Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • quoit
    • By quoit 1st Sep 17, 3:49 PM
    • 43Posts
    • 22Thanks
    quoit
    Major overhaul of Sky Sports has cost me money
    • 1st Sep 17, 3:49 PM
    Major overhaul of Sky Sports has cost me money 1st Sep 17 at 3:49 PM
    Anyone else on a discounted Sky subscription package been hit by a price hike due to changes and re-branding of Sky Sports package back in July?

Prior to the changes, my discounted monthly package was as follows:

Box Sets with Sports = £65.50
    Less 60% discount = (£39.30)
    Monthly Bill = £26.20

Since the re-branding of the Sky Sports package, I'll now be charged the following:

Box Sets = £38.00
    Less 60% discount = (£22.80)
    Sky Sports Complete Pack = £27.50
    Monthly Bill = £42.70

Therefore the 60% discount now only applies to the Box Sets portion of the subscription, whilst Sky Sports is charged at full price.

According to my recent Sky bill... "This change is due to the re-branding of the Sky Sports package" and "because you added or removed something from your package during or around this billing period"

Well actually, I didn't add or remove anything from my package.

Sky did all that!

All very sneaky IMO.

Time to cancel my subscription... AGAIN.
Page 1
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 1st Sep 17, 5:12 PM
    • 2,552 Posts
    • 18,330 Thanks
    mije1983
    • 1st Sep 17, 5:12 PM
    • 1st Sep 17, 5:12 PM
    Nope. Mine has stayed the same price.

• Box Sets £15.20
    • Box Sets £38.00
    • Viewing Subscription Discounted-£22.80

• Sky Sports - Complete Pack £11.00
    • Sky Sports - Complete Pack £27.50
    • Sky Sports Subscription Discounted-£16.50

• Sky Cinema £3.40
    • Sky Cinema £8.50
    • Sky Cinema Subscription Discounted-£5.10
    What reason have Sky given?

• quoit
    • By quoit 1st Sep 17, 5:38 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    quoit
    • 1st Sep 17, 5:38 PM
    • 1st Sep 17, 5:38 PM
    Nope. Mine has stayed the same price.
    Originally posted by mije1983
    Interesting... maybe it's just me who has been hit with this price hike then?

What reason have Sky given?
    According to my recent Sky bill... "This change is due to the re-branding of the Sky Sports package" and "because you added or removed something from your package during or around this billing period"

I've actually done nothing at all.

I'll try contacting them via Online Chat to query my latest bill (27 Aug) and why I'm now being charged full price for Sky Sports.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 2nd Sep 17, 4:07 PM
    • 4,430 Posts
    • 1,816 Thanks
    brewerdave
    • 2nd Sep 17, 4:07 PM
    • 2nd Sep 17, 4:07 PM
    I've found the same thing in the final bill of my discounted 12 months. The September bill includes all agreed discounts, the October bill should be between the full discounted amount (£28.60) and the full amount (£71.50) but is actually showing as £80.75 !! Looks like "they" have cancelled the old Sports package and put me on the new, and in the process, co*ked up the discounts.
    I've been on the phone and on messaging - neither have really given an explanation but both insist that it will update correctly after the payment for Sept. is taken!! I'll wait and see
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 2nd Sep 17, 5:04 PM
    • 2,552 Posts
    • 18,330 Thanks
    mije1983
    • 2nd Sep 17, 5:04 PM
    • 2nd Sep 17, 5:04 PM

I've actually done nothing at all.

I'll try contacting them via Online Chat to query.........
    Originally posted by quoit

I actually meant what have they said when you've asked them, not what their generic small print says.

But from your final comment, it seems you haven't yet asked them.

• quoit
    • By quoit 3rd Sep 17, 1:28 AM
    • 43 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    quoit
    • 3rd Sep 17, 1:28 AM
    • 3rd Sep 17, 1:28 AM
    I've found the same thing in the final bill of my discounted 12 months. The September bill includes all agreed discounts, the October bill should be between the full discounted amount (£28.60) and the full amount (£71.50) but is actually showing as £80.75 !! Looks like "they" have cancelled the old Sports package and put me on the new, and in the process, co*ked up the discounts.
    I've been on the phone and on messaging - neither have really given an explanation but both insist that it will update correctly after the payment for Sept. is taken!! I'll wait and see
    Originally posted by brewerdave
    Well, it's all gone a bit awry for me.

I tried phoning them, got through to call centre who informed me that I'd have to be put on hold as waiting time was 30 minutes to speak to one of their Sky "experts". Instead, I ended up getting connected to a very busy Online Chat session which lasted an hour.

I explained that I'd been massively overcharged on 27th August and that my Sky account was indicating the reason was due to a change of package (the addition of Sky Sports) authorised by myself around the same time as Sky re-packaged all their Sports channels. I explained that I already had Sky Sports as part of my package and was only halfway through a 60% discount period due to end in Feb 2017.

The Customer Service (CS) rep responded by saying I couldn't get as much as a 60% discount but he'll see what other offers are available to me instead, at which point I said... forget it, I'd like to cancel my subscription.

At this point, the CS rep began scrutinising my account details and billing discrepancies and then apologised... after some delay, the CS rep returned to the chat and said he didn't understand why this had happened.

The CS rep said my 60% discount would be restored and furthermore, I would be offered an extra incentive of Sky Sports HD pack for £2 a month instead of the usual £6 a month and my bill would reduce from £44.20 a month to £40.20. I thought "fair enough", that's reasonable. I was paying £26.20 (Box Sets + Sky Sports) + £6 (HD) + £12 (Multiscreen) = £44.20 per month.

The CS rep then said I had to commit to another 12 months contract, at which point I said no thanks as I don't wish to be tied to any contract longer than the rolling 31 day period. The 12 month 60% discounted package I was already on included no such commitment, and I've never accepted any offers that commit me to any period longer than a month :-)

For some bizarre reason, the CS rep wouldn't budge on the 12 month contract stipulation so I requested cancellation to proceed. My TV services are now due to switch off on Oct 2nd.

Since the Online Chat session yesterday, my Sky account indicates that my subscription is due to end, along with an offer of a 30% discount if I should change my mind -

Meanwhile, I also received an email which I expected would confirm my cancellation, but instead said the following...

Email from Sky: Confirming your Sky offer
    I'm writing to confirm that you've agreed to a new minimum term for the products listed in the table below:

Subscription: Sky TV*
    New minimum term Start Date: 01/09/2017
    New minimum term commitment: 18 months

Whatever

I usually cancel each year around Nov/Dec anyhow, so I've ended up cancelling a little earlier than usual. Let's see if I get any phone calls from them soon. I'd expect so.
    • quoit
    • By quoit 3rd Sep 17, 1:37 AM
    • 43 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    quoit
    • 3rd Sep 17, 1:37 AM
    • 3rd Sep 17, 1:37 AM
    I actually meant what have they said when you've asked them, not what their generic small print says.

But from your final comment, it seems you haven't yet asked them.
    Having being in touch, the answer is... they don't appear to have a clue why this error in billing has happened. Or if they do know, they aren't letting on.

Right, I'd better remove the dust from my Humax HDR-1100S in preparation for Sky being switched off
    • Batlord
    • By Batlord 5th Sep 17, 11:02 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Batlord
    • 5th Sep 17, 11:02 PM
    • 5th Sep 17, 11:02 PM
    Thought i'd check my bills tonight, as I never do...glad I did. I managed to get my bill to £49.50 a month (sky variety, HD package, F1 channel (which was an incentive when I took the hd package) and sky movies). 2 months ago it went up to £53, now this month has shot up to £62. No warning, letters or nothing. 12 quid a month hike is not on...and the annoying thing about their website is that it makes it impossible to downgrade, just shows you offers for their broadband
    • ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • By ididntgetwhereiamtoday 6th Sep 17, 7:24 AM
    • 985 Posts
    • 775 Thanks
    ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • 6th Sep 17, 7:24 AM
    • 6th Sep 17, 7:24 AM
    Thought i'd check my bills tonight, as I never do...glad I did. I managed to get my bill to £49.50 a month (sky variety, HD package, F1 channel (which was an incentive when I took the hd package) and sky movies). 2 months ago it went up to £53, now this month has shot up to £62. No warning, letters or nothing. 12 quid a month hike is not on...and the annoying thing about their website is that it makes it impossible to downgrade, just shows you offers for their broadband
    Originally posted by Batlord
    Just cancel it.
    I didn't get where i am today by not reading moneysavingexpert.com
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 6th Sep 17, 9:26 AM
    • 1,066 Posts
    • 480 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Thought i'd check my bills tonight, as I never do...

First off slap yourself about the head as penance for the above statement

It's not actually a price hike, it's just the end of your discount and I'm not aware of any company that advises you of this. I agree that they should but it is what it is.

I could have sworn you used to be able to downgrade but I've just checked and your right, there's no option (or it's just really well hidden).

Looks like you're in the annual dance again, seemingly like everyone on here, me included. I'd love to know how this Sky loyalty thing is supposed to work because I've been with them over 10 years and I haven't got an automatic extension.
    • Batlord
    • By Batlord 6th Sep 17, 7:31 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Batlord
    what annoys me is that my package last year was £82 (had talk & BB too) so rang up to try and get it down. They actually said it should be more but could still do a deal...a pound off. So cancelled talk & BB and got it down to £49.50. Loyalty is a swear word to them...will ring them when I've got spare 6 hours - looking at their FB page, that's how long the queue is!
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 6th Sep 17, 8:52 PM
    • 1,066 Posts
    • 480 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    what annoys me is that my package last year was £82 (had talk & BB too) so rang up to try and get it down. They actually said it should be more but could still do a deal...a pound off. So cancelled talk & BB and got it down to £49.50. Loyalty is a swear word to them...will ring them when I've got spare 6 hours - looking at their FB page, that's how long the queue is!
    I think the 6 hour wait someone mentions there is for the live chat, the wait time on the phone is a week next Tuesday.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 20th Sep 17, 10:14 AM
    • 4,430 Posts
    • 1,816 Thanks
    brewerdave
    As expected, the future bill for October is STILL incorrect after the Sept. payment has cleared.
    On the phone again to SKY this morning -after a 30 minute call involving two agents and a manager, they have agreed that the bill is nonsense. They agree that my 60% discount on the Sports pack has been removed from 2nd Sept when it should carry on til 30th October.
    They are now suggesting that the errors will be corrected when the next bill is actually produced at the end of the month.
    If it doesn't they have agreed to credit me with the difference of ~ £30. The nice Scottish lassie I talked with this am, has promised to phone me on Monday 2nd October to check that the bill is corrected -if she doesn't I will phone anyway to put in my 30 days notice!!
    • Dawning
    • By Dawning 22nd Sep 17, 9:20 AM
    • 465 Posts
    • 1,017 Thanks
    Dawning
    As expected, the future bill for October is STILL incorrect after the Sept. payment has cleared.
    On the phone again to SKY this morning -after a 30 minute call involving two agents and a manager, they have agreed that the bill is nonsense. They agree that my 60% discount on the Sports pack has been removed from 2nd Sept when it should carry on til 30th October.
    They are now suggesting that the errors will be corrected when the next bill is actually produced at the end of the month.
    If it doesn't they have agreed to credit me with the difference of ~ £30. The nice Scottish lassie I talked with this am, has promised to phone me on Monday 2nd October to check that the bill is corrected -if she doesn't I will phone anyway to put in my 30 days notice!!
    Similar has just happened to me.
    Checked online banking for something else, noted Sky have debited more than twice as much as it should be.
    Logged into My Sky and it's showing that *I* have made changes to my package. I haven't.
    I'm on a deal till the end of January next year.
    I'm now £50 down in my bank account unexpectedly and don't get paid for another week.
    Can't get through on the phone at all.

• Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 22nd Sep 17, 12:10 PM
    • 1,066 Posts
    • 480 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Similar has just happened to me.
    Checked online banking for something else, noted Sky have debited more than twice as much as it should be.
    Logged into My Sky and it's showing that *I* have made changes to my package. I haven't.
    I'm on a deal till the end of January next year.
    I'm now £50 down in my bank account unexpectedly and don't get paid for another week.
    Can't get through on the phone at all.
    Originally posted by Dawning
    Ty the sms option through the My Sky App, I had success with that and it saves sitting on hold forever.

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Websites/Sky-s-messaging-service-the-new-easy-way-to-contact-us/td-p/2583924
    • Boohoo
    • By Boohoo 22nd Sep 17, 12:34 PM
    • 495 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    Boohoo
    I had a missed call from Sky on Sunday and they got hold of me today.
    The woman from exec team asked why i had complained as she was convinced that Sky had given me a good deal.
    The last 2 months of my 60% discount was not applied as Sky changed sports to Sports complete which mucked up the discount.
    I was meant to have £48 pm tv discount for the last 2 months but they charged full whack for September and more than i was paying before for Octobers bill.
    She stopped the discount for Sept/Oct bill and refunded me £96 and could not understand why the complaints team had not done that.
    She said the offer they applied for the last 2 months of my min term for sport/cinema was £96 saving over 6 months which would cover me for the overcharging but i would pay £32 for variety as Sky could not discount that as an offer was already on the account.
    I was paying £27.20 pm but with new offer £32 for variety and £20 for sport/cinema (after discount) making £52.20 pm which the rep thought was better than what i was paying before.
    She then said would i like to hand in my cancel request as i mentioned in the email i was thinking of leaving due to being messed about but i will do that at the end of this week as it will be 32 days to the end of my min term.
    Sky must be cutting down of dishing out deals as a gesture of good will and big discounts judging by the retention deals and come back offers i have seen on here and d/spy.
    I got my £96 back which i was overcharged so i am ok with that.
    This was my response after i was also wrongly overcharged for 2 months of my 60% 12 month discount and Sky changed the last 2 months discount as Sky put the "new" Sports Complete package onto my account and messed up my billing. It is sorted now and mysky account shows the credit being put into the account.

Ty the sms option through the My Sky App, I had success with that and it saves sitting on hold forever.
    It seems a good idea but in my case they do take a long time to reply and you have to reply within a few mins of Sky sms if not they close the query down as you have not replied and they think you are sorted.
    Also i find writing the text takes ages if you have a lot of explaining to do to Sky and also lots of people can't be waiting for Sky to respond if they are working or say driving.
    There have been a lot of Sky users moaning about this on Sky user and Sky's own help forums.
    Hope you get this sorted quick.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 22nd Sep 17, 9:00 PM
    • 1,066 Posts
    • 480 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    It seems a good idea but in my case they do take a long time to reply and you have to reply within a few mins of Sky sms if not they close the query down as you have not replied and they think you are sorted.
    Also i find writing the text takes ages if you have a lot of explaining to do to Sky and also lots of people can't be waiting for Sky to respond if they are working or say driving.
    There have been a lot of Sky users moaning about this on Sky user and Sky's own help forums.
    Hope you get this sorted quick.
    Originally posted by Boohoo
    That certainly wasn't true in my case anyway, my text conversation took place over nearly 7 hours, at least 6 hours from their first response to resolution.
    • quoit
    • By quoit 22nd Sep 17, 10:41 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    quoit
    They've amended my next bill (due 27 September) to take into account and make amends for the previous months overcharging for the Sky Sports package, but this is then swiftly followed by them charging me an additional £10 referred to as an Offer Administration Fee! They are clearly making it up as they go along.

I'm not going to waste my time trying to get through on the phone about the £10 admin fee. Time to call it a day. My cancellation is going ahead with TV services due to be switched off on October 2nd.
    Last edited by quoit; 22-09-2017 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Misspelling
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,033Posts Today

8,778Users online

Martin's Twitter