Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 4th Sep 17, 8:16 AM
    • 1,567Posts
    • 7,409Thanks
    kathrynha
    Get Spooking & Slimming for Halloween - Slimming World support thread 2017
    • 4th Sep 17, 8:16 AM
    Get Spooking & Slimming for Halloween - Slimming World support thread 2017 4th Sep 17 at 8:16 AM
    Shiny new thread, with all the info carried over as follows:-

Slimming World and Food Optimising is a plan for life, it's not a quick fix and you should look at weight losses over a period of time. There are no prizes for speed of weight loss.

You need to commit to making changes to the food that you buy and how you cook it, because what you've been doing in the past hasn't got you to where you want to be.

You can't use parts of the plan that suit you and forget the rest.

If you are not prepared to make a commitment to change the behaviour that has got you into your current situation then nothing is going to change, and above all things, you need to be honest and accountable for every single mouthful of food that passes your lips.

You need to care enough to take time out to pre-plan your slimming campaign. Look again at the menu plans and see the variety and volume of food you can eat. All you have to lose is the weight.

Slimming World has been successfully helping people lose weight for over forty years, so trust them and read your Food Optimising books again and again.

Food Optimising is easy but life isn't. Losing weight is a battle but you have the battle plan in your food optimising book, your secret weapon is free food, and that, together with your healthy extras and syns add up to a healthy way of eating that can (and should) be a life plan. Success is there waiting for you………go for it!

If you fancy having a go at EE, here are the official 'rules' to ensure that you not only lose weight regularly but get all the nutrition your body needs to function well:-

Extra Easy:

1: Choose your Free Food

Most of the food you eat should come from the free foods list – so that’s pasta, rice, potatoes, lean meat, poultry, fish, fruit and vegetables.

And for super-fast, super healthy results, fill one third of your plate with Speed Foods!

2: Choose your Healthy Extras

Each day select one Healthy Extra ‘a’ choice and one Healthy Extra ‘b’ choice from our simplified list of calcium and fibre-filled foods, including milk, cheese, bread, nuts and cereal.

3: Enjoy 5-15 Syns each day

-------------------------------------------------------------

If you find your weight loss has slowed down or stopped, check:-

1. Whether everything you're counting as Free, is Free

2. Whether you're under-estimating Syn values (over-estimate if guessing)

3. Whether you're counting everything that should be counted

4. Whether you're measuring everything that should be measured

5. Whether you're sabotaging your success in any other way (using SAS logs will help uncover individual long-term self-sabotage patterns) and, if none of these is the culprit, either...........

A: increase the proportion of Speed Foods to half of your plate
    B: switch to more Speed Foods

or

C: try Extra Easy SP - details are on this link - https://www.minimins.com/threads/extra-easy-sp-plan.348340/

And above all, if you follow the plan, any plan, 100% you will lose weight!

Remember we are all here to support each other, and to have fun, and to share in any little disappointments.

Link to the List of Healthy Extras as at April 14

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...postcount=4853

List of Speed foods here - Fruits & Vegetables

We have a Facebook group open to anyone joining us on this thread; to join please mention it in your post or drop Lushlifesaver a PM and an existing member can send you an invite
    Weight loss start date: 3rd January 2017
    Weight loss total: 58 lb
    Last updated: 12th September 2017
Page 4
    • greentiger
    • By greentiger 5th Sep 17, 9:34 PM
    • 1,946 Posts
    • 14,071 Thanks
    greentiger
    kathrynha,I hope you’re feeling a bit better. Thanks for doing the chart for us, even when you are feeling awful.

Good work, motivated. Every cloud has a silver lining, kathrynha.

See you all tomorrow.
    Stashbusting 141/200
    17 in 17 Challenge 14/17
    Reading Challenge 19/40
    Film Challenge 30/52
    • Mrs_Ryan
    • By Mrs_Ryan 5th Sep 17, 9:34 PM
    • 10,206 Posts
    • 18,398 Thanks
    Mrs_Ryan
    Evening all
    Had a busy day today. I know things are getting bad when I burst into tears in Asda when I got there just too late for the last packet of WW wraps Stress and exhaustion getting to me. Good news though is that yesterday's SP day has cured the bloating and took 3.5lbs with it- grrrr if I had weighed on my normal WI day that would have been a mega loss however I need the lie in more
    Today's food:
    B: Boiled eggs and asparagus. Peppermint tea
    L: Tuna pasta salad with 2 x tbsps LTL mayo (1 syn) HEXB 2 x HiFi bars, decaf coffee with HEXA S/S
    T: 4 sausages (4 syns) wedges, onions, mushrooms, broccoli, carrots, cauliflower (1 syn for the oil I used on the wedges) Fab lolly (4 syns) water
    S: 3 Broghies (3 syns) with smoked salmon, ham and gherkins, decaf tea with HEXA
    Syns: 13
    Steps: 11265
    Thanks for everyone's opinions on the exercise question. Nice to know that I'm not alone in my thoughts about exercise!
    Night all xx
    Very proud to be Open University BA (Hons) English Lang and Lit Graduate! ❤️DMU MA English begins 09/17
    WFC and pleased to be sponsor for the 2nd season ❤️ 🐝
    Will always miss you Elle and will never forget you, brightest star in the sky 😢
    • Sunshinemummy
    • By Sunshinemummy 5th Sep 17, 10:03 PM
    • 15,026 Posts
    • 182,710 Thanks
    Sunshinemummy
    Mrs-Ryan,

I've just read your signature, congratulations on the BA and good luck on the MA. It takes some dedication to do OU.... you will walk your MA x
    Accumulative cost of having adult child in 2017.
    January - One day off work for OH to take him to an exam as car broken - 40 mile round journey. Different car £450.
    • rachie_cakes
    • By rachie_cakes 6th Sep 17, 6:27 AM
    • 131 Posts
    • 219 Thanks
    rachie_cakes
    Hello,
    I only started SW last Tuesday, am I too late to join challenge? I lost 7lbs in my first week; over the moon that I got my first certificate last night! If I can join this thread, I would like to lose a further 1 stone by Halloween.

Thank you all for sharing your ideas and experiences 😊 Good luck this week everyone x
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 6th Sep 17, 7:05 AM
    • 1,567 Posts
    • 7,409 Thanks
    kathrynha
    Hello,
    I only started SW last Tuesday, am I too late to join challenge? I lost 7lbs in my first week; over the moon that I got my first certificate last night! If I can join this thread, I would like to lose a further 1 stone by Halloween.

Thank you all for sharing your ideas and experiences 😊 Good luck this week everyone x
    Originally posted by rachie_cakes
    You are welcome to join our challenge, and well done on your first week loss. I have added you to the spreadsheet.
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 6th Sep 17, 7:13 AM
    • 1,567 Posts
    • 7,409 Thanks
    kathrynha
    New week for me, and feel I should at least attempt to plan (yes I am taking care of myself too)

Today's plan:
    Breakfast - plain toast
    Lunch - pasta salad
    Dinner - Stir fry
    Snacks - fruit, aldi quavers, ginger sweets

HA - milk and cheese
    HB - counting the toast. It is white bread, but not allowed wholemeal.
    Syns - salad dressing (1), stir fry sauce (1), quavers (3), ginger sweets (whatever)

Have to laugh at the quavers being in my food plan. The same packet has been in my locker at work for almost a month now, and always on my plan, as an after lunch treat, but never feel like it after I've thrown up my lunch. Two cereal bars are sat in my locker for exactly the same reason too.
    • Tete en l'Air
    • By Tete en l'Air 6th Sep 17, 8:56 AM
    • 6,802 Posts
    • 30,978 Thanks
    Tete en l'Air
    Oh Kathryn, hope you have a better day today!

Some interesting recipes on here the last couple of days: Hominty Pie and Dirty Rice - sound delicious!

Today's plan:
    B - Banana and berry smoothie (5)
    D - Going out for lunch to an Italian, just going to go for a tomato based pasta, preferably veggie option as I assume that'll be safest?
    T - BNS, carrot and sweet potato soup
    HEA - Milk
    HEB - oats in smoothie
    Syns - Sugar in coffee (3), smoothie (5), lunch... (???)
    Lose 20lbs by 2018 (3/20)
    Currently reading: Piglettes (32/30 in 2017)
    September Grocery Challenge: £36.73/£250; NSDs: 1/15
    My 'Life Begins at 35' diary *click*
    • Top Girl
    • By Top Girl 6th Sep 17, 9:33 AM
    • 1,078 Posts
    • 7,486 Thanks
    Top Girl
    anyone watching itv?
    Originally posted by Sunshinemummy

I watched it on record.

I don't think the woman really understood SW or she wasn't really making the most of the recipes.

All it made me do was want the hula hoops she was eating!

On which...

B - Overnight oats

D - Ham, babybel, cottage cheese and new potato salad. A packet of hula hoops (6) and an apple. A mug shot if still hungry.

T - Musclefood chimichurri (sp?) steaks - no idea on syns! Chips and salad.

Glass of milk before bed
    • Moneysaverme
    • By Moneysaverme 6th Sep 17, 9:40 AM
    • 206 Posts
    • 1,699 Thanks
    Moneysaverme
    Morning all,

Hope you manage to feel a bit more human today Kathryn. DENISE, not sure when you're off on your holidays but three months would be amazing. Wishing you a fabulous time!

TETE, yes indeed the homity pie was delish. If anyone is in need of comfort stodge and has random bits in the fridge to use up, I heartily recommend it. Usually I have some form of potatoes, cheese, eggs and veg lurking. It's very easily adaptable too. As it's veggie some people might prefer it as a side dish but I had a huge bowl on its own and it was thoroughly satisfying. I haven't seen the Dirty Rice, shall have a look as I love rice.

Well, had a sneaky peak on the scales this morning and they are moving nicely this week. My WI is Saturday so shall continue with what I've been doing as I seem to be having a sudden whoosh! What have I been doing differently? More water than usual, eating what I have at home, haven't been shopping so I'm really making things stretch and trying new recipes. Also have regularly had a heB in the form of choc weetabix (thanks DENISE who told me I wasn't having enough heB). Less shopping equals less treats. I've had zero crisps this week, still had daily chocolate though. Lots of fruit and veg. I haven't been deprived at all, I've had some lovely meals and the effort is showing in the numbers. Yay!

Good luck all for a positive day x
    Weight loss 2017 - 27.5 lbs
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 6th Sep 17, 10:13 AM
    • 4,636 Posts
    • 34,345 Thanks
    joedenise
    Welcome Rachie. 7lb is an amazing first week loss. Are you enjoying the plan? It's so flexible.

Kathryn hope today is a better one. Had to laugh about the Quavers!

MSM - we're hoping to go away next Wednesday but it all depends on DH's blood test results!

Am trying to use up stuff I've got in stock as much as possible so plans aren't as on plan as usual but I'm trying!

B - cheese on toast - HEB + 3 (20g of cheese); I added mustard powder, Lea & Perrins & an egg to mix it so it's spreadable. Makes it more satisfying too. Give it a try if you haven't already.
    L - prawn salad - prawns defosting at the moment, the last of the bag; lettuce, cucumber, tomato, pepper, spring onion
    D - LF sausages (1 syn); mash; mixed veg

HEA - milk
    HEB - bread
    Syns - cheese; sausages; may also have a crumpet & butter later if I'm peckish during the evening (I've got the syns available as have kept low syn all week!)

Denise
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 6th Sep 17, 6:52 PM
    • 50,482 Posts
    • 580,669 Thanks
    bubbs
    Evening all
    I have had the most lush tea, but no speed but will be having my fruit soon
    I made fishcakes , they were a bit "wet" any suggestions please?
    I cooked the fish with parsely, flaked it up added salt and pepper , mashed potatoes up and mixed together, let it chill overnight in the fridge.
    Tonight i shaped them then rolled in instant mash, started them off with a spray of fry light in a pan, then transferred into the oven to make sure they were hot all the way through had with SW chips mushy peas and egg and OMG
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15

[B] -3 st 8 lb week 25/B]
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 6th Sep 17, 6:56 PM
    • 1,567 Posts
    • 7,409 Thanks
    kathrynha
    Quavers back in locker at work.

Watched that ITV programme on catch up. Generally think SW came out not too bad but if the lady was feeling lethargic she wasn't following the plan right, why was she craving a full English, when the sw version is in the new starter pack. Also where did they get the £250 a month food costs? I spend considerably less than that
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 6th Sep 17, 6:58 PM
    • 1,567 Posts
    • 7,409 Thanks
    kathrynha
    Evening all
    I have had the most lush tea, but no speed but will be having my fruit soon
    I made fishcakes , they were a bit "wet" any suggestions please?
    I cooked the fish with parsely, flaked it up added salt and pepper , mashed potatoes up and mixed together, let it chill overnight in the fridge.
    Tonight i shaped them then rolled in instant mash, started them off with a spray of fry light in a pan, then transferred into the oven to make sure they were hot all the way through had with SW chips mushy peas and egg and OMG
    Originally posted by bubbs
    When I do fishcakes I make them with instant mash and just make it rather on the dry side so that it absorbs some of the liquid from the fish.
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 6th Sep 17, 7:19 PM
    • 50,482 Posts
    • 580,669 Thanks
    bubbs

Watched that ITV programme on catch up. Generally think SW came out not too bad but if the lady was feeling lethargic she wasn't following the plan right, why was she craving a full English, when the sw version is in the new starter pack. Also where did they get the £250 a month food costs? I spend considerably less than that
    Originally posted by kathrynha
    Poor Quavers will be getting a complex Have you keot anything down today?
    When I do fishcakes I make them with instant mash and just make it rather on the dry side so that it absorbs some of the liquid from the fish.
    Ahh ok thanks will try that next time x
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15

[B] -3 st 8 lb week 25/B]
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 6th Sep 17, 7:34 PM
    • 4,636 Posts
    • 34,345 Thanks
    joedenise

I said exactly the same. I doubt I spend that for both of us and DH has non-SW stuff on top of the SW meals I cook.

I probably eat more fruit than he does though.

Denise
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 6th Sep 17, 7:41 PM
    • 1,567 Posts
    • 7,409 Thanks
    kathrynha
    Poor Quavers will be getting a complex Have you keot anything down today?
    Originally posted by bubbs
    Some of my breakfast stayed down. Lunch and dinner weren't so lucky. Having toast for supper hoping it will stay put.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 6th Sep 17, 7:54 PM
    • 47,176 Posts
    • 169,488 Thanks
    beanielou
    I really really need to get my head back in the zone.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • haras_nosirrah
    • By haras_nosirrah 6th Sep 17, 9:31 PM
    • 1,240 Posts
    • 2,326 Thanks
    haras_nosirrah

I don't understand the point of the programme. If someone goes from eating 4000 calories of crap to eating 500 calories on a shake diet then of course they are going to lose weight quickly - they will f up their metabolism long term and will put it back on

or they can eat actual food and lose weight slower but keep it off

why not just do the dust diet - 28 days of eating nothing but dust. You will lose loads of weight and its free so clearly the best £1 for 1lb diet out there - you will die but its a small price to pay
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • Sunshinemummy
    • By Sunshinemummy 6th Sep 17, 10:25 PM
    • 15,026 Posts
    • 182,710 Thanks
    Sunshinemummy
    I don't understand the point of the programme. If someone goes from eating 4000 calories of crap to eating 500 calories on a shake diet then of course they are going to lose weight quickly - they will f up their metabolism long term and will put it back on

or they can eat actual food and lose weight slower but keep it off

why not just do the dust diet - 28 days of eating nothing but dust. You will lose loads of weight and its free so clearly the best £1 for 1lb diet out there - you will die but its a small price to pay
    Originally posted by haras_nosirrah
    Anyone on the dust diet is more than welcome to come and collect the dust from my house...... it will last you a few years!

Accumulative cost of having adult child in 2017.
    January - One day off work for OH to take him to an exam as car broken - 40 mile round journey. Different car £450.
    • Mrs_Ryan
    • By Mrs_Ryan 6th Sep 17, 10:27 PM
    • 10,206 Posts
    • 18,398 Thanks
    Mrs_Ryan
    Hi all
    Regarding the spending on food- I had this argument with someone on a pinch of nom who said what my partner and I were spending on food wasn't justifiable as she had a diabetic daughter and her husband had quite a physical job (but worked 9-5) and was doing SW too and they only spent £65 a week so we should only be spending that too. I pointed out that I doubted her husband spent 8 hours a day flinging 35kg sacks of mail around like my partner does which is why he eats a lot hence that's why our food bill is so high! We spend about £80 weekly at Aldi plus at least another £30-40 on a top up shop. I got lectured about not batch cooking (even though I physically cannot) and told to buy another freezer (we already have 2!) before I did SW our food bill was about £280 a month- it's now well over £400. I've done well this week- I spent £17 in Asda today (although some of that wasn't mine) and about another fiver yesterday. However that was because I had run out of frozen veg and I bought 6 or 7 packs to fill up the freezer.
    I have finally managed to locate some WW wraps- the SW holy grail I got the last packs. Sent 2 packs to my mum and I made a pastie tonight. I was sceptical that it would work (these things never do for me ) but OMG was I wrong! It was lush and made a really good sized pastie! I think I'm going to try making a pizza tomorrow

Today's food:
    B: Sausage (2 syns) onion and mushroom Broghies (2 syns) Decaf coffee with HEXA s/s
    L: Ham and egg salad, melon, 2 x HiFi bars (6 syns)
    T: WW wrap pastie (HEXB +1 syn for corned beef) broccoli, carrots, green beans, mushrooms, peas, sweetcorn, water. Quark with Options sachets and raspberries (5 syns)
    S: Apple and peach
    Syns: 16
    Night all xx
    Very proud to be Open University BA (Hons) English Lang and Lit Graduate! ❤️DMU MA English begins 09/17
    WFC and pleased to be sponsor for the 2nd season ❤️ 🐝
    Will always miss you Elle and will never forget you, brightest star in the sky 😢
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,260Posts Today

8,263Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin