Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • joe134
    • By joe134 3rd Sep 17, 11:45 AM
    • 3,059Posts
    • 399Thanks
    joe134
    Re NCD on car insurance
    • 3rd Sep 17, 11:45 AM
    Re NCD on car insurance 3rd Sep 17 at 11:45 AM
    Hi Guys.
    Do all companies only take into consideration 9 plus years as maximum NCD to get maximum discount?
    I have got nearly 40 years, but, on comparison sites, they just go up to 9 plus years, on forms!
    I have just changed from Privalege to another company, and when I Asked Privalege for proof, of NCD, I got 9 first, what I had when I started with them.
    Then when I queried it, they sent 10. And now 11 years As I was with them 2 years.!
    I cannot prove any more beyond that,so, does it matter?
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 3rd Sep 17, 11:50 AM
    • 33,248 Posts
    • 17,191 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 3rd Sep 17, 11:50 AM
    • 3rd Sep 17, 11:50 AM
    No.

(Do dummy quotes with 9 years and 40 to see what difference it makes)
    • joe134
    • By joe134 3rd Sep 17, 12:15 PM
    • 3,059 Posts
    • 399 Thanks
    joe134
    • 3rd Sep 17, 12:15 PM
    • 3rd Sep 17, 12:15 PM
    No.

(Do dummy quotes with 9 years and 40 to see what difference it makes)
    Originally posted by Quentin
    On moneysupermarket, they just give a drop down , and maximum is 9+. Years,the + could be anything from 9 to 40+ in my case.
    Even so, I have no proof of more than 11 now, as Privalege only give out 9+ on all there proofs of NCD?
    They only upped it to 11 when I queried it.
    They said, most companies do!!
    Every time, I change companies over the years, I use comparison sites, and they do the same.9+ ?
    • joe134
    • By joe134 3rd Sep 17, 12:17 PM
    • 3,059 Posts
    • 399 Thanks
    joe134
    • 3rd Sep 17, 12:17 PM
    • 3rd Sep 17, 12:17 PM
    On moneysupermarket, they just give a drop down , and maximum is 9+. Years,the + could be anything from 9 to 40+ in my case.
    Even so, I have no proof of more than 11 now, as Privalege only give out 9+ on all there proofs of NCD?
    They only upped it to 11 when I queried it.
    They said, most companies do!!
    Every time, I change companies over the years, I use comparison sites, and they do the same.9+ ?
    Originally posted by joe134
    edit, I,m stuck now as I,be changed over, was curious.
    If a company did give 40, I couldn't,t prove it now.
    Last edited by joe134; 03-09-2017 at 12:19 PM.
    • takman
    • By takman 3rd Sep 17, 2:57 PM
    • 2,821 Posts
    • 2,359 Thanks
    takman
    • 3rd Sep 17, 2:57 PM
    • 3rd Sep 17, 2:57 PM
    Hi Guys.
    Do all companies only take into consideration 9 plus years as maximum NCD to get maximum discount?
    I have got nearly 40 years, but, on comparison sites, they just go up to 9 plus years, on forms!
    I have just changed from Privalege to another company, and when I Asked Privalege for proof, of NCD, I got 9 first, what I had when I started with them.
    Then when I queried it, they sent 10. And now 11 years As I was with them 2 years.!
    I cannot prove any more beyond that,so, does it matter?
    Originally posted by joe134
    You don't actually have 40 years NCD and never did you only have what you can provide proof of from your previous insurance company, it's not how many years you have had without an at fault claim. (Admiral for example did used to give out 1 years NCD after 10 months).

But it doesn't matter anyway because insurance companies rarely give much of a discount after you get 5 and anything over 10 years is extremely unlikely to make any difference if they did accept it.
    M&S insurance sent me a document showing the percentage discount that each year of NCD gave. From 5-10 years it was only 1-2% discount per year you had and nothing over 10.
    • Aretnap
    • By Aretnap 3rd Sep 17, 3:36 PM
    • 2,816 Posts
    • 2,307 Thanks
    Aretnap
    • 3rd Sep 17, 3:36 PM
    • 3rd Sep 17, 3:36 PM
    I vaguely recall that there is one company that recognises (or at least used to recognise) up to 15 years, but can't remember which one. Presumably they gave much the same maximum discount - it just took 15 years to build it up instead of 9. Punters probably thought it was a great deal.

Most companies so giving you further discounts after 9 (or even 5) years. Some might be willing to print a larger number on your renewal notice - but the only practical difference between having 9 and having 40 is that the latter gives you a slightly warmer glow when you look at the renewal notice.

It makes a certain amount of sense. Insurers aren't really interested in what your driving was like as a teenage by the time you're a pensioner - why would they be? I'm certainly a very different person to who I was even 10 years ago - let alone 40. Plus if they did give people "credit"for 40 years of claim free driving the flip side would be that someone who had an accident in 1977 would still be having to pay extra because of it now - surely attracting much outrage from Daily Mail readers.
    • joe134
    • By joe134 3rd Sep 17, 5:13 PM
    • 3,059 Posts
    • 399 Thanks
    joe134
    • 3rd Sep 17, 5:13 PM
    • 3rd Sep 17, 5:13 PM
    You don't actually have 40 years NCD and never did you only have what you can provide proof of from your previous insurance company, it's not how many years you have had without an at fault claim. (Admiral for example did used to give out 1 years NCD after 10 months).

But it doesn't matter anyway because insurance companies rarely give much of a discount after you get 5 and anything over 10 years is extremely unlikely to make any difference if they did accept it.
    M&S insurance sent me a document showing the percentage discount that each year of NCD gave. From 5-10 years it was only 1-2% discount per year you had and nothing over 10.
    Originally posted by takman
    Thanks, I know I,have 40 years no claims driving, but, this new company I,ve gone to, asked for NCD, proof, and copies of licences, 3.
    That,s how I asked privilege for it.
    In the past, the companies, I,ve dealt with, obtained the NCD itself.
    Don,t know the last time I had to provide proof, although, the company I left, usually sent me proof, on leaving.

Got three proofs now, 9 ,10 and 11.
    Haven,t sent the 11, as you say, get no more for it probably.
    • EmmyLou30
    • By EmmyLou30 5th Sep 17, 3:10 PM
    • 333 Posts
    • 392 Thanks
    EmmyLou30
    • 5th Sep 17, 3:10 PM
    • 5th Sep 17, 3:10 PM
    I've had exactly this happen recently. Went to Quote me Happy with my 17 years no claims only to spot after taking out the policy that they have recorded 9. I queried it only to be told they only go up to 9. So after refusing to amend it they said I should keep my proof of 17 from my previous insurers if I wanted to keep it for next year. To me it's the principle, it's not that I expect more discount, it's that I want it noted I've been a good driver for 17 years!! Not 9.
    Unfortunately I'm unable to cancel my policy with them even though it was 7 days ago and hasn't even started yet due to them wanted £25 to do so which is more than I'm willing to give them for being a !!!! company! I just won't be giving them my business again.
    • Clifford_Pope
    • By Clifford_Pope 6th Sep 17, 9:41 AM
    • 3,383 Posts
    • 3,470 Thanks
    Clifford_Pope
    • 6th Sep 17, 9:41 AM
    • 6th Sep 17, 9:41 AM
    No claims discount, accident-free years and claim-free years are entirely separate things.
    A discount is a reduction in price entirely at the discretion of the insurance company.
    Accident-free years is a simple fact, not easily proved, and not relevant after 9 years at maximum.
    Claim-free years are verifiable by your present or previous insurers, and not necessarily the same as accident-free. There might have been scrapes you haven't claimed for, and there could have been claims not as a result of accidents - eg theft.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,757Posts Today

8,908Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @GabbyLogan: @MartinSLewis you are just brilliant. Love the format, great pairing with Angelica ????

• Hi folks. Thanks for watching.am shattered. Hope you enjoyed the show. Must admit can't remember any of it right no? https://t.co/zPn8xwVKqv

• Anthony here (Martin's tweet-double), signing off now. The next voice you hear will be Martin's. Thanks all and goodnight. #MartinLewis

• Follow Martin