Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • wannaberich41
    • By wannaberich41 4th Sep 17, 10:36 AM
    • 428Posts
    • 75Thanks
    wannaberich41
    DWP help after someone passes away.
    • 4th Sep 17, 10:36 AM
    DWP help after someone passes away. 4th Sep 17 at 10:36 AM
    Hi,
    I hope someone can help me on this please. Im asking on behalf of my mum.
    My dad passed away on 3rd July and when we registered his death a few days later we used the once service who advise government people of someone passing away.
    My mum received letter said from dwp advising her what her payments would and the last payment to her from my dad passing. Looking through her bank statements she hasn't received a penny since we noticed them of my dads passing.
    I've rang them today and they have advised 5 payments have been made to her and not been rejected and gone back to them. I asked if I told her the bank details it used to be paid into if she could check to see if paid to that account or not. She couldn't tell me or my mother any bank detail information what so ever but as far as she was concerned it had been paid and not rejected.
    Spoken to bank and they can see all payments going in fine up to the 30 th June. But not after. They have asked to ask dwp what bank acc no they paid into or they bank acc details it was paid from. Told bank they wouldn't give me that information. It seems we've come to a stale mate.
    What can we do please to see where this money has gone?
    Thank you in advance.
    Things will get better day by day.
Page 1
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 4th Sep 17, 12:08 PM
    • 22,868 Posts
    • 13,228 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 4th Sep 17, 12:08 PM
    • 4th Sep 17, 12:08 PM
    How old is your mother?

How old was your father when he died?

Was your mother in receipt of her own state pension when your father died? If so, have payments continued? Have the payments increased?

Into which bank account did your father's pension used to be paid?

Has this account been closed?
    • Mee
    • By Mee 4th Sep 17, 12:35 PM
    • 912 Posts
    • 908 Thanks
    Mee
    • 4th Sep 17, 12:35 PM
    • 4th Sep 17, 12:35 PM
    My sympathies.

At this time it can be difficult to think clearly so xylophone's questions are very helpful.

Banks and the DWP have clear procedures on what help and advice they can offer regarding bereavement so you may wish to check this as well as the MSE page.

I find letters work better than sometimes costly 'phone calls.

Best wishes
    • anmarj
    • By anmarj 4th Sep 17, 1:23 PM
    • 1,591 Posts
    • 1,250 Thanks
    anmarj
    • 4th Sep 17, 1:23 PM
    • 4th Sep 17, 1:23 PM
    If the bank are adamant that they dont have payment, ring DWP and ask them to send missing payment forms for each of the payments, this shows the account details, the bank would have to sign to confirm thry dont have the payments. But make sure your mum does not have several accounts and if she does, check them all before phone for the forms.
    mummy to one

"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing"
    • anmarj
    • By anmarj 4th Sep 17, 1:27 PM
    • 1,591 Posts
    • 1,250 Thanks
    anmarj
    • 4th Sep 17, 1:27 PM
    • 4th Sep 17, 1:27 PM
    That is as long as her payments are going to a bank account and not a post office account.
    mummy to one

"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing"
    • wannaberich41
    • By wannaberich41 12th Sep 17, 1:01 PM
    • 428 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    wannaberich41
    • 12th Sep 17, 1:01 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 1:01 PM
    I would like to thank you all and payments have been found.
    Phew!
    Things will get better day by day.
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 12th Sep 17, 1:34 PM
    • 22,868 Posts
    • 13,228 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 12th Sep 17, 1:34 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 1:34 PM
    payments have been found.
    Where? Don't leave us in suspense!
    • Mee
    • By Mee 13th Sep 17, 11:55 AM
    • 912 Posts
    • 908 Thanks
    Mee
    • 13th Sep 17, 11:55 AM
    Tell us more
    • 13th Sep 17, 11:55 AM
    Yes, I want to know what happened.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,817Posts Today

8,177Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin