Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • aMuseMe
    • By aMuseMe 4th Sep 17, 11:47 AM
    • 10Posts
    • 7Thanks
    aMuseMe
    Persimmon Greenbelt Management Charges on Freehold properties
    • 4th Sep 17, 11:47 AM
    Persimmon Greenbelt Management Charges on Freehold properties 4th Sep 17 at 11:47 AM
    Morning all - just wondered if anyone here had any experience of having purchased a Persimmon freehold property, only to have to pay an annual management charge to a company called Greenbelt.

We were given a heads up on the AMC which was supposed to only increase according to RPI - however the contracts seem to indicate that this might be only part of the charge, not all of it...
    Can anyone can clarify whether this is a leasehold by stealth from a legal perspective?

Have any of you experienced Greenbelt land management (for the communal spaces), and if so, what are the costs like? We know that the current management costs are being covered by Persimmon at £135+VAT per year at present and whilst they're still building - but after that, we can't seem to get a straight answer , so any experience would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • benevs
    • By benevs 4th Sep 17, 12:31 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    benevs
    • 4th Sep 17, 12:31 PM
    • 4th Sep 17, 12:31 PM
    Good question! I don't have the answer, but i'm currently buying a persimmon new build with estate management fees, so would like to know the answer to this.

On the estate i'm buying on they have set up a separate limited company which all the residents are directors of
    • aMuseMe
    • By aMuseMe 4th Sep 17, 12:37 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    aMuseMe
    • 4th Sep 17, 12:37 PM
    • 4th Sep 17, 12:37 PM
    Good question! I don't have the answer, but i'm currently buying a persimmon new build with estate management fees, so would like to know the answer to this.

On the estate i'm buying on they have set up a separate limited company which all the residents are directors of
    Originally posted by benevs
    That sounds a little more reassuring than our situation - at least you'll have some control over the work (and who does it/costs, etc.) - be interesting to see how they've dealt with this elsewhere too. Good luck with your house purchase
    • tim9966
    • By tim9966 4th Sep 17, 3:26 PM
    • 419 Posts
    • 173 Thanks
    tim9966
    • 4th Sep 17, 3:26 PM
    • 4th Sep 17, 3:26 PM
    We have Greenbelt on my Persimmon estate. I've only been here a few months but it's also £135 a year, and as far as I can see should only go up by inflation each year, so should be about £140 next year. I think the price is set on 1st October.

It seems to have been sub contracted out to a local garden company, but they have been out cutting grass and planting shrubs. There are at least 2 of their vans out today that I can see.
    • alex_163163
    • By alex_163163 4th Sep 17, 3:35 PM
    • 178 Posts
    • 106 Thanks
    alex_163163
    • 4th Sep 17, 3:35 PM
    • 4th Sep 17, 3:35 PM
    I can't say for certain but from everything I've read, the management company could put up the charges despite the RPI. Put it this way, if a company have spent more than what they originally budgeted for worthy year, they aren't going to lose money so likely that prices would be increased for the following year.

I was looking at a persimmon leasehold house earlier this year who used this company - I did some internet trawling and the reviews/ articles I found weren't very positive.

It's not ao much leasehold by stealth, but charging fees and having an external company do the maintainence is the only way the would have got planning permission to build, as councils don't want to adopt the open spaces and pay to maintain them themselves.
    • aMuseMe
    • By aMuseMe 4th Sep 17, 4:40 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    aMuseMe
    • 4th Sep 17, 4:40 PM
    • 4th Sep 17, 4:40 PM
    Thanks Alex and Tim - we rather suspected that if there is an excess spend (let's say a collapsed drain/road resurface) which wasn't budgeted for, the costs would be passed on to the freeholders or leaseholders and that any 'cap' dissolves the following year when the costs are then recalculated (as you suggested Tim).

I understand that part of the estate has been adopted under Section 38 of the Highways Act (the road we're on), but the other private roads/drains/sewers etc. are covered by the 'service charge' - I'm waiting to hear back from Persimmon for clarity on exactly what we would be liable for and what sort of cost might be reasonably expected, but not heard a word from them as yet... The uncertainty is making us very twitchy about the purchase, especially as we only plan to be there for two years or so.

Has anyone had any experience with Greenbelt specifically? I think we would be less twitchy if the management company was a local one, but these guys are based in Scotland.
    • aMuseMe
    • By aMuseMe 4th Sep 17, 4:46 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    aMuseMe
    • 4th Sep 17, 4:46 PM
    • 4th Sep 17, 4:46 PM
    Thank you

I was wondering how they coped with emergency issues (other than grounds maintenance) - have the roads on your estate been adopted under Section 38? Or are they all covered by the Greenbelt contract?
    • tim9966
    • By tim9966 5th Sep 17, 6:40 PM
    • 419 Posts
    • 173 Thanks
    tim9966
    • 5th Sep 17, 6:40 PM
    • 5th Sep 17, 6:40 PM
    As far as I know nothing has yet been adopted.

The only thing the council do is empty our household bins. All verges and park land is covered by Greenbelts sub contractors.

We haven't had any emergency issues yet. I'll also wait for see if the grit / salt the roads in the winter.
    • aMuseMe
    • By aMuseMe 6th Sep 17, 8:43 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    aMuseMe
    • 6th Sep 17, 8:43 AM
    • 6th Sep 17, 8:43 AM
    Thanks again Tim - we're under the impression that around half of the roads are adopted (including the one we're on), and although the fee (same as yours) will stay the same whilst Persimmon are still there - after that it's a bit of a lottery...

We're 80/20 on pulling out at the moment as we're only planning to have the house for just over two years, and thinking of the potential resale issues if the price of the AMC increases rapidly...

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you in the winter!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

356Posts Today

4,430Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin