Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • vammc
    • By vammc 3rd Sep 17, 12:26 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    vammc
    Should seller beware?
    • 3rd Sep 17, 12:26 AM
    Should seller beware? 3rd Sep 17 at 12:26 AM
    Hello,
    I just had a query about how protected you are as a seller on eBay. I recently sold a pretty silk dress on eBay. The item was brand new never worn with all the tags on. I was warn by friends so took multiple pictures of the dress prior to wrapping it in soft wrapping tissue and in a padded envelope.
    A few days later I have received a request to return the item was it was not as described which puzzled me as it was when I sent it. I replied with photographic evidence of the prestine condition to the buyer and received a email informing me they disagreed and pictures of the new damage.
    I'm not particularly happy about paying another expensive postage charge, refund and receiving a damaged item.
    I contacted eBay but I am very skeptical from what I have read. I am wondering if anyone has had a similar experience as it doesn't really seem that sellers have any protection?
Page 1
    • Tealblue
    • By Tealblue 3rd Sep 17, 12:33 AM
    • 660 Posts
    • 1,023 Thanks
    Tealblue
    • 3rd Sep 17, 12:33 AM
    • 3rd Sep 17, 12:33 AM
    Sellers certainly have very little protection, which is why selling anything of any real value on ebay is a gamble...really sorry you've been caught by a duff buyer.
    • RFW
    • By RFW 3rd Sep 17, 12:41 AM
    • 8,478 Posts
    • 4,936 Thanks
    RFW
    • 3rd Sep 17, 12:41 AM
    • 3rd Sep 17, 12:41 AM
    I'm not sure what Ebay can do under these circumstances. They have to really side with the buyer, even with pictures, there's no evidence that the buyer didn't receive a damaged item. Obviously this hasn't happened here, but I could take a picture of a brand new shirt then pour a coffee on it, burn a hole in it and put it in a bag and post it.

The only hope is if the buyer has dome it before and been reported for it. Ebay have been known to refund the buyer from their own pocket so the seller isn't at a loss. Provide them with the pictures and badger them, politely, as much as you can, if you think it's worth it.

There's always a risk in selling, no matter what the platform or the sale price. I sell thousands of items per month and rarely get an issue, others can sell one or two and get one or two problems.
    • bris
    • By bris 3rd Sep 17, 5:35 PM
    • 7,042 Posts
    • 6,040 Thanks
    bris
    • 3rd Sep 17, 5:35 PM
    • 3rd Sep 17, 5:35 PM
    Photos mean nothing so you are wasting your time even taking them. What's to stop you taking photos of one dress and sending another?

You have learned the hard way, Ebay has scammed me enough times now to stop selling on there now. You will now have to pay all the postage charges both yours and theirs.
    • Tealblue
    • By Tealblue 3rd Sep 17, 7:03 PM
    • 660 Posts
    • 1,023 Thanks
    Tealblue
    • 3rd Sep 17, 7:03 PM
    • 3rd Sep 17, 7:03 PM
    If it's a silk dress it shouldn't be that heavy. Send the buyer a label to return via their local Hermes Parcelshop - £2.79 inc VAT.
    • Pierre De Grenoble
    • By Pierre De Grenoble 3rd Sep 17, 7:21 PM
    • 347 Posts
    • 201 Thanks
    Pierre De Grenoble
    • 3rd Sep 17, 7:21 PM
    • 3rd Sep 17, 7:21 PM
    If a case has been opened via eBay you have no choice but to agree a refund or a prepaid label.
    This will ensure that you get your sellers fees refunded and that you don't lose everything ( item & fees) which is the guaranteed outcome if you do nothing.
    If you don't agree to a refund or issue a return label you will automatically pick up a seller "defect" on your account. and your buyer will be refunded ( at your expense and get to keep your item)

You cannot "beat" the buyers claim (incorrect or not). It's all about how you deal with it to protect your "seller" account.
    Last edited by Pierre De Grenoble; 04-09-2017 at 3:51 AM.
    • vammc
    • By vammc 5th Sep 17, 4:43 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    vammc
    • 5th Sep 17, 4:43 PM
    • 5th Sep 17, 4:43 PM
    Thank you everyone for your advice. I must say I had no idea that you were so ill protected or that people would be so unscrupulous in buying and selling item which I know sounds very naive. I will do what you have recommended as I would rather have my item back.

Kind Regards.
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 5th Sep 17, 5:46 PM
    • 35,644 Posts
    • 45,882 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 5th Sep 17, 5:46 PM
    • 5th Sep 17, 5:46 PM
    Just go on local face book selling sites, money in your hand instantly, no postage and buyers can examine before buying.
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent
    • Pun
    • By Pun 5th Sep 17, 6:17 PM
    • 549 Posts
    • 509 Thanks
    Pun
    • 5th Sep 17, 6:17 PM
    • 5th Sep 17, 6:17 PM
    Just go on local face book selling sites, money in your hand instantly, no postage and buyers can examine before buying.
    Originally posted by McKneff
    Hmmm...read any of the many posts moaning about people not showing up, behaving unreasonable ("delivery required, I'm 30 miles away from you") etc? Not quite the perfect solution, although certainly better in many cases than some ebay experiences.
    • RFW
    • By RFW 5th Sep 17, 7:52 PM
    • 8,478 Posts
    • 4,936 Thanks
    RFW
    Ebay has scammed me enough times now to stop selling on there now.
    Originally posted by bris
    How have they scammed you?
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 6th Sep 17, 8:05 PM
    • 26,034 Posts
    • 10,383 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    Originally posted by McKneff
    I was thinking facebook, not to sell the item but to see if the buyer wore the dress to a night out?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,034Posts Today

8,285Users online

Martin's Twitter