Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 4th Sep 17, 6:39 AM
    • 6,428Posts
    • 36,615Thanks
    determined new ms
    What small DFW things will you do this week? w/c 4 September
    • 4th Sep 17, 6:39 AM
    What small DFW things will you do this week? w/c 4 September 4th Sep 17 at 6:39 AM
    What small DFW things will you do this week - w/c 4 September
    When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling '16 £2874.33 Roadkill £28.25
    Wombling YTD £2839.06/Roadkill £8.58
    SFDs Sept 6/18 CC saved £2372.50 Veg grown £376.20
Page 4
    • princess_pea
    • By princess_pea 7th Sep 17, 9:49 PM
    • 335 Posts
    • 2,687 Thanks
    princess_pea
    We looked up cheap places to eat on trip advisor before we went (amazing meats, cheese, breads, tiramisu, wine!). Also the public museums are free on first Sunday of the month so we got in the Coliseum/ Roman Forum for free. I think the Vatican Museums are free on the last Sunday. Went to free places like the Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, St Peter's. It was just lovely to walk around and people watch! Just have to save up for another visit now ��
    DFD 7/3/2016
    Married 3/9/2016
    Mortgage Deposit £6300
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 8th Sep 17, 6:49 AM
    • 6,428 Posts
    • 36,615 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Morning whoop to it being Friday 3 lovely days off after 4pm (sorry to all full timers for my jubilation but what for what I gain in time you gain in money!)

Not much going on today in the world of small things!

* los for lunch from my friend coming round. cucumbers, tomatoes, houmous, bruschetta with fruit and yogurt mmmmmm
    * mil picking up madam saving us £7 after school fees
    * tidy up in a minute so mil comes in to a fairly tidy house!
    * I only have 3 hours between visits today and have a lot of work to do. Have to focus on the most important!
    * park for free slightly outside of town and then walk to the various places we have meetings - annoyingly my boss has booked us 3 meetings together today but they are all in different parts of town!
    * ask my boss if I can claim the coffee as expenses. She's invited the team to have a coffee and a catch up but I doubt we can claim it. If we can't I'll go without!
    * hoping for a NSD
    * wash madam's school uniform when she gets home
    * Can't find my meal plan! Need to think and get something out of freezer for oh & madam. Might just do jackets as that's nice and easy
    * get cake out of freezer so it defrosts for after school
    * exercise for free by power walking to the various points
    * take some veg to give to a colleague
    * film and time with oh tonight

Ok that's all for me I think. Funny ole world isn't it? I have a new colleague who I've spent a couple of days with and really we hit it off. found out yesterday that one of my good friends from uni is one of her best friend's. No wonder we hit it off!

Anyway may the force be with us all!
    DF as at 30/12/16
    • La escocesa
    • By La escocesa 8th Sep 17, 9:07 AM
    • 2,883 Posts
    • 18,184 Thanks
    La escocesa
    Ooh PP – sounds lovely! We were the same with the free entrances – we went at new year and lots were free over the bank holidays. I was also a total geek in filling up my water bottle at the free fountains BTW, I would put a complaint in about your dentist! How bl00d y rude!

DNMS – Small world! It’s funny when things like that happen.

I’m just enjoying my free coffee in work

Breakfast today is a banana and out-of-date oatcakes (they’re still crunchy though so all good there. )

Lunch is HM noodle pot with a venison sausage I left from last night’s tea.

Need to go out at lunch to get porridge.

I’m off to yoga tonight, which is £9 and then also probably £2.20 on the tram home. That’s it, I’ve decided to start up my own classes again to pay for my habit…!

Love y'all lots jellytots!
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 8th Sep 17, 12:54 PM
    • 4,792 Posts
    • 18,611 Thanks
    FatVonD
    Afternoon all, a late start for me as I've been catching up on some much needed sleep, it's all good though, I had promised myself that today was for 'me' time and that I wouldn't work.

I was planning on doing some gardening but it's wet and miserable out there which also puts the kibosh on photographing stuff.

Lots of the craft bits arrived this morning, I need to think about the best way to store/organise it all.

I'm going to move furniture out of the way ready for the carpenter tomorrow and take a couple of shelves off the wall, I'll hand onto them and reposition once he's done and I know how I'm going to organise the space.

I need to hoover the landing for as long as long as the Hoover will work, I spent a long time brushing the cat in order to get hairs straight from cat to bin without the intermediate carpet stage! Both of mine have long hair, one is fine and silky and easy to pick up, the other is more fuzzy and that stuff sticks to everything!

Lunch today might be an omelette as I enjoyed last night's one so much, or even omelette in a sandwich with ketchup, yummy. Need to buy butter though.

I have everything in for a roast tonight but will need to check whether DS will be home.

I really wish I hadn't booked to work next week as I've loved being off this week

Have a good day everyone
    Lunches brought to work in September 6/20 Money saved to date £13.07 (compared to spending three pounds on a meal deal.)

Make £10 a day in September £288.05/£300 (August£223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54)
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 8th Sep 17, 2:03 PM
    • 4,495 Posts
    • 34,324 Thanks
    DawnW
    Afternoon all
    Been to my sales unit this morning, and managed to fit in a bagful of new bits, so have had some sales Walked for free exercise.

Apart from that:
    HG raspberries for breakfast
    Failed again at a NSD as I bought a top in a CS in town, also some coasters and a box of nice soaps. Spent all of £6.75 on this - I will have to confess all on the September scrimping thread I am normally quite good at NSDs, but have seen too many bargains so far this month
    Need to pick raspberries Done
    And carrots for dinner, plus whatever else needs picking Found a huge cucumber
    Also make soup Done, courgette, pea and pesto, made loads
    Do the ironing Well, I have got as far as getting the ironing board out......
    Water salads in greenhouse Done
    Chicken to roast for dinner Done
    Check for surveys Done, but will look again in a minute
    Check banks Not yet
    Sew a button on the CS top I bought yesterday - it is fine apart from that - though I do think that £4.25 for a CS top with a missing button is a bit expensive! Not yet

Better get on with some of that lot I think!
    Last edited by DawnW; 08-09-2017 at 8:13 PM.
    Grocery spends for September £143.05 / £160.00 (includes milkman's bill)
    SFDs for September 4/18
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 8th Sep 17, 2:06 PM
    • 478 Posts
    • 4,852 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    Afternoon all,

Todays list
    * Kids breakfast from the back of the cereal cupboard
    * Gym class done and refilled water bottle there twice
    * Home for ys bread from the freezer for toast and poached egg
    * Dh working from home so trying to find quiet jobs to be doing around the house!
    * Washed one load of bedding and hung out to dry (before the thunder storm forecast for this afternoon)
    * Dishwasher running on quick wash
    * Dh had his leftover sarnies from yesterday for his lunch today with a can of soup.
    * Checked fruitbowl and chopped a couple of apples and a couple of peaches that were on the turn, added them to a bag of rhubarb in the freezer to go into a big crumble for a Sunday lunch dessert at some point.
    * Made arrangements with family we can call in and visit as we are close by on Sunday (and were invited for lunch - bonus )
    * Showered and left hair to dry naturally, continuing the use up of lotions, potions and make up
    * Checked banking/updated spreadsheet

Still to do
    * Fakeaway tonight with the kids and watch a film from stash - nice way to end their first week at school I hope.
    * Iron just the few bits that need doing, hang the rest straight away.

Sure there is more to do, so will hopefully add more as I go.

Have a lovely weekend if I don't get back on!
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 8th Sep 17, 3:23 PM
    • 4,792 Posts
    • 18,611 Thanks
    FatVonD
    I have been offered the SM job I applied for, working three days a week The wages from this will cover all my direct debits etc each month which is a weight off my mind and then I can spend the rest of my time building my fledgling business. I love it when a plan comes together
    Lunches brought to work in September 6/20 Money saved to date £13.07 (compared to spending three pounds on a meal deal.)

Make £10 a day in September £288.05/£300 (August£223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54)
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 8th Sep 17, 5:13 PM
    • 281 Posts
    • 2,410 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    That's is brilliant news FVD I always think if it was meant to be it was meant to be, and it's obviously happening for you-I love great news
    And again the same with DD with uni. I remember being so desperate to leave home to go to uni, it didn't help that I had to take a year out from 6th form due to health problems which made things worse. I see the same with DD, she was ready to go last year. It's hard, bittersweet and I will probably be a blubbering mess next friday but I had an amazing time at uni, it is a true life experience and I know DD will find it the same.......FVD u reminded me, had loads of tea bags for her, but no coffee or hot chocolate, bought some today.

Been a busy day. Hospital today 3 1/2 hour round trip so fitted things inbetween including picking up above bits and quilt I had ordered for DD.
    My tablet has been out of action after deciding to jump out of my hand from the stair lift a couple of weeks ago
    I prefer it to listen to the radio and do other bits on it. A very nice young man saved me a fortune fixing it in the shop so it didn't have to be sent away......so relieved and happy it is working
    Spent the last of my DIY budget on a bathmat.Had a look round M@talan when picking up DD quilt. Time for me to get saving again ready for the next round of bits to be done.
    Have a great evening everyone
    2017 birthday savings so far thru shopping frugally = 228.72 284.31 306.81 481.15:money.
    April grocery challenge £171.21/ £200 May GC £248.47/£190 June GC £87.69/ £190
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 8th Sep 17, 7:03 PM
    • 3,628 Posts
    • 17,639 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Hello Friday Frugalistas,
    Busy day today getting all the camping gear back upstairs ready to go back in its cupboard, laundry, so many jobs that it feels like we've been away weeks instead of a few days! Anyway, we are both really on the same page with having a careful autumn on the financial front. Here are today's small contributions:
    *Did meal plans & shopping list over breakfast, prioritising homegrown produce which needs using & stuff in freezer.
    *Grocery shopping came in at about £30. Only 2 outstanding items - coffee & vegetable stock cubes. Will be able to pick both up tomorrow in town & still be within this week's grocery budget which is £46.
    *Pegged out the laundry I did overnight & got it dry in the sunshine. Did have to bring it in for 20 mins when we had a brisk shower but I was determined not to cave in to the heated airer. Washer set on timer again for another cheap load on overnight tariff.
    *Talked mr f into defrosting the freezer. Made a thorough freezer inventory while we were put it all back. Lots of meals & useful ingredients in there.
    *Rounded up all the containers of blackberries in the freezer & divided them up according to what I want to do with them. Put 500g back to make blackberry vodka soon, also a small bag earmarked for a fruit sponge. Used some with 500g of our huge pear crop to make a base for a big crumble which I froze to use next time I need to feed a lot of people. Stewed some into compote to have with porridge (froze). FInally, used all the remaining ones to make 10 jars of blackberry & pear jam. It's come out really nice - better than when I last made it. I cooked the fruit for longer & it seems to have made all the difference to the consistency. Will use 2 or 3 jars of this for gifts.
    *Picked 4 more courgettes, another 2lbs tomatoes & another green pepper. mr f using lots of this tonight to make 'Cheesy Bean Thing' (which isn't really called that, but we've been making it for so long that we can't remember what the original recipe was called)
    *Picked up more windfall pears. Found a pear recipe I might make tomorrow if I have time
    *Paid 12 x 50p pieces into my sealed pot.
    *Sorted out all the shopping vouchers on kitchen board. Some potentially useful ones I'd forgotten about.
    *Will knit later - am trying to get a few pairs of socks knitted to sell on my sister's knitting stall. Can't see me getting more than 3 pairs done at the most. Yarn from stash so no outlay just my time. Sold quite a few pairs last year & early this year.
    *Another £5 of survey income (updated my signature as I keep a tally of survey earnings). Think will put it towards a Christmas present.
    *Free expensive skincare serum in free magazine (John Lewis 'Edition', if anyone usually picks up a copy of this). I'm not supposed to spend more than £10 on beauty type products this month because I'm doing the September scrimpy challenge. I spent £6.50 today so will now need to be careful with making things last. I do really like nice skincare.
    I think that's all for today. Must update the September Challenge now. I am absolutely not going to get anywhere near hitting 18 NSDs,but I am working hard on not spending anything that hasn't been budgeted for & on generally cracking down. It's focusing me, anyway.
    Love to all,
    F x
    Oh....Purplefairy - yes, we were ok, thanks. We did have one very bad night weatherwise in out tent. We went out one night & got back in a real downpour (quite high winds too) which continued for 5 hours. We started getting water dripping through the seams on the tent, & then seeping through in other places. The 'bedroom' was dry so we decided to go to bed & see if we could sleep through it (which we did) & next morning, it had already all dried out & all was fine. Shall have to investigate re-waterproofing the seams. Had a lovely few days, anyway x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = £120
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £210 2017 = £246
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 8th Sep 17, 7:34 PM
    • 4,495 Posts
    • 34,324 Thanks
    DawnW
    I'm not going to manage 18 SFDs (NSDs) either this month Foxgloves I have managed to track down a few items from my list in charity shops /car boot sales, some of which I have been looking for longterm. Others I am always looking for, such as tops that I like (and which fit) and nice soaps!
    SFDs for September 4/18
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 9th Sep 17, 7:33 AM
    • 6,428 Posts
    • 36,615 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Morning I too don't think I'll hit the 18 SFDs target and am thinking I'll pull out of the challenge because of it! Yesterday as I was in town & went into Debenham$ and bought a jacket and a pair off black trousers. I got £15 off of the trousers so they were £20 instead of £35 but the jacket was £58. It's a lot for me to spend on clothes - I don't think I've bought anything new since last November! But I LOVE both of the them, are great additions to my wardrobe - tried trousers on with everything last night so no regrets (gotta do more stuff that brings me joy!)

I then spoke to my bff who I haven't seen a lot of these last few months and we have organised to get together on 3 separate occasions over the next few weeks So again I'll miss that target but again no regrets!

There is stuff on the challenge that is good. Am loving making an effort to get at least 20 mins of exercise a day - already seeing results I'm one of those people who only have to walk past a gym to start seeing results

Anyway yippee it's the weekend managed to *sleep in* until 6.40 planning on getting ready and going to the allotment in the next hour

What else?

* load of washing on & hang out when finished
    * do another load - need to get school uniform washed
    * go through fridge and make sure everything is used up
    * NSD hopefully
    * exercise target met from digging, weeding, raking and hoeing
    * not sure what we'll do as a family but when I get back we'll get ready and go out. Might go for a walk as haven't done that in a while
    * oh watching football this afternoon so might take madam to the library and park to give him some peace!
    * finally list some things on fleabay

Oh my I think that's all I need to do! Possibly more things will come along....

FVD amazing news on the job. I've found the transition from well paid ft job to pt job really easy on some levels and harder on others. The hardest thing is not having the money *in case* I wanted to spend it, iykwim? If I am invited out to several things that cost it's hard now to have to think what I can afford to do and say no to others. But the time to pursue things for myself, have space to think and breathe is priceless!

Happy weekend y'all!
    DF as at 30/12/16
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 9th Sep 17, 7:35 AM
    • 6,428 Posts
    • 36,615 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Purps I still can't get my head around your littlest is starting school same as madam. I honestly thought she was much older. But I realised your littlest must be an older child in the year - madam only recently turned 4 - and that she didn't come to us until she was 1. So that accounts for it! Head got around it now!
    DF as at 30/12/16
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 9th Sep 17, 7:53 AM
    • 478 Posts
    • 4,852 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    Morning all,

Todays going to be another spendy day but it is what it is!
    Ds needs a few more bits for his new school, I NEED new sports bras as I've lost some weight and they're not supporting me anymore! Ds 2 has an opticians appointment today too so we shall try and get everything done in one outing.
    Small things wise I will...
    * Check banking and update spreadsheets
    * Movie night with the kids again, we got an offer for half price cinema pass on NowTV so will find something to watch
    * Continue eating from stores
    * May call in at the library if the books dsd1 has reserved are available

That's all I can think of so far! Might be back to add more if we do anything

** Done a couple of surveys
    ** Cut open a bubble bath bottle for dh to finish properly
    Last edited by 1LuckyLady; 09-09-2017 at 8:15 AM.
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 9th Sep 17, 8:15 AM
    • 4,495 Posts
    • 34,324 Thanks
    DawnW
    Morning all
    I am not going to give up the challenge DNMS, even though I am going to fail on the NSD front - I find the exercise rule useful, and the grocery spending challenge, also the one about writing down all spends. And even the NSD rule makes me think about spending - I usually do better, but have had the luck (or otherwise) to find several things from my wants list for good prices this month But all in all, spending is going to be down for this month - until the end, when OH's golf club fees are due -wonder how that will go down?

Anyway, today's small things:
    Load of washing to be dried on line (hopefully, forecast isn't great) Done, finished on airer
    Process a load of French beans for freezer Done
    All food from home Lunch done, though nice food at party for last night
    Ironing (keep putting this off ) Done
    Should be a NSD Not done, OH bought fuel for the car I think I am probably being stricter than most others on the September challenge thread, but to me a NSD is when we don't spend anything (apart from the direct debit bills and OH frittering his personal spends, which I have no control over)
    Supposed to be going to a 50th birthday party tonight, and already have some nice wine to give as a present and a card in my stash. Might end up babysitting instead so that DD and her OH can go - don't mind either way, not mad on parties. Will send my love and the wine etc with OH (they are more his friends than mine, and work colleagues of DD's) We did go, weren't late back, but glad we showed our faces
    Rinsed out another shower gel container to use in lieu of bath foam - DS left several of these in the spare room ensuite and asked me to throw them in the bin Almost all used up and in recycling now!

Happy Saturday everyone
    PS, is Ally back from holiday yet?
    Last edited by DawnW; 10-09-2017 at 10:36 AM.
    SFDs for September 4/18
    • La escocesa
    • By La escocesa 9th Sep 17, 9:08 AM
    • 2,883 Posts
    • 18,184 Thanks
    La escocesa
    Well hello there pals

See, what did I tell ya, when you start tracking what 'not to do' that inner rebel finds a way. That's the case for me anyway.

FVD - well done on the job! That is awesome that you can make sure all your bills are covered and then have time to focus on your biz. Also, you can always do contracting in your current industry if you need something to fall back on...right? #winwin

DNMS - nice find on the perfect clothes!

1LL - defo make sure you get yourself supported!

My latest splurge was on a bellabeat - mum halved in with me so it *only* cost me £56.99. Anyway, so far I prefer it to my fitbit (which I got for free so it's not like that was a wasted purchase ), I can wear my regular watch that I love and my necklace buzzes if I don't move every hour - that'll keep me going today as I'm quite enjoying my current sofa set up...

It is chucking it down here!! PJ day on the cards!!! I really want to clean the conservatory (rock and roll ) and generally get the place sorted out.

OH is away today - should be back around 9pm - so I'll be head chef and bottle washer too.

STILL need to sort home insurance!! Kinda wanted to do it with OH here as he'll be the one saying 'my bike is worth this, my camera is worth that...'

Also need to scan and send an application form to an NHS dentist...

Also need to sort out job#2 Need to renew website domain, update website, bit of advertising, email folk etc...

Right, just a cuppa first and then I'll start (but I've just put netflix on...)
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 9th Sep 17, 10:26 AM
    • 3,327 Posts
    • 28,579 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Morning all
    Was so tired that I just slept as soon as I got home from work the past couple of days. I'm exhausted - first week back, new classes, new classroom, new role etc. It's had more positives than negatives but I'm really, really tired. I don't cope well with a lot of change at once and my stress levels are quite high.
    So today's plans are not that much. I've put the rubbish out, started the washing, washed the dishes and finished the online grocery order for the week ahead. I now plan to relax on my new sofa, try and finish a couple of crochet things I have on the go and rest. I'll have a day off and think about work again tomorrow.
    Might even nap when the boys go out to watch Sunderland lose at football later.
    NSTSeptember #32 NSD 8/18 RYSAW17 #1 £1313.42 20p Savers #88 £1 a day for Xmas # DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
    • La escocesa
    • By La escocesa 9th Sep 17, 10:38 AM
    • 2,883 Posts
    • 18,184 Thanks
    La escocesa
    My latest splurge was on a bellabeat - mum halved in with me so it *only* cost me £56.99. Anyway, so far I prefer it to my fitbit (which I got for free so it's not like that was a wasted purchase ), I can wear my regular watch that I love and my necklace buzzes if I don't move every hour - that'll keep me going today as I'm quite enjoying my current sofa set up...
    Originally posted by La escocesa
    I've had 3 buzzes so far this morning.. Must go turn off that feature

Oooh, I like your style CCL - defo take it easy and then a nice little nap - sounds perfect!
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 9th Sep 17, 11:21 AM
    • 4,792 Posts
    • 18,611 Thanks
    FatVonD
    I'm waiting for the carpenter, he's late, and I've been up since 9am, on a Saturday!

Once he arrives and I'm sure he knows exactly what I want I'm going to take myself upstairs to do some ironing and clothes putting away.

I popped to the shop earlier for some crumpets for breakfast/bin liners etc and managed to pay for it all with the last of the change from my boot sale. I never usually carry cash but this has allowed me to give my card a bit of a rest

I hope the carpenter doesn't take too long, he said half a day but if he can get it done in a couple of hours I'll be delighted, I can then paint it (I have some duck egg blue paint in garden store left by previous owners.) Tomorrow I should be able to set the computer back up and get a bit organised.

Have a good Saturday everyone!

• 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 9th Sep 17, 4:06 PM
    • 478 Posts
    • 4,852 Thanks
    1LuckyLady

1LL - defo make sure you get yourself supported!

Originally posted by La escocesa
    Glad I did as I've gone down from a 40e to a 36ff! 3 bra's bought but got from an outlet place so could have been a lot more expensive!
    Morning all,

Todays going to be another spendy day but it is what it is!
    Ds needs a few more bits for his new school, Bought him a new pair of trainers as he had to have a pair just for inside gym at school Also a usb drive/stick thingy, we'd checked the prices at amzon/currys but got one cheaper in town Bought him a new school bag too as the one he was using from last year isn't really big enough for the amount of things he needs to carry for secondary school. Also picked up a hoodie that he'll get from us for his birthday I NEED new sports bras as I've lost some weight and they're not supporting me anymore! Bra's bought, tried on a jumper in a smaller size, (last bought size 20) tried on an 18, then a 16 and bought 3 x size 14's whooo hooo Ds 2 has an opticians appointment today too so we shall try and get everything done in one outing. Ds2 now doesn't need to wear glasses for reading whilst in town we also looked in the Oxfam book shop but there wasn't anything dh wanted this time but always worth a look
    Small things wise I will...
    * Check banking and update spreadsheets
    * Movie night with the kids again, we got an offer for half price cinema pass on NowTV so will find something to watch
    * Continue eating from stores
    * May call in at the library if the books dsd1 has reserved are available

That's all I can think of so far! Might be back to add more if we do anything

** Done a couple of surveys
    ** Cut open a bubble bath bottle for dh to finish properly
    Originally posted by 1LuckyLady
    Had a really productive morning and thrilled with my new bra's/ jumpers Dh suggested having breakfast out but I said we'd eat before we went, then as it was gone 2pm when we got out of specsavers he said about eating lunch out, I said it would be quicker to drive home (only a 10min drive) and make ourselves a sandwich, so that's what we did
    Also bought 3 2018 calendar's, one for me and one each for the kids (they asked for one each last Christmas and again for this year ) Nice and easy as they were £2 in THe works.
    Got a joint of meat and some stewed rhubarb out of the freezer ready for tomorrows family lunch

Last edited by 1LuckyLady; 09-09-2017 at 4:12 PM.
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 9th Sep 17, 4:46 PM
    • 3,628 Posts
    • 17,639 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Dawn/DNMS,
    I've been thinking quite a lot about the Challenge & why NSDs don't seem to be much of a motivator for me on the money-saving front. Before the LBM (I was a naughty spendy girl for many, many years....), the concept of a NSD would have been incredible......defo only would have happened if I was too physically poorly to get to the shops, like if I had flu or anything! I've thought about NSDs as a motivator so much this last few days, it's almost become like an essay question: "The NSD is a highly useful money-saving tool - Discuss". I'm going to stay in the September Challenge because I needed re-focussing & it's definitely helping with that. However, I won't hit that NSD target, mostly because I'm not really trying as my budgeting/money ethos doesn't really hinge on how many NSDs I have but on how effectively I stick to my budgets over the course of a month. So, on 27th Aug, I set our September budget. If we stick to each & every pot of money within that overall budget during September, then we will be ok & finish with a surplus. Although mr f & I are vastly reformed characters these days, there have been quite a few little things creeping in where I've said " Oh, let's stick it on visa debit.....our account can stand it". And that's true. I wouldn't say it if it would make us overdrawn, but what happens is that our surplus, the 'cushion' of money I leave there each month for emergencies, is eroded by stuff we didn't really need, or which could have waited until the next month's budget. So, I have no problem spending some money every day AS LONG AS it has already been committed to the relevant budget. The September Challenge is definitely helping re-focus me, but I think that for October, I will set a personal challenge for our own household budget that after I have set the figures for each part of the budget......groceries, personal spends, etc, then NO additional money will be spent, so as to maximise surplus for rebuilding savings (badly hit by some remedial building work, a new washing machine & vacuum). I think i could be quite strict with this. It's easy just to spend £3 or £4 on a little craft spend or a little bit of a vintage item from the charity shop, but they do add up, so for October, I will abandon any target for NSDs & kind of work my own system. Interesting to read that you are both feeling kind of similar with the NSDs. I am staying with the challenge though, as other parts of it are helping.......am a bit wobbly over the £10 beauty spend, but doing ok & sticking to it!
    Better kick my list on now.
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = £120
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £210 2017 = £246
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

587Posts Today

5,910Users online

Martin's Twitter