IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Flying Ryanair wth Children
Closed Thread
Views: 3,102
# 1
WOW Factor 0
Suggs
Old 24-05-2005, 2:19 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Send a message via MSN to Suggs
Default Flying Ryanair wth Children

Abit of a stupid question, but I am a little worried so I will ask anyways.

Flying to Reus on Saturday with my Children, I know all about free seating and Ryanair, having flown before, but this is the first time my children will experience it.

The question is, at what age do children cease to be children for boarding first? My children are 13, 10 and 9 and I would say only slighty nervous flyers, it will be the "scrum" that may upset them more if an inconsiderate person pushes past.

If Ryanair or you think they are too old for boarding first, thats fine, I will make sure I get to Luton Airport in plenty of time to hopefully get an early boarding pass.

Thanks for your time.

Concerned Father of MK
Proud Member of the Lose Weight Thread on I Wanna..................

Started January 2006 Total loss 180.8lb 82Kg 12st12.8lb

# 2
loobs40
Old 24-05-2005, 2:45 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

You can let me know what happens as I am flying to Reus from Luton in June with our 4 kids. 17, 15, 12 ,9 !
# 3
alanrowell
Old 24-05-2005, 2:50 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Didn't think Ryanair had any policy on children - it's just a free-for-all.
# 4
polar_low
Old 24-05-2005, 3:35 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanrowell
Didn't think Ryanair had any policy on children - it's just a free-for-all.
I think there is a seating policy:

To ensure that all families travel at the best price and receive the best service we have introduced a number of services to make it easier for family travel:

At each airport we fly to we will preboard families travelling with young children.

http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/faqs.php

But i'm not sure what their defintion of 'young children' is, probably under 10 i would think.
# 5
evesham1988la
Old 24-05-2005, 3:35 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Ryanair do have a policy whereby families with 'young' children are allowed priority boarding. Children aged 13, 10 & 9 should definately be allowed to board first.
sorry no links in signatures by site rules - Forum Team 2
# 6
princess
Old 24-05-2005, 11:17 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Sorry but our experience was very different from this. People with very young children (ie held in arms) were allowed to board first and some people managed to sweet talk thier way into the first boarding with children up to I would guess 5 years old. They were very firm about not prioritising any child older that that. Certainly my son aged 10 and a first time flyer had to take his chances in the scrum.
# 7
Midget_Karen
Old 24-05-2005, 11:56 PM
MoneySaving Convert

When I flew RynaAir there were some very old "young" children. You didn't need a special ticket or anything, they just called you up. I'm sure I saw kids as old as yours going on. I'm sure if they don't like it the will just tell you, but I reckon they won't bother tomake a fuss. They're too busy just getting everyone on board.
# 8
Suggs
Old 25-05-2005, 7:39 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Send a message via MSN to Suggs

The odd thing is even their customer services dont seem to know, so I will then up early, my parents live in Luton and Im parking the car at their house, I will ask at checkin, but more importantly I will hopefully have a early boarding pass just in case.

Thanks for your replies guys, to be fair with low cost airlines, I am not expecting much
Proud Member of the Lose Weight Thread on I Wanna..................

Started January 2006 Total loss 180.8lb 82Kg 12st12.8lb

# 9
gazza007
Old 25-05-2005, 8:20 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I took my 8 & 10 year old for a surprise day trip to Dublin last October.
We got on first without without problems. Despite the announcement you will always get people who will ignore the rules & shove to the front. It is usually the same people who stick their heads through the baggage carousel flaps despite it being stationery.
# 10
Lucie
Old 25-05-2005, 10:15 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazza007
It is usually the same people who stick their heads through the baggage carousel flaps despite it being stationery.
Are those the same people who have their seatbelt unbuckled & jump up to get their bag out of the overhead locker as soon as the front wheels touch the ground?

Suggs - you might want to mention your concerns at check in. Tell them that you have nervous flyers & is there anyway you can be included in the priority boarding?
# 11
budgetflyer
Old 25-05-2005, 12:17 PM

With a 9 year old in your family I would just go straight to the front regardless of what they say.For easyjet the age is 5-ridiculous.
Check in early just in case. At Prestwick they have a special seating area for families with young children so if its the same at your airport just plonk yourselves down there.
I certainly wouldn't mind giving up my seat next to the wife if it made the flight easier for a family.
What I have noticed the last 2 times I've flew Ryanair is the amount of selfish solo travellers who plonk themselfs in the middle seat of an empty row of 3 ,hoping to discourage anyone to sit either side.If I could have persuaded the missus, we would have sat either side of them and spent the next 2 1/2 hours passing boiled sweets ,crisps and sannies back and forth in front of them, along with me going to the toilet 10 times from my window seat :-)
# 12
Fatboy_NSS
Old 26-05-2005, 1:53 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

On my last flight with ryanair I saw people boarding with their children get priority over us even though their children were in their 20s. Even if they don't let you get away with that you shouldn't have a problem sitting together as long as you make sure you get to the gate as quickly as you can after checking in.
# 13
Ally
Old 26-05-2005, 1:40 PM

when we flew with Ryanair, there was an announcement for families with children to board first, there was no priority boarding pass issued:confused: I am not sure where you heard that and/or if it happens with Ryanair at all.

We had our 8 year old and one of the boarding staff saw her and called us over before he even knew we had an infant with us too! There were a number of young teens with their families being boarded 1st, but they were asked to wait for the families with very young children to board first.

I think you should be fine, but make sure you mention it to staff when you check in.
I can say whatever I like here ... 'cos no one can see me .. ner ner ner ner ner !!!....

How do you know I ain't sitting here butt naked?!?!

I thunk I've made you think for a minute!

# 14
sjpkgp
Old 26-05-2005, 6:00 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default age policy

Easyjet is definitely aged 5 and under, which is too low. Not sure about ryanair.

I would definitely see if you can speak to the people doing the boarding and mention nervous flyers, get there early (so you are near the doors anyway).

I would also be fairly brazen, everybody else is.
# 15
Savvy_Sue
Old 27-05-2005, 7:34 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

In Feb we flew with Ryanair with a 13 yo. We missed the priority boarding at Stanstead - not sure how! - but at the other end we were there earlier (can't even remember where that was now, dozy or what!) and they called families with children first. I was all for holding back - DS has flown more than me and is very definitely NOT nervous! - but others around us said no, we should go for it. And sure enough we were boarded with all the other families with sprogs. It was a bit of a scrum: the airport was basically a shed in the middle of a big field, and the 'departure lounge' was just a big seating area.

As DH said, they probably didn't want DS separated from us in case he was a nuisance ... I think 5 is a ridiculously young cutoff age not to be included in priority boarding.
I'm a Board Guide on the Cutting Tax; Charities; Small Biz & Charity Organisers; and Silver Savers boards, which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. However, do remember, Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts.

Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com

New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?

Real Life is taking a lot more time than usual
# 16
Dumyat
Old 27-05-2005, 8:20 AM

we've never had any problems getting seats together on ryan air or easyjet. And I have seen air crew rearrange passengers if people have boarded late with children. I wouldnt worry too much about it. hope you have a great time!
x x x
# 17
eml
Old 27-05-2005, 10:47 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I am flying Ryanair in June for the first time with 2 young children (2 and 5 yrs). I am hoping we will be able to board first but in case we do lose out in the scrum, am planning to suggest that if people won't move to let us sit together, they can have the pleasure of looking after my children for the whole flight!
# 18
loobs40
Old 27-05-2005, 10:57 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Good point that. I think I'd prefer that my kids sat as far as possible away from me and partner to allow us some peace and quiet. Their ages are 9, 12,15,17.

Yep, thats definitely what I'm going to do
Closed Thread