Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • paulie38
    • By paulie38 3rd Sep 17, 4:38 PM
    • 23Posts
    • 1Thanks
    paulie38
    Insurance paid out on disputed claim
    • 3rd Sep 17, 4:38 PM
    Insurance paid out on disputed claim 3rd Sep 17 at 4:38 PM
    Hi,

Lokking for some advice please.

My OH was contacted by her insurance compnay in September last year saying her car had been involved in an accident in Milton Keynes. My OH contacted them & told them she has NEVER been to MK, & she was with her daughter all day in Kent. My OH does not drive outside the town we live, she never drives on motorways as she is not confident enough. She was told to put this in am email, which she did. She was then contacted by an engineer saying he was asked by insurance company to inspect her car. He duly did this & said vebally to her that it does not appear that her car had been involved in an accident. Off he popped & we heard nothing more. Two weeks ago she gets azn email saying her insurance has automatically been renewed. She did not receive an renewal invite in the post, so she contacted them. She was told they send all renewals by email. (She did not even ger a renewal invite by email) She told them that i am insured with them also, & i had received an renewal in the post when my renewal was due. They insist they sent a renewal invite by email, but my OH did not receive one.
    She was told she had 14 days if she did not want to renew with them. In the meantime, she logged in & saw her renewal quote that had gone up over £200.00. When she looked further, she noticed the alleged claim which had lost her NCD. She called them & they said the claim was still open as they were waitnig for more info from 3rd party. The operator said he would ring them the next day to see if they were still persuing my OH for the claim. He also said he would ring back the next day.
    No phone call was received, & yesterday she received a letter stating they had paid out to the 3rd party for the claim!!!

Ho can they do this? My OH has disputed the claim from the off, engineer has inspected her car & they have still accepted liability on her behalf without getting any more information from her.
    Where do we stand with this? Is there any action we can take?
    Any advice appreciated.

TIA
Page 1
    • bengalknights
    • By bengalknights 3rd Sep 17, 4:42 PM
    • 4,116 Posts
    • 1,504 Thanks
    bengalknights
    • 3rd Sep 17, 4:42 PM
    • 3rd Sep 17, 4:42 PM
    Unfotunatly whilst a claim is still open it counts as a claim

However you can take it to court action against your insurer and the claimant if you want to make it move quicker.
    • paulie38
    • By paulie38 3rd Sep 17, 4:47 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    paulie38
    • 3rd Sep 17, 4:47 PM
    • 3rd Sep 17, 4:47 PM
    Yes, but they have acually paid out on it!
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 3rd Sep 17, 4:49 PM
    • 89,490 Posts
    • 54,952 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 3rd Sep 17, 4:49 PM
    • 3rd Sep 17, 4:49 PM
    She called them & they said the claim was still open as they were waitnig for more info from 3rd party.
    That is a pain but quite normal. Once the claim has finished, you get a refund if it is shown to be non-fault claim.

No phone call was received, & yesterday she received a letter stating they had paid out to the 3rd party for the claim!!!

Ho can they do this?
    They would have been supplied evidence by the other insurer and they have to balance the cost arguing the claim vs the amount involved in settling it.

Where do we stand with this? Is there any action we can take?
    Make a formal complaint in writing. You can do it by phone but chances are you will not say what you want to say. Whereas a bullet pointed letter is easier for you to say what you want in write it without pressure.

There is a possibility that a car is out there using your wife's plates. Cloning is not uncommon.

Does your wife have location tracking on her mobile phone? Whilst it doesnt show where she was, it does show where her phone was. That in conjunction with any other evidence could paint a picture that supports her story. Did she make any retail purchases that day? Does she have receipts? Did she use a cashpoint? Could you give names of non-family witnesses?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
    • caveat_emptor
    • By caveat_emptor 3rd Sep 17, 4:54 PM
    • 662 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    caveat_emptor
    • 3rd Sep 17, 4:54 PM
    • 3rd Sep 17, 4:54 PM
    Doesn't sound right at all.
    First register a complaint with your insurer and if not satisfied, then Association of British Insurers.
    Might be useful for us to know who your insurer is so that we can avoid.
    Named after my cat, picture coming shortly
    • paulie38
    • By paulie38 3rd Sep 17, 5:04 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    paulie38
    • 3rd Sep 17, 5:04 PM
    • 3rd Sep 17, 5:04 PM
    First register a complaint with your insurer and if not satisfied, then Association of British Insurers.
    Might be useful for us to know who your insurer is so that we can avoid.
    Originally posted by caveat_emptor
    Hastings Direct
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 3rd Sep 17, 6:15 PM
    • 32,794 Posts
    • 16,821 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 3rd Sep 17, 6:15 PM
    • 3rd Sep 17, 6:15 PM
    First register a complaint with your insurer and if not satisfied, then Association of British Insurers....
    Originally posted by caveat_emptor
    The correct way to complain and escalate it is to first complain to your insurer.

If they ignore the complaint for 8 weeks or you are unhappy with their response then you can escalate to the FOS (Financial Ombudsman service) for their adjudication at no cost to you
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 3rd Sep 17, 7:02 PM
    • 35,874 Posts
    • 151,070 Thanks
    silvercar
    • 3rd Sep 17, 7:02 PM
    • 3rd Sep 17, 7:02 PM
    Is this a scam?

My OH was contacted by her insurance compnay in September last year saying her car had been involved in an accident in Milton Keynes.
    I have calls almost weekly claiming I have been involved in an accident!

I just hang up. I wonder if giving details is the next stage of the scam call.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 3rd Sep 17, 7:50 PM
    • 32,794 Posts
    • 16,821 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 3rd Sep 17, 7:50 PM
    • 3rd Sep 17, 7:50 PM
    Is this a scam?

Originally posted by silvercar
    Do you get these calls from your insurer (as the OP did)? If you hang up on your Insurer then expect them to keep trying!
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 4th Sep 17, 8:33 AM
    • 35,874 Posts
    • 151,070 Thanks
    silvercar
    Do you get these calls from your insurer (as the OP did)? If you hang up on your Insurer then expect them to keep trying!
    Originally posted by Quentin
    They sometimes claim to be my insurer!
    Then ask me what car I drive
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 4th Sep 17, 11:28 AM
    • 5,127 Posts
    • 4,778 Thanks
    eddddy

They sometimes claim to be my insurer!

Then ask me what car I drive
    That's almost certainly different.

They are phoning random numbers hoping to come across somebody who has been injured in a car accident that was a 3rd party's fault.

They want to 'help' you claim personal injury damages from the other party - in exchange for a fee.

(Very occasionally, these calls result from rogue employees of insurance companies or car repairers selling your details, but often your phone number was just randomly dialled by an autodialer.)
  • Hastings Direct company representative
    Hi Paulie,

I'm sorry to see you're unhappy and I can appreciate your frustration. If you email help@hastingsdirect.com with the policy details I can look into it and assist further for you both

Regards,

Joe
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Hastings Direct. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • maddogb
    • By maddogb 6th Sep 17, 2:05 PM
    • 460 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    maddogb
    "Guilty until proven innocent" is the motor insurance credo
    yet another example as to why the legal system needs to step in and rule insurers with an iron rod, they simply cannot be trusted to get it right
    • Big baz
    • By Big baz 19th Sep 17, 9:25 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Big baz
    Car stolen
    Had my car stolen the other day, phoned up insurance company and police and still waiting for a claims interview call with insurance company. My only worry is is that about a year and a half ago when decorating our new house I misplaced the spare key, my question is will the insurance company turn down my claim for stolen car
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 19th Sep 17, 11:01 PM
    • 2,753 Posts
    • 6,147 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    Hastings Direct are a nightmare.

Someone reversed into me & told me there & then that he'd deny liability.

Phoned reported it to HD, my insurers at the time, who told me my car's damage would be looked at to see if it was consistent with what I had reported.

I was never kept uptodate with the progress of the claim & was even told that it had been settled on a 50/50 fault basis

Vowed I'd never go or recently recommend HD again even if they offered insurance for free
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - the Argos Card!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

149Posts Today

1,093Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin