Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Supernatural
    • By Supernatural 2nd Sep 17, 12:06 PM
    • 139Posts
    • 237Thanks
    Supernatural
    Council Tax Liability On Attendance Allowance
    • 2nd Sep 17, 12:06 PM
    Council Tax Liability On Attendance Allowance 2nd Sep 17 at 12:06 PM
    My mother found out this week she has been awarded the higher rate of Attendance Allowance after Age Concern helped her with applying. She lives with my father and they own their own home, they are both 76. They weren't paying any council tax due to receiving pension credit. This morning she has had a letter stating they now want £30.95 a week in council tax from them! I thought AA and DLA/PP wasn't counted when calculating their liability, is this right? She thought she'd be better off claiming AA, have the council made a mistake?

Any advice appreciated.
    Last edited by Supernatural; 02-09-2017 at 12:08 PM.
    Strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government
Page 1
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 2nd Sep 17, 12:37 PM
    • 1,357 Posts
    • 1,199 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 2nd Sep 17, 12:37 PM
    My mother found out this week she has been awarded the higher rate of Attendance Allowance after Age Concern helped her with applying. She lives with my father and they own their own home, they are both 76. They weren't paying any council tax due to receiving pension credit. This morning she has had a letter stating they now want £30.95 a week in council tax from them! I thought AA and DLA/PP wasn't counted when calculating their liability, is this right? She thought she'd be better off claiming AA, have the council made a mistake?

Any advice appreciated.
    Originally posted by Supernatural
    It's not counted because it's a non means tested benefit but each council have their own rules for Council Tax, even for those claiming benefits. Some ask you to pay a small amount and some don't but that amount sounds an awful lot. I'd ask them to ring their local council Monday morning.
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 2nd Sep 17, 12:37 PM
    • 10,650 Posts
    • 12,539 Thanks
    pmlindyloo

Any advice appreciated.
    Are they still receiving guarantee Pension Credit?

If they are then they should be still entitled to full council tax reduction.

Have they had any change of circumstances? Any non dependants living with them?

Attendance Allowance should make no difference.

What does the letter actually say? Can you tell us which figures they have used and how they have worked out the amount they are asking for?
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 2nd Sep 17, 12:44 PM
    • 7,123 Posts
    • 9,935 Thanks
    KxMx
    • 2nd Sep 17, 12:44 PM
    • 2nd Sep 17, 12:44 PM
    Even if that figure is correct, at £83.10 a week AA your mother is still better off (+£50 a week) than no AA & full CT paid.
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 2nd Sep 17, 1:05 PM
    • 22,881 Posts
    • 13,235 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 2nd Sep 17, 1:05 PM
    • 2nd Sep 17, 1:05 PM
    http://www.ageuk.org.uk/money-matters/claiming-benefits/council-tax-benefit/

https://www.gov.uk/attendance-allowance/what-youll-get

You could get extra Pension Credit, Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction if you get Attendance Allowance check with the helpline or office dealing with your benefit.

Seems a bit odd to get less support!

Contact the council to clarify.
    Last edited by xylophone; 02-09-2017 at 1:07 PM. Reason: add bold
    • Supernatural
    • By Supernatural 2nd Sep 17, 2:48 PM
    • 139 Posts
    • 237 Thanks
    Supernatural
    • 2nd Sep 17, 2:48 PM
    • 2nd Sep 17, 2:48 PM
    Are they still receiving guarantee Pension Credit?

If they are then they should be still entitled to full council tax reduction.

Have they had any change of circumstances? Any non dependants living with them?

Attendance Allowance should make no difference.

What does the letter actually say? Can you tell us which figures they have used and how they have worked out the amount they are asking for?
    Originally posted by pmlindyloo
    I haven't actually seen the letter yet, just received an upset text this morning from mum

They are still getting guarantee Pension Credit, the only change is the award of AA this week, which was backdated from July when the Age Concern lady filled it out and sent it. I didn't think it would affect their entitlement like this, it's Essex County Council if that makes anything clearer.

Thanks for your help everyone, I have told them to contact Age Concern and the council on Monday, surely this isn't right
    Strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government
    • Housing Benefit Officer
    • By Housing Benefit Officer 2nd Sep 17, 3:31 PM
    • 2,355 Posts
    • 4,199 Thanks
    Housing Benefit Officer
    • 2nd Sep 17, 3:31 PM
    • 2nd Sep 17, 3:31 PM
    Guarantee Credit means 100% Council Tax Support for pensioners. There should be no change in their Council Tax Support. They have probably misunderstood the benefit award letter. It might say liability £30.65 per week and then in the calculation it should say award £30.65 per week.
    These are my own views and you should seek advice from your local Benefits Department or CAB.
    • Supernatural
    • By Supernatural 2nd Sep 17, 11:38 PM
    • 139 Posts
    • 237 Thanks
    Supernatural
    • 2nd Sep 17, 11:38 PM
    • 2nd Sep 17, 11:38 PM
    Guarantee Credit means 100% Council Tax Support for pensioners. There should be no change in their Council Tax Support. They have probably misunderstood the benefit award letter. It might say liability £30.65 per week and then in the calculation it should say award £30.65 per week.
    Originally posted by Housing Benefit Officer
    Thanks for that, I'll check the letter myself, that might well be the case, they do get flustered with letters at times
    • Housing Benefit Officer
    • By Housing Benefit Officer 3rd Sep 17, 7:27 AM
    • 2,355 Posts
    • 4,199 Thanks
    Housing Benefit Officer
    • 3rd Sep 17, 7:27 AM
    • 3rd Sep 17, 7:27 AM
    Thanks for that, I'll check the letter myself, that might well be the case, they do get flustered with letters at times
    Most benefit notifications are confusing even when someone has attempted to change it into plain English.
    These are my own views and you should seek advice from your local Benefits Department or CAB.
    • CIS
    • By CIS 3rd Sep 17, 4:35 PM
    • 9,973 Posts
    • 5,692 Thanks
    CIS
    They should also receive a new Council Tax demand notice - that will also show if there is anything to pay or not.

Craig
    I no longer work in Council Tax Recovery as I'm now a self employed Council Tax advisor and consultant with my own Council Tax consultancy business. My views are my own reading of the law and you should always check with the local authority in question.
    • Supernatural
    • By Supernatural 3rd Sep 17, 7:59 PM
    • 139 Posts
    • 237 Thanks
    Supernatural
    They should also receive a new Council Tax demand notice - that will also show if there is anything to pay or not.

Craig
    Originally posted by CIS
    Oh blimey, I'll warn them about that one then before they get into another state. After going round the houses it should say nil if they still get the guarantee pension credit, right?

My father has significant difficulties too and really should claim but it's things like this that put him off, shame really
    • CIS
    • By CIS 4th Sep 17, 3:05 PM
    • 9,973 Posts
    • 5,692 Thanks
    CIS
    Oh blimey, I'll warn them about that one then before they get into another state. After going round the houses it should say nil if they still get the guarantee pension credit, right?

My father has significant difficulties too and really should claim but it's things like this that put him off, shame really
    It should show the council tax charge less any council tax reduction (CTR) - if it's been awarded in full for the year then it should show a nil balance (or a credit if they've paid anything). Guaranteed Pension Credit should result in an award full CTR.
    I no longer work in Council Tax Recovery as I'm now a self employed Council Tax advisor and consultant with my own Council Tax consultancy business. My views are my own reading of the law and you should always check with the local authority in question.
    • tboo
    • By tboo 4th Sep 17, 6:03 PM
    • 475 Posts
    • 1,501 Thanks
    tboo

Wouldn't be easier if you nominated your address to receive the council HB letters and then relayed the result to your parents?

----------------------------------------------------------
    “Life is change. Growth is optional. Choose wisely.”
    ----------------------------------------------
    • Supernatural
    • By Supernatural 10th Sep 17, 2:24 PM
    • 139 Posts
    • 237 Thanks
    Supernatural
    Wouldn't be easier if you nominated your address to receive the council HB letters and then relayed the result to your parents?
    Originally posted by tboo
    My father is very independant and probably wouldn't be happy with that, something for the future maybe.

Thank you both, no letter has arrived yet but I'm expecting it, will help 'translate' it for them
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

83Posts Today

1,851Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin