Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MarieMac
    • By MarieMac 2nd Sep 17, 8:38 AM
    • 13Posts
    • 60Thanks
    MarieMac
    Kondo Marie vs Julie Morgenstern?
    • 2nd Sep 17, 8:38 AM
    Kondo Marie vs Julie Morgenstern? 2nd Sep 17 at 8:38 AM
    Has anyone read/used both Marie Kondo and Julie Morgenstern's books to help get their homes organized and decluttered? I've heard good things about both and not sure which to go with first - obviously MK is extremely popular but I'm not sure how much of that is just down to trendiness. I know there are a lot of people who have used the Kondo method on this forum so I figured I'd ask you lovely people if you have any recommendations? Or some other method you have found that works better for you?

I unfortunately can't check them out of the library to compare as there are waiting lists for both with 10+ people on them and so there is no way to read them before buying. I have several days off coming up and I'm planning on using them to get a handle on tidying up my living space so I'd really rather not wait the many months it would take for my turn to come up on the waiting list.
Page 2
    • maman
    • By maman 4th Sep 17, 1:06 PM
    • 16,648 Posts
    • 99,454 Thanks
    maman
    I second PWD and Maman.

Somehow the Marie Kondo method of seeing what you love and want to keep, and how to release the rest of the Stuff really works for me.
    The way of organising does indeed encourage continued neatness, which in turn makes life A LOT easier. Being able to open a drawer and instantly see the full range of undies, t-shirts, nightwear, or whatever, same with kitchen implements, books, craft supplies (!), etc, etc, is a joy in itself. Saves SO MUCH time and stress!

Dealing with your entire stock of one item (be that coats, shoes, tops, pans, mugs, scissors, pens, necklaces, chairs, or whatever) is a sure way to find out you have far more, say, scissors thatn you realised or need! I bet everyone has been surprised by the number of things they have in each of the categories.

Whichever way suits you, you will not regret reducing the amount of Stuff in your home.
    Good luck!

M
    Originally posted by MMF007

Couldn't agree more. When I first did it, I kept opening the drawers just to gaze at my handiwork!
    • cbsexec
    • By cbsexec 6th Sep 17, 2:47 PM
    • 329 Posts
    • 1,790 Thanks
    cbsexec
    MK worked for me too. I have always been the untidy one! Now I have an underwear drawer to be proud of.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,350Posts Today

6,121Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin