Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • diogrwydd
    • By diogrwydd 2nd Sep 17, 9:33 AM
    • 18Posts
    • 4Thanks
    diogrwydd
    Propagate grapes growing over wall from next door
    • 2nd Sep 17, 9:33 AM
    Propagate grapes growing over wall from next door 2nd Sep 17 at 9:33 AM
    The terraced house behind us is in a state of disrepair and overgrown, but it's obvious at somepoint someone has spent a bit of time in the garden.

This summer I've been surprised by some grapes growing over to our side, which will soon be going into some home brew

I'm concious that someone is sure to buy and gut the property at somepoint. What can I do now to start propagating the overhang to grow something on my side?

I'm totally new to this, but planning on revamping the garden to start growing some veg. Silly additional question, but what kind of square footage would be considered appropriate for a decent yield per person? Planning on growing carrots, spinach, courgette, potatoes, garlic, brocolli
Page 1
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 2nd Sep 17, 10:01 AM
    • 23,105 Posts
    • 88,433 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 2nd Sep 17, 10:01 AM
    • 2nd Sep 17, 10:01 AM
    When the leaves fall off the grape vines in autumn, cut down some stems, slice through them at the nodes and stick the resulting pieces with at least one other pair of leaf nodes into good soil. The best place is somewhere sheltered and partly shaded, such as near the base of a wall or fence.

By next spring some of these cuttings should start to sprout new leaves. Dig them up and move to final positions in late summer '18 when they are growing away well and making plenty of new growth. Keep well watered till obviously happy & established.

That's all there is to it.*

* EDIT: No it's not! This will probably only work well for ornamentals, like vitis purpurea, cognitiae, incana etc, Dessert grapes usually need grafting. Whoops!
    Last edited by Davesnave; 02-09-2017 at 12:50 PM.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • I have spoken
    • By I have spoken 2nd Sep 17, 12:28 PM
    • 4,963 Posts
    • 9,655 Thanks
    I have spoken
    • 2nd Sep 17, 12:28 PM
    • 2nd Sep 17, 12:28 PM
    I was minded dessert grapes were grafted onto a robust rootstock?
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 2nd Sep 17, 12:47 PM
    • 23,105 Posts
    • 88,433 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 2nd Sep 17, 12:47 PM
    • 2nd Sep 17, 12:47 PM
    Originally posted by I have spoken
    You are so right!

I forgot that, as I only propagate ornamental varieties.

Have amended the post above.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • Farway
    • By Farway 2nd Sep 17, 2:32 PM
    • 5,491 Posts
    • 6,690 Thanks
    Farway
    • 2nd Sep 17, 2:32 PM
    • 2nd Sep 17, 2:32 PM
    I used to propagate mine, outdoor dessert, really easy

Cut a length of hardwood, no limit. Cut the length into about 2 - 3 inch chunks, about as long as your thumb, no need to worry about nodes, but make sure at least one bud per length

Slice along the length to remove about 1/8 of the bark and wood

Lay the resultant 7/8ths left lengths in a tray, just pressing into the compost

Water & wait

Some will take, some will not, so take a lot more than you want, give or sell excess away
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 7th Sep 17, 10:44 PM
    • 1,567 Posts
    • 2,074 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    • 7th Sep 17, 10:44 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 10:44 PM
    Originally posted by I have spoken
    I thoughtk that was only since phyloxera (sp?) and for vitis vinifera varieties.

Mind you, I'm only interested in the vinifera bit.

I used to live not far down the road from the last ungrafted vineyards in Europe due to the altitude. Prie Blanc was the grape, so go skiing at Courmayeur and try and pick up a few cuttings: it's as basic as Farway says to propogate.:-)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

369Posts Today

4,457Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin