Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 1st Sep 17, 1:17 PM
    • 356Posts
    • 1,483Thanks
    Betterthanever
    New but not new - Year 1 of 5!
    • 1st Sep 17, 1:17 PM
    New but not new - Year 1 of 5! 1st Sep 17 at 1:17 PM
    Hi! I'm a re-joining member of old.....and whilst I'm reluctant to give up my previous 10,000 post count, I also don't fancy ex husband following my every move as I go into this next exciting chapter of life! I was a DFW stalwart for years, but am pleased to announce am on the MFW journey....with vigour

I've not been on the boards for a while but it's lovely to see some familiar names and it's comforting having made the decision to come back!

I'm mid 40s, kids are grown up and more or less independent (one just moved out and one still creating mess at home). I'm lucky enough to have met a fabulous man who was mad enough to marry me a couple of years ago, and life is just the best.

The house is mine as I bought ex-h out in the divorce, which means the mortgage is also mine. We have plans and desires to start reducing our working stresses in 5 years time and oh can start drawing his lump sum and his pension then if he wishes. As we both lost out dads at 55, we are mindful of the fact we are not here forever. On the other hand we are fit and healthy so would hope to have a good few years to enjoy life ahead of us.

We love to spend time together and travel and want to do more of this without being tied into 5 weeks annual leave allowance!

So....all this starts with the fact my fixed rate comes to an end soon. I can switch on 31st October. The remaining term should be 11 years but I've done my calculations and reckon if I take a 5 year fixed rate, I can finish it off when that comes to an end....taking me to 52 and OH to 56 so still plenty of years ahead of us for living!

My starting point is a current mortgage figure of £116,879.11. It's no small challenge but I'm no stranger to that and I'm going to enjoy this one an awful lot

I feel like I've come home.....
    Last edited by Betterthanever; 03-11-2017 at 8:45 AM.
Page 5
    • Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 8th Sep 17, 9:47 PM
    • 356 Posts
    • 1,483 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    Thank you. I've already registered for the swago thing....have joined the fb group and picking up tips from there. I won't ever get loads from it as I don't have the time that I once did....but I'm happy with whatever comes my way!!

Current balance £115,428.65. Offset £1,775.31. £113,653.34 needed to be mortgage neutral!
    End date - 03/29 but aiming for 10/22
    Money for Nothing pot = £392.99
    Former DFW Nerd 230. Determined to be MF. Bring it on!
    • Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 11th Sep 17, 7:46 AM
    • 356 Posts
    • 1,483 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    Monday again. We had a good weekend away for the Great North Run although I am shattered now....it's a long way from home! Still, it was good. Quite expensive, as expected, although DH paid a fair bit of it too, so it could be worse. I shall be updating my spending diary today and set this week's grocery challenges.

Have been making use of the 25p off Costa when using your own travel cup....that's definitely saved a few £ this weekend!

DH is a little sceptical about the survey sites and clicks.... doesn't see how they will make me money. Little does he know I am an old hand at such things. The gauntlet has been laid down and I will be setting myself a target that will pay for a fab holiday when we are MF..... doubters may doubt....but they won't do so for long

Have a good week

Current balance £115,428.65. Offset £1,775.31. £113,653.34 needed to be mortgage neutral!
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 11th Sep 17, 8:36 AM
    • 28,035 Posts
    • 154,082 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Monday again. We had a good weekend away for the Great North Run although I am shattered now....it's a long way from home! Still, it was good. Quite expensive, as expected, although DH paid a fair bit of it too, so it could be worse. I shall be updating my spending diary today and set this week's grocery challenges.
    Originally posted by Betterthanever
    I bet it was a great atmosphere I'm afraid my grocery challenge these days is finding the delivery slots that only cost £1 - it saves me a lot of time and energy in getting everything delivered, and a single tiny little pound is a compromise I'm willing to make. No more unless its an emergency though

Have been making use of the 25p off Costa when using your own travel cup....that's definitely saved a few £ this weekend!
    I didn't know about that! I have a travel much (from a charity shop ) so I'll be stashing that in my sister's car, possibly

DH is a little sceptical about the survey sites and clicks.... doesn't see how they will make me money. Little does he know I am an old hand at such things. The gauntlet has been laid down and I will be setting myself a target that will pay for a fab holiday when we are MF..... doubters may doubt....but they won't do so for long

Have a good week
    Abso-bleeping-lutely a woman on a mission. Financially independent, Retiring Early

You're going to be there *so* fast now that thats your goal

Save
    Retired August 2016
    • Pooky
    • By Pooky 11th Sep 17, 9:21 AM
    • 6,724 Posts
    • 41,557 Thanks
    Pooky
    Ohhhhh, I know who you are! So great to see you back. It was your diaries that really inspired me to get debt free and now mortgage free(wannabe).

Hope there's good news on the hip soon, must be so ruddy annoying!
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
    • Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 11th Sep 17, 9:33 AM
    • 356 Posts
    • 1,483 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    KC, Nero let you use your own mug too....extra reward stamps are given I think. It all helps when you rely on your coffee as much as I do!!

Nice to see you Pooky!! I'm so glad so many of us have made it over to MFW!

I've set a modest clicks and survey target so that I don't let it take over (I have a life now, which I certainly didn't have first time round!!), But it is a doable target that will prove quite a lot in time!!

• Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 11th Sep 17, 7:30 PM
    • 356 Posts
    • 1,483 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    So.... I've requested my first £5 cash out. I won't count it until it is in my account, but it's a start in my "prove-a-point" mission. Storecupboard dinner.....tuna and sweetcorn pasta bake with extra veg. First shopmium refund requested and the ticket machine on the bus wasn't working so a free ride home and the resulting£1.80 saving transferred into the extra savings pot.

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Sep 17, 8:31 PM
    • 48,483 Posts
    • 178,323 Thanks
    beanielou
    Glad you had a great weekend and all went well
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 11th Sep 17, 8:38 PM
    • 714 Posts
    • 6,289 Thanks
    pinkypig
    So.... I've requested my first £5 cash out. I won't count it until it is in my account, but it's a start in my "prove-a-point" mission. Storecupboard dinner.....tuna and sweetcorn pasta bake with extra veg. First shopmium refund requested and the ticket machine on the bus wasn't working so a free ride home and the resulting£1.80 saving transferred into the extra savings pot.
    Originally posted by Betterthanever
    Good luck proving your point with knobs on - you'll definitely do it now!
    I did my first Shopium request last week and they paid up really quickly
    • Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 11th Sep 17, 8:58 PM
    • 356 Posts
    • 1,483 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    When I was on mse before, my then husband was very aware of all the extra ways we got the cash in so it was easy to just get on with it. My new, fabulous, lovely husband is financially savvy but not really aware of the *real* MSE methods. He'll learn, though!!

I'm looking forward to receiving the first few extra £££!

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 12th Sep 17, 10:12 AM
    • 28,035 Posts
    • 154,082 Thanks
    Karmacat
    I'm going through the same issues with my *brother*, believe it or not. We talk much more than we used to, and he regards himself as financially savvy because when he was raising his kids he was poor (because he was injured at work) and because he enjoys shopping at Lidl etc. But he's never changed utilities provider, even, so he has quite a way to go. I did persuade him to open a savings account, so he's definitely listening to some thing

I don't know anything about shopmium better look for a thread on the shopping forum here!
    Save
    Retired August 2016
    • maia_evo
    • By maia_evo 12th Sep 17, 1:38 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 200 Thanks
    maia_evo
    I am doing the same looking for "Shopium". #alwayslearning
    Take care of the here and now and the future will be taken care of.
    MFW 2017 £6000 (currently £5201) | Product Sales Target 10 (currently 2) | Tesco CC £5116.50 - £0
    • Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 12th Sep 17, 1:48 PM
    • 356 Posts
    • 1,483 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    If you do joint and want to use my referral code it is ha2d6

Free ice cream for starters.....what's not to like!!

• maia_evo
    • By maia_evo 12th Sep 17, 1:50 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 200 Thanks
    maia_evo
    BTN - my searching isn't going well. Can you post link for more info, happy to use your referral code when I find out what it is.

EDIT: found this http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5441851
    Take care of the here and now and the future will be taken care of.
    MFW 2017 £6000 (currently £5201) | Product Sales Target 10 (currently 2) | Tesco CC £5116.50 - £0
    • Thistlewhistle
    • By Thistlewhistle 12th Sep 17, 2:11 PM
    • 1,017 Posts
    • 7,208 Thanks
    Thistlewhistle
    Hi Betterthanever

Looking forward to following your progress!!

Thistle
    Mortgage at end 05/2007: £90,200
    Mortgage at end 08/2017: £74,230 paid £15,970 (17.70%)
    MFD: Original:05/2042 Projected:08/2031 saving 10yr 9 mth

CC Debt (0% until 06/2020): £5,640 : £2,369 to go (40% cleared)To clear by 12/2017 or sooner!
    Dave Ramsey Baby Step #1: £0,322/£1,000 (32.2%)

Age of Money at 31/03/2017 = 40 days

YNAB is changing the way I live my life....and spend my money!!
    • Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 12th Sep 17, 2:17 PM
    • 356 Posts
    • 1,483 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    Hi Maia_evo of you go onto the app store you can download the shopmium app. It's dead easy to use and you'll soon be scanning in your receipts! They seem to be really efficient too..I'm pleased so far.

Hi thistle....nice to see you!

• benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 12th Sep 17, 6:07 PM
    • 10,241 Posts
    • 26,279 Thanks
    benbenandme
    Thank you for using my referral code Betterthanever, £4 credit for me
    Mortgage Total: £75,000 £73,315 Mortgage End Date: May 2040
    Brother's loan: £3919 / £25,000
    Holiday Fund: £495 / £1800
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 12th Sep 17, 6:09 PM
    • 10,241 Posts
    • 26,279 Thanks
    benbenandme
    Oops, posted too soon ...

I meant to say that whenever there is a "Try me free" offer I always get it - some of them I use and some I put in my store box to put away for a few extra random goodies over Xmas, eg. there are quite often free beer / ciders from Asda, I don't drink but stockpile them all so that when people come round at Christmas I've got a few bottles in they can help themselves to
    Mortgage Total: £75,000 £73,315 Mortgage End Date: May 2040
    Brother's loan: £3919 / £25,000
    Holiday Fund: £495 / £1800
    • Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 12th Sep 17, 7:13 PM
    • 356 Posts
    • 1,483 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    You're welcome, bbam!

I got my refund today and my swagbucks payout that I only requested last night....very impressed. And the first square of my "prove a point" mission chart has been filled in.

I was supposed to go to the football tonight but it's getting stormy and I don't fancy the walk back to the car on crutches in the wet. So we will stay home.....an unexpected NSD as a result

• Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 13th Sep 17, 4:17 PM
    • 356 Posts
    • 1,483 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    One thing I have noticed from my break away from MSE is how much technology has changed. I now have a phone full of apps....coupon apps, receipt uploading apps, survey apps, push button notification options cashback scanners, bank account apps, budgeting widget thingies, calculators, spreadsheets, blah blah blah.

In the old days I just had a big notebook with debits, credits and bookies' passwords! I'm not sure which I prefer but I'm doing my best to embrace it all!!

• Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 13th Sep 17, 9:25 PM
    • 356 Posts
    • 1,483 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    Surveys done and another £5 withdrawn for the prove-a-point mission. I'm.using this to build a pot with which I can start matched betting again. (Another thing that DH doesn't get). It gives me plenty of time to read up on it again and get up to speed before I make a daft mistake! The plan is to build a reasonable sized fund from literally nothing only using what I make to make more so that I never risk real budgeted money if that makes sense!!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

79Posts Today

2,578Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin