Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 4th Sep 17, 8:16 AM
    • 1,651Posts
    • 8,031Thanks
    kathrynha
    Get Spooking & Slimming for Halloween - Slimming World support thread 2017
    • 4th Sep 17, 8:16 AM
    Get Spooking & Slimming for Halloween - Slimming World support thread 2017 4th Sep 17 at 8:16 AM
    Shiny new thread, with all the info carried over as follows:-

Slimming World and Food Optimising is a plan for life, it's not a quick fix and you should look at weight losses over a period of time. There are no prizes for speed of weight loss.

You need to commit to making changes to the food that you buy and how you cook it, because what you've been doing in the past hasn't got you to where you want to be.

You can't use parts of the plan that suit you and forget the rest.

If you are not prepared to make a commitment to change the behaviour that has got you into your current situation then nothing is going to change, and above all things, you need to be honest and accountable for every single mouthful of food that passes your lips.

You need to care enough to take time out to pre-plan your slimming campaign. Look again at the menu plans and see the variety and volume of food you can eat. All you have to lose is the weight.

Slimming World has been successfully helping people lose weight for over forty years, so trust them and read your Food Optimising books again and again.

Food Optimising is easy but life isn't. Losing weight is a battle but you have the battle plan in your food optimising book, your secret weapon is free food, and that, together with your healthy extras and syns add up to a healthy way of eating that can (and should) be a life plan. Success is there waiting for you………go for it!

If you fancy having a go at EE, here are the official 'rules' to ensure that you not only lose weight regularly but get all the nutrition your body needs to function well:-

Extra Easy:

1: Choose your Free Food

Most of the food you eat should come from the free foods list – so that’s pasta, rice, potatoes, lean meat, poultry, fish, fruit and vegetables.

And for super-fast, super healthy results, fill one third of your plate with Speed Foods!

2: Choose your Healthy Extras

Each day select one Healthy Extra ‘a’ choice and one Healthy Extra ‘b’ choice from our simplified list of calcium and fibre-filled foods, including milk, cheese, bread, nuts and cereal.

3: Enjoy 5-15 Syns each day

-------------------------------------------------------------

If you find your weight loss has slowed down or stopped, check:-

1. Whether everything you're counting as Free, is Free

2. Whether you're under-estimating Syn values (over-estimate if guessing)

3. Whether you're counting everything that should be counted

4. Whether you're measuring everything that should be measured

5. Whether you're sabotaging your success in any other way (using SAS logs will help uncover individual long-term self-sabotage patterns) and, if none of these is the culprit, either...........

A: increase the proportion of Speed Foods to half of your plate
    B: switch to more Speed Foods

or

C: try Extra Easy SP - details are on this link - https://www.minimins.com/threads/extra-easy-sp-plan.348340/

And above all, if you follow the plan, any plan, 100% you will lose weight!

Remember we are all here to support each other, and to have fun, and to share in any little disappointments.

Link to the List of Healthy Extras as at April 14

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...postcount=4853

List of Speed foods here - Fruits & Vegetables

We have a Facebook group open to anyone joining us on this thread; to join please mention it in your post or drop Lushlifesaver a PM and an existing member can send you an invite
    Weight loss start date: 3rd January 2017
    Weight loss total: 58 lb
    Last updated: 12th September 2017
Page 48
    • maman
    • By maman 6th Oct 17, 8:32 PM
    • 16,882 Posts
    • 100,893 Thanks
    maman
    That's a great loss orlao . I'm hoping for a good one next week.

No way could Maman resist gin
    Originally posted by kathrynha
    You forget, ladies, that I'm only having gin to get back to target. Wine is usually my preferred way of using syns. It's my own weekend plan based on a G&T being 3 syns but a glass of wine being 10!
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 6th Oct 17, 8:41 PM
    • 47,867 Posts
    • 173,919 Thanks
    beanielou
    Raspberry gin all the way
    I got wine for my birthday that has not even be opened
    No contest really syn wise!
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 6th Oct 17, 8:45 PM
    • 1,651 Posts
    • 8,031 Thanks
    kathrynha
    You forget, ladies, that I'm only having gin to get back to target. Wine is usually my preferred way of using syns. It's my own weekend plan based on a G&T being 3 syns but a glass of wine being 10!
    Originally posted by maman
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 6th Oct 17, 8:53 PM
    • 47,867 Posts
    • 173,919 Thanks
    beanielou
    Love it..

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 6th Oct 17, 8:58 PM
    • 1,651 Posts
    • 8,031 Thanks
    kathrynha
    Love it..
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Having never met Maman in person, it's what I reckon she looks like
    • Sunshinemummy
    • By Sunshinemummy 6th Oct 17, 9:08 PM
    • 15,169 Posts
    • 183,711 Thanks
    Sunshinemummy

How did you get a photograph of maman
    Accumulative cost of having adult child in 2017.
    January - One day off work for OH to take him to an exam as car broken - 40 mile round journey. Different car £450.
    • maman
    • By maman 6th Oct 17, 9:23 PM
    • 16,882 Posts
    • 100,893 Thanks
    maman
    Having never met Maman in person, it's what I reckon she looks like
    Love it..
    Originally posted by beanielou
    What a cheek!

My face is NOT fat and round!! I do SW!
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 6th Oct 17, 9:29 PM
    • 47,867 Posts
    • 173,919 Thanks
    beanielou
    We love you maman

• gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 6th Oct 17, 10:19 PM
    • 2,875 Posts
    • 6,517 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    Well done Orlao......what is everybody doing this week??

Kathrynha hope you're feeling a little better now -I used to get terribly heavy periods - doctor gave me some tablets to take when things got really bad & then Sod's law kicked in & haven't had a solitary one in ages - don't think I can be classed as menopausal yet but well on my way !
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - the Argos Card!
    • Whiplashy
    • By Whiplashy 6th Oct 17, 10:54 PM
    • 132 Posts
    • 1,330 Thanks
    Whiplashy
    bubbs I'm off to Lanzarote Monday with mum and one of her friends. Haven't been away for 4/5 years so really looking forward to it. Where are you going? Hope your back is a bit better tomorrow. I suffer with back pain. Got some lidocain patches on prescription. I find them excellent. Definitely going to pack some.

maman too late. Scoffed the lot Tomorrow's a new day. Going to try SP tomorrow and Sunday, and again when I come back up until WI.

kathrynha hope all went well for you today

beanie I think it was yesterday SW announced they're getting legal advice about Aldi. No one saw that coming I have a couple of the meals in the freezer to try. Figured I better get them before they disappear!

