Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • iliveinapond
    • By iliveinapond 3rd Sep 17, 7:52 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    iliveinapond
    Transfer of Natwest Student Overdraft - possible?
    • 3rd Sep 17, 7:52 PM
    Transfer of Natwest Student Overdraft - possible? 3rd Sep 17 at 7:52 PM
    Hi all,

I've searched on the forums and can't find specific information so I wondered if someone could try and help.

I'm posting on behalf of my girlfriend who graduated 3 year ago and has a balance of around £800 remaining on her Natwest Student overdraft which she is now incurring costs on - about £17 / month.

We have money set aside to pay it off, but wondered if there was a way to simply shift the overdraft to another bank and be able to delay the payment of the debt for 12 months or so?

Any information, gratefully received.

Thanks.
Page 1
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 4th Sep 17, 12:06 AM
    • 5,800 Posts
    • 5,685 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 4th Sep 17, 12:06 AM
    • 4th Sep 17, 12:06 AM
    The short answer is no, she can't shift an overdraft from one place to another as such.

She can open an account with another bank and see if they'll offer an overdraft, which she can then use to pay off the first one (assuming it's large enough, which is far from a given), which arguably amounts to much the same thing, or alternatively apply for a money transfer credit card.

However, unless she's eligible for really good low-cost deals, then chances are that your best bet will simply be to use savings to pay off the overdraft and move on....
    • iliveinapond
    • By iliveinapond 12th Sep 17, 2:59 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    iliveinapond
    • 12th Sep 17, 2:59 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 2:59 PM
    Thanks for the help here.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,544Posts Today

8,295Users online

Martin's Twitter