Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Habib2342
    • By Habib2342 3rd Sep 17, 9:19 PM
    • 69Posts
    • 5Thanks
    Habib2342
    Speeding Offence RR84061
    • 3rd Sep 17, 9:19 PM
    Speeding Offence RR84061 3rd Sep 17 at 9:19 PM
    Hello,

Back in April 2017 , i was caught by the police doing 50 mph in a 30mph restricted road. Indefensible yes, but the court wants to charge me an extortionate £474 and 6 points on my licence for this violation which took them five months to issue the fine. . the fee consists of :

£85 -prosecutor costs - fair enough
    Fined £354.00. -??????? what exactly is this ?
    To pay a surcharge to fund victim services of £35.00 - I would understand if I had injured someone or something but it was a sliproad coming off the motorway where the signage was not clear- i.e it had not reduce speed signage but had the 50 and 30 mph circle signs. Plus it was not a residential road so ...why ?

I live in NW London but the fine had been issued by Bromley Magistrates court which is in SE London- someone explain the logic in that ?

I accept the 6 points on my license as obviously the plea I made online was not enough to encourage the judge to show mercy for this serious indiscretion and I am not against paying a fine but I think the amount they have issued me is a bit excessive. I would've though something in the region of 100-200 pounds would be fair, but 474 is just

What are people thoughts ? should I contest it or suck it up like a man and pay it off ? its a good thing I'm cycling now as over relying on the car has made me overweight, irritable, and half asleep, which leads to other things, etc...

have to setup a standing order nad pay if off over 6 months...lets see what the court says...
Page 3
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 5th Sep 17, 8:27 AM
    • 15,096 Posts
    • 13,415 Thanks
    AdrianC
    I totally agree, that 50 in a 30 limit deserves a harsh fine, because the 30 limits are where you find most pedestrians, who would be killed outright by a car hitting them at that speed.
    Originally posted by andygb
    Just as well he didn't kill a pedestrian on that motorway sliproad, eh?
    • martinsurrey
    • By martinsurrey 5th Sep 17, 9:24 AM
    • 3,072 Posts
    • 3,753 Thanks
    martinsurrey
    Just as well he didn't kill a pedestrian on that motorway sliproad, eh?
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    or a workman,

slip roads are 30 when either there are road works, or the slip road is right next to residential roads, this is London, houses built 10 yards from motorways are the norm, and kids will be (stupid)kids
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 5th Sep 17, 9:37 AM
    • 15,096 Posts
    • 13,415 Thanks
    AdrianC
    or a workman,

slip roads are 30 when either there are road works, or the slip road is right next to residential roads, this is London, houses built 10 yards from motorways are the norm, and kids will be (stupid)kids
    Originally posted by martinsurrey
    This is about the only "M'way" (it isn't, but...) junction that could be easily termed Uxbridge, which is where the OP said it happened.

And, oh, look - 30 limit part-way up the slip...

West - https://goo.gl/maps/36EFfbYHJxx
    East - https://goo.gl/maps/RDhCoFBmPzu
    • takman
    • By takman 5th Sep 17, 10:04 AM
    • 2,628 Posts
    • 2,186 Thanks
    takman
    On a side note i'm not sure what a weekly wage is for me. I don't do a 9-5 office job. My wage varies from week to week and often not by a small amount either. Is it a week where i work a Saturday or not? A week where i do a ton of overtime (say 65 hours) or a week where i'm only doing 47.5 hours (the least we can do without sick days & early leave). A week where i've taken sick days? A week where i've had 1 or 2 early finishes? An average over a set timeframe, say 12 weeks which may be a lot more than the 12 weeks prior to that?

What is a week?
    Originally posted by JustAnotherSaver
    Where do they pluck this figure of £440 from? I certainly don't earn £400 never mind £440.
    Originally posted by JustAnotherSaver
    Are you sure?, if your doing between 47.5 - 65 hours a week even on minimum wage that's between £356.25 - £487.5 per week. So overtime will easily push the average up over the year.
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 5th Sep 17, 10:41 AM
    • 23,844 Posts
    • 50,493 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    hastings direct- they will be sending out an email and letters in the post detailing when i have to make the extra payment...

I accept it was my own doing but had no idea the penalty would be so harsh after 11 years of an unblemished driving record not being caught...still goes to show what will happen if you get complacent/take driving for granted....
    Originally posted by habib2342
    . .
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 5th Sep 17, 12:16 PM
    • 15,143 Posts
    • 14,757 Thanks
    Guest101
    Hello,

Back in April 2017 , i was caught by the police doing 50 mph in a 30mph restricted road. Indefensible yes, but the court wants to charge me an extortionate £474 and 6 points on my licence for this violation which took them five months to issue the fine. . the fee consists of :

£85 -prosecutor costs - fair enough - Standard
    Fined £354.00. -??????? what exactly is this ? - this is your punishment, it's typically based upon your income. Did you provide an income and expenditure form to the court?
    To pay a surcharge to fund victim services of £35.00 - Standard- I would understand if I had injured someone or something but it was a sliproad coming off the motorway where the signage was not clear- i.e it had not reduce speed signage but had the 50 and 30 mph circle signs. Plus it was not a residential road so ...why ? - it's a fixed fee

I live in NW London but the fine had been issued by Bromley Magistrates court which is in SE London- someone explain the logic in that ? - Local court to the offence I presume?

I accept the 6 points on my license as obviously the plea I made online was not enough to encourage the judge to show mercy for this serious indiscretion and I am not against paying a fine but I think the amount they have issued me is a bit excessive. I would've though something in the region of 100-200 pounds would be fair, but 474 is just - But you didn't go to court?

What are people thoughts ? should I contest it or suck it up like a man and pay it off ? its a good thing I'm cycling now as over relying on the car has made me overweight, irritable, and half asleep, which leads to other things, etc...

have to setup a standing order nad pay if off over 6 months...lets see what the court says...
    Originally posted by Habib2342
    Is that what the court said, 6 months to pay?
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 5th Sep 17, 1:56 PM
    • 498 Posts
    • 191 Thanks
    sevenhills
    This is about the only "M'way" (it isn't, but...) junction that could be easily termed Uxbridge, which is where the OP said it happened.

It does make you wonder how they come up with these maximum speeds, 30 mph should be for people crossing the road.

• Car 54
    • By Car 54 5th Sep 17, 2:11 PM
    • 2,237 Posts
    • 1,436 Thanks
    Car 54
    It does make you wonder how they come up with these maximum speeds, 30 mph should be for people crossing the road.
    Originally posted by sevenhills
    Which is probably why it's been applied in this example, on the approach to a zebra crossing.
    • kmb500
    • By kmb500 5th Sep 17, 3:14 PM
    • 380 Posts
    • 99 Thanks
    kmb500
    there's quite a simple solution dude, only speed when it's not busy and when there are no police or cameras around!
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 5th Sep 17, 6:08 PM
    • 498 Posts
    • 191 Thanks
    sevenhills
    Which is probably why it's been applied in this example, on the approach to a zebra crossing.
    Originally posted by Car 54
    So the pedestrians can cross safely.

• Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 5th Sep 17, 10:29 PM
    • 1,376 Posts
    • 915 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    there's quite a simple solution dude, only speed when it's not busy and when there are no police or cameras around!
    Originally posted by kmb500
    There's an even simpler one 'dude', don't speed. Full Stop. Don't break the law and you won't be a criminal.
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 6th Sep 17, 12:49 PM
    • 517 Posts
    • 640 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    There's an even simpler one 'dude', don't speed. Full Stop. Don't break the law and you won't be a criminal.
    Originally posted by Mercdriver
    Exactly. The laws are there for (mostly sensible) safety reasons, not as a challenge.
    If everyone would just drive according to the road and traffic conditions and not to their own, self assessed abilities or those of their vehicle, then there's be no real need for speed limits.
    • martinsurrey
    • By martinsurrey 6th Sep 17, 3:23 PM
    • 3,072 Posts
    • 3,753 Thanks
    martinsurrey

thank you for proving my point, the 30 signs are a few hundred meters before a pedestrian crossing, next to a residential area.
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 6th Sep 17, 4:04 PM
    • 2,237 Posts
    • 1,436 Thanks
    Car 54
    So the pedestrians can cross safely.
    Do you really think a zebra crossing on a 70 mph road would be safe?

AFAIK they are only installed on roads limited to 30 or less.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 6th Sep 17, 4:12 PM
    • 15,096 Posts
    • 13,415 Thanks
    AdrianC

They're legal on roads of any limit, but "discouraged" on roads with 85th percentile speeds above 35mph.
    Here's one on the sliproad onto a 70mph trunk A-road...
    https://goo.gl/maps/9VsktcyhgNE2
    ...and the exit slip the other side...
    https://goo.gl/maps/qE32tCmRo6M2

In addition, there's plenty of traffic-light controlled pedestrian crossings on NSL dual carriageways.
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 6th Sep 17, 5:03 PM
    • 243 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt

Not true..
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 6th Sep 17, 5:47 PM
    • 2,237 Posts
    • 1,436 Thanks
    Car 54

In addition, there's plenty of traffic-light controlled pedestrian crossings on NSL dual carriageways.
    True, but that's because zebras are "discouraged"!
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 6th Sep 17, 6:18 PM
    • 498 Posts
    • 191 Thanks
    sevenhills
    thank you for proving my point, the 30 signs are a few hundred meters before a pedestrian crossing, next to a residential area.
    Originally posted by martinsurrey
    When I click on one link, there are no paths, if I click on the other link, there is only a path on one side.
    I am sure pedestrian crossings make our roads safer, its where there are no assisted crossing places that there are more accidents.

• Habib2342
    • By Habib2342 6th Sep 17, 10:50 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Habib2342
    ok so this is where the actual offence occurred back in April

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.5498699,-0.437227,3a,75y,280.81h,72.67t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sY4duqN_mP5Jv0JJSJKdHTQ!2e0!6s% 2F%2Fgeo3.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DY4duqN_mP5Jv0 JJSJKdHTQ%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dsearc h.TACTILE.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D96%26h%3D64%26yaw% 3D138.37665%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8 i6656!5m1!1e1?hl=en

As you can see it’s a slip road coming off the motorway. If you click all the way down the road, you will see three speed limit signs, 2@ 50 m.ph and then one at 30.mph towards where the houses are. What would have been really helpful is to have had another sign stating ‘REDUCE SPEED NOW-RESIDENTIAL AREA APPROACHING ‘ .

I've set up a standing order to pay off the fine over the next 6 months in addition to having 2 weeks to pay another £240 to my insurer to pay for them for the increased risk the SP30 incident had caused me...so there is no point in arguing...people on this thread want my blood...but don't worry the authorities are taking that in the form of half of my monthly wage,,so you lot can feel satisfied. Not everyone who speeds is a serial offender or has gotten away with it ( yes I'm talking to you Landyandy...)

Anway im sure I’m not the first person to be done for speeding and I’m sure I won’t be the last. At least I’m not as bad as the taxi driver caught doing 80 m.p.h over speed bumps around a largely residential area see http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/10225023/Driver-caught-doing-80-mph-in-a-30-mph-zone-criticised.html and http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3963044/Taxi-driver-caught-dashcam-speeding-city-streets-80mph-learning-partner-seeing-man.html
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 6th Sep 17, 10:55 PM
    • 15,096 Posts
    • 13,415 Thanks
    AdrianC
    The link's not working for me.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,507Posts Today

7,455Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @KCMurdarasi: @MartinSLewis Only 2 fluently, but I can struggle by in another 5 or so. And ask the way to the toilet in about 10 - you d?

• Today's twitter poll: How many languages do you speak (inc Eng) with reasonable fluency (eg can have decent phone chat solely in that lang)

• RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• Follow Martin