Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cotta
    • By Cotta 4th Sep 17, 12:09 PM
    • 2,502Posts
    • 987Thanks
    Cotta
    Repaying a Clarity Card
    • 4th Sep 17, 12:09 PM
    Repaying a Clarity Card 4th Sep 17 at 12:09 PM
    Hi All,

What is the repayment schedule for a Halifax Clarity card in order to avoid charges and interest?

For example if in October 1st 2017 I withdrew £100 from the account and on October 22nd 2017 I withdrew £50, when do these amounts need to be repaid in order to avoid all charges?

Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 4th Sep 17, 1:19 PM
    • 14,042 Posts
    • 14,728 Thanks
    zx81
    • 4th Sep 17, 1:19 PM
    • 4th Sep 17, 1:19 PM
    The amounts need to be paid by the due date shown the statement that each transaction appears on.

You'll only avoid interest on purchases. Cash will attract interest from the transaction date.
    • Cotta
    • By Cotta 4th Sep 17, 1:24 PM
    • 2,502 Posts
    • 987 Thanks
    Cotta
    • 4th Sep 17, 1:24 PM
    • 4th Sep 17, 1:24 PM
    The amounts need to be paid by the due date shown the statement that each transaction appears on.

You'll only avoid interest on purchases. Cash will attract interest from the transaction date.
    Originally posted by zx81
    So if something is paid for online etc this will avoid interest?
    • zx81
    • By zx81 4th Sep 17, 1:26 PM
    • 14,042 Posts
    • 14,728 Thanks
    zx81
    • 4th Sep 17, 1:26 PM
    • 4th Sep 17, 1:26 PM
    Yes, as long as it's not a cash transaction.
    • Nebulous2
    • By Nebulous2 4th Sep 17, 9:39 PM
    • 1,624 Posts
    • 985 Thanks
    Nebulous2
    • 4th Sep 17, 9:39 PM
    • 4th Sep 17, 9:39 PM
    So if something is paid for online etc this will avoid interest?
    Originally posted by Cotta
    That isn't what you were discussing earlier though. You need to be very careful mixing cash withdrawals and purchases.
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 5th Sep 17, 5:50 AM
    • 10,655 Posts
    • 6,959 Thanks
    bigadaj
    • 5th Sep 17, 5:50 AM
    • 5th Sep 17, 5:50 AM
    Hi All,

What is the repayment schedule for a Halifax Clarity card in order to avoid charges and interest?

For example if in October 1st 2017 I withdrew £100 from the account and on October 22nd 2017 I withdrew £50, when do these amounts need to be repaid in order to avoid all charges?

Thanks in advance
    If these are cash withdrawals, with no balance being carried, then you can pay the day after withdrawal with practically no interest.

If they are normal purchases then simply pay by the date required on teh statement.

If a combination then it's more fiddly, but doing the former will work though you lose the interest free period for the purchases.
    • Cotta
    • By Cotta 5th Sep 17, 9:42 AM
    • 2,502 Posts
    • 987 Thanks
    Cotta
    • 5th Sep 17, 9:42 AM
    • 5th Sep 17, 9:42 AM
    Ok I bought something for £50 on my Clarity card, I subsequently paid the £50 to my Clarity card within two days so the balance is at £0. However the £50 I spent on the item is being refunded to my card which will put the account at +£50, I assume there is no charge to withdraw this as cash?
    • chattychappy
    • By chattychappy 5th Sep 17, 9:49 AM
    • 6,393 Posts
    • 3,371 Thanks
    chattychappy
    • 5th Sep 17, 9:49 AM
    • 5th Sep 17, 9:49 AM
    Shouldn't be.

But I'm curious as to why you made a purchase and then paid it off two days later, only to get a refund subsequently....
    • Cotta
    • By Cotta 5th Sep 17, 10:02 AM
    • 2,502 Posts
    • 987 Thanks
    Cotta
    • 5th Sep 17, 10:02 AM
    • 5th Sep 17, 10:02 AM
    Shouldn't be.

But I'm curious as to why you made a purchase and then paid it off two days later, only to get a refund subsequently....
    Originally posted by chattychappy
    That was a scenario, I worded it poorly.
    • chattychappy
    • By chattychappy 6th Sep 17, 12:18 AM
    • 6,393 Posts
    • 3,371 Thanks
    chattychappy
    That was a scenario, I worded it poorly.
    I think one-off there's no problem. But if you were doing this repeatedly (in order to avoid breaking the T+Cs and whilst still avoiding the interest), I would expect some automated system to cough at some point.
    • dresdendave
    • By dresdendave 6th Sep 17, 10:47 AM
    • 656 Posts
    • 766 Thanks
    dresdendave
    Hi All,

Thanks in advance

Your examples are in £, so are you withdrawing cash in the UK?

If so just use your debit card to avoid interest, without jumping through all these hoops.

If you are abroad, withdraw cash, enjoy your holiday and settle the few pennies in interest you are charged upon your return without jeopardising the card's T&C's.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

103Posts Today

1,613Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin