Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PinkChampagne
    • By PinkChampagne 3rd Sep 17, 9:04 PM
    • 29Posts
    • 3Thanks
    PinkChampagne
    Virgin Money and their shocking customer service hours.
    • 3rd Sep 17, 9:04 PM
    Virgin Money and their shocking customer service hours. 3rd Sep 17 at 9:04 PM
    This is a rant post and a warning to others.

On Friday I arrived in Lima and withdrew some cash from the ATM within the luggage area. Since then I've paid in cash and
    My card has always been with me. Now today Sunday I've tried using my card at 6 ATMs and I was unable to withdraw money. No luck. I tried to use card in a restaurant and it was declined. Luckily
    I had cash. I called Virgin Money to find out what was wrong with my card and they said it's active but we can't help you, you need to call back at 8am. Bearing in mind I'm in South America not next door. I asked the guy can you check my balance and he said he can't. I've checked my balance and there is money there. He offered to cancel my card when he doesn't even know what is wrong with it.
    My belief my card was skimmed at the airport.

My problem is how can a bank not provide any assistance or even check your account when we live in a 24/7 banking society. I have to now have to wait 11 hours, stressing to find out what is going on exactly. Their online banking doesn't update over weekends even though other banks do so all I can do is speculate for 11 hours.
Page 1
    • EarthBoy
    • By EarthBoy 3rd Sep 17, 9:53 PM
    • 1,759 Posts
    • 1,074 Thanks
    EarthBoy
    • 3rd Sep 17, 9:53 PM
    • 3rd Sep 17, 9:53 PM
    If you wanted a 24/7 telephone service you should have checked whether Virgin provided one before you opened your account with them. They are not alone in having limited telephone hours.
    • PinkChampagne
    • By PinkChampagne 3rd Sep 17, 9:57 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    PinkChampagne
    • 3rd Sep 17, 9:57 PM
    • 3rd Sep 17, 9:57 PM
    This is the first time I've come across a bank which doesn't offer 24/7 service. The read only I could deal with as it's only for travelling. Generally checking if a bank offers 24/7 service is not something I would normally check for first.

Thank you for your advice.
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 3rd Sep 17, 10:00 PM
    • 8,700 Posts
    • 13,272 Thanks
    worried jim
    • 3rd Sep 17, 10:00 PM
    • 3rd Sep 17, 10:00 PM
    Always travel with more than one card in case of issue and for travel make sure you have a Monzo or Revolut account.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • PinkChampagne
    • By PinkChampagne 3rd Sep 17, 10:02 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    PinkChampagne
    • 3rd Sep 17, 10:02 PM
    • 3rd Sep 17, 10:02 PM
    Luckily I came with a back up card which will keep me going for a week (here for a month). I've never heard of the other two will have a look into them.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 4th Sep 17, 9:42 AM
    • 18,541 Posts
    • 14,267 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 4th Sep 17, 9:42 AM
    • 4th Sep 17, 9:42 AM
    Why do you think your card was skimmed? If the balance in the account is what you would expect then no money has been taken, which would be the point of skimming. I'd suspect comms problems between Peru and VISA/Mastercard (not sure which this card is) and/or Virgin Money.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 4th Sep 17, 9:56 AM
    • 30,282 Posts
    • 19,155 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 4th Sep 17, 9:56 AM
    • 4th Sep 17, 9:56 AM
    Luckily I came with a back up card which will keep me going for a week (here for a month). I've never heard of the other two will have a look into them.
    Originally posted by PinkChampagne
    Not sure where you have been but both cards have been mentioned on here and Revolut has been mentioned on HUKD.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • PinkChampagne
    • By PinkChampagne 4th Sep 17, 12:45 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    PinkChampagne
    • 4th Sep 17, 12:45 PM
    • 4th Sep 17, 12:45 PM
    Why do you think your card was skimmed? If the balance in the account is what you would expect then no money has been taken, which would be the point of skimming. I'd suspect comms problems between Peru and VISA/Mastercard (not sure which this card is) and/or Virgin Money.
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    Over the weekend Virgin Money doesn't fully update their online banking, so I initially believed that was the case. I've finally spoken to them and they said despite me informing them of my location a temporary restriction was placed on my card and it is likely to happen again when I use it.
    • PinkChampagne
    • By PinkChampagne 4th Sep 17, 12:46 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    PinkChampagne
    • 4th Sep 17, 12:46 PM
    • 4th Sep 17, 12:46 PM
    Not sure where you have been but both cards have been mentioned on here and Revolut has been mentioned on HUKD.
    Originally posted by DCFC79
    I've looked into those and will get Starling when I return to the UK at the end of the month.
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 4th Sep 17, 6:27 PM
    • 8,700 Posts
    • 13,272 Thanks
    worried jim
    I've looked into those and will get Starling when I return to the UK at the end of the month.
    You know it makes sense! Enjoy Peru!
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 4th Sep 17, 6:49 PM
    • 55,859 Posts
    • 49,227 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    I've finally spoken to them and they said despite me informing them of my location a temporary restriction was placed on my card and it is likely to happen again when I use it.
    Take comfort from the fact that they are doing this for good reason. The inconvenience of not having 24/7 banking services may pale into insignifiance. Other ways of organising access to cash when travelling off piste so to speak.
    "Wide diversification is only required when investors do not understand what they are doing." - Warren Buffett
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 4th Sep 17, 6:50 PM
    • 4,210 Posts
    • 1,287 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    You are better off with a credit card backup (even with a small limit) for these problems than another pre-paid type card.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 4th Sep 17, 6:58 PM
    • 18,541 Posts
    • 14,267 Thanks
    agrinnall
    Over the weekend Virgin Money doesn't fully update their online banking, so I initially believed that was the case. I've finally spoken to them and they said despite me informing them of my location a temporary restriction was placed on my card and it is likely to happen again when I use it.
    Ah, well, it's always a sensible move to advise your bank when you intend to use your card overseas, some such as Nationwide allow you to flag this up online, others need you to to call them. Failure to do so can easily result in the type of block you have had on your card.

Although why they would do it again now they are aware you are overseas I don't know, and will be worth a complaint when you return if it does happen (unless the T&Cs say that the card is not to be used overseas at all, unlikely I would have thought).
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 4th Sep 17, 7:11 PM
    • 55,859 Posts
    • 49,227 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    Although why they would do it again now they are aware you are overseas I don't know, .
    Common sense should provide the answer. We appear to live in an era of naivety.
    "Wide diversification is only required when investors do not understand what they are doing." - Warren Buffett
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 4th Sep 17, 7:43 PM
    • 18,541 Posts
    • 14,267 Thanks
    agrinnall
    Common sense should provide the answer. We appear to live in an era of naivety.
    Originally posted by Thrugelmir
    Should it? Perhaps you can explain it for those of us who are hard of understanding, because in my experience having told a bank that the card will be used overseas it should then be allowed.
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 4th Sep 17, 8:54 PM
    • 7,168 Posts
    • 8,826 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    Should it? Perhaps you can explain it for those of us who are hard of understanding, because in my experience having told a bank that the card will be used overseas it should then be allowed.
    Sometimes a direct "Please ensure my overseas location ether these dates is registered" will be a clear instruction.

A "I'm overseas and nothing works" might not trigger a response of initiative from a call centre worker who's been in their job three minutes.
    • PinkChampagne
    • By PinkChampagne 10th Sep 17, 1:46 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    PinkChampagne
    You know it makes sense! Enjoy Peru!
    Originally posted by worried jim
    Thank you and I'll definitely enjoy Peru.
    • d123
    • By d123 10th Sep 17, 5:07 PM
    • 6,691 Posts
    • 4,265 Thanks
    d123
    You are better off with a credit card backup (even with a small limit) for these problems than another pre-paid type card.
    Originally posted by Heng Leng
    Starling isn’t a prepaid card.
    ====
    • KJSmith
    • By KJSmith 10th Sep 17, 7:35 PM
    • 112 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    KJSmith
    Notifying your bank that you're in a particular location may reduce the likelihood of your card being stopped as their fraud detection systems can take this information into account. However, it doesn't mean they will consider all transactions made there as genuine.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

538Posts Today

4,469Users online

Martin's Twitter