HR) asking for an update - try to sound keen but not desperate.

You'll find in an employment situation (with multiple roles) they'll contact the candidates they want most quickly to see if they accept and then second choice etc etc until they fill their quota. Only candidates that they completely rejected, will they tell immediately that they are unsuccessful.
    • ThemeOne
    • By ThemeOne 5th Sep 17, 7:40 AM
    • 1,108 Posts
    • 923 Thanks
    ThemeOne
    • 5th Sep 17, 7:40 AM
    • 5th Sep 17, 7:40 AM
    If it puts his mind at rest I can't see the harm in your partner calling to enquire what the timetable for this stage is expected to be.

Any of the reasons mentioned above could explain the delay - another explanation is simple inefficiency as recruiters sometimes don't or can't move fast enough to get the best candidates.
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 6th Sep 17, 12:00 PM
    • 1,171 Posts
    • 1,205 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    • 6th Sep 17, 12:00 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 12:00 PM
    Yes. I've done it a couple of times recently as 2 weeks had passed since the interviews despite both places telling me they would let me know within a few days. I'd give it a week then call.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

175Posts Today

1,342Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin