Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 1st Sep 17, 1:17 PM
    • 363Posts
    • 1,509Thanks
    Betterthanever
    New but not new - Year 1 of 5!
    • 1st Sep 17, 1:17 PM
    New but not new - Year 1 of 5! 1st Sep 17 at 1:17 PM
    Hi! I'm a re-joining member of old.....and whilst I'm reluctant to give up my previous 10,000 post count, I also don't fancy ex husband following my every move as I go into this next exciting chapter of life! I was a DFW stalwart for years, but am pleased to announce am on the MFW journey....with vigour

I've not been on the boards for a while but it's lovely to see some familiar names and it's comforting having made the decision to come back!

I'm mid 40s, kids are grown up and more or less independent (one just moved out and one still creating mess at home). I'm lucky enough to have met a fabulous man who was mad enough to marry me a couple of years ago, and life is just the best.

The house is mine as I bought ex-h out in the divorce, which means the mortgage is also mine. We have plans and desires to start reducing our working stresses in 5 years time and oh can start drawing his lump sum and his pension then if he wishes. As we both lost out dads at 55, we are mindful of the fact we are not here forever. On the other hand we are fit and healthy so would hope to have a good few years to enjoy life ahead of us.

We love to spend time together and travel and want to do more of this without being tied into 5 weeks annual leave allowance!

So....all this starts with the fact my fixed rate comes to an end soon. I can switch on 31st October. The remaining term should be 11 years but I've done my calculations and reckon if I take a 5 year fixed rate, I can finish it off when that comes to an end....taking me to 52 and OH to 56 so still plenty of years ahead of us for living!

My starting point is a current mortgage figure of £116,879.11. It's no small challenge but I'm no stranger to that and I'm going to enjoy this one an awful lot

I feel like I've come home.....
    Last edited by Betterthanever; 03-11-2017 at 8:45 AM.
Page 4
    • Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 6th Sep 17, 4:58 PM
    • 363 Posts
    • 1,509 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    Haha, that really made me smile, KC! I'm just so glad there are so many old timers (said in the nicest possible way!) around. I would have loved to have kept my old user name (and the lovely medals that were attached to it) but it is safer to start again. I'm loving all the new diaries too..... working my way through them steadily.

NSD so far today and I expect it to stay that way. Plus the phone bill came in under budget so a little extra being transferred over to the offset pot as we speak.

I'm still using up the food I have in at home so think today will be some sort of vegetable cheesy bake with quarter pounders for dinner. It's eclectic but it's paid for

Oh, and my 5 year diary arrives! It starts 1st January which is a bit of a shame because I had hoped it would be undated and I could start it now, bit other than that it is fabulous and will see me through my journey with great pleasure.

Current balance £115,428.65. Offset £1,775.31. £113,653.34 needed to be mortgage neutral!
    End date - 03/29 but aiming for 10/22
    Money for Nothing pot = £392.99
    Former DFW Nerd 230. Determined to be MF. Bring it on!
    • michelle09
    • By michelle09 6th Sep 17, 6:08 PM
    • 395 Posts
    • 1,466 Thanks
    michelle09
    Will you start on the five year notebook now or wait until January 1st?
    • Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 6th Sep 17, 7:15 PM
    • 363 Posts
    • 1,509 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    I shall make do with my Mse notebook (a freebie from work) for the next few weeks and then hit 2018 using the new diary with a vengeance!!!

Current balance £115,428.65. Offset £1,775.31. £113,653.34 needed to be mortgage neutral!
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 7th Sep 17, 6:32 AM
    • 714 Posts
    • 6,316 Thanks
    pinkypig
    I love the idea if a 5 year diary (even though my goal is seven years my secret one is five shhhh).
    The conundrum is do I spend £2.99 of my previous perrsonal spends on one?
    I've decided to use my usual spend strategy so its in my Amazon basket where it will stay for two days and by then I'll know if I really want it or not

I love your approach - totally focussed, you'll sail through this I'm sure. Good luck!

PP x
    • debtfreeoneday
    • By debtfreeoneday 7th Sep 17, 7:42 AM
    • 2,782 Posts
    • 9,511 Thanks
    debtfreeoneday
    We opened accounts with passbooks this week as well! Certainly takes away the urge to spend!
    DFW (08/08) £64,346.53
    Credit card debt: £3,346.29 over three credit cards.
    MFW (01/15) £118,031.21 £95,324.07
    • Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 7th Sep 17, 7:50 AM
    • 363 Posts
    • 1,509 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    It's strange, in some ways that going retro seems to be the way forwards for me! DH thought I was a bit lala to start with but when I explained that it was to deter me from transferring cash back into the current account for buying unnecessary stuff he was all for embracing the passbook mentality!!

Quarter of the way through September and no shoes bought.... something's working!

£3.68 of this week's grocery budget left to see us through to the end of tomorrow so that's doable. Shepherd's pie and veg for dinner tonight so no spends needed for that.

And I'm tentatively starting back on the survey trail again. I've signed up to sw*gb*cks and am steadily racking points up. I'm not setting myself any sort of target but will see how I go before I lose the will to throw my phone out of the window! Anything will be better than nothing, though.

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 7th Sep 17, 3:19 PM
    • 48,500 Posts
    • 178,458 Thanks
    beanielou
    Half way through September & no shoes bought== result
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • maia_evo
    • By maia_evo 7th Sep 17, 6:14 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 200 Thanks
    maia_evo
    [QUOTE=pinkypig;73090646
    I've decided to use my usual spend strategy so its in my Amazon basket where it will stay for two days and by then I'll know if I really want it or not

PP x[/QUOTE]

Nice one
    Take care of the here and now and the future will be taken care of.
    MFW 2017 £6000 (currently £5201) | Product Sales Target 10 (currently 2) | Tesco CC £5116.50 - £0
    • Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 7th Sep 17, 7:04 PM
    • 363 Posts
    • 1,509 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    A couple of surveys done today and a NSD. Not overly exciting but that's ok.....I can't live in the fast lane of the MFW motorway every day!!

• savingmore
    • By savingmore 7th Sep 17, 10:07 PM
    • 360 Posts
    • 2,296 Thanks
    savingmore
    omg indeed. saw yr post on bbandme thread and thought no, it can't be, but the kinda gave it away!
    you have been missed and you have made my evening. you are inspirational and i get inspired to cut back when you are on a roll!

ouch to hip (my mum just broke hers last week)...how did you do it?

subscribed.

• Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 7th Sep 17, 10:25 PM
    • 363 Posts
    • 1,509 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    I was training for a marathon.....and got a stress fracture! One minute I was running happily, the next minute I couldn't put one foot in front of the other. It happened 4 months ago so has been ages already.

Needless to say I'm not a happy bunny when I am curtailed, exercise wise.....

• savingmore
    • By savingmore 7th Sep 17, 10:49 PM
    • 360 Posts
    • 2,296 Thanks
    savingmore
    ohh that sounds nasty. did you have a dexa scan to check on yr bones? i ask for a reason....i hope so, but they are not necessarily doing this as a matter of course any more...

• Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 7th Sep 17, 11:04 PM
    • 363 Posts
    • 1,509 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    I was referred for one today after seeing my consultant. I'm quite young for such a fracture, apparently but I'm lucky enough to have Bupa cover through work so that helps.

• Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 8th Sep 17, 8:32 AM
    • 363 Posts
    • 1,509 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    So....the end of my first week back in MSE mode and I'm pleased with the start I've made. It won't be a nsd today as I have a couple of essentials to buy but it has kept me focused on spending this week so that's good.

We're off to Newcastle this weekend as DD is doing the Great North Run.....25 years since I did it, haha. It won't be a cheap weekend but we will try and keep it savvy as far as spending is concerned.

Storecupboard and freezer stuff is still being used happily. Today we have a joint of ys pork in the slow cooker for pulled pork, which I will serve with home made sweet potato wedges and baked beans for a perfect autumnal supper. I'm hoping to have a low spend week next week too to make up for the more spendy weekend.

Also planning on investigating music magpie and ziffit over the weekend. I never did those last time round but certainly have scope to do so now.

Happy Friday everyone!!

• savingmore
    • By savingmore 8th Sep 17, 10:59 AM
    • 360 Posts
    • 2,296 Thanks
    savingmore
    I was referred for one today after seeing my consultant. I'm quite young for such a fracture, apparently but I'm lucky enough to have Bupa cover through work so that helps.
    Originally posted by Betterthanever
    oh good. i broke my am 4 years agmafter a nasty fall and my daughter in law who is a doctor insisted i get one even though i didn't qualify under the guidelines. was diagnosed with osteopenia so have been able to make lifestyle changes to make sure i try and keep my bones in a tip top condition. it's a pre disease really but does give you a warning.

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 8th Sep 17, 6:45 PM
    • 48,500 Posts
    • 178,458 Thanks
    beanielou
    Have a great weekend
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 8th Sep 17, 7:49 PM
    • 363 Posts
    • 1,509 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    Thanks beanie. You too.

SM, this is not my first stress fracture, hence the need to have more investigation. I'm eating all the right things and already on supplements to help. There's a shortage of vitamin D this summer, though!!

20p over my weekly grocery target. I'm ok with that as I also bought my 5 year diary from that budget. Next week I have a budget of £40....but that doesn't include the weekend away.

£18 on a 10 trip bus ticket today too....I have no way of reducing this at the moment. When I am fixed, I shall get back on my bike a couple of days a week, but that is a way off yet.

• benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 8th Sep 17, 8:21 PM
    • 10,245 Posts
    • 26,299 Thanks
    benbenandme
    Free cider at Asda on shopmium
    Mortgage Total: £75,000 £73,315 Mortgage End Date: May 2040
    Brother's loan: £3972 / £25,000
    Holiday Fund: £495 / £1800
    • Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 8th Sep 17, 9:37 PM
    • 363 Posts
    • 1,509 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    Thank you bbam. We will be picking things up over the weekend. Because of the hip, I can't drive at the mo, so have to wait for someone else to ferry me around. The shops in walking distance of the office are not big enough to contain much more than the essentials. So frustrating!!

Close to cashing out on SB for the first time..... strangely excited

• benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 8th Sep 17, 9:44 PM
    • 10,245 Posts
    • 26,299 Thanks
    benbenandme
    A new round of Swago starts on monday on swagbucks. it's an easy way to rack up some points - basically its a board of things to do eg. complete daily poll, complete a survey etc ... and then you eanr points based on which ones you've completed. Sometimes one of the things on there to do is "Cash out" so it may be worth hanging on a couple of days before you do
    Mortgage Total: £75,000 £73,315 Mortgage End Date: May 2040
    Brother's loan: £3972 / £25,000
    Holiday Fund: £495 / £1800
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,298Posts Today

8,946Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Sneaky NAKED photo... ...of the room where many political and regional TV interviews are done. This is before the? https://t.co/fDdeKQOQuU

• The Premium Bond rate is being boosted from 1.15% to 1.4% should you pile in? My analysis... https://t.co/3Q7tjphAFO

• RT @colinjdunn: First #Plevin cheque received this morning - £548.66 from Nationwide & with other claims still outstanding - so thanks @Mar?

• Follow Martin