Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 4th Sep 17, 8:16 AM
    • 1,590Posts
    • 7,561Thanks
    kathrynha
    Get Spooking & Slimming for Halloween - Slimming World support thread 2017
    • 4th Sep 17, 8:16 AM
    Get Spooking & Slimming for Halloween - Slimming World support thread 2017 4th Sep 17 at 8:16 AM
    Shiny new thread, with all the info carried over as follows:-

Slimming World and Food Optimising is a plan for life, it's not a quick fix and you should look at weight losses over a period of time. There are no prizes for speed of weight loss.

You need to commit to making changes to the food that you buy and how you cook it, because what you've been doing in the past hasn't got you to where you want to be.

You can't use parts of the plan that suit you and forget the rest.

If you are not prepared to make a commitment to change the behaviour that has got you into your current situation then nothing is going to change, and above all things, you need to be honest and accountable for every single mouthful of food that passes your lips.

You need to care enough to take time out to pre-plan your slimming campaign. Look again at the menu plans and see the variety and volume of food you can eat. All you have to lose is the weight.

Slimming World has been successfully helping people lose weight for over forty years, so trust them and read your Food Optimising books again and again.

Food Optimising is easy but life isn't. Losing weight is a battle but you have the battle plan in your food optimising book, your secret weapon is free food, and that, together with your healthy extras and syns add up to a healthy way of eating that can (and should) be a life plan. Success is there waiting for you………go for it!

If you fancy having a go at EE, here are the official 'rules' to ensure that you not only lose weight regularly but get all the nutrition your body needs to function well:-

Extra Easy:

1: Choose your Free Food

Most of the food you eat should come from the free foods list – so that’s pasta, rice, potatoes, lean meat, poultry, fish, fruit and vegetables.

And for super-fast, super healthy results, fill one third of your plate with Speed Foods!

2: Choose your Healthy Extras

Each day select one Healthy Extra ‘a’ choice and one Healthy Extra ‘b’ choice from our simplified list of calcium and fibre-filled foods, including milk, cheese, bread, nuts and cereal.

3: Enjoy 5-15 Syns each day

-------------------------------------------------------------

If you find your weight loss has slowed down or stopped, check:-

1. Whether everything you're counting as Free, is Free

2. Whether you're under-estimating Syn values (over-estimate if guessing)

3. Whether you're counting everything that should be counted

4. Whether you're measuring everything that should be measured

5. Whether you're sabotaging your success in any other way (using SAS logs will help uncover individual long-term self-sabotage patterns) and, if none of these is the culprit, either...........

A: increase the proportion of Speed Foods to half of your plate
    B: switch to more Speed Foods

or

C: try Extra Easy SP - details are on this link - https://www.minimins.com/threads/extra-easy-sp-plan.348340/

And above all, if you follow the plan, any plan, 100% you will lose weight!

Remember we are all here to support each other, and to have fun, and to share in any little disappointments.

Link to the List of Healthy Extras as at April 14

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...postcount=4853

List of Speed foods here - Fruits & Vegetables

We have a Facebook group open to anyone joining us on this thread; to join please mention it in your post or drop Lushlifesaver a PM and an existing member can send you an invite
    Weight loss start date: 3rd January 2017
    Weight loss total: 58 lb
    Last updated: 12th September 2017
Page 6
    • greentiger
    • By greentiger 7th Sep 17, 10:06 PM
    • 1,950 Posts
    • 14,100 Thanks
    greentiger
    Well done, Mrs_R, beanie and haras.

Hi, rachie_cakes and Doodlebug5, pleased to meet you.

It’s great that you’re getting back on track (sorry about that, couldn’t resist) with your running, Tete.
    Stashbusting 141/200
    17 in 17 Challenge 14/17
    Reading Challenge 19/40
    Film Challenge 30/52
    • MissTeach
    • By MissTeach 7th Sep 17, 10:17 PM
    • 190 Posts
    • 646 Thanks
    MissTeach
    Thanks guys! Probably not the best week to declare I want a big loss as I'm out a couple of times but I'll stick to it around those 2 meals.

I was out for dinner tonight and enjoyed my hoisin pork noodles and chocolate freakshake for pudding. I won't be beating myself up anymore. I stuck to plan 100% for the past few weeks and losses were slow and I was miserable as I felt like I was turning down going out just so I could be on plan. I'd rather take it slow and steady from now on with the occassional treat and not be miserable because I keep turning things down. I'm out again for a colleagues leaving do tomorrow night, debating driving so I can't drink and it won't then cost me a fortune but I dunno if I'll then be grumpy if everyone else is !!!!ed and I'm not!
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 8th Sep 17, 7:00 AM
    • 1,590 Posts
    • 7,561 Thanks
    kathrynha
    Welcome Doodlebug. I've added you to the spreadsheet. Our week goes from Tuesday morning to Monday evening, so if that weigh in is since Tuesday, then yes that is in this challenge, and wow what a brilliant way to start the challenge.

Also well done to Haras and Beanielou on your losses, and hugs to Bubbs on your gain. Don't let it upset you too much, it's only little and can easily be hormones.
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 8th Sep 17, 7:10 AM
    • 1,590 Posts
    • 7,561 Thanks
    kathrynha
    Today's plan for me:
    Breakfast - toast
    Mid-morning - blood
    Lunch - Naked noodles (will want something quick and easy)
    Dinner - stir fry
    Snacks - fruit, ginger sweets

HA - milk
    HB - bread
    Syns - ginger sweets, butter and jam on toast
    • Merlin139
    • By Merlin139 8th Sep 17, 7:15 AM
    • 4,266 Posts
    • 17,955 Thanks
    Merlin139
    kathrynha, Thanks for the new thread.

HARAS, Welcome to the thread. I have only been here about 6 weeks but its a great help.

Mrs_Ryan If your consultant is saying you need exercise then she is not doing her job properly. You do not need to exercise. If you follow the plan correctly you will lose weight. I would be in a mind to ring up head office and quote what she has said to you! I was told years ago that 1lb is 3500 calories. I can use that in 4 hours on my exercise bike.

I did some tests when I cameback from the Gulf in 2003 at the Navy hospital at Hasler. Was weighted before I spent 2 hours exercising on a treadmill in a 30 degree heat in a controlled environment. Temp sensors everywhere and heart monitor. They were trying see if my body could thermoregulate properly. In test they noted what fluid intake I had. At the end of the test I had lost just short of 10 lbs net though sweating! Very dehydrated. Even though I had drank nearly 3 litres.

rachie_cakes Welcome and a great 1st loss.

What TV programme are you referring too?

Doodlebug5 Welcome to the group.

Some great loses on the last challenge.

8 week challenge I will go for 14 lbs please.
    Last edited by Merlin139; 08-09-2017 at 7:33 AM.
    • Merlin139
    • By Merlin139 8th Sep 17, 7:55 AM
    • 4,266 Posts
    • 17,955 Thanks
    Merlin139
    Been another busy week again. Have enjoyed catching up again but am going to make a point of getting on here eachday to read.

Hazel went to see her dad at the weekend an I have been down south since Tuesday seeing my dad. Hazels dad has lost the sight in his right eye due to the stroke and will not get it back. Had to laugh when Hazel was saying he was bumping into things. I know I should not but I think its the dark squaddie humour in me.

WI last night. Another 3.5 lbs loss for me. Hazel 0.5 lbs. She had been dreading it as it was her birthday on Monday and we went out and drank too much when we got back. Btl of wine and 2 btl's of Champagne. It was still a loss and its has been everyweek since she started 16 weeks ago. I got my 1.5 stone award.

I have joined the social team. 2 reasons for this. 1 to help and secondly attended a presentation on Sunday morning about becoming a consultant. Looking at about 6 months away so all aspects of the social team will be a help.

At the presentation when I walked in I thought, what am I doing I am the wrong sex! But after to speaking to people there made to feel very welcome. As I have been told SW want more male consultants. All in all a well spent 3 hours. A long way to go in my SW journey first.
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 8th Sep 17, 8:06 AM
    • 1,590 Posts
    • 7,561 Thanks
    kathrynha
    Good loss Merlin.

Great about becoming a consultant. Men have weight issues as muchildren as females, yet the few men in my group rarely stay to group as it must be so difficult for them in a group of females.
    • Abbafan1972
    • By Abbafan1972 8th Sep 17, 8:50 AM
    • 5,091 Posts
    • 168,586 Thanks
    Abbafan1972
    Abbafan~~why dont you try fortnightly?
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Hi, thanks for your reply.

I am covering the weigh in tomorrow morning and it's a covering consultant, so it will be different scales. This does tend to make a difference I think and it will be disheartening if the scales are not in my favour. So I've decided not to weigh in tomorrow and leave it until next week.

I have stayed on plan this week, as I know it's easy to slip off when you know you're not weighing in for a while!

I have been on this week as well - so hopefully by next week my body will be back to normal!

Take care all. x

ETA:- Well done Merlin! I help out on the social team - I've been shown how to do the weigh in, shop and the pay desk. It's useful to know as then I can just step in when we have people away. It's good to know what goes on behind the scenes. I have researched being a consultant, but I believe there's lots of pitfalls as it's like being self employed. Plus the fact I don't drive, so it's a no-go for me anyway!

What TV programme were you all watching earlier on in the thread?
    Last edited by Abbafan1972; 08-09-2017 at 9:06 AM.
    Weight on 01/08/15 - 17st 5lb
    Target weight - 10st
    Target reached - 20/05/17

Greatest Loser for SW group 2016 & 2017
    Woman of the year for SW group 2016 & 2017
    • Tete en l'Air
    • By Tete en l'Air 8th Sep 17, 9:13 AM
    • 6,802 Posts
    • 30,978 Thanks
    Tete en l'Air
    Morning all - 3lb loss this week for me, not a bad start, I'd like to be under 13st next week if possible.

Well done to all with losses, and Bubbs I'm sure that half pound will come straight off and take some friends with it!

Good luck with your ambitions to be a consultant Merlin, it's such a female dominated industry, more male leaders can only be a good thing.

B - WM toast with butter (3)
    D - SW full English: Bacon, egg, potato, mushrooms and tomatoes
    T - Diet cola chicken from freezer with noodles (almost like a takeaway!)
    HEA - Milk
    HEB - WM toast
    Syns - Sugar (4), butter (3), Pom Bears (4) and maybe a Wispa or something since it's Friday (11?) = 22+

Need to do a meal plan and shopping list for tomorrow onwards though because the cupboards are bare.

Augh, just realised I'll have to weigh in a day early next week as I'm off to London on Thursday aft. Right! Got my focused hat on!
    Lose 20lbs by 2018 (3/20)
    Currently reading: Piglettes (32/30 in 2017)
    September Grocery Challenge: £36.73/£250; NSDs: 1/15
    My 'Life Begins at 35' diary *click*
    • Sunshinemummy
    • By Sunshinemummy 8th Sep 17, 9:34 AM
    • 15,048 Posts
    • 182,859 Thanks
    Sunshinemummy
    Dont have them not had for over 2 yrs
    Originally posted by bubbs
    Lucky you!

What TV programme were you all watching earlier on in the thread?
    Originally posted by Abbafan1972
    Not sure what it was called but it was comparing different diets... after it I also watch a programme about loose skin after loosing a lot of weight.... I was tempted to have chocolate!
    Accumulative cost of having adult child in 2017.
    January - One day off work for OH to take him to an exam as car broken - 40 mile round journey. Different car £450.
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 8th Sep 17, 10:05 AM
    • 2,762 Posts
    • 6,177 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime

Not sure what it was called but it was comparing different diets... after it I also watch a programme about loose skin after loosing a lot of weight.... I was tempted to have chocolate!
    Originally posted by Sunshinemummy

Morning

It was called something like Lose weight save pounds.

Still reckon the concept was flawed & a friend of mine who lost a lot of weight using a meal replacement plan ( & was, by her admission, down right anti-social because of what she could - or more like not eat - on the plan) said that once she stopped, the weight crept back on.

MissTeach - that's exactly my approach - I'm off out this afternoon to an event that one of our clients has organised so I've decided to be the designated driver....good excuse not to drink.

I will reach my target this challenge!
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - the Argos Card!
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 8th Sep 17, 10:09 AM
    • 4,638 Posts
    • 34,384 Thanks
    joedenise
    Abbafan the programme was called Save Money - Lose Weight. It was on ITV and is available on the ITV Hub for a few more days. It's also On Demand if you have that on your TV. Although SW didn't head the list £ for lb it was the top one for a sustainable diet.

Today's plan:

B - boiled egg; 1 slice of bread & spread -0.5 HEB + 0.5
    L - carrot & lentil soup; 1 slice of bread & spread - 0.5 HEB + 0.5
    D - Hairy Bikers braised steak & onions (with extra veg); mash; may also have another veg on the side depending on how much I put in the casserole in the first place!

HEA - milk
    HEB - bread
    Syns - VLF spread 1; not sure what else but maybe crumpet & butter -5.5

Denise
    • Abbafan1972
    • By Abbafan1972 8th Sep 17, 11:03 AM
    • 5,091 Posts
    • 168,586 Thanks
    Abbafan1972
    Thank you Joedenise - I will get the show on catch up.
    Weight on 01/08/15 - 17st 5lb
    Target weight - 10st
    Target reached - 20/05/17

Greatest Loser for SW group 2016 & 2017
    Woman of the year for SW group 2016 & 2017
    • esmy
    • By esmy 8th Sep 17, 12:48 PM
    • 780 Posts
    • 2,262 Thanks
    esmy
    Afternoon all.

Welcome newbies, well done all losers and commiserations to the gainers. Merlin go for becoming a consultant! I'm sure as a man you'd be welcomed with open arms. We had a number of men when I went to group, all of whom did very well as I recall but I'm sure a male consultant would encourage more.

1lb off for me this week - slowly creeping towards target! I always seem to slow down when I'm approaching a stone barrier even when I don't do anything different - anyone else find this?
    • Mrs_Ryan
    • By Mrs_Ryan 8th Sep 17, 1:27 PM
    • 10,214 Posts
    • 18,431 Thanks
    Mrs_Ryan
    Hi all
    Sorry I didn't post yesterday. 100% on plan but just not in a very good place at the moment.
    Merlin- she didn't say it directly at me just in a conversation in group. I did post on the Facebook page for my group that I do very little exercise and I've had my best losses yet- she liked it on Facebook so I think she got the message!
    Yesterday's food:
    B- Overnight Oats (HEXB) decaf coffee with HEXA S/S
    L: McDonalds grilled chicken and bacon salad (1.5) water, a few chunks of melon
    T: SW sausage roll with WW wrap (5.5 syns) carrot and swede, water. Fab lolly (4 syns) water
    S: 3 Broghies (3 syns) with SW potato salad, ham and smoked salmon. Decaf tea with HEXA s/s
    Syns: 14

Today's food:
    B: HEXB 2 x HiFi bars, Apple, peach, Light and free yoghurt, decaf coffee with HEXA s/S
    L: Nando's butterfly chicken, medium spicy rice (5 syns) large salad, water, melon
    T: Subway salad (1.5 syns for dressing)
    Snack at rugby: popcorn (4 syns) drink of some description
    Supper: John West tuna light lunch (1 syn)
    Syns: 11.5

Sorry everyone- normal service will be resumed soon I promise. Love to you all xx
    Very proud to be Open University BA (Hons) English Lang and Lit Graduate! ❤️DMU MA English begins 09/17
    WFC and pleased to be sponsor for the 2nd season ❤️ 🐝
    Will always miss you Elle and will never forget you, brightest star in the sky 😢
    • dawyldthing
    • By dawyldthing 8th Sep 17, 2:27 PM
    • 2,548 Posts
    • 1,756 Thanks
    dawyldthing
    Evening all
    Had a busy day today. I know things are getting bad when I burst into tears in Asda when I got there just too late for the last packet of WW wraps Stress and exhaustion getting to me. Good news though is that yesterday's SP day has cured the bloating and took 3.5lbs with it- grrrr if I had weighed on my normal WI day that would have been a mega loss however I need the lie in more
    Today's food:
    B: Boiled eggs and asparagus. Peppermint tea
    L: Tuna pasta salad with 2 x tbsps LTL mayo (1 syn) HEXB 2 x HiFi bars, decaf coffee with HEXA S/S
    T: 4 sausages (4 syns) wedges, onions, mushrooms, broccoli, carrots, cauliflower (1 syn for the oil I used on the wedges) Fab lolly (4 syns) water
    S: 3 Broghies (3 syns) with smoked salmon, ham and gherkins, decaf tea with HEXA
    Syns: 13
    Steps: 11265
    Thanks for everyone's opinions on the exercise question. Nice to know that I'm not alone in my thoughts about exercise!
    Night all xx
    Originally posted by Mrs_Ryan
    I can't remember if it was you or someone else but in Sutton in Ashfield Asda they had loads on bulk isle at the end but not in the middle at all
    My targets to end 2018:
    1) To get down to 11 stone 7lbs then treat to a safari. At start 17 stone 7 lbs 37 lost 47lbs to go.
    Started SW16st13lbs 11/7/17 - 11 weeks in -29lbs
    3/9 to NYE 3lbs down / 12lbs to go
    2) to find new challenges
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 8th Sep 17, 3:52 PM
    • 1,590 Posts
    • 7,561 Thanks
    kathrynha
    Well done Tete and Esmy on your losses.

Not been a bad day for me today. Managed to resist the biscuits at the hospital, and feeling better now I have some iron in my blood again. Just a rather bruised arm, but at least I have some energy now
    • maman
    • By maman 8th Sep 17, 5:04 PM
    • 16,660 Posts
    • 99,526 Thanks
    maman
    Back from my mini break in Stratford upon Avon. We had a great time and I did make some good SW choices. Also when I did choose syns I enjoyed them so win/win.

I can thoroughly recommend the Premier Inn Waterways. Aside from being clean and comfortable with very cheap parking, breakfast was a SW dream! They had Weetabix, FF yogurt, loads of fresh fruit and then the buffet of hot food. I skipped bread to keep my HEB for sandwiches at lunchtime and had a single hash brown with bacon, beans, mushrooms and fried eggs after a big bowl of fruit. So other than the hash brown and any oil it was all free. Alcohol consumption was minimal too as my friends aren't big drinkers.

I have only skimmed through this week's posts so forgive me if I've missed important news.

I did read the bit about the weightloss TV programme. As far as I'm concerned, people can spend what they like on food as long as they can afford it. That's personal choice. What I would say though is that unless someone is very poor indeed (like food banks or the cheapest of ready meals and few cooking facilities) then rejecting SW as expensive is nonsense and just an excuse IMO. I'm in the fortunate position that I am mse because I choose to be and hate being ripped off but I can feed us both well on about £50 a week with us both eating SW and DH having treats on top. The fact that I choose to eat out a lot and spend additional money on booze is up to me but that's my personal choice. It's not essential for SW.

Back on plan today. I've done my meal plan and shop for the week. Most of the time will be OK although it's DH's birthday on Wednesday so will probably eat out then (night before WI). Today's meals are a bit chilli heavy but was the quickest way to get some Speed in at lunchtime and I like it anyway.

Today's EE plan:
    B: NAS grapefruit, 2 boiled eggs, HEB toast, HEA milk for drinks
    L: JP with veggie chilli and cottage cheese
    D: marrow, chunky chilli, extra Speed (mushrooms etc.), SW chips
    Syns: gin
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 8th Sep 17, 5:16 PM
    • 1,590 Posts
    • 7,561 Thanks
    kathrynha
    Glad you had a good few days away Maman, and well done on making good SW friendly choices when you could, and enjoying your syns
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 8th Sep 17, 6:32 PM
    • 47,250 Posts
    • 169,883 Thanks
    beanielou
    Merlin~~ I think it is quite expensive to become a SW consultant.
    Did you get that impression?
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,739Posts Today

8,746Users online

Martin's Twitter