Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 4th Sep 17, 6:39 AM
    • 6,573Posts
    • 37,898Thanks
    determined new ms
    What small DFW things will you do this week? w/c 4 September
    • 4th Sep 17, 6:39 AM
    What small DFW things will you do this week? w/c 4 September 4th Sep 17 at 6:39 AM
    What small DFW things will you do this week - w/c 4 September
    When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling '16 £287.33 Roadkill £28.25
    Wombling YTD £2982.2/Roadkill £8.63
    SFDs Oct 13/15 CC saved £2372.50
Page 2
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 5th Sep 17, 6:24 AM
    • 6,573 Posts
    • 37,898 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Morning quick post while drinking coffee before jumping in the shower - will use my egg timer thingy

Thanks for the weel wishes for dgd she had a good 1st day and so her anxiety levels are reducing and she's returning to her lovely self. Today I leave for work early and oh is on drop off duty.

Things for today

* call bed people as bed wasn't delivered it's now coming tomorrow....
    * work hard & efficiently. Leave promptly at 2 loving the new work hours at 12.10 I glanced at the clock and saw I only had 1hr 50 mins left. I can do anything for 2 hours
    * take sandwich and snacks to work
    * photo & list things on fleabay
    * make a batch of roasted tom sauce & freeze in portions
    * bake courgette cake
    * chop and freeze any runner beans not used today
    * NSD
    * flylady
    * take up madam's jeans
    * mixed bean goulash for tea mmmmmmm

Ok that'll do better go and get in the shower. Have a great day y'all x
    Last edited by determined new ms; 05-09-2017 at 5:12 PM.
    DF as at 30/12/16
    • La escocesa
    • By La escocesa 5th Sep 17, 7:02 AM
    • 2,926 Posts
    • 18,510 Thanks
    La escocesa
    Morning

Glad madam had a good first day DNMS.

Gosh it's ugly outside - can just hear the rain pummelling down on the conservatory roof. It's quite cosy when you don't need to go anywhere...!

Need to sort lunch for work. Have a little bit of leftovers but not enough really... Maybe it will be enough with some fruit/yoghurt added in...

Checked banking/YNAB - all boring there

Need to check CC statement to make sure I've paid off everything that's gone onto it this month. Shame about the rest of the balance (kitchen...)

Not sure what's for tea tonight - will have a rummage of the cupboards....

Happy Tuesday everyone
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 5th Sep 17, 7:17 AM
    • 1,922 Posts
    • 12,902 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Morning all very autumnal here and we're forecast rain all day, so no washing here today. Other things planned though, WFH again so hoping to get through a decent chunk:

Check banking - all ok
    Check cc to see if payments have updated
    Make boozy blackberry jam will fruit left over from the liqueur I made yesterday. Will use BM
    Make pasty for quiche - didn't do yesterday
    Make sausage plait for tea, use few bits of veg knocking about to go with
    Some form of exercise later, hoping for a run
    Maybe pop to town whilst smalls are at school, have return still to go back and library books too. Also want to take my boots in to be heeled, feels like I'll be wearing them soon at this rate
    Frozen banana for breakfast smoothie. Only 147 to go

Right, must drink this coffee and get on with somethings. Enjoy your day. Purps.
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 5th Sep 17, 8:36 AM
    • 4,616 Posts
    • 35,456 Thanks
    DawnW
    I took a look at the OS preparing for winter thread. I don't think conditions are ever going to be so harsh down sarf that I will need to cook on a camping stove but it makes me look forward to winter.
    Originally posted by FatVonD
    I live in the SW, and we get power cuts lasting several hours now and then, which means if you are all electric and want a cuppa you need to get the camping stove and kettle out (one reason I bought a gas cooker when we finally moved somewhere where gas is available). Not necessarily in winter, but usually due to power lines or sub stations being damaged by weather, falling trees or whatever. London is probably much more reliable, but outside of big cities it can be an issue even for us soft southerners

Anyway, just started pouring with rain here today - OH won't be happy as he has gone to play golf My list looks like this:
    Walk dog if it stops raining (no way he is going out in that, he says!) Done
    Ring dog groomer re dog's needed haircut and hairdresser re changing date for mine, and do not get appointments muddled Done
    Check banks Still to do
    Clean bathroom Done
    Check for surveys Not many today!
    Take new stock to sales unit, bring back some of the unsold stuff and put it away Done, phew! I should be thinner than I am, with all that traipsing up and down stairs with boxes!
    Try and avoid going supermarket shopping for another day This largely depends on whether OH is happy to eat what we have got (still a considerable amount) rather than preferred cereal etc that we have run out of. OH decided to take himself off to the supermarket, forgot the list, forgot his flippin cereal but at least only spent £9.15. He even managed to get 4 of the things off my list, more by luck than judgment I am sure
    OH did at least return an unused pot of the paint he bought the other day for a refund
    HM meals from plan, pork steaks, HM oven chips (Hairy Bikers diet ones) and vegetables planned for dinner, leftover pasta or fridge bits for lunch Done
    Go through fridge to see what needs using or freezing included some mushrooms with dinner, sliced and froze the rest.
    Used some French beans and a big tomato with dinner
    Used up 2 gifted but not very nice pears by peeling and chopping, mixing with some apple slices from the freezer and the bowl of raspberries picked yesterday, and adding a crumble topping
    Also made a batch of scones

There will probably be more, let's see what the day brings
    Last edited by DawnW; 05-09-2017 at 8:14 PM.
    Food/ household/supermarket spends for November - £261.76 / £250
    NSDs for November 12/12

• FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 5th Sep 17, 10:44 AM
    • 4,953 Posts
    • 19,649 Thanks
    FatVonD
    I think I would quite enjoy that, Dawn, as long as it didn't last too long! I'm kind of in awe of harsh weather conditions, I love the sea when it's rough and I love listening to the Radio 4 shipping forecast I've just read a book about a woman hoarding supplies to quarantine her family when a virus was sweeping Australia and many times I thought about y'all and how we'd probably all be survivors eating from our cupboards and drinking out of our water butts etc

Today is get down to business day (once I've finished my tea that is ) I need to find my tax reference to register to sell as a company on Amazon, register with the barcode people and find out how they are supplied and find somewhere to generate them if needed. I need to ring the printers, in an ideal world I'd like to go down to have a look round but I will compile a long list of questions and see if I can do it on the phone.

I have someone interested in some diet drinks I got free from work so hopefully they will collect and pay today.

I'll have crumpets for breakfast and may defrost some ham for ham, egg and chips later, all of which I already have in so no need to spend
    Make £5 a day in November £36.28/£150 (October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54)
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 5th Sep 17, 10:54 AM
    • 356 Posts
    • 2,909 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    DNMS- I'm so glad that madam had a good first day at school, I miss those days.

I have been trying to read along where I could. where I was staying for the sporting competition the signal was shocking.I am so overtired it is untrue. I would have to be up at 5.30am to make sure everyone was where they should be. I also ate so much with 3 square meals a day that I have just gone off food.
    Arrived home Sunday night and had the decorator and plumber coming in with further decorating and to put in a heated towel rail yesterday. Didn't really want yesterday but it was the best time to get the plumber and a good job as well as he found the boiler was leaking-I thought the cat sitter had been a bit enthusiastic with the cat bowl washing when I found a pool of water!!
    DD did well, double gold and has been picked up by GB.
    No spends at the competition, and decorator monies all ready and accounted for.
    Have to buy a few bits to for DD for uni, will be an expensive start to the month, but it should even out with just feeding me once she goes the end of next week, then it will be keeping monies aside to help her with her sporting competitions.
    Her boyfriend is coming to stay at the weekend, apparently he likes his food and eats like a horse, so I am ready to raid my stocks and will also get some shopping in at Tesc@-they have sent me thru some new vouchers and the tinned cat food that my gang like is 25p a pack cheaper there.
    Have a good day everyone, even though the weather is miserable x
    Last edited by Happy Kitties; 05-09-2017 at 10:58 AM. Reason: spelling
    2017 birthday savings so far thru shopping frugally = 228.72 284.31 306.81 481.15:money.
    April grocery challenge £171.21/ £200 May GC £248.47/£190 June GC £87.69/ £190
    • Lottebear
    • By Lottebear 5th Sep 17, 11:11 AM
    • 747 Posts
    • 3,284 Thanks
    Lottebear
    Hello Everyone,

So far so good, yesterday was a NSD!

