Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • meg00
    • By meg00 2nd Sep 17, 3:27 PM
    • 153Posts
    • 50Thanks
    meg00
    Fire TV Stick
    • 2nd Sep 17, 3:27 PM
    Fire TV Stick 2nd Sep 17 at 3:27 PM
    Due to Love Film closing, I have been offered a Fire TV stick at a reduced cost of £25.00 from Amazon.

Will I be able to use it in both the living room and the bedroom, or will I need to buy 2?.
    Thanks,
    Meg.
Page 2
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 5th Sep 17, 9:28 AM
    • 2,908 Posts
    • 1,987 Thanks
    AndyPix
    Donna, 17.4 IS the latest build of Kodi.

A build is the definition given to a compiled piece of source code.
    Last edited by AndyPix; 05-09-2017 at 9:31 AM.
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 5th Sep 17, 7:00 PM
    • 26,719 Posts
    • 14,444 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    Donna, 17.4 IS the latest build of Kodi.

A build is the definition given to a compiled piece of source code.
    Originally posted by AndyPix
    But it is not helping those not clued up by referring to kodi by itself as a build. This is because installing kodi by itself won't give you anything. To get tv, movies etc you need to add what they call a build. The one I have has a website with step by step instructions describing how to add their build which has 5 or 6 variations depending on what content is best for you.
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 5th Sep 17, 8:03 PM
    • 8,269 Posts
    • 6,227 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    But it is not helping those not clued up by referring to kodi by itself as a build. This is because installing kodi by itself won't give you anything. To get tv, movies etc you need to add what they call a build. The one I have has a website with step by step instructions describing how to add their build which has 5 or 6 variations depending on what content is best for you.
    Originally posted by donnajunkie
    Sounds like addons for a build to me , c.f. Firefox addons not working when mozilla release a new build... and that is going imminent
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 5th Sep 17, 8:08 PM
    • 4,835 Posts
    • 3,836 Thanks
    glentoran99

no you don't

You can have Addons without a build full of c*** you will never use

I use 3 addons, the rest don't even get opened
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 5th Sep 17, 8:38 PM
    • 26,719 Posts
    • 14,444 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    Sounds like addons for a build to me , c.f. Firefox addons not working when mozilla release a new build... and that is going imminent
    Originally posted by debitcardmayhem
    The build I use regularly gets updates.
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 5th Sep 17, 8:45 PM
    • 26,719 Posts
    • 14,444 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    no you don't

You can have Addons without a build full of c*** you will never use

I use 3 addons, the rest don't even get opened
    Originally posted by glentoran99
    Well that's upto you but you can disable and even uninstall add ons if you feel there's a need in the build. The one I use has no adverts at all. I believe there are some builds that are full of ads. The version of the build I choose takes up around 500mb roughly.
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 5th Sep 17, 8:55 PM
    • 4,835 Posts
    • 3,836 Thanks
    glentoran99
    Well that's upto you but you can disable and even uninstall add ons if you feel there's a need in the build. The one I use has no adverts at all. I believe there are some builds that are full of ads. The version of the build I choose takes up around 500mb roughly.

You don't need a build though that's the point, its addons are whats needed, builds are just a collection of addons
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 5th Sep 17, 9:38 PM
    • 26,719 Posts
    • 14,444 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    You don't need a build though that's the point, its addons are whats needed, builds are just a collection of addons
    Yeah true but recently my dad lost his build on his tablet but the add ons were still there. He found it annoying. The build makes it more user friendly I think. Plus if you just get add ons you need to know what add ons do what, how good they are and where to find them. Some builds are better than others. We used to use a different one which was ok, we are very happy with the current build which is much better.
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 5th Sep 17, 9:41 PM
    • 4,835 Posts
    • 3,836 Thanks
    glentoran99
    Yeah true but recently my dad lost his build on his tablet but the add ons were still there. He found it annoying. The build makes it more user friendly I think. Plus if you just get add ons you need to know what add ons do what, how good they are and where to find them. Some builds are better than others. We used to use a different one which was ok, we are very happy with the current build which is much better.

How many of the Addons would you actually use? 500mb is a big build for a firestick and chances are its slowing it down.

that said if your happy and it works why change it

I think my kodi is about 3 versions ago,
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 5th Sep 17, 9:52 PM
    • 26,719 Posts
    • 14,444 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    How many of the Addons would you actually use? 500mb is a big build for a firestick and chances are its slowing it down.

that said if your happy and it works why change it

Quite a few actually. For example if a movie doesnt work or cant be found on one you can sometimes have joy on another. Same goes for trying to find a particular footie match. A popular movie addon ended recently and has been replaced. If I had just had the original add on I wouldn't have known that.
    Edit.
    On the size, I have heard of builds that are as much as 1gb. So 500mb isn't too bad. It runs well enough on the firestick. Not as good as on a mobile device but still good enough. You can watch a movie without buffering the majority of the time.
    Last edited by donnajunkie; 05-09-2017 at 9:55 PM.
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 5th Sep 17, 9:57 PM
    • 26,719 Posts
    • 14,444 Thanks
    donnajunkie

We still have 16.1 on a couple of devices and the build we use is still supporting it. They think add ons will start to stop supporting it and force us over to 17.
    • mobileron
    • By mobileron 6th Sep 17, 4:42 AM
    • 31 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    mobileron
    do a clean install of Kodi adding wookie wizard lite,give you all you need.
    • prenton01
    • By prenton01 6th Sep 17, 7:49 AM
    • 187 Posts
    • 83 Thanks
    prenton01
    I have my own build

Everest build very user friendly if anyone wants to try it message me
    Hi there! We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 6th Sep 17, 9:02 AM
    • 2,908 Posts
    • 1,987 Thanks
    AndyPix
    We still have 16.1 on a couple of devices and the build we use is still supporting it. They think add ons will start to stop supporting it and force us over to 17.

You will find that you hardly see any sources on 16.x now as it is not capeable of using https streams, which most sources have now moved to.

All this build stuff is just symantics anyway, what you have is a collection of addons and a custom skin to be precise and as mentioned above it is simple to install the addons independently if you know the locations.
    Most addons scrape their content from the same sources anyway so they are all pretty much of a muchness.
    500Gb is huge for a firestick build - I bet that runs clunky
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 6th Sep 17, 9:33 AM
    • 3,496 Posts
    • 3,553 Thanks
    DoaM
    500GB? 500MB you mean.

PS - it is semantics ... you've been replying to too many AV threads.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 6th Sep 17, 9:42 AM
    • 2,908 Posts
    • 1,987 Thanks
    AndyPix
    500GB? 500MB you mean.

Originally posted by DoaM

Love that .. I havent had coffee yet #excuse
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 6th Sep 17, 9:51 AM
    • 4,835 Posts
    • 3,836 Thanks
    glentoran99
    You will find that you hardly see any sources on 16.x now as it is not capeable of using https streams, which most sources have now moved to.

All this build stuff is just symantics anyway, what you have is a collection of addons and a custom skin to be precise and as mentioned above it is simple to install the addons independently if you know the locations.
    Most addons scrape their content from the same sources anyway so they are all pretty much of a muchness.

im still getting plenty of sources.
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 6th Sep 17, 9:53 AM
    • 2,908 Posts
    • 1,987 Thanks
    AndyPix
    ^^ Interesting - are you using VPN ?
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 6th Sep 17, 6:28 PM
    • 26,719 Posts
    • 14,444 Thanks
    donnajunkie

Haven't had any issues with 16 yet. Don't really have any issues on the fire stick, although yes it isn't quite as efficient as other devices.
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 6th Sep 17, 6:30 PM
    • 26,719 Posts
    • 14,444 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    500GB? 500MB you mean.

Originally posted by DoaM
    Just looked back. I did put 500mb. Someone else incorrectly read that as gb. I didn't notice the mistake they made until you just pointed it out.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

34Posts Today

4,270Users online

Martin's Twitter