Orlao fantastic loss Congratulations

I don't have to worry about periods anymore. When I lived in the Middle East a pharmacist recommended going on the pill and running the boxes together. I do find it rather amusing that you can get the pill over the counter in some Middle Eastern countries, considering there sex laws Since I've come back I buy a 6 month prescription on the internet, because my GP was having none of it Usually only have a light period once or twice a year when I forget to take the pills for a few days. Mine were so bad I used to be afraid to leave the house, and I'd have to set multiple alarms to wake me during the night. Much easier this way!
    • Mrs_Ryan
    • By Mrs_Ryan 6th Oct 17, 11:57 PM
    • 10,252 Posts
    • 18,686 Thanks
    Mrs_Ryan
    Hiya all
    I started writing a post last night, got to the end and lost it all Apologies for being quiet but I’m still lurking 5 weeks and 6 days until my graduation! I bought a very bargainous new wig yesterday for my graduation- had been £250 reduced to £69 and because of my alopecia I got the VAT knocked off so paid £57! It’s gorgeous- a collar length chocolate brown choppy cut.
    Been to Birmingham with OH today- went to the James Arthur book signing. Oh blimey I adore that man- I was gazing at him in utter rapture and awe as OH stood behind me as he was pushing my wheelchair thankfully he didn’t notice I also bought an outfit from River Island- size 20 jeans and long sleeve top, and a size 22 shirt. I also got a size 20 shirt from Yours as the cut of Yours clothes is that bit more generous. Both have plenty of room in them which is great- previously I probably would have been looking at about a size 26 in a shirt so to get into a 20 feels pretty good!
    Today’s menu:
    B: HEXB Quaker Super Goodness porridge with HEXA choc soya drink, strawberries, peppermint tea
    L: Ham and egg salad, veggie sushi (1/2 syn) water
    T: Nando’s plain chicken butterfly, large salad and large spicy rice (7.5 in total) water
    S: Sunbites salted popcorn (4) 3 Broghies with garlic and herb chicken (4) peppermint tea
    Syns: 16
    Ps I don’t miss my lady cycle either
    Night all xx
    Very proud to be Open University BA (Hons) English Lang and Lit Graduate! ❤️DMU MA English begins 09/17
    WFC and pleased to be sponsor for the 2nd season ❤️ 🐝
    Will always miss you Elle and will never forget you, brightest star in the sky 😢
    • Sunshinemummy
    • By Sunshinemummy 7th Oct 17, 8:54 AM
    • 15,169 Posts
    • 183,711 Thanks
    Sunshinemummy
    I forgot to get weighed last week.... so for 2 weeks i have lost 6lbs....bubbs i am catching you up.....lol x
    Accumulative cost of having adult child in 2017.
    January - One day off work for OH to take him to an exam as car broken - 40 mile round journey. Different car £450.
    • tweets
    • By tweets 7th Oct 17, 8:56 AM
    • 28,740 Posts
    • 411,243 Thanks
    tweets
    Good Morning

Must join in on the lady cycle

I started having awful ones years ago very heavy one month hardly anything month after. Doc put me on HRT

No more periods

Doc retired couple year ago

New docs husband wife team I have seen both me no like

So used to fax for repeat prescription

They sent prescription to Tesco chemist

Couple times was told needed mot ignored til I decided to go August . Saw lady doc and she said she wasn't prescribing me HRT anymore I had 2 packs left .

She started rambling on about breast cancer and something else taking long term.

I looked online and it said you don't stop taking

Good job I looked so I took one every other day

They all gone now so I am wondering if I put on weight , do periods come back , do I get hot sweats which I have never got. Want none of these thank you
    Lost 3st-1.5lb
    • Whiplashy
    • By Whiplashy 7th Oct 17, 9:29 AM
    • 132 Posts
    • 1,330 Thanks
    Whiplashy
    Well done Eunshinemummy

Doing SP today, but have a couple of questions. Can I have a yogurt that has syns in it? Do I have to have 2 HEB? I don't really fancy bread and I have no cereal in the house.
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 7th Oct 17, 10:29 AM
    • 1,651 Posts
    • 8,031 Thanks
    kathrynha
    Kathrynha hope you're feeling a little better now -I used to get terribly heavy periods - doctor gave me some tablets to take when things got really bad & then Sod's law kicked in & haven't had a solitary one in ages - don't think I can be classed as menopausal yet but well on my way !
    Originally posted by gettingtheresometime
    kathrynha hope all went well for you today
    I don't have to worry about periods anymore. When I lived in the Middle East a pharmacist recommended going on the pill and running the boxes together. I do find it rather amusing that you can get the pill over the counter in some Middle Eastern countries, considering there sex laws Since I've come back I buy a 6 month prescription on the internet, because my GP was having none of it Usually only have a light period once or twice a year when I forget to take the pills for a few days. Mine were so bad I used to be afraid to leave the house, and I'd have to set multiple alarms to wake me during the night. Much easier this way!
    Originally posted by Whiplashy
    Mine are sometimes worse than others. I am on drugs to control them, and it does improve it, but my other drugs are making it less effective, and this month is a very bad month. Yesterday I only went to the hospital and would not of left the house if I hadn't had to. Today is even worse

The pill just mucks my body up. Even on versions that you aren't supposed to bleed with, I bleed, and all the time too, though not stupidly heavy.

They do plan to sort stuff out down there for me, but it isn't a priority at the moment, and sods law I will hit menopause by the time they get round to it.

I forgot to get weighed last week.... so for 2 weeks i have lost 6lbs....bubbs i am catching you up.....lol x
    Originally posted by Sunshinemummy
    Wow, amazing loss. Well done
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 7th Oct 17, 10:31 AM
    • 1,651 Posts
    • 8,031 Thanks
    kathrynha
    Today's 'plan':
    Probably just toast
    • maman
    • By maman 7th Oct 17, 12:02 PM
    • 16,882 Posts
    • 100,893 Thanks
    maman

Have a good holiday bubbs.

I forgot to get weighed last week.... so for 2 weeks I have lost 6lbs....bubbs i am catching you up.....lol x
    Originally posted by Sunshinemummy

That's brilliant. Well done SSM!

Doing SP today, but have a couple of questions. Can I have a yogurt that has syns in it? Do I have to have 2 HEB? I don't really fancy bread and I have no cereal in the house.
    Originally posted by Whiplashy

That's one of the tricky questions about SP whiplashy. It depends who you ask! My view is that it's fine if you syn it. The HEB question is easier and the answer is no. Healthy Extras are just that and not essential. That being said I think it's OK to go without occasionally but it wouldn't be a healthy eating plan if you kept leaving out the calcium and fibre that HEXs are intended for without making up the food value in other ways. There's also the issue that if you have yogurt (which is questionable) then it's best not to have the extra HEB as it's not 100% SP.

I tend to look at SP as part of a spectrum with full EE one end and full SP on the other. So the closer you get to the SP end (i.e. low carb) then the bigger the chance of weightloss. SP isn't really designed to be long term (just odd days/week like you're planning it). It can be risky as if you feel hungry without carbs you might eat too many syns. Hope that helps/makes sense?

Not sure what I'm doing today. I'll write the plan but lunch might change if I'm out.

EE plan:
    B: NAS Ribena, baked beans, HEB toast, HEA milk for drinks
    L: Lentil soup (SP)
    D: Lidl BBQ beef (1.5 shared), patatas bravas, green stuff (asparagus, broccoli, sugar snaps), mushrooms
    Syns: usual
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 7th Oct 17, 12:14 PM
    • 2,875 Posts
    • 6,517 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    Kathrynha please don't get offended but have you tried something like complan? I have no idea of the syn value but you probably need the nutrients more.

WI today showing a -1lb leaving 12lbs to my official target but 19 lbs to the one I've always had in my head.

Going over SIL & BIL tonight - but will be designated driver to cut out any temptation. Tomorrow could be a bit harder as it's son's birthday so we're off to a Jamaican restaurant.

I must start drinking my 2 litres - for some reason I've struggled for the last month or so but I'm sure that's a major key to my weight loss.

Have a good day everyone
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - the Argos Card!
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 7th Oct 17, 12:27 PM
    • 1,651 Posts
    • 8,031 Thanks
    kathrynha
    Kathrynha please don't get offended but have you tried something like complan? I have no idea of the syn value but you probably need the nutrients more.

WI today showing a -1lb leaving 12lbs to my official target but 19 lbs to the one I've always had in my head.
    Originally posted by gettingtheresometime
    Well done on the loss.

Not allowed stuff like complan on my restricted diet. I am getting lots of nutrients most days, and having lots with supplements at the moment. Just wanting comfort food today, but have got some HM soup out of the freezer for later.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 7th Oct 17, 1:06 PM
    • 47,867 Posts
    • 173,919 Thanks
    beanielou
    Great loss Sunshinemummy

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

677Posts Today

6,303Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin