Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sair1985
    • By sair1985 4th Sep 17, 11:36 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    sair1985
    HMRC - Self Employed CIS Allowable Expenses
    • 4th Sep 17, 11:36 AM
    HMRC - Self Employed CIS Allowable Expenses 4th Sep 17 at 11:36 AM
    Hi all,

Having trouble working out if daily travel expenses are allowable for my boyfriend. I have tried contacting HMRC and haven't had a clear response. So am even more confused!

He is self employed. Currently working on a project as a Labourer/Plumbers Mate in London, so is commuting daily. He has been at the project since Feb 2017 with a month of working somewhere else in May 2017 and looks likely he'll be there until the end of the tax year in 2018.

Will he be able to claim this? Anyone got any clear advice. I work within accounting so am not usually confused about his tax return, but this seems a bit unclear.

Thanks so much!
    Sarah
Page 1
    • dori2o
    • By dori2o 24th Sep 17, 7:11 AM
    • 7,364 Posts
    • 12,276 Thanks
    dori2o
    • 24th Sep 17, 7:11 AM
    • 24th Sep 17, 7:11 AM
    As a self employed person his travel expenses are allowable.
    To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best . . . insulting.
    • sair1985
    • By sair1985 8th Nov 17, 4:03 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    sair1985
    • 8th Nov 17, 4:03 PM
    • 8th Nov 17, 4:03 PM
    Thanks. As at April 2016 the rules seem to have changed. There is a difference between a commute and travel expenses.

I believe his daily costs are now commuting costs so aren't allowed. Just wondered if anyone has come across this yet.
    • chrismac1
    • By chrismac1 8th Nov 17, 4:37 PM
    • 2,469 Posts
    • 1,460 Thanks
    chrismac1
    • 8th Nov 17, 4:37 PM
    • 8th Nov 17, 4:37 PM
    Fully allowable. Thanks to the 2012 Olympics we got a few useful cases on this very issue, where the contractors won. In one case a pipe fitter was travelling from the Wirral each week and spending a lot on trains, digs and so on. HMRC had a go and lost, also lost the other main Olympics cases. I've not seen any more recent Tribunal cases, which either means HMRC have given them up as a bad job - Hooray! - or, not so good, taxpayers have chucked their hands in the muck before going to Tribunal.

So claim.
    Hideous Muddles from Right Charlies
    • sair1985
    • By sair1985 28th Nov 17, 2:42 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    sair1985
    • 28th Nov 17, 2:42 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 2:42 PM
    Thank you!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

225Posts Today

1,522Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin