Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • deaston
    • By deaston 2nd Sep 17, 7:49 AM
    • 467Posts
    • 258Thanks
    deaston
    Should I tell a driver's insurer about their accident?
    • 2nd Sep 17, 7:49 AM
    Should I tell a driver's insurer about their accident? 2nd Sep 17 at 7:49 AM
    Yesterday I was driving in a 40 zone when I was overtaken by someone very clearly breaking the limit. A couple of corners later, I passed them in a hedge.

My dashcam shows I was doing 37mph when they roared past me. Does breaking the speed limit void your insurance? Should I pass my footage to their insurers and, if so, how can I find out who their insurers are?
Page 2
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 2nd Sep 17, 1:23 PM
    • 9,579 Posts
    • 10,743 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    Grass. .
    Originally posted by worried jim

According to the OP, it was actually a hedge.
    • debtdebt
    • By debtdebt 2nd Sep 17, 1:26 PM
    • 318 Posts
    • 199 Thanks
    debtdebt
    OP, have you ever broken the speed limit?
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 2nd Sep 17, 2:29 PM
    • 563 Posts
    • 295 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    OP, have you ever broken the speed limit?
    Originally posted by debtdebt
    Not but he's driven down a hole.
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 2nd Sep 17, 2:31 PM
    • 8,692 Posts
    • 13,265 Thanks
    worried jim
    Not but he's driven down a hole.
    Originally posted by Warwick Hunt
    Somebody else's hole too boot!
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 2nd Sep 17, 3:19 PM
    • 2,778 Posts
    • 2,784 Thanks
    cjdavies
    Op, I for one wouldnt have called the ambulance ect either, likes others said nothing to do with you and no point grassing them up.
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 2nd Sep 17, 3:56 PM
    • 1,836 Posts
    • 2,630 Thanks
    Robisere
    A fine line exists between "public spirited" and "interfering busybody". You may have crossed it.

As has been said, if you hear of an appeal for witnesses, you could get involved. However, it may also emerge that you drove on (did you?) without offering assistance, which would be morally wrong and certainly not public-spirited. It would have been much more in a public spirit, to do that. (did you?)
    There may be more than one way to skin a cat.
    But the result is always inedible.

• Muscle750
    • By Muscle750 2nd Sep 17, 8:39 PM
    • 888 Posts
    • 270 Thanks
    Muscle750
    And how would the OP feel if someone did something similar to them.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 3rd Sep 17, 9:35 AM
    • 1,525 Posts
    • 1,049 Thanks
    Tarambor
    I honestly don't understand why I've been turned upon. It was a simple question that only needed a simple answer - no need for the sarcasm and personal remarks.
    Originally posted by deaston
    Want to know why you've been turned on? Your holier than thou attitude. You are not a perfect driver, you are far from a perfect driver, especially on roads like motorways.

I can guarantee you drive like a muppet in comparison to someone like me who has a vocational driving license and a couple of million miles under my belt. Maybe I should follow you around and inform your insurance company of every infraction you make. I can guarantee that speeding will be on there, absolutely 100% guarantee it especially entering a 30MPH limit from a 60MPH limit because I would bet my house you're not doing 30 by the time you hit the sign and on the way out of the 30 to the NSL you've started accelerating before you've reached the sign.

I'm someone who doesn't like watching my insurance premium creep up year-on-year because of people like this driver ignoring the highway code, stacking their car and then (possibly) claiming on their insurance.
    You're annoyed? Try being me doing 100,000-150,000 miles a year, more miles in a year than many do in a decade, points and accident free watching my car insurance rise.
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 3rd Sep 17, 7:16 PM
    • 2,389 Posts
    • 1,553 Thanks
    Car 54
    I honestly don't understand why I've been turned upon. It was a simple question that only needed a simple answer - no need for the sarcasm and personal remarks.

I'm someone who doesn't like watching my insurance premium creep up year-on-year because of people like this driver ignoring the highway code, stacking their car and then (possibly) claiming on their insurance.
    Clearly, ignoring the highway code is to be deplored.

Have you not ignored Annex 7, which gives advice on helping those involved in accidents?

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/annex-7-first-aid-on-the-road
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 3rd Sep 17, 8:01 PM
    • 2,778 Posts
    • 2,784 Thanks
    cjdavies
    Clearly, ignoring the highway code is to be deplored.

Have you not ignored Annex 7, which gives advice on helping those involved in accidents?

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/annex-7-first-aid-on-the-road
    Originally posted by Car 54
    Do you have to help or is that just guidance on what to do?
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 3rd Sep 17, 11:08 PM
    • 2,389 Posts
    • 1,553 Thanks
    Car 54
    Do you have to help?
    Originally posted by cjdavies
    Only if you're a decent human being, or want to occupy the moral high ground to which the OP seems to aspire.
    • CardinalWolsey
    • By CardinalWolsey 4th Sep 17, 9:05 AM
    • 103 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    CardinalWolsey
    To help compensate for your creeping insurance costs, how about sending the video here:

http://www.itv.com/youvebeenframed/upload
    • caprikid1
    • By caprikid1 4th Sep 17, 9:06 AM
    • 473 Posts
    • 481 Thanks
    caprikid1
    Another DCW
    • deaston
    • By deaston 6th Sep 17, 8:41 AM
    • 467 Posts
    • 258 Thanks
    deaston
    You are not a perfect driver, you are far from a perfect driver, especially on roads like motorways.

I can guarantee you drive like a muppet in comparison to someone like me
    Originally posted by Tarambor
    Wow. I have no idea how you know about my driving abilities, but I'm very sure I'm not the best driver - far from it. But I'm not a dangerous driver and do my very best to adhere to the rules of the road.

I would bet my house you're not doing 30 by the time you hit the sign and on the way out of the 30 to the NSL you've started accelerating before you've reached the sign.
    Originally posted by Tarambor
    Well, you'd be wrong. I never, ever speed. In fact, 30 into NSL is the place I most often get overtaken because I'm not flooring it the moment I see the NSL sign. But you keep your house. You'll need it when self-driving vehicles replace your low-paid, low skilled job and you end up scrabbling around for an equally low-paid, low skilled job.
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 6th Sep 17, 9:55 AM
    • 4,582 Posts
    • 3,985 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    Low-paid, low skilled job.
    You ever actually driven an LGV?

I doubt your perfect car-driving skills would translate well into the 'low-skilled' world of manoeuvring a 44T, 6-axled, ~14M long articulated lorry.

Also, do you actually know how much, for example, a fully Hazmat trained HGV driver earns for towing 36,000L of your petrol or diesel around? It's significantly more than the average UK salary, so doesn't actually fit the description of 'low-paid'; nor does the 'average' LGV driver.

Low paid is a factory worker on NMW earning 14K a year, not an ONS average LGV driver earning 27K a year or a tanker driver earning an average 33K+.

ETA Source (ONS ASHE 2016 provisional):
    http://bit.ly/2eJUlQf
    Last edited by BeenThroughItAll; 06-09-2017 at 10:05 AM.
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 6th Sep 17, 9:58 AM
    • 15,128 Posts
    • 14,763 Thanks
    Guest101
    Yesterday I was driving in a 40 zone when I was overtaken by someone very clearly breaking the limit. A couple of corners later, I passed them in a hedge.

My dashcam shows I was doing 37mph when they roared past me. Does breaking the speed limit void your insurance? Should I pass my footage to their insurers and, if so, how can I find out who their insurers are?
    hahahahaha.....
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 6th Sep 17, 10:01 AM
    • 1,101 Posts
    • 1,334 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    But you keep your house. You'll need it when self-driving vehicles replace your low-paid, low skilled job and you end up scrabbling around for an equally low-paid, low skilled job.
    Blimey, and he calls other posters small-minded.

Doesn't get the responses he'd like on his posts, so everyone must be out to get him. Talk about digging himself into a hole...oh wait, he's found someone else's to save him the bother.
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 7th Sep 17, 6:37 PM
    • 10,653 Posts
    • 6,957 Thanks
    bigadaj
    Don't agree with dEaston but his point about self driving vehicles will be right in a few years.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,585Posts Today

7,581Users online

Martin's Twitter