Went foraging for sloes
    DD had a friend over and they played all morning.
    Went to the park

I have cashed in £40 from survey and working towards others, purchased another Christmas gift, the stash is growing...

Food at home today, left over pasta meatballs tonight.
    Might go to softplay as it raining.

Keep a watchful eye on the budget as I not working currently, I have put 2 spends on my CC so I need to keep some money back for them.

I need to keep an eye on my gas bill as it has gone up dramatically but I don't know why. I thing the clock might be incorrectly set.
    • Kittychick
    • By Kittychick 5th Sep 17, 11:16 AM
    • 221 Posts
    • 541 Thanks
    Kittychick
    Only things in the pipeline for today is freezer lunches and then a small tea before we go to pub quiz tonight where supper is included.
    Got some ironing to do but not sure I'll be that good today!
    Written a list of items I want to get finished for stall I've got booked for Xmas, if they don't sell they'll do for Xmas presents/etsy/donations
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 5th Sep 17, 12:21 PM
    • 1,922 Posts
    • 12,902 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Well done to your daughter happy kitties :
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 5th Sep 17, 1:56 PM
    • 4,953 Posts
    • 19,649 Thanks
    FatVonD
    The girl did good, HappyKitties, you must be so proud!

I'm having a quick cup of tea before ringing the printer but I have:

Registered to sell on Amazon
    Bought my domain (though won't put up a shop for a bit)
    Registered to get my first 1,000 bar codes, should keep me going for a while

I'm waiting for someone to ring me back to talk about product liability insurance.
    Make £5 a day in November £36.28/£150 (October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54)
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 5th Sep 17, 6:03 PM
    • 3,369 Posts
    • 28,915 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    I've had a bit of a stinker of a day to be honest. Day 1 of teaching and there are already a number of kids with a really bad attitude at school. I've never had to get kids into trouble on the first day, ever, until today. Not happy...
    Then dd got sent home from school for wearing the 'wrong shoes'. They are all in new, very expensive uniform and the specification was formal, leather shoes. I got her suede, which apparently classes as canvas and not leather. You don't want to know how angry I am. Thankfully we'd bought 2 pairs of shoes so she had another, smooth leather pair to go back in. I'm much more angry that they sent her home without my permission when there was nobody home for her...
    Plus I was stuck in traffic for over an hour this morning even getting to school in the first place.
    On the brighter side, I'm home now, the cleaner has been and it's my telly night. So feet up!
    NSTSeptember #32 NSD 8/18 RYSAW17 #1 £1313.42 20p Savers #88 £1 a day for Xmas # DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 5th Sep 17, 7:35 PM
    • 4,953 Posts
    • 19,649 Thanks
    FatVonD
    That sounds like a mare of a day, CCL, enjoy putting your feet up!
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 5th Sep 17, 8:04 PM
    • 4,953 Posts
    • 19,649 Thanks
    FatVonD
    I have designed my first three cards, that's the easy/fun bit for me, getting to grips with Amazon is going to be the difficult bit!

I've sold three things on ebay (all the same but listed them separately) all to the same person and they went on when the fees were capped at £1. They will cost a bit to send but I think I'll still make about £45

The FB person decided against the diet stuff, despite telling her I am home all week and she could pick it up any time she liked apparently she couldn't make it
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 6th Sep 17, 6:53 AM
    • 1,922 Posts
    • 12,902 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Morning happy hump day hope today is better cat yesterday sounds far from ideal, al least after today you're nearer to the weekend than not.

My list for today:
    Check banking - done. Only £16.27 left in the bills account and I don't get paid until next Friday BUT only £16.27 of DD to come out I love budgeting
    Check surveys, FPL
    Both smalls at school and I'm officially on 'holiday' but have a bit of work to do, will try and get some jobs done
    Want to remove last of wardrobes from our bedroom
    Sort through three boxes from my business that are in there,
    Take return back to town and library books (been procrastinating about this for ages) they have at least made it to my car
    Not buy anything else in town
    Freeze some stuff from fridge, made a large quiche yesterday which I will portion up and there is left over sausage plait from tea
    Some knitting tonight
    Put present away I bought yesterday that was on offer
    Lots of washing and dry outside whilst it's not raining

Enjoy your day peeps. Hope you didn't get too wet yesterdayfoxgloves today looks better.
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 6th Sep 17, 7:01 AM
    • 6,573 Posts
    • 37,898 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Morning ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh my 2nd and last day off of the week so far I am LOVING my new working pattern. I worked hard & was productive yesterday, looked at the clock and it was 12.10 and only had 1.50 hrs left till the end of the day Long may it continue! I need something to pep me up at work...

House currently asleep and I've had the last hour to drink coffee, journal, and just generally gather my thoughts

Today:

* get madam ready for school - we're still trying to work out our morning schedule, which still needs some work! Madam's anxiety about school is meaning she is being less than cooperative at times Today's mantra - I will be calm! we cracked it! trialed a new routine -
    she can watch ipad while she drinks hot chocolate for 10 mins and I put the timer on the ipad. When it shuts down she then came hnd had breakfast, got dressed and ready and then she had 15 mins more of ipad/play time while I finished getting ready. Phew last 2 mornings had been stressful but today was serene, everyone happy and peaceful. Made a difference on the way to school she was much more loving and happy

* put lo's in tupperware for oh's lunch
    * freeze portion of bean goulash for dinner for me another night
    * going to the lottie first thing after dropping madam off. Will take a flask of coffee I am now starting on the autumn clear up. Hoping to dig over a reasonable patch
    * bed being delivered today. Keeping fingers crossed it will be delivered before I pick up madam as today it's the first ballet day of term... Take book to have 45 mins of reading time
    * Check tyre pressure & clean car
    * make a batch of roasted tom sauce and freeze in portions
    * bake cake while oven is on
    * check meal plan and get something out of freezer for oh & madam. I'll have some of the leftovers in the fridge
    * exercise for free 10 mins power walk back from school drop off and then did 10 mins hula hooping
    * housework
    * load of washing out on the line. Machine refilled with a wash to do tonight (so I can get it on the line before work tomorrow )
    * have batch made pancakes for breakfast or freeze so they don't go to waste
    * speak to mil about coming to collect madam with me either today or tomorrow so she knows where she needs to go Friday
    * soak bag of chickpeas to make some hummous later. Will freeze in 200gm portions what isn't needed for hummous
    * SFD
    * read the newsletter
    * check banking & do money shuffle
    * onepoll

Oh my that's loads! I need to remember she's only at school for 6 hours!

Ok going to finish my coffee and go and wake madam. Happy hump day guys x
    Last edited by determined new ms; 06-09-2017 at 5:52 PM.
    DF as at 30/12/16
    • La escocesa
    • By La escocesa 6th Sep 17, 7:03 AM
    • 2,926 Posts
    • 18,510 Thanks
    La escocesa
    Hey lovely ladies

Love the cards FVD! I can see you at doing this full time. I watched dragons den the other night with the woman selling her knitted hats for £50 and wondered why I still haven't got my 'not on the high street' shop set up yet...

CCL - I would be so fuming with your DD's school and sending them the definition of suede vs canvas. How shocking that they didn't check anyone was home.

HK - Great news about your daughter

Big hugs to everyone else!

I need to get into work early today - finishing early to take pooch face to the vets for his annual check.

Also desperately need to get home insurance sorted this eve given ridiculous renewal quote sent from current provider. There's no way I'm going with them on principal since they rejected my cashback claim after I bought last year's policy.

I went shopping yesterday with my 8% discount card. I honestly believe the 3 for £10 at M&S is the best deal... (Please let me know if you think I could've got this cheaper...)Yesterday I got 8 marinated chicken legs, 2 x lamb leg steaks, 2 x sea bass fillets for just £9.20 with my discount (think the sea bass is about £5.50 on its own!), then also got 6 venison sausages and 8 really nice looking pieces of bacon for £4.60. Then a trip to the veg man at the market - got a massive bag full for £8.50. So that is most of my weekly shop for £22.30. I can then get little top up bits and pieces - milk, bread, snacks for work - and we will be sorted for £30 a week.

Just the usual for me food wise:
    - Cheapo porridge brekkie
    - Packed lunch
    - Batch cooking tonight or at least sorting tomorrow's packed lunch if not

Coming home at lunch time - no day care for pooch face.

Oooh, might this be another NSD if my only spend is the £5 work parking?!?!? No, wait, I need to spend around £120 on home insurance...

Must dash my lovely lot!
    • La escocesa
    • By La escocesa 6th Sep 17, 7:04 AM
    • 2,926 Posts
    • 18,510 Thanks
    La escocesa
    Morning you too - sneaked in while I was posting
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 6th Sep 17, 7:33 AM
    • 6,573 Posts
    • 37,898 Thanks
    determined new ms
    morning you sounds like a productive day ahead!

Meat deal seems like a goodun I'm debating whether to buy a whole lamb. Cost is £100 but you get loads of meat! £100 seems a lot when I don't even eat meat might see if anyone wants to split it....
    DF as at 30/12/16
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 6th Sep 17, 8:13 AM
    • 1,922 Posts
    • 12,902 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    morning you sounds like a productive day ahead!

Meat deal seems like a goodun I'm debating whether to buy a whole lamb. Cost is £100 but you get loads of meat! £100 seems a lot when I don't even eat meat might see if anyone wants to split it....
    Originally posted by determined new ms
    I'd definitely buy it if it was me, but then I do love lamb but that's an excellent price, lamb is so darn expensive

La e sounds barginous, may have a look whilst I'm in town although our marks in only tiny. I get 8% discount too and I've not thought of spending it on food before
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 6th Sep 17, 9:01 AM
    • 356 Posts
    • 2,909 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Morning everyone
    Still shattered, my body is still suffering after the weekend.
    Want to try and get a productive day in today. The house is still upside down after the decorator being in. Would like it to be fairly decent with DD boyfriend coming to stay this weekend.
    Hoping B@Q will be kind later, I have some paint to take back but threw the receipt after the close of last month's budget. I can't believe I have been such a muppet. I do need other bits from there so hoping they will be nice.
    Thank you for everyone's kind wishes regarding DD. She leaves for uni a week on Friday and will start on an elite athlete program along with doing her degree. This was so unexpected, the aim is Tokyo, just have to see where it leads DD. Even though she is in catered accommodation, we have a build up of snacks and bars going on, I buy everytime I see a special offer.
    Also hunted round for a deal for a quilt for DD, managed to buy one in Matal@n that was reduced.
    I also picked up a couple of bits that have been reduced in the going back to school sale in asd@ that will make fab presents for next year, I'm not going to update my present total until 2018. have several birthday presents ready for next year.
    Banking and DD all checked, household finances doing really well.
    I'm with purps I love this budgeting, I certainly wouldn't have been doing this a few years ago.
    CCL here's hoping that you have a better day today, what an awful start yesterday.
    Right best get myself moving or its never going to happen.
    Have a great day everyone x
    2017 birthday savings so far thru shopping frugally = 228.72 284.31 306.81 481.15:money.
    April grocery challenge £171.21/ £200 May GC £248.47/£190 June GC £87.69/ £190
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

742Posts Today

6,165Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin