Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 1st Sep 17, 2:31 PM
    • 3,583Posts
    • 2,926Thanks
    dekaspace
    Suction cups for bathroom items.
    • 1st Sep 17, 2:31 PM
    Suction cups for bathroom items. 1st Sep 17 at 2:31 PM
    I had a suction cup type metal holder for toiletries in my bathroom, was there about 5 months with no problems apart from it tipped to one side often.

A few weeks back it toppled over totally and now won't hold back up, I have tried things like use adhesive on the suction cup and use force to hold it on for a few minutes then leave about 2 or 3 days.

Minutes after putting a empty metal tray on it rips from wall again.

Is there a way to increase suction so it doesn't fall off or do I have to get screw mounts.
Page 1
    • Grenage
    • By Grenage 1st Sep 17, 3:13 PM
    • 1,312 Posts
    • 1,241 Thanks
    Grenage
    • 1st Sep 17, 3:13 PM
    • 1st Sep 17, 3:13 PM
    Suction cups are a sure way to chip/smash a bath or shower. Do it properly with screws.
    • d0nkeyk0ng
    • By d0nkeyk0ng 1st Sep 17, 3:25 PM
    • 472 Posts
    • 172 Thanks
    d0nkeyk0ng
    • 1st Sep 17, 3:25 PM
    • 1st Sep 17, 3:25 PM
    Are the suction cups still soft and pliable? Or have they become firm and brittle? I've never tried adhesive but have used some water to make it wet and improve the vacuum seal.

Is what you're putting into the holder too heavy?
    • rach_k
    • By rach_k 1st Sep 17, 7:39 PM
    • 1,052 Posts
    • 1,806 Thanks
    rach_k
    • 1st Sep 17, 7:39 PM
    • 1st Sep 17, 7:39 PM
    Have you cleaned the wall behind it, then washed the suction cup in warm water and allowed it to air dry?

It may just be that over time things have gotten grubby so it won't stick properly. If you do need to replace them due to ageing of the materials, I find the Ikea suction cup bathroom accessories very good. They're plastic so very light themselves and, of course, cheap! If they do ever fall off, being plastic they won't damage anything.
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 7th Sep 17, 1:20 AM
    • 3,583 Posts
    • 2,926 Thanks
    dekaspace
    • 7th Sep 17, 1:20 AM
    • 7th Sep 17, 1:20 AM
    Tried it again with proper blob of adhesive and now it sticks up, but still tipping on one side.

What I think may be the issue is I got it for £1 as something was missing, did notice when it fell down before there was a 2nd hole for a 2nd suction cup so I guess if I put one there as well it will stop the tipping as its on left of the tray, and right now the weight balance makes tray tip to the left.

So the problem is finding a suction cup which has that screw piece on to fit on.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,497Posts Today

9,554Users online

Martin's Twitter