Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 4th Sep 17, 8:16 AM
    • 1,722Posts
    • 8,533Thanks
    kathrynha
    Get Spooking & Slimming for Halloween - Slimming World support thread 2017
    • 4th Sep 17, 8:16 AM
    Get Spooking & Slimming for Halloween - Slimming World support thread 2017 4th Sep 17 at 8:16 AM
    Shiny new thread, with all the info carried over as follows:-

Slimming World and Food Optimising is a plan for life, it's not a quick fix and you should look at weight losses over a period of time. There are no prizes for speed of weight loss.

You need to commit to making changes to the food that you buy and how you cook it, because what you've been doing in the past hasn't got you to where you want to be.

You can't use parts of the plan that suit you and forget the rest.

If you are not prepared to make a commitment to change the behaviour that has got you into your current situation then nothing is going to change, and above all things, you need to be honest and accountable for every single mouthful of food that passes your lips.

You need to care enough to take time out to pre-plan your slimming campaign. Look again at the menu plans and see the variety and volume of food you can eat. All you have to lose is the weight.

Slimming World has been successfully helping people lose weight for over forty years, so trust them and read your Food Optimising books again and again.

Food Optimising is easy but life isn't. Losing weight is a battle but you have the battle plan in your food optimising book, your secret weapon is free food, and that, together with your healthy extras and syns add up to a healthy way of eating that can (and should) be a life plan. Success is there waiting for you………go for it!

If you fancy having a go at EE, here are the official 'rules' to ensure that you not only lose weight regularly but get all the nutrition your body needs to function well:-

Extra Easy:

1: Choose your Free Food

Most of the food you eat should come from the free foods list – so that’s pasta, rice, potatoes, lean meat, poultry, fish, fruit and vegetables.

And for super-fast, super healthy results, fill one third of your plate with Speed Foods!

2: Choose your Healthy Extras

Each day select one Healthy Extra ‘a’ choice and one Healthy Extra ‘b’ choice from our simplified list of calcium and fibre-filled foods, including milk, cheese, bread, nuts and cereal.

3: Enjoy 5-15 Syns each day

-------------------------------------------------------------

If you find your weight loss has slowed down or stopped, check:-

1. Whether everything you're counting as Free, is Free

2. Whether you're under-estimating Syn values (over-estimate if guessing)

3. Whether you're counting everything that should be counted

4. Whether you're measuring everything that should be measured

5. Whether you're sabotaging your success in any other way (using SAS logs will help uncover individual long-term self-sabotage patterns) and, if none of these is the culprit, either...........

A: increase the proportion of Speed Foods to half of your plate
    B: switch to more Speed Foods

or

C: try Extra Easy SP - details are on this link - https://www.minimins.com/threads/extra-easy-sp-plan.348340/

And above all, if you follow the plan, any plan, 100% you will lose weight!

Remember we are all here to support each other, and to have fun, and to share in any little disappointments.

Link to the List of Healthy Extras as at April 14

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...postcount=4853

List of Speed foods here - Fruits & Vegetables

We have a Facebook group open to anyone joining us on this thread; to join please mention it in your post or drop Lushlifesaver a PM and an existing member can send you an invite
    Weight loss start date: 3rd January 2017
    Weight loss total: 58 lb
    Last updated: 12th September 2017
Page 18
    • maman
    • By maman 14th Sep 17, 3:00 PM
    • 16,969 Posts
    • 101,500 Thanks
    maman
    We've tried the Indian ones Bubbs and we thought they were OK. I split one between 2 people and add lots of veg, and a wholemeal Pitta bread.
    Originally posted by BarleySugar
    I tried the jalfrezi in my search for a curry ready meal. It's the only one I've tried. It was OK but a bit thin and watery. Now I have Aldi Lamb Rogan Josh. For 1.5 syns it's more like a proper Indian takeaway.

tweets was very good. She taste tested all the ready meals for us when they first came out.
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 14th Sep 17, 3:19 PM
    • 4,669 Posts
    • 34,644 Thanks
    joedenise
    I don't buy the ready meals either, although I did try a couple when they first came out. I didn't mind the beef and crushed veg but DH wasn't keen. The sweet potato curry was horrible, the potato was really hard. I don't think it would have softened if I cooked it for ages. Decided then never to bother again.

Still haven't tried the Aldi one. Will look out for it while we're here when we do an Aldi shop although there aren't as many as there are Lidl.

Denise
    • wizkid1
    • By wizkid1 14th Sep 17, 4:10 PM
    • 1,833 Posts
    • 15,065 Thanks
    wizkid1
    Hiya, everybody, I am still here but not really posting my menus as I am still not eating as I should, I have had the most awful chest infection and my cough hasn't gone I can't taste my food, so I am only having light stuff like soups and porridge sometimes only toast.
    I have never had a cough and cold that has lasted this long. I thought I would let you all know that I am still here. Hopefully I will be ok in another few days. I just haven't patience at the moment. I hope you're all doing well and keeping free from colds etc. xx
    • BarleySugar
    • By BarleySugar 14th Sep 17, 5:25 PM
    • 372 Posts
    • 8,270 Thanks
    BarleySugar
    I tried the jalfrezi in my search for a curry ready meal. It's the only one I've tried. It was OK but a bit thin and watery. Now I have Aldi Lamb Rogan Josh. For 1.5 syns it's more like a proper Indian takeaway.

tweets was very good. She taste tested all the ready meals for us when they first came out.
    Originally posted by maman
    Oh Maman thanks, I'll try the Aldi one. We have a motorhome and I find it's an easy meal to do, I just put in a pot and heat on the hob.
    • Sunshinemummy
    • By Sunshinemummy 14th Sep 17, 6:07 PM
    • 14,832 Posts
    • 184,777 Thanks
    Sunshinemummy
    I have come to the conclusion my work/diet balance is rubbish.

I have just managed to have my breakfast!

But on the positive side, I have come home earlier than normal....I have been with smelly people, really smelly people and need a shower and change of clothes before I go to get hair laser removal....... I wished I had not washed my hair this morning....think I need to wash my hair again!
    Accumulative cost of having adult child in 2017.
    January - One day off work for OH to take him to an exam as car broken - 40 mile round journey. Different car £450.
    • maman
    • By maman 14th Sep 17, 6:24 PM
    • 16,969 Posts
    • 101,500 Thanks
    maman
    Thanks for dropping by wiz . Sorry to hear you're still feeling rough. Hope you've seen the doctor.

I have come to the conclusion my work/diet balance is rubbish.
    Originally posted by Sunshinemummy
    Interested you should say that sunshinemummy . We had a similar discussion at my group this morning. We have two nurses that have been on nights. One was managing just one meal when she woke up and ate nothing through the night. The other has a breakfast type meal at teatime like an omelette and then takes something she can grab at odd times through the night when she has a moment. Best weightloss was eating more.

All well so far. DD just brought 2 fancy cupcakes. 1 we had with a candle so I just had to sing and DH ate the cake! The other he can eat later for his pudding if he fancies it.
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 14th Sep 17, 6:43 PM
    • 48,087 Posts
    • 591,848 Thanks
    bubbs
    Well im reporting a 1lb lossbit disappointing tbh
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017 Actual £500
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    :-4 stone 4lb week 34
    • greentiger
    • By greentiger 14th Sep 17, 8:56 PM
    • 2,001 Posts
    • 14,440 Thanks
    greentiger
    Well done, shiprob and bubbs.

Hello, BarleySugar. Oh, I remember getting big twisted sticks of that (from the chemist!!!!) and sooking it to a lethal point. Not at all good for the teeth!

Still behaving ��
    Stashbusting 165/200
    17 in 17 Challenge 16/17
    Reading Challenge 23/40
    Film Challenge 34/52
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 14th Sep 17, 9:06 PM
    • 48,087 Posts
    • 591,848 Thanks
    bubbs
    Well done, shiprob and bubbs.

Hello, BarleySugar. Oh, I remember getting big twisted sticks of that (from the chemist!!!!) and sooking it to a lethal point. Not at all good for the teeth!

Still behaving ��
    Originally posted by greentiger
    Thanks glad you are still behaving
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017 Actual £500
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    • maman
    • By maman 14th Sep 17, 9:08 PM
    • 16,969 Posts
    • 101,500 Thanks
    maman
    Well im reporting a 1lb lossbit disappointing tbh
    Originally posted by bubbs
    Sorry you're disappointed bubbs but bet you wouldn't swap for my 1lb gain!

Just keep plodding and all your good work will show up in the end.

DH and I enjoyed his birthday dinner. Not the day we planned but we'll have another chance when his cough is gone. I probably had about 6-8 syns worth of oil, creme fraiche and cheese but that was it. Back on plan now until the weekend. DGD1's birthday on Sunday. September is a hard month for us.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 14th Sep 17, 9:09 PM
    • 48,483 Posts
    • 178,332 Thanks
    beanielou
    1 lb off for me this week.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • maman
    • By maman 14th Sep 17, 9:10 PM
    • 16,969 Posts
    • 101,500 Thanks
    maman
    1 lb off for me this week.
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Not another one!!

Well done beanie
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 14th Sep 17, 9:14 PM
    • 48,087 Posts
    • 591,848 Thanks
    bubbs
    Sorry you're disappointed bubbs but bet you wouldn't swap for my 1lb gain!

Just keep plodding and all your good work will show up in the end.

DH and I enjoyed his birthday dinner. Not the day we planned but we'll have another chance when his cough is gone. I probably had about 6-8 syns worth of oil, creme fraiche and cheese but that was it. Back on plan now until the weekend. DGD1's birthday on Sunday. September is a hard month for us.
    No my 1/2 did me in last week after a good week, 1lb is better than nowt i suppose but seeing as i had been sooooooooooo good
    Well done Beanie
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    • Whiplashy
    • By Whiplashy 14th Sep 17, 9:55 PM
    • 139 Posts
    • 1,387 Thanks
    Whiplashy
    I had another naughty day Enjoyed it though. Went to group tonight to sign up. Consultant was lovely. Very surprised by the amount of people who just weighed and went though. I'll be getting every last second out of my money! I'm in Ireland and it's €9 a week here. Don't know where slimming world are getting that conversion rate from!

Scales wasn't as bad as I expected. Especially considering how much I've eaten the last couple of days! 5lbs up from when I weighed Sunday morning, so when you allow for the clothes, I got off pretty lightly.
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 14th Sep 17, 11:02 PM
    • 3,014 Posts
    • 6,966 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    What happened there .....I could have sworn I posted a post this afternoon!

Maman that stir fry sounds lovely .....might do that on the weekend.

Another recipe I'm thinking about doing is pon's easy chicken recipe though I'm not sure whether I should get the mild merryweather curry or the hot one.....any advice?

Also being the repetitive person I am, can anyone suggest any decent frozen meat ? I used to have chilled meat from Asda but they stopped putting them on a multi buy offer and put the price up. I don't mind it being frozen as I warm it up anyway to have with a portion of vegetables but would like it edible!

Not sure whether I'll sign up to a 12 week countdown again though I might sign up for a 6 week one - it's having to think about whether I need to book holidays when you buy the countdown that I find a pain.
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - JD Williams
    • esmy
    • By esmy 15th Sep 17, 9:09 AM
    • 836 Posts
    • 2,646 Thanks
    esmy
    Morning all.

1/2lb off for this week. I've been hovering around this weight for a few weeks now so need to do something to spur it on. I'm on my own over the weekend so I'm going to try a couple of speed days in the hope it will give me a boost. Could those in the know tell me if this is roughly right - meals protein and speed, no free foods, syns as usual, 1 HEX A and 2 HEX B??? Any suggestions for meals/recipes welcome.
    • maman
    • By maman 15th Sep 17, 11:05 AM
    • 16,969 Posts
    • 101,500 Thanks
    maman
    Morning all.

1/2lb off for this week. I've been hovering around this weight for a few weeks now so need to do something to spur it on. I'm on my own over the weekend so I'm going to try a couple of speed days in the hope it will give me a boost. Could those in the know tell me if this is roughly right - meals protein and speed, no free foods, syns as usual, 1 HEX A and 2 HEX B??? Any suggestions for meals/recipes welcome.
    Originally posted by esmy

Yes, that's about right for SP esmy and well done on your loss. I'd take anything at the moment however small. I think missing carbs on SP is largely psychological. I find if I have something chunky to cut into with my knife and fork then I don't miss the potatoes. So if you did a roast, you could roast carrots in chunks the size of new potatoes and you'd be fine. The go to recipe is cottage pie with a swede and carrot mash but that's a lot of faff for one person. I find lunches and breakfasts easy. Omelettes and soups are good. I have beetroot and cornichons alongside my omelettes or a pile of salad. In the omelettes you can have ham and any veg in the fridge like tomatoes, mushrooms, onions etc. Butternut squash roasts well or makes chips. To me they taste like sweet potato but they're Speed. I've not tried things like veggie rice and spaghetti but they're good for cutting carbs.

Do you mean ready cooked frozen meat gettingtheresometime? If so, it's not something I've ever bought. I buy most of my meat either YS in Sainsbury's or from Aldi.

I have to do my meal plan and shop for the week but I've got enough in to manage today.

Which bread do most people use for their HEB? I like a small loaf but find most of them tasteless. Currently Burgen Soya and Linseed is my favourite but it's 80p so a lot of money for a small loaf.

EE plan:
    B: NAS grapefruit, 2 boiled eggs, HEB toast
    L: JP with veggie chilli
    D: pork burger, SW chips, asparagus, tomatoes, mushrooms
    Syns: not decided yet
    • Top Girl
    • By Top Girl 15th Sep 17, 12:19 PM
    • 1,094 Posts
    • 7,673 Thanks
    Top Girl
    I use Kingsmill Hi Fibre still

Hasn't made me gain so I'm happy with it.

Today I'm having 2 HEXBs and to heck with it

B - Bacon mushroom and tomato sandwich

D - Tuna salad sandwich (4 for mayo) and an apple

T - Stir fry

HEXAs will be milk x 2

Not sure on syns yet. I have some beef monster munch here if I fancy them.

Well done losers!
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 15th Sep 17, 12:48 PM
    • 3,014 Posts
    • 6,966 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    Do you mean ready cooked frozen meat gettingtheresometime? If so, it's not something I've ever bought. I buy most of my meat either YS in Sainsbury's or from Aldi.

Which bread do most people use for their HEB? I like a small loaf but find most of them tasteless. Currently Burgen Soya and Linseed is my favourite but it's 80p so a lot of money for a small loaf.

Yes Maman I do.

I'm quite restricted in what I can prepare in work - we have a microwave as well as a toaster and that's its so really it's a case of anything I can warm up.

I'm not really a salad girl so in my pre sw days its was sandwiches but I don't want to go down that route now.

I used to have the pasta pots from Tesco but again I'm trying to limit the amount of pasta I eat (though I suppose I could go for the vegetable variety) so any suggestions would be useful.

I have the Hovis wholemeal (400g loaf) when I do have bread
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - JD Williams
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 15th Sep 17, 4:14 PM
    • 1,722 Posts
    • 8,533 Thanks
    kathrynha
    Having a bit of an off plan day today. Shouldn't but feeling off today, and by allowing myself an off plan day hopefully I will feel less guilty the just having one, and therefore will hopefully feel like getting back on it tomorrow.
    Weight loss start date: 3rd January 2017
    Weight loss total: 58 lb
    Last updated: 12th September 2017
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

398Posts Today

5,162Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin