Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nobile
    • By nobile 1st Sep 17, 5:10 PM
    • 458Posts
    • 45Thanks
    nobile
    IS it possible to issue buyer with a partial refund
    • 1st Sep 17, 5:10 PM
    IS it possible to issue buyer with a partial refund 1st Sep 17 at 5:10 PM
    I sold an item yesterday, offering 1st Class / Signed for delivery, however upon taking it to the Post Office, the actual cost was a lot higher as I underestimated the weight of the item.

Basically I charged for 2nd Class / Signed for - so that's how I sent it, but want to refund £1 back. How do I do it?

I just see an option in Paypal for 'Refund this Payment' which I think might be the whole amount?

Any ideas? Thanks
    Last edited by nobile; 01-09-2017 at 7:05 PM. Reason: detail
Page 1
    • Tealblue
    • By Tealblue 1st Sep 17, 6:08 PM
    • 660 Posts
    • 1,023 Thanks
    Tealblue
    • 1st Sep 17, 6:08 PM
    • 1st Sep 17, 6:08 PM
    'Refund this payment' gives you a chance to fill in the amount you intend to refund - but have you checked the buyer was happy to have the item sent second class...? It's up to you to check the weight before you list the item; you can't just change what you promised because you made an error. Explain what you've done and that you are giving a £1 refund and with luck all will be well if the item wasn't needed urgently.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 1st Sep 17, 6:44 PM
    • 11,186 Posts
    • 7,489 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 1st Sep 17, 6:44 PM
    • 1st Sep 17, 6:44 PM
    What you offered and what the buyer purchased may not be the same. What did the buyer pay for? Did you send it the way you contracted to send it?
    • nobile
    • By nobile 1st Sep 17, 7:03 PM
    • 458 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    nobile
    • 1st Sep 17, 7:03 PM
    • 1st Sep 17, 7:03 PM
    My daughter actually took it to the P.O.

I had asked her to post it 1st Class Signed for, but because she didn't have enough cash on her, she made the decision to post it 2nd Class Signed for.

I had charged £4.99 P&P but the P.O asked for nearly £7, so she paid £3.90 and sent it 2nd Class Signed for.

I have refunded the difference (£1.09) with a full explanation.

Lesson learnt - I suppose this is what happens when you are an occasional seller & not so savvy! Hopefully buyer will accept explanation.
    • nobile
    • By nobile 1st Sep 17, 7:36 PM
    • 458 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    nobile
    • 1st Sep 17, 7:36 PM
    • 1st Sep 17, 7:36 PM
    All resolved - buyer said absolutely no problem, and also said no need to make the refund, but I have.

What a nice guy!!

Thanks to all
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 1st Sep 17, 7:37 PM
    • 11,186 Posts
    • 7,489 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 1st Sep 17, 7:37 PM
    • 1st Sep 17, 7:37 PM
    You need to be checking weights and offering something that suits you as £7 is a lot. Hermes may be an alternative.

However, that aside, you can refund the overpayment by going to the Paypal transaction and click the refund button (don't be too hasty or you will refund the entire payment). Enter the amount you want to refund, double check it is correct and then refund.

edit - cross posted with your response. Glad it all worked out ok.
    • FluffityBunny
    • By FluffityBunny 1st Sep 17, 7:53 PM
    • 133 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    FluffityBunny
    • 1st Sep 17, 7:53 PM
    • 1st Sep 17, 7:53 PM
    Also in future consider the question "does the item really need to be sent recorded?", if it's a low cost item (worth under £20) then it's not really worth it. I send all my ebay items 2nd class and charge that, if an item went for more than £20 (more than I'd expected) then I'd add recorded free of charge to the buyer. A lot of buyers don't like items being sent recorded as they often have to go and collect the item from their sorting office if they are not in to receive it.

It's great that you had a happy ebay buyer
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 2nd Sep 17, 10:36 AM
    • 13,084 Posts
    • 17,301 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 2nd Sep 17, 10:36 AM
    • 2nd Sep 17, 10:36 AM
    A lot of buyers don't like items being sent recorded as they often have to go and collect the item from their sorting office if they are not in to receive it.
    Originally posted by FluffityBunny
    Me included. If I have to go and get an item from the sorting office, it's a 20 mile round trip and often difficult to get there during their opening hours.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • ontheup1972
    • By ontheup1972 7th Sep 17, 5:40 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    ontheup1972
    • 7th Sep 17, 5:40 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 5:40 PM
    Of course, all parcels sent through the post office now have delivery confirmation as standard, so not that much need for signed for in a lot of cases.
    • mrcol1000
    • By mrcol1000 7th Sep 17, 6:32 PM
    • 4,420 Posts
    • 3,799 Thanks
    mrcol1000
    Of course, all parcels sent through the post office now have delivery confirmation as standard, so not that much need for signed for in a lot of cases.
    Originally posted by ontheup1972

Its not guaranteed confirmation though. From what I have heard, if its raining, the sun in the wrong direction or they are being chased by a dog, then the postmen don't scan to get confirmation before sticking it through the letterbox.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 7th Sep 17, 7:13 PM
    • 59,471 Posts
    • 42,177 Thanks
    soolin
    Its not guaranteed confirmation though. From what I have heard, if its raining, the sun in the wrong direction or they are being chased by a dog, then the postmen don't scan to get confirmation before sticking it through the letterbox.
    Originally posted by mrcol1000
    Mine have actually been very good, at least as reliable as signed for. The only disadvantage is the 'insurance' value remains at £20.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • ontheup1972
    • By ontheup1972 8th Sep 17, 11:39 AM
    • 74 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    ontheup1972
    Originally posted by mrcol1000
    I'd say about 9 in every 10 is scanned. It's worth it to just send standard under £20 as that's the compensation level available if there is no scan and you do need to make a claim.

If the parcel is worth more than £20 then the sender has to make a decision to send standard or signed for.

In my experience, whenever I have sent SF in the past, only around 7 in 10 were ever signed for!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,607Posts Today

8,204Users online

Martin's Twitter