Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • burtons
    • By burtons 2nd Sep 17, 7:06 PM
    • 502Posts
    • 75Thanks
    burtons
    What's the difference between a genuine ink cartridge and a remanufactured ink cart
    • 2nd Sep 17, 7:06 PM
    What's the difference between a genuine ink cartridge and a remanufactured ink cart 2nd Sep 17 at 7:06 PM
    Would anyone know what's the difference between a genuine ink cartridge and a remanufactured ink cartridge.
    I bought a remanufactured ink cartridges but when I put it in the printer it said it looks like you are using non-genuine ink cartridges so I took off the remanufactured sticker and it's a epson cartridge but I cannot see what's the difference between a genuine one apart from the colour of the cartridge and one is made in the uk and the other is made in indonesia
Page 1
    • FluffityBunny
    • By FluffityBunny 2nd Sep 17, 7:23 PM
    • 133 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    FluffityBunny
    • 2nd Sep 17, 7:23 PM
    • 2nd Sep 17, 7:23 PM
    Manufactured ones are basically recycled cartridges that have been sent to a factory to be refilled, genuine ones are brand new.
    • Dandytf
    • By Dandytf 2nd Sep 17, 7:25 PM
    • 763 Posts
    • 299 Thanks
    Dandytf
    • 2nd Sep 17, 7:25 PM
    • 2nd Sep 17, 7:25 PM
    Only difference Iv’e found is non genuine ink doesn’t last anywhere near the time of genuine ink.

That was from my previous Epsom printer.

Since replaced last year with a new Cannon AirPrint printer.

Almost a year old and I still have ink left from original supplied cartridges -they haven’t dried up at all.

Which is why I’ll replace them with Genuine Cannon cartridges late 2017 or early 2018.

I’ve. Found reliability and quality printing when r3equired as I’m a home user light printer only print a few pages per year when required.

The Epsom ink I did buy once were lots of cartridges for a few pounds from Amazon -they dried up exceptionally fast before I got a chance to use them a few months later.
    sc dmp 2012 13k

Jan 2017 7380 paid. 50% ish...
    • burtons
    • By burtons 2nd Sep 17, 7:39 PM
    • 502 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    burtons
    • 2nd Sep 17, 7:39 PM
    • 2nd Sep 17, 7:39 PM
    Manufactured ones are basically recycled cartridges that have been sent to a factory to be refilled, genuine ones are brand new.
    Originally posted by FluffityBunny
    If they have only been refilled why does it say it looks like you are using non-genuine ink cartridges.
    • dipsomaniac
    • By dipsomaniac 3rd Sep 17, 10:02 AM
    • 5,558 Posts
    • 2,108 Thanks
    dipsomaniac
    • 3rd Sep 17, 10:02 AM
    • 3rd Sep 17, 10:02 AM
    you have found the main problem of using refils/remanufactured cartridges on this type of printer. its not worth the hassle imo
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
    • DUTR
    • By DUTR 3rd Sep 17, 10:28 AM
    • 10,889 Posts
    • 6,196 Thanks
    DUTR
    • 3rd Sep 17, 10:28 AM
    • 3rd Sep 17, 10:28 AM
    Would anyone know what's the difference between a genuine ink cartridge and a remanufactured ink cartridge.
    I bought a remanufactured ink cartridges but when I put it in the printer it said it looks like you are using non-genuine ink cartridges so I took off the remanufactured sticker and it's a epson cartridge but I cannot see what's the difference between a genuine one apart from the colour of the cartridge and one is made in the uk and the other is made in indonesia
    Originally posted by burtons
    Often the cartidges have a chip in them which the data is extracted from, as others have pointed out, sometimes they are substandard, that said I notice my HP is keen to re-align and other tasks that waste ink, look out for special offers on genuine ink, I get 2*HP302 from argos for £16.
    • HonourlessWeasel
    • By HonourlessWeasel 3rd Sep 17, 1:17 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    HonourlessWeasel
    • 3rd Sep 17, 1:17 PM
    • 3rd Sep 17, 1:17 PM
    DUTR makes the point here - cartridges, toner and ink now tend to have chips on them that prove whether they're real or not. Some refilling companies get genuine outer shells of cartridges and refill them so they look genuine and they might be able to fool some printers by having original chips on them. Some refilling companies just make their shells look and fit the same. Some printers actually write to the chips when the toner/ink runs out so they can't be used again.

The problem with using refilled cartridges (more so toner than ink) is that you don't really know what they've put in them to make up the weight and volume. The genuine ones made by the original manufacturer will only use real toner (for a while it was pretty much the most expensive substance on the planet) but some refilling places have been found to pad it out with other powders, hence they're a lot cheaper. Great for your pocket, terrible for your printer.

If they're putting dodgy stuff into ink as well, it can clog up the inside of your printer, it can corrode tubes and make heads unusable. Same deal when it comes to chips on ink cartridges. I bought a Canon printer yesterday and saw the chips on the ink cartridges - I'd never buy non-genuine ones.

But, all this information is because I used to work in the commercial print industry, so I've seen first hand the damage the fake and refilled cartridges can do. It's a false economy, you might save money, but the print quality is never as good and they never last as long. You'll end up spending the money on more cartridges eventually or on replacing your printer.
    • SouthUKMan
    • By SouthUKMan 4th Sep 17, 8:46 PM
    • 281 Posts
    • 220 Thanks
    SouthUKMan
    • 4th Sep 17, 8:46 PM
    • 4th Sep 17, 8:46 PM
    I've had good and bad experiences with non-original / re-manufactured cartridges over the years.

However I have now stopped buying them because the lottery involved in getting a good one isn't worth it to me anymore. I've had cartridges that didn't work, cartridges that printed feint, cartridges that seemed to last only a very short time...... but I've also had some perfect cartridges.

On reflection though I have probably NOT saved money over buying original cartridges - which of course defeats the point of buying the cheaper cartridges in the first place. Add in the hassle I've had...and overall I've been a bit of a mug it seems lol
    • macman
    • By macman 5th Sep 17, 2:23 PM
    • 41,290 Posts
    • 16,954 Thanks
    macman
    • 5th Sep 17, 2:23 PM
    • 5th Sep 17, 2:23 PM
    If they have only been refilled why does it say it looks like you are using non-genuine ink cartridges.
    Originally posted by burtons
    Because you are. Neither the ink supply nor the refilling process are carried out by the original provider.
    As far as the manufacturers' are concerned, the carts are single use only, because that's where all the profit is made: that's why the printers themselves are so heavily subsidised.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • cloud_dog
    • By cloud_dog 5th Sep 17, 3:58 PM
    • 3,169 Posts
    • 1,699 Thanks
    cloud_dog
    It's a false economy, you might save money, but the print quality is never as good and they never last as long. You'll end up spending the money on more cartridges eventually or on replacing your printer.
    Originally posted by HonourlessWeasel
    You can argue over the quality aspect but not the value.

I've got a Canon Pixmania MG7750 and I've never bought Canon's own cartridges. The value saving is mind-blowing.

I get through approx 4 sets a year. I can buy a set (of 5) for £19.50 and have never had a problem with the compatible cartridges I've bought. I cannot say if they print less than branded cartridges or not but based on the cost savings I am happy.

As an example, I can buy a high capacity black cartridges:
    • Canon branded - £16.37
    • Compatible - £5.31

Multiply that our for 5 cartridges, that equates (at a very simple comparison level) for Canon £81.85, compatible £26.55. A saving of £55.30.

Multiply that out over the year and that is a saving of approx £220! If I buy multi-packs then the costs and savings reduce to approx £130 over 1 year but, I rarely do as after the first set different colours run out at different times so I tend to buy packs of replacement depending on high use colours.

Sooooo, if the printer or head dies I can buy another one (or two with the savings).

I'm sure the cartridge chip will catch up with me at some point but until I have to, I am happy with compatibles (certainly through the provider I have been using for years).
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 5th Sep 17, 4:20 PM
    • 1,735 Posts
    • 2,534 Thanks
    Robisere
    It comes down to what you want from a printer. Now you have read about how cartridges can have a data chip in them, you will know that the lack of a data chip, or an unsuitable remanufatured chip, will stop the printer working.

I have an 8yo HP Photosmart 5-cartridge printer, have always used genuine HP cartridges and carried out regular HP upgrades. But I need the quality and reliability of genuine cartridges in order to design certain projects and print them, as well as photographs. Anyone without these kind of requirements, is better off using compatible cartridges, after the warranty is over.
    There may be more than one way to skin a cat.
    But the result is always inedible.

• esuhl
    • By esuhl 5th Sep 17, 7:04 PM
    • 7,535 Posts
    • 5,330 Thanks
    esuhl
    I've always used cheap compatible cartridges in my printers and, as cloud_dog says, the savings have been immense.

My last printer had branded cartridges costing £15. The compatibles were £1.50. Sure the colour accuracy wasn't as good, and the image faded much quicker than genuine ink, but it was dirt cheap and I don't care about image quality that much.

I was saving more than the cost of the printer within a few months. And the printer lasted 8 years before failing.
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 5th Sep 17, 7:32 PM
    • 1,735 Posts
    • 2,534 Thanks
    Robisere
    As I said before, if you don't need the quality and reliability that I need from genuine cartridges, compatibles are fine. But I emphasised the point to wait until the Warranty is over, because, in the event that your printer stops working and you need to have it repaired, there may be 2 options as I understand it. You may be asked to return it to the store where you bought it, or you may be asked to take it to an appointed repairer. The ink will be tested in either case. It will show that the ink is not the manufaturer's ink and, immaterial of the component which has failed, they will refuse costs. I have a relative who works in the trade and this is his information.
    There may be more than one way to skin a cat.
    But the result is always inedible.

• dipsomaniac
    • By dipsomaniac 5th Sep 17, 8:19 PM
    • 5,558 Posts
    • 2,108 Thanks
    dipsomaniac
    cloud_dog. out of interest how many colour pages are you printing a month?
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
    • cloud_dog
    • By cloud_dog 6th Sep 17, 12:03 PM
    • 3,169 Posts
    • 1,699 Thanks
    cloud_dog
    cloud_dog. out of interest how many colour pages are you printing a month?
    Originally posted by dipsomaniac
    It varies significantly, depending on the projects I am working on.

For the example I gave (approx 4 packs of cartridges per year) that would have been approx 2000 sheets (about 150 per month).

I went with the MG7750 as I wanted a decent printer for images but due to space (WFH) I needed copier facilities included. I set the default printer setting to draft and grey scale....for other household reasons who may not actually think about what they are doing/printing

EDIT: Not all of the printing is colour but the majority (just noticed the key word in your question)

EDIT EDIT: Good win for the Cherries on Friday
    Last edited by cloud_dog; 06-09-2017 at 12:11 PM.
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
    • justaquestion
    • By justaquestion 6th Sep 17, 11:07 PM
    • 418 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    justaquestion
    Since we are on the subject of printer ink anyone have an idea why the compatible ink for Epson XP 235, XP 332, Xp 325, XP 432 and Xp 435 is so expensive on ebay just 4 cartridges for £8.50 or more whereas you would get 12 cartridges or more for older Epsons for the same price.

The chip different or what?

Thanks
    • interstellaflyer
    • By interstellaflyer 7th Sep 17, 7:09 AM
    • 1,636 Posts
    • 954 Thanks
    interstellaflyer
    Since we are on the subject of printer ink anyone have an idea why the compatible ink for Epson XP 235, XP 332, Xp 325, XP 432 and Xp 435 is so expensive on ebay just 4 cartridges for £8.50 or more whereas you would get 12 cartridges or more for older Epsons for the same price.

The chip different or what?

Thanks
    Originally posted by justaquestion
    They are more expensive because they fit Epson's current range of low/lower end printers so developments cost for the chips needs to be recovered, there have been issues with machines that take those cartridges, Epson factory installed updated firmware on certain batch runs I believe the latest compatible cartridges are now on version 3 chips.
    I hate football and do wish people wouldn't keep talking about it like it's the most important thing in the world
    • rubble2
    • By rubble2 7th Sep 17, 9:08 AM
    • 264 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    rubble2
    Just for context, I used to work for a company involved with industrial over printing (best before dates etc.)
    We had a relationship with commercial ink manufacturer and although it wasn't part of our business activity we used to buy ink cartridge ink from them for our own office use ( never any problem with it - apart from the faff of refilling cartridges,) but the cost to buy the ink was £2.00 +vat per litre. I am sure you can work out how many cartridge refills you would get out of a litre bottle.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,823Posts Today

7,179Